• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yip, another TWT noob

Reaction score
Greetings all. Now a signed up noob and making an attempt at becoming a contributor for a change. Per Tourmeister's induction requirement: herewith "some introductory stuff with pictures"
NW Houston (Cypress) is home. Run two, near-identical DR650's. There is a story behind that.
Funny how the character of two identical bikes can be so darn different! There's another story to be told there too.
Seen, read and deeply envied some pretty incredible trips by the forum contributors over the years. Holy cow! I have nothing of that scale to offer.
Did make it up to Arkansas in early June. You know... FSR's and that sort of stuff. Had a thoroughly excellent time. More river crossings in 4 days than a man could shake a stick at. Most importantly, it has given me access to 'some stuff with pictures' with which I hope to qualify. My son finally got around to compiling a short video from a few of the clips. Dropped by to show off his handiwork earlier today which spurred me onto publishing my TWT handshake effort. Will drop that here once I figure out / sign up for a media storage site. In the meantime you'll have to put up with a limited run of stills.
Planning to take a frostbite ride out west and back (all backroads) as far as 4 days off in Dec will allow me on a DR. Had put in many hrs of planning when out of the blue Hail dropped his Dirty Sisters post.... and that has ruined everything! Put my pitiful plans to shame but I fear it's all a bit further out than I think I can get accomplished, and not entirely confident of the track right now. Not having tackled the cold head-on before, be interested to hear the opinion of others. Is my timing really poor? Should I be planning on some garage-enclosed engine-maintenance or woodworking activity instead? I do realize of course, that if you were from anywhere other than the Gulf Coast, you'd never even ask this question.

Enjoy the pics. Incredibly beautiful area!

This is what most of the roads offered up. You'll probably remember end of May and early June we still seemed to be getting our fair share of rain back then.
The rain itself always held off while we rode. No complaints.

1-1.png

Many beautiful semi-derelict barn subjects...
2-1.jpg

Here's the typical water-crossing we encountered
3-1.png

Oark Cafe... a popular meet'n-eat spot
4-1.png

All roads converge at the Oark Cafe.

5-1.jpg

50% of us are cautious....the other 50% are not!
6-1.png

Looking for Rattlesnake falls
7-1.png

Not Rattlesnake falls... but we called it a win!
8-1.jpg

Welcome! Looks like you and those two DR's like to party. Great photos, and it looks like a really fun time. :thumb:

Howdy! Nice looking DRs and a great way to spend some time with your son.

Great intro post! Welcome to the party...

> Not having tackled the cold head-on before, be interested to hear the opinion of others.
Get heated gear.

If you get lucky with the weather, you can have some great rides in Dec, Jan in Texas. However, that can get dangerous pretty quickly. Loss of sensation in the hands and feet along with uncontrollable shivering is not a great combination. Add a little rain to really mess things up. But, a stretch of +50-ish sunny days makes for a great winter escape.

Welcome aboard! Love me some AR riding as well, and seeing your post just makes me long to head back up there. Check our GPS section for some local rides (yeah, definitely a bit tamer, but also closer). I'll be heading down to Big Bend in a few weeks, but just for a short trip. Weather there is kinder at this time of year.

Really appreciate the warm welcome's, ya'll.
Super responses. Thank you.

@ Jeff S: Looked into heated gear off the DR. Load-bearing capability a little disappointing. Maybe a stator upgrade? Running LED's off the front now and can manage a GPS (Gaia) charge. Think we might squeeze in heated grips, but that's about it. This is no GS or Africa Twin. Next best is to pray for dry weather.... which reverses everything I've been pleading for each parched day this year. Some folk are just hard to please!

@ Rydah: Invitation really appreciated. I'd jump at the opportunity. Never been, always keen. Will get there one day, but for now something like that would be best if I trailered out. Still staging / testing my long haul capability. Right now my own seat can match that of the DR's in close-quarter combat for a maximum of 2½ hrs.... then one of us needs to stop. As a consequence, breakfasts, lunches, and areas of interest are planned at 2½ hr intervals. This actually turns out to be quite a large constraint in planning.... so a trailer is definitely in my future.

Great intro! Welcome to the forum.

Heated gear is wonderful but as you know it really sucks up the available power from a bike. Heated grips and some Hippo Hands might be a good start, but I don't know how much off-roading you would want to do with those HH on the front bars.

@ Rydah: Invitation really appreciated. I'd jump at the opportunity. Never been, always keen. Will get there one day, but for now something like that would be best if I trailered out. Still staging / testing my long haul capability. Right now my own seat can match that of the DR's in close-quarter combat for a maximum of 2½ hrs.... then one of us needs to stop. As a consequence, breakfasts, lunches, and areas of interest are planned at 2½ hr intervals. This actually turns out to be quite a large constraint in planning.... so a trailer is definitely in my future.
Oh, heck no! I'm hauling mine out there in the back of my truck; no way I want to tackle long street rides on that thing, even with the comfort seat.

Welcome!

Save Memorial weekend for a hill country dirty ride and get together. Rumor has it we will make Junction our HQ this year.

Welcome,

I also have two yellow DR-650's and live at 249 & BLTW-8 In NW Houston.
I've been running electric vests and/or jacket liners and have never run out of juice on my DR's.
Their are sweet with a good jacket.

Welcome,

I've been running electric vests and/or jacket liners and have never run out of juice on my DR's.
Wow! That's really good to know. What are we talking about? ~75w or more?

Welcome,

Meant to ask you: What sort of riding do you do with those yellow DR's? Where do you ride?
I've popped on a set of Golden boys for now and try to get a few hrs in over the odd weekend. I can sometimes get my son and his buddy to tag along if I bribe with food and gas, but they'll ride their street bikes...leaving me tapped out. Mostly just conjure up what looks like it might be an interesting loop the night before and give it a go. Just gunkholing the back roads with a few dirt surprises. I avoid the highway at all times. Totally the wrong bike & wrong tires for that. Scares me. Give me back the GSX1100 from many years ago and I'd be fine (I tell myself that).
This could be classed as boring on a DR, but I enjoy getting out of the house and riding. Occasional sprint for SHNF helps.
Can put back the knobbies if something interesting comes up.

I've been looking for a replacement heated vest . Found that each manufacturer has proprietary wires and switches or thermostats that can run up the price considerably.
The two vests I'm stuck on are the Areostitchs and Girbings.
I run straight off the battery, hanging the power cord with fuse thru the frame on either side for the vest
All I require is a on/off switch on a coiled cord.

I've been looking for a replacement heated vest . Found that each manufacturer has proprietary wires and switches or thermostats that can run up the price considerably.
The two vests I'm stuck on are the Areostitchs and Girbings.
I run straight off the battery, hanging the power cord with fuse thru the frame on either side for the vest
All I require is a on/off switch on a coiled cord.
I have the Gerbinings, and have ridden in down to 24 degrees, and had it set on 1 and 1, and it was great!! I can't imagine turning it up much higher, but I was also wearing 3 layers!!

Back