• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fort Worth to Broken Bow, OK on a 250

Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
So, last weekend my wife and I shared a nice cabin with some friends in Beaver's Bend State Park in Broken Bow, OK. I managed to convince her to ride up there with me on my Suzuki TU250X, which was surprising because she's only ridden with me one other time before. This was my first "longer" ride (500+ miles when all was said and done), I usually just commute to work or ride around the metroplex area. I really enjoyed taking the tree-lined back roads, and this trip was the best riding I've done so far in my short riding career...

Anyway, this isn't much of a ride report, nothing TOO exciting- I just wanted to share a few pictures. Let me first say that I am not the picture-taking type. I like to say that I prefer to live life and experience things as opposed to worrying about documenting them... Not that I don't appreciate living vicariously through other people's photos, though! That said, please pardon the bad photos- they were taken with my trusty old 1st-gen 2G iPhone... :sun:

The trip began with us dropping off my daughter at my mom's and then us dropping off our bags in Fort Worth, loading them into our friend's roomy extended cab F-250. It sure is nice being able to take a trip on a motorcycle and not have to worry about where to put luggage! The first part of the ride was the most boring- slabbing it out on 121 up to Bonham. The wind was strong, the traffic fast. We were humming along at anywhere between 55-65mph as grade and wind conditions allowed... :rider: We stopped in McKinney for gas and to stretch, at least the most grueling part was over with. After that, we continued on 121 to Bonham, stopping there briefly at a not-very-picturesque gas station to stretch, snack and look at the crappy directions I had printed out from Google...

We continued on toward Paris, TX... Stopping occasionally to stretch. My wife was surprised at how tired and sore she would get riding pillion. The TU is definitely no Goldwing! But, to her credit, she soldiered on... I finally disciplined myself to stop and take a picture once we got to Paris:

parissignphoto.jpg

parissign2photo.jpg

We rode through Paris, admiring the quaint town square AND the notion that Texas small towns can be both rural AND ghetto... :lol2:

At this point, my crappy Google Maps directions failed me a little and we got turned around. I eventually righted myself, stopped at a gas station to verify I was on the right track, and rode FM195 out of Paris up toward Oklahoma. I knew that I was basically going to be on this road for a while, so I just enjoyed the scenery instead of paying attention to road signs. At some point, the road was perfect- lots of curves (at least for my nonexistent experience), no traffic around whatsoever, pine trees all around... I was really digging it. I did start to wonder to myself why I wasn't noticing any of the town names that I had expected to see on my map, but oh well- why worry? :sun:

Then my "low fuel" light came on. Hmm, time to start looking for a gas station. We drove on a while longer, seemingly in the middle of nowhere and not passing a single town, gas station or major road artery...

Until we hit Pat Mayse Lake. No wonder its so nice out here, this is a wildlife reserve! And one that I know only from seeing on the map- it's WAY north of where we're supposed to be! :doh: Needless to say, my wife was NOT amused...

"Do you know where to go from here?"
"Um no, not exactly"
"Well, look at the map..."
"It cuts off just below here, I wasn't planning to be THIS far north"
'Well, how are we on gas?"
"We're almost out..."
:sun:

At this point, the battery on her smart phone was dying so no GPS. I'm too cheap to pay for a data plan, so unless this state park had wifi I was S.O.L... But hey, this place is beautiful, let's take some pictures!

stateparkstopphoto.jpg

statepark2photo.jpg

Those are the only two with the bike in them, I know they don't show much. Once again, I'm no photog. But there was a road going over the dam and a picturesque lake and lots of trees. It was beautiful, and you'll just have to take my word for it. :rofl:

We eventually got back on the road, stopped someone for directions but he wasn't from the area... We stumbled onto a major road, found a gas station and got some good directions. Turns out we were only a mile from the Oklahoma border, so with a new improvised route taking us up 271 to 70 to Idabel, we were on our way! At this point we were just tucked in, trying to haul *** because we were behind schedule and had people waiting for us at the cabin already. It seems like we were having to stop a lot to stretch at this point, just pulling over to the side of the road for a couple minutes before hopping back on. Here's a random photo of some unimportant place in OK when we stopped one time (What a photo op! Aren't you glad you're along for this ride?):

randomokphoto.jpg

If I remember correctly, at that particular stop, we were discussing the relative merits of backrests and fairings/windshields... :mrgreen:

After falling in behind a bunch of bikers on Harleys for a few miles, we eventually reach Broken Bow and found our cabin. What a sight for sore eyes (we had been on the road over 5 hours at this point)!

cabinphoto.jpg

The cabin was AWESOME! Really tall ceilings, modern decor... We did lots of beer drinking on the deck, hanging out in the hot tub, etc... :trust:

Here's a picture of a mural on the side of a building I spotted in Broken Bow, so I thought it made a decent photo op:

graffitiphoto.jpg

I also enjoyed a nice long ride around Beaver's Bend State Park while my wife and friends were doing some horseback riding:

parksignphoto.jpg

beaversbendphoto.jpg

damphoto.jpg

bbphoto.jpg

But all too soon, it was time for the ride home! There were reports of serious storms both northwest of us and in DFW... It sprinkled a little where we were but nothing too bad. I have rain gear, my wife does not so she opted to ride home with our friends. I don't blame her...

I only stopped for one picture on the way home during a brief respite from occasional showers. It started coming down pretty hard once I got onto the slab in McKinney, but that was the home stretch!

This was just on the side of the road somewhere between Paris and Bonham:

wayhomephoto.jpg

Anyway, it was a great trip. The first of many. Thanks for tuning in!

Great ride report. That's a pretty good haul on a 250. I hope to headed up that way soon myself

Your wife is definitely a trooper to spend 5 hours on the back of that bike. Glad you had a good trip.

Thanks for the report. Yep, you're wife's a trooper. I suspect my wife would've declined the offer to ride to OK.

Your wife deserves a nice evening out for that. Glad to see a ride report with a smaller bike. I think touring on smaller bikes is one of the most overlooked/ignored areas ofmotorcycling.

Good report.

Yeah, my wife was a good sport. She appreciates that someone understands her plight, rather than just make fun of her for whining like our friends did... :lol2:

She just forwarded me a pic she snapped of me when we got lost:

imag0654c.jpg

I agree about the fun of touring on a small bike. I think more people are beginning to get it now...

Nice report :thumb: Looks like you'll had a fun trip.
On the subject of small bikes thats a lot bigger than the one I used to ride :lol2:
I used to tour up to 500 km trips on a old school Kawasaki single cylinder 100 cc that produced a mere 11bhp . Of course I was a lot younger and lighter then :trust:
Sometimes simple is just more fun.

Attachments

• KB100.jpg
    KB100.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Sounds like a fun time! Anyone who says you can't do some distance on a 250 doesn't know what they're talking about! I did 3,200 miles in four days a couple years back on an EX250 and had no problems :D

... a pic she snapped of me when we got lost....
I agree about the fun of touring on a small bike. I think more people are beginning to get it now...

Lost? No, not lost, just a little extra exploring. :sun: And I too am understanding small bike touring after 3 rides on my KLX250, especially when most of the route is off the "main thoroughfares."

I used to tour up to 500 km trips on a old school Kawasaki single cylinder 100 cc that produced a mere 11bhp . Of course I was a lot younger and lighter then :trust:
Sometimes simple is just more fun.

Nice! That little Kawasaki is cool. I agree about the simplicity thing. I bought the TU250 because its a simple, classicly-styled, one-cylinder machine that I can maintain myself, but also happens to be brand-new.

Sounds like a fun time! Anyone who says you can't do some distance on a 250 doesn't know what they're talking about! I did 3,200 miles in four days a couple years back on an EX250 and had no problems :D

Wow! 3,200 miles on a 250 in 4 days is hardcore...

Lost? No, not lost, just a little extra exploring. :sun: And I too am understanding small bike touring after 3 rides on my KLX250, especially when most of the route is off the "main thoroughfares."

Yeah, a little extra exploring I was glad I got to do. I kept telling my wife that it was all "part of the adventure".

Nice! That little Kawasaki is cool. I agree about the simplicity thing. I bought the TU250 because its a simple, classicly-styled, one-cylinder machine that I can maintain myself, but also happens to be brand-new.

You said the KEY word there ' Maintain yourself ' No costly dealer visits and parts are simple and much more easy to get.

Looks like a fun time to me, I'm planning a trip to Turner Falls in a few weeks on my 250 and you've given me great hope.

And theres no way in the world my wife would consider that distance on the bike.. ok, who am I trying to kid? My wife wont TOUCH my bike much less ride on it. Sounds like you've got a keeper for sure.

Pre planned routes are good just in case you can't find anywhere to explore... ;-)

Two up on a 250... She must really love you :lol2:

Two up on a TU IS the adventure! What a trooper of a wife you have! I don't think I could have done two up on my TU and I admire your spirit for going for it.

Back