• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Escape to Witch... er... The Smoky Mountains! May 19-26, 2012

Re: Escape to Witch... er... The Smoky Mountains!

Thanks Scott, what happened was....as we were wandering around down town BlueRidge, Ga. A beautiful little town right out of a story book, and started staring at the listings taped to the front window, you can see them in this picture.

Ducktown-Tennessee-Mountain-L.jpg

A young lady came out to empty the trash, we started talking with her....and before you know it, we were introduced to the Realtor on duty, a very nice lady of about 50. You know how you thro a hook in the water with a worm wiggling on it....teasing the fish...hook the fish and then yank to firmly set the hook...............Well after 4 days of sun up to sun down....just looking for fun....You Know.........Kind of like my Mom and Dad used to do when they went what they called..."Recreational Car Shopping", having fun driving all the fun cars at various dealerships. We ended up finding a place that everything came together perfectly. Mz Pam and I, the seller, the realtor, the builder and the developer sat down together in the living room pictured above and in 30 minutes we hammered out what we thought was a great deal. We close on the place June 12. Won't move there until this place sells.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-) :rider:

I am familiar with Blue Ridge and have ridden through there several times. To say that there is exceptional riding in the immediate area would be a severe understatement!!

:tab So where was I...?

:tab Ellijay... Little Ellijay... Walnut Creek and Pine Creek... Oh yes, now I know where I am again! We head East on Pine Creek Rd., paved and great fun like so many in the area. Pine Creek runs around the North side of the Thorpe Reservoir and drops us out onto Hwy 107. It is starting to get late in the day. The sun is slowly sinking behind the trees and the shadows are getting long. It is by no means dark, but it won't be too much longer before the tinted visors become as big an issue as tender and sore rumps.

:tab Now, if you take a look at a map and draw a line straight East from where Pine Creek Rd., drops out on 107, you will see a series of roads that roughly track due East but that appear as if they had been laid out by a stumbling drunkard. Every map I have shows this as Big Ridge Rd. My plan is to run Big Ridge, North Robinson Creek, Forest Dale, Great Falls, Ryemountain, Great Falls again, some unamed and probably not open road over to Rock Bridge, and then run Hwy 281 to Silverstein Road and basically run that all the way back over to Macedonia Church Road and finally NC 215. Did you find all that...? Look at it! Tell me that doesn't look like it would be a real hoot...

:tab Well... it might be... if we could find the !#$% start of the road! :doh:

:tab We head South on Hwy 107 a short way to Bee Tree Creek Rd., and turn left. Now, according to my maps, immediately after turning, we should see another left that is the start of Big Ridge. I see trees and dense undergrowth... So we carry on and run down Bee Tree Creek Rd. It's a fun road... with lots of great curves and fast elevation changes... but... and I am not talking about sore nether regions of the body... but... it is not going where I want to go... :ponder: In fact, we are just making a big loop back toward Hwy 107. I stop at Cedar Creek Rd., to look over the map and ponder our options. With the sun going down, it is starting to get a tad chilly and we all decide to add some layers. There is talk of just running on down Hwy 107 to US 64 and "slabbing" it back to 215, as if you could really think of 64 in the normal sense of of boring highway :lol2: However, they guys agree to run back up 107 so we can take a closer look for the start of Big Ridge.

:tab I run up to where the map shows it starting... trees and weeds. I run up 107 a little bit looking for ANY road that cuts over to the East. Nothing. Well... there are times when prudence is the best course of action. With our light fading, we probably don't need to be getting out in the middle of nowhere on roads of unknown condition or that might not even be there, and have it get dark. Heaven forbid someone gets a flat or has a more serious problem. So we make a committee decision to head for Cashiers and pick up US 64.

:tab We quickly reach Cashiers and turn East on US 64. 64 really is a very nice road and has some great twisty sections that demand our full attention. The only real down side is that it is the only semi major artery running East/West in this area and so it tends to have a lot of traffic on it. Sunday evening appears not to be a heavy traffic time so it is actually quite nice. The other interesting thing about it is that it is lined on both sides with all these massive developments. They all have lakes and golf courses. I am not sure if they are actually home developments, resorts of some kind, or both. Regardless, there are a LOT nicely landscaped entrances with locked gates to keep out the riff-raff. I don't know who comes here? Movie stars, bankers, lawyers, doctors, government employees? Whatever...

:tab The stock headlight on a KTM 530 has a bulb and it does light up, but that is about all you can say about it. You can see it in the dark, but it is pretty much worthless for actually seeing in the dark. The first time I tried riding this bike in the dark, it scared me to death and that was in a residential neighborhood. So I bought an aftermarket light for the bike. Well... it is not much better. The low beam is aimed way too low and can't be adjusted any higher and it seems my high beam is burned out :doh: My adventures always seem to involve riding in the dark so I am going to have to get this sorted.

:tab Meanwhile, we finally reach NC 215 and the tight 15-25mph corners are coming one after the other. My eyes are straining to see as far as I can, which given the short sight lines of these corners isn't really all that far. We finally reach the house, a little tense but none the worse for the wear. Technically... it is not dark yet. But the last light soon fades from the sky as we park the bikes and look for a cold beer. Yeah... we are all walking kind of funny, but I think its the clunky dirt boots causing the wobbles and creaking :lol2:

:tab We have a nice BBQ sandwich dinner and talk about our plans for tomorrow. Steve says something about a shorter route... :shrug: The boob tube is going on about some tropical storm off the coast of North Carolina! Looks like rain may be in our near future. So we decide to make tomorrow a "Big Bike" day and head for Deal's Gap. This route should be mostly pavement. So if it does rain, things won't get too messy. Our plans settled, we call it a day.

Looks like great fun Scott. Keep it coming. I'll have something to read while waiting for my trip videos to upload. :doh:

Great report and pictures, Scott!

Anyway, can you or the other fellow riders post up the GPS routes/waypoints? I would like to put the ride location in my smoking pipe for future exploration.

Would you say most of the routes are class 2 type of terrain?

Seya,

RB

Wow, just wow...I gotta show this to sweetwife!
:clap: :sun:

Scott, sounds like a fantastic trip. Our new place will be a few miles from the intersection of 64 and 68 near Ducktown, Tennessee.

Can't wait to try out the roads you outlined.

Monday, May 21:

:tab Morning arrives. I roll out about 8:00am and am the last one up... as usual. Everyone is in the kitchen hovering around the TV to see what the weather is going to do. Scattered thunderstorms are predicted. I mull this over as I savor my apple cinnamon Pop Tarts and notice a BIG bag of powdered donuts sitting on the counter next to me... Roger has a thing for them. We both eat pretty healthy on a daily basis. But when we go on trips, we also engage in a kind of dietary vacation :trust: I do Pop Tarts and beer... not at the same time... Roger does powdered donuts. I gave them up years and years ago. There was a time when I ate a pack a day, with a coke. Seeing them triggers a bit of drooling but I refrain.

:tab I notice that we are all moving a bit slower than yesterday morning. :shrug: By the time we are all geared up and ready to pull out, it is almost 10:00am, slightly later than yesterday. But like yesterday, the morning air is damp and cool. With the mesh riding jacket/pants, some under layers are a necessity. I'm riding my 1200GS, Roger his 990 Adventure, John his new to him KLR 650 and Steve is riding his "big bike"... his KTM 690 :-P The plan is to head for Deal's Gap and also ride the Cherohala Skyway, maybe doing some mild dirt roads here and there along the way and back. I've got TKC 80s mounted on the GS (knobbies). They really help with the manners of the GS on the unpaved stuff but they still rock on the pavement. So I don't have to worry about giving up any fun because of the tires. We head for the gas station to top of the bikes and then get serious about the day's ride.

:tab We start by heading West on Tanasee Gap Rd. This used to be dirt, but like so many roads in the area, it is now paved. The only saving grace is that when the dirt roads get paved, they don't usually cut, fill, and grade them into boring roads. They still twist and wind with the sides of the mountains. At first, the GS feels all wrong. After spending all day yesterday flogging my bantam weight KTM around and rocketing out of corners, the GS feels like a big awkward pig. I slow down, focus on reorienting my brain, and soon start to find my groove. The GS is not about banging through the gears. It is all about use of the prodigious torque made by the big boxer motor. Most times, shifting is optional :-P

:tab We make quick work of Tanasee Gap and soon reach Hwy 281, where we turn North toward Tuckasegee. This is where we came out yesterday and went North. Today we turn South down Hwy 107 to look for the first of the dirt roads I want to explore, Cullowhee Forest Rd. The idea is to cut to the West, pick up White Rock Rd., and Mountain Grove Rd., and then come out near Franklin. As we head down 107, I get to having so much fun I don't realize we are coming up on our turn off for Cullowhee Forest and I blow right by it. I catch it out of the corner of my eye and so pull off just beyond.

The road we want is right back there where that little wooden fence runs behind the bushes to the left.
IMG_7411.jpg

Now you can see why it is easy to miss!
IMG_7412.jpg

:tab We turn around and head down Cullowhee Forest Rd. It starts out really steep and winding, down into a little ravine, then climbs back out the other side. I get a bit of a pucker factor as I find out that I have no back brakes to speak of!! What the!? The GS is heavy and wants to pick up some serious speed going down into those tight switchbacks. I am not wild about getting on the front brakes, but with no choice I ease them on and use as much engine braking as I can. Going up hill is no big deal. When we reach the top of the climb on the far side, we come to a locked gate... :doh: While we are turning around and I am looking for a detour route, a few vehicles come out the gate. They give us friendly waves and don't stop to see what we might be up to...

:tab While stopped, I turn off my bike and then restart it, hoping this might fix the brake issue. What on Earth could this change you ask...?! I'll tell you. BMW decided that these bikes needed power assist brakes, their EVO brake system, which work in conjunction with the ABS system (anti-lock). I have no idea why they thought these bikes needed power brakes!? I mean, sure... they are kind of heavy, but they are not THAT heavy! :brainsnap Anyway, the problem is that if you lose the power assist, you lose a LOT of your braking power and you have to REALLY mash the levers to get things slowed down! Not exactly my idea of a great system and I think they did away with the EVO stuff in later year models. When the bike is started, the braking system goes through all its checks. My thought is that something might have been goobered in this process and restarting might clear the issue. Fortunately, it does and the ride back out to 107 is much less stressful.

:tab But where to go now...? Hmmm....

:tab We could run back up to Tuckasegee and head to Cullowhee, then cut back SW on Ellijay road to get back on track, but that takes us pretty far out of the way and hits roads I want to run later in the day when we are on the return leg of the ride. I like to try to minimize road duplication where possible so I look for something else. There is Pine Creek and Walnut Creek roads. They are good fun and will drop us out just South of Franklin on US 64, not far from where we want to be. So off we go...

:tab The run up Pine Creek is fast and fun. We climb to almost 4100 feet at Walnut Gap, where Pine Creek ends and Walnut Gap Rd., starts. It makes a tight quick initial descent of about 1200 feet in the space of a 1/4 mile or so and then opens up a bit for the run following Walnut Creek out to US 64. Nothing but pavement between here and Deal's Gap, but not just any pavement...

:tab I remember the first time I came out to this area. Deal's Gap was the road that EVERYONE was all hyped up about riding. So of course we had to check it out. BUT... After riding it, we kept exploring and found two other spectacular roads, Hwy 28 North of Franklin, between Oak Grove and US 19, and Wayah Bald Road which comes from US 19 over where US 129 meets it, and eventually brings you in on the West side of Franklin. I have since done both roads many times and absolutely love them.

:tab The best way I can describe the sensation of riding this section of Hwy 28 is to think of the feeling of doing a fast ski slalom. There is no time spent going straight. The curves are banked and tight, leading one to another. I settle into 2nd gear and just run as smooth as I can. The wide bars of the GS make flicking it from one extreme lean to another almost effortless and the bike holds its line through the corners with ease. Up until now, we haven't really seen many other bikes, yesterday or today. Now it changes. All manner of bikes come at us from the other direction, no doubt many having already been to Deal's Gap, which attracts bikes like moths to a flame. They stay in their lane. I stay in mine. I keep expecting the sounds of my pegs scraping the pavement but never hear it. Last time out here when I was on the 1150 GS, that was heard in almost every corner. The rhythm of the road soon takes me and I slip into that zone where there is nothing but the road, the bike, and me, all in blissful harmony. I'm not thinking about our route. I'm not checking the GPS. I'm just totally focused on the next corner.

:tab And all too soon we reach Hwy 19. :twitch: I am half tempted to turn around and run down to Oak Grove and back. I doubt the guys would protest. But as we pull into the parking lot of the little gas station at the intersection, I notice I am a bit warmer now than I was earlier and think to myself...

"I bet they have ice cream in there..."

:tab Ice cream is a real weakness of mine. I try to confine it to special occasions, like each new day that life throws at me. But seriously, I don't keep Blue Bell in the house any more... or the garage freezer either. So now it is kind of like the Pop Tarts and beer, savored on the bike trips. I head inside and sure enough, they have those little waffle cone ice creams with the chocolate and nuts on the top. You know the ones... You're probably craving one right now... I am :doh: I snag one and head back outside to join the guys. Everyone is pretty stoked about the last few miles of riding and there are some serious ear to ear grins on every face. :mrgreen:

:tab After a nice break and shedding some layers, we head West on Hwy 19 and then pick up Hwy 28 to the North. In recent years, the Southern half of the section of 28 between Deal's Gap (US 129) and Hwy 19 has been WIDENED, made multi lane, and straightened. It was never an incredible ride, but now it is kind of lame and has a ridiculous speed limit of 55mph :roll: Fortunately, by the time we get to Johnson Gap, where NC 143 intersects 28, the road starts to get fun again. Unfortunately, the traffic also gets heavier. I come up behind a couple riding two up on a cruiser of some sort and he is taking the corners soooo sloooowww that he is having trouble keeping the bike balanced! He weeble wobbles his way through each one while I hang behind them, wincing at every bobble. I figure they are probably on their own adventure and drop off so as not to make them feel hurried or annoyed. There will be plenty of opportunities for me to ignore the scenery later :trust:

:tab By the time we reach Fontana Dam, I have managed to get around the couple without any drama. Once across the dam, the road follows the edge of Lake Cheoah. There aren't any serious elevation changes, but there are a lot of fun corners. Near the end of the road, it suddenly climbs about 500 feet and the last corner just kind of pops me out right into the parking lot of the Deal's Gap resort, which used to be known as The Crossroads of Time, but I don't know if that has been dropped or not. There are bikes everywhere, but it is not the most crowded I have seen it. This is a Monday. I have been here on Saturdays where it was hard to even get in and out of the parking lot!

IMG_7413.jpg

The place has REALLY changed! See that dude standing on the left in the above image? Everything beyond him used to be a grass camping area. The shed thing on the right is covered and lighted working areas so you can work on your bike. It is newish. Same for the loading ramp thing in the lower left corner (I think it was there in 2004, but was not when I first came out in 2000).

The covered tables on the right are new, as is the BBQ smoker pit behind the tables
IMG_7414.jpg

Everything on this side of the covered gas pumps is relatively new (built since 2000). It used to just be a small gas station/store with a mobile home next to it for the two guys that worked there.
IMG_7415.jpg

This shot was taken in August of 2000 from the opposite side of the gas pumps
NC0105.jpg

This was taken in May of 02, I think after ownership changed hands. Notice the deck in front of the store.
DSC00438.jpg

and here it is in Aug of 04, with the new restaurant added on to the original building
DSC02298.jpg

:tab Anyway, whoever owns it now has REALLY worked hard to modernize the place. I have mixed feelings about it. I kind of enjoyed the "quaint" feeling of it before all the upgrades. It had kind of an old timey Route 66 cheap motel feel to it. Sure, it was popular with riders and car enthusiasts even then, but it just didn't have that commercialized feeling. On the other hand, I certainly do not begrudge the current owners their commercial success and I admire what they have been able to do. Even the nearby town of Robbinsville has gotten in on it, having built many new hotels and restaurants since my first trip out here. Motorcycle tourism brings in a LOT of money in this area!!

:tab We take some time to just wander around, check out bikes, visit with folks and soak in the energy. Bikes are coming and going constantly. The variety of bikes is amazing. There are also quite a few really nice sports cars, even some serious high dollar ones.

Steve posing with the Tree of Shame, where you hang a bike part if you crash on the Tail of The Dragon (the named given the stretch of road here at Deal's Gap).
IMG_7416.jpg

The covered picnic/BBQ area, which smells REAL good about now... :drool:
IMG_7417.jpg

The new fancy sign where everyone poses for the obligatory pictures...
IMG_7418.jpg

Here's the old one (Aug 04)
DSC02297.jpg

The parking lot seems to be filling up quickly!
IMG_7419.jpg

Another new sign, this one up on the loading dock where you can park the bike in front of the sign if you like
IMG_7420.jpg

A Honda Ruckus? I watched it ride away to tackle the Dragon! That cable thing is a security cable. Apparently these are highly desired... :brainsnap
IMG_7422.jpg

Can you pick out the fast bike...? :-P
IMG_7423.jpg

:tab The smell of cooking food starts to get to me. I suggest to the guys that we ride the Dragon, come back here and eat, then continue our ride for the day. They agree so off we go. I think the last time I actually rode the Dragon was in 2004 on my 1150 GS, also wearing the TKC 80 knobbies. I recall being held up by some "fast" bikes. This time fast bikes are not an issue. I take off, following Steve. I keep him in sight but when I come around one curve, it is just in time to see him passing two ladies on cruisers on one of the few straight sections of the Dragon. I also see that I will NOT be passing them :doh: So I settle in behind them. They are going so slow that they are wobbling, just like the couple I got behind earlier. I am in first gear and coasting with the clutch pulled in. I should pull out and just let them go, but for some reason I just hang behind them and putt along. There are lots of places for them to pull out, but the lady in front of me has no rear view mirrors... Oh well...

:tab I reach the overlook, typically thought of as the end of the Dragon, and find Steve waiting. Roger and John arrive shortly. They take a few pictures. I notice the two ladies getting ready to head back. I jump on the bike and take off so I can get ahead of them for the run back. The ride is MUCH more enjoyable this time. The two cars I get behind pull over and wave me around them. NICE! I'm not trying to go fast, I am just trying to be smooth. The Dragon has a lot of technical corners and the consequences of blowing any of them are not pretty... I enjoy the ride and soon reach the parking lot at the Crossroads. It is still packed. Time to eat :eat:

:tab The grill selection at the restaurant is pretty good. I eat light when riding, so a small sandwich and a few fries for me. After lunch we are standing in the parking lot discussing the riding plans and the smell of rain is in the air... It is looking kind of dark and ominous to the South back down Hwy 28 but not so bad to the West, where I want to head. Steve has decided he's done for the day and wants to know the quickest way back to the house. I let him know that it is basically the same way we came. He's got his GPS with the track so he should be good. The rest of us decide to keep on with the original route and head for the Cherohala Skyway.

:tab Steve heads back down Hwy 28 and we head down US 129 toward Robbinsville. This stretch of 129 runs right down the side of the mountain to the Lake Cheoah Dam. All these dams are on the Little Tennessee River and are remnants of the TVA which sought to bring electricity to the area back in the early 1900's.

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

:tab I don't know what is going on, but there is some kind of work being done around the power house. There are contractor trucks all over the side of the highway and they are bringing in some heavy construction stuff. Maybe they are updating the facilities :shrug: We get through it all and head down 129 toward Robbinsville. This section of 129 is relatively flat and runs along the banks of the Cheoah River. I have always enjoyed the sweeping curves and scenic valley on this section of 129. It is just a nice relaxing stretch of road, but you still have to keep your eyes open for those riders that want to use it like a race track and the LEOs out looking for them :doh:

:tab We turn West on NC 1134 into the Joyce Kilmer Forest. It runs around the North side of Lake Santeetlah. It is a nice narrow but well paved road with the woods coming right up to the edge of the pavement. It is another of my local favorites.

IMG_7427.jpg

:tab The pavement is wet. It is not raining right now, but the skies look like they might open up at any time. We continue on toward NC 143, which becomes the Cherohala Skyway on the North Carolina side of the state line. We drop out right were NC 81 joins 143, which is the official start of the section of road designated as the skyway, at Santeetlah Gap.

IMG_7428.jpg

:tab Notice the fresh grass clippings in the road in the above shot? There was a LOT of that as we were coming through the woods. Grass clippings can be slick when dry, but when wet... :shock: Even picking my lines very carefully, I still hit a few small patches and felt the bike wiggling around under me. Not fun.

The first of MANY overlooks
IMG_7430.jpg

Top of the sign
IMG_7429-1.jpg

Bottom
IMG_7429-2.jpg

:tab We see some other bikes coming from the direction we are heading. They are wearing rain gear. The clouds in the distance look menacing and low. Well, I have two great memories of riding this road, both on the same trip.

:tab The first day of that trip we rode into this area via the Skyway from Tellico Plains on the Tennessee side. It was around 11:00pm, clear and COLD, especially once we got up to the 5000 ft elevation common along the Skyway. The road had newish pavement and still had reflectors on the center stripe. They could be seen reflecting as the road turned in and out from the sides of the mountains. The clouds had turned to fog and settled into the valleys below. The full moon was so bright that the stars were overpowered. The light from the moon hit the top of the low lying clouds and reflected back up the mountain sides. I had been on the bike for close to 12 hours and it had been a LONG day of riding. But in that moment, nothing else but the ride mattered. It was surreal, like riding through the heavens.

:tab The last day of that trip, we were leaving the area via the Skyway. Beth's Triumph Legend was in the back of our new friend's pickup and heading to Dallas. She was riding in the truck. The bike and rider she displaced was riding with me on his Sprint ST. We stopped at the Black Knight Cafe in Robbinsville for a bite to eat before tackling the Skyway. The people inside looked out the windows at us as we got off the bikes and laughed as they saw me wringing the water out of my gloves. It was in the low 60s at the time. After lunch we took off for the Skyway and the skies opened up with a vengeance! The temperature dropped into the low 50s but it was not real windy, just a straight down pour. I was on my VFR 800 and fully loaded. For whatever reason, the other rider and I slipped into a shared groove and we had an absolute amazing ride despite the cold and wet. We stopped at a pull out next to the river on the low end of the Tennessee side for a high fiving session, and to warm up a bit. It had finally stopped raining.

My 98 VFR 800
NC0133.jpg

His Sprint ST
NC0134.jpg

:tab As much fun as I had riding in the rain with my bud that time, I am not real wild about doing it this time. I was on much better tires then, not knobbies. And to really enjoy the Skyway, the speeds have to be a little higher than what I would want to do in the rain on the GS with knobbies. Still, we press on, if anything just so John and Roger can kind of get a feeling for the road. We get about 10 miles into the ride, right about to where the road first gets real close to the Tennessee border and starts to get really fun, and I am hearing the rumbling of thunder over the sounds of the bike and despite my ear plugs... The clouds are really getting dark now and I am getting some sprinkles on me. I pull into the next over look for a pow wow with the guys and we decide to turn tail, saving this for the next trip ;-) There is also a ton of good DS riding in this area, so that gives us a good reason to get back out here.

:tab We scoot back down the Skyway and run 143 all the way into Robbinsville, which is still a really fun ride. We hit US 129 and turn South toward Hwy 19. Traffic can get bad on this stretch of road but it is light today. The road surface is damp, but it is not raining. We turn East on 19. My plan is to introduce the guys to the Winding Stairs Rd. As the name implies, this is a very twisty road. It is unpaved and goes right up the side of the mountain via some tight switchbacks and places where the road is just a ledge cut into the rock face. Once it reaches the top of the mountain, there is a nice lake and cabin, then the road becomes paved. I rode it back in 2004 with Wasabi and Beemin.

:tab This section of Hwy 19 is really scenic. It follows the Nantahala River. The woods are VERY dense and it almost feels like riding through a tunnel, especially because of the overcast skies. We reach the turn for Winding Stairs and cross the river to the base of the mountain.

The first of two bridges, there is an island in the middle of the river
IMG_7431.jpg

The road on the far side
IMG_7432.jpg

IMG_7433.jpg

:tab When I first pull up to park, I look down and there are these little purple/pink butterflies just flittering all over the place just above the ground. I am guessing there are maybe 50-60 of them. They part around the bike and then close in behind me. They do the same when I get off the bike. By the time I get the camera out and try to get a shot of them, most of them have already wandered off into the woods. We stop to take a break... you know... so Roger and John can attend to the call of nature, hehe.

Looking East down the river, a low fog hangs over the fast moving water...
IMG_7434.jpg

The undergrowth is dense on this typical hillside
IMG_7436.jpg

Made with Carnegie steel!
IMG_7437.jpg

:tab There is a hiking/biking path that runs along this side of the river. It doesn't look like much motorized traffic crosses these bridges, except maybe when people park cars here and go hiking. But there is a parking lot on the highway side of the bridges, so even that might not happen often. Excited about riding this road again, I give Roger and John a little bit of build up to get them stoked as well.

:tab And then we go around the corner...

:tab And there is a locked gate! :doh: :argh:

"Well, I promise it really is a cool road. I have no idea what would cause them to close it..."

:tab So we turn around. We'll run Wayah Bald Rd., instead. It runs along the base of the mountains, the tops of which we would have been riding. The pavement is not as pristine as it was the last time I rode it, but it is still nice. There are numerous beautiful homes down in here, some of which even sit right on the creek, literally. With the dense woods, the flowing creek, and the nature of the style of homes, this spot has a real storybook feel to it. It seems far more likely that we'd encounter a dragon here than we would at Deal's Gap!

:tab Itching to do some dirt still, I decide to forgo riding all of Wayah Bald and instead we head for Tellico Gap. The West side starts out paved but soon turns to a narrow dirt road that quickly climbs up to the gap.

Stopped at the top of Tellico Gap
IMG_7440.jpg

The East side basically follows the big overhead power lines down out of the mountains.

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7442-pano.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg

My little point and shoot was having exposure issues, the overcast makes for a bright background against the dark foreground of the woods
IMG_7444.jpg

This is a bit better
IMG_7445.jpg

John on the KLR, Roger in the background
IMG_7446.jpg

Roger on his 990 Adventure
IMG_7447.jpg

John
IMG_7448.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

A little darker than reality, but not much
IMG_7450.jpg

Maybe a tad brighter than reality, the real deal being between this is and the previous shot. The woods really do block a lot of the sunlight. It is maybe 4:30-5:00 right now.
IMG_7452.jpg

:tab The road flattens out and runs on down along Tellico Creek to the Little Tennesee River. We turn off before that and head South on a road I've never done, but turns out to be fantastic.

[Time to head home now... might get back to it later tonight. If not, then tomorrow at work if we are not busy.]

Anyway, can you or the other fellow riders post up the GPS routes/waypoints? I would like to put the ride location in my smoking pipe for future exploration.

Seya,

RB

:tab I have been trying to attach my tracks as GPX files. It is an allowed attachment file type and they are within the size limits, but for some reason they won't upload :shrug: I could probably email them to you.

We could see Fire-Flys... :lol2:

:tab Well, to be fair... we had already gotten off the bikes and opened our beers by that time... I don't recall seeing any while I was still on the bike :-P

Scott, how do you retain all that info? Do you take notes throughout the day or each evening, or do you just let the photos jog the memory when it comes time to write the report?

Scott, how do you retain all that info? Do you take notes throughout the day or each evening, or do you just let the photos jog the memory when it comes time to write the report?

:tab I guess it is several steps.

:tab While riding, I am making mental notes of things I want to remember, kind of writing the story in my head as I go along. Later, pictures help jog the memory. But I also just kind of mentally replay the events in my head as I am retelling the story. As I write the story, a lot of the details come back to me.

:tab There is of course a lot that gets left out. For instance I forgot to mention the little old lady on the way to church Sunday morning that pulled out of her driveway without ever once looking left to see what was coming. She pulled out RIGHT in front of me. Fortunately I had seen her coming and was almost stopped. When she had already pulled out and realized what she had done, she just pretended like nothing happened and did not acknowledge that I was sitting there in the middle of the road stopped and waving at her (and not the finger :-P)

:tab As for the route information, I spend a LOT of time pouring over the various maps before the ride, during the ride, and then have my GPS tracks after the ride.

Wow. Lots of emotions reading your accounts of running in some of my old "haunts"...

A lot of the re-build at the "Deal's Gap Resort" is a result of a fire just a couple of years back.

I had a piece of windshield at the base of the "Tree of Shame" for a few years before they cleaned it up some. Not actually from a "Tail of the Dragon" crunch, actually back a curve or two on 28 coming up to the crossroads from Fontana Dam. Sounds like you guys ran a back route from the Dam to the crossroads.

Ladies and gents, he tells it true about 28 from 19 down to Franklin. You gotta watch for occasional gravel in curves, but it is a terrific run!

- kbt

Sounds like you guys ran a back route from the Dam to the crossroads.

:tab We just went right up 28. Looking at the maps though, there does appear to be a lesser road, further back from the edge of the lake, that runs up to the Crossroads. I did not look to see if it actually exists on the ground.

Day two continued...

:tab So I left off with us turning South onto a great paved road. It is not a real long road, right at 7-1/2 miles, but it is a cracker! The pavement is absolutely perfect... and DRY!! It is the soft grey color with the texture of sandpaper. Traction is perfect. There is nary a ripple or crease to be seen. The curves just flow one into another. It runs along a small valley and eventually drops out near the airport on the West side of Franklin. the name is Lower Burningtown Rd. (NC 1364). Almost without effort I slip into the riding zone, totally in tune with the road. The smooth vibration and rumble of the big boxer courses through my body, giving me perfect feedback about what the bike is doing. No need to think about what gear I am in, how fast I am going, how many RPMs the engine is turning... I just scan for the vanishing point of the pavement as it bends into the woods at each curve. Motorcycle nerdvanna :zen:

:tab And then a suicidal scooter shoots out from a side road without stopping or looking... :doh:

:tab Now, I am wasn't really going nuts on this road and I have plenty of time to react. But man!! Talk about a buzz kill! :suicide: :lol2: After maybe a quarter mile or so the rider FINALLY checks his six and sees me in his mirrors. He puts the hammer down and takes off!!! ... Reaching an almost blinding 40 mph... :roll: Right... So anyway..., the road looks like the best is behind me and I just hang back and wait for the others to catch up with me. Then we cruise on in to town.

:tab John's Dad mentioned something about Whiskey riders. It seems that if you lose your license out here because of excessive drinking, you can still ride a scooter, which does not require a license. Apparently, there are a lot of people with drinking issues in these parts that lose there licenses and become scooter riders. So now every time I see a scooter for the rest of the week I am going to be wondering if I have to deal with someone that is drunk off their rocker :wary:

:tab We reach Hwy 28 on the North side of town and stop for gas. Once again, it is getting late in the day and tushies are getting tender. Questions of how much further and when we will be there start :lol2: All agree that the last road was great! After a short break, we get back on the bikes and head to the East side of town. No messing around with grocery store parking lots and exclusive gated neighborhoods this time. I am on a mission!

:tab Just off of Hwy 28, we head West on Cat Creek Rd. (NC 1513), which is paved and fun. It winds through some rural neighborhoods and eventually out of town, becoming Onion Mountain Rd., and then Mountain Grove Rd. (NC 1521). The road is not real rough and is a lot of fun on the GS. I came through here on two previous trips on the 1150 GS. The roads are damp again, the clouds are hanging low, but it doesn't feel like rain if you know what I mean. I reach the end of Mountain Grove and it drops me out at a familiar spot on Ellijay Road, just in time to scare a HUGE turkey off the road and up into the underbrush. I have been seeing a bunch of these things!

Just one of many such curves on Ellijay Road!! :rider:
IMG_7453.jpg

:tab We head Northeast on Ellijay Road and soon pass through Cullowhee Gap at about 3700 feet. Had the route gone as planned earlier, this is where we would have come out from White Rock and Cullowhee Forest roads. Remember the locked gate earlier in the day? I wish we had time to run it backward and see if there might be another way through. White Rock looks like it runs over and hits Cullowhee Mountain Rd. This road runs North and South, connecting Pine Creek Rd., to the North end of Ellijay Road just outside of Cullowhee. Looking at the map, it looks like it could be fun. I can't believe I missed this when working out the detour earlier this morning :doh: Oh well... I'll just have to remember it for the next trip :trust:

:tab The pavement on Ellijay road has deteriorated since my last visit. It has become cracked, patched and rough in some places. It is still easily rideable for street bikes, like say a VFR 800, but it is more fun on a good DS that can more easily handle the imperfections of the pavement. There aren't many homes along the road and the trees come in real close, forming a dark green tunnel. It is so easy to forget about the rest of the world when riding roads like this...

:tab We soon reach Hwy 107 in Cullowhee and head South for Tuckasgee.

Somewhere along 107 before we reach Tuckasegee
IMG_7454.jpg

As sure as night follows day, mist and low clouds follow the rains in the Smoky Mountains
IMG_7454-pano.jpg

:tab At Tuckasegee, we head back Southeast on Hwy 281. Along the way I decide to take Charlie's Creek Rd., back over to NC 215. It was such fun yesterday on the KTM that I figure it should be just as fun on the GS. It is, but the pace I run is far more subdued this time. The pavement is not wet like it is when it is raining, but it is quite damp and there are patches of running water crossing the road in several places. Being that it is nearing the end of the day and we are getting tired, I bring the pace down and run a nice relaxed rhythm, focusing on being real smooth and keeping all my inputs as non disruptive to the flow of the bike as possible. I brake a little earlier or roll off the gas a little earlier. I get on the gas a little softer. It is not about going fast. It is all about smooth... I find this kind of riding VERY rewarding! I slip into another riding coma and time slips from my mind as I just connect the dots through the curves.

:tab We finally reach NC 215 and as a last little treat, we turn down Indian Creek Rd. This is unpaved and brings us in on the North side of where John's dad lives. It is not real twisty either so I kind of open up the GS and have some fun :trust: In short order we reach Shoal Creek Rd., and turn South for the last few miles to the house. We find Steve waiting. It seems that he got rained on pretty hard ALL THE WAY BACK... Bummer dude... We barely got a drop :mrgreen:

:tab It is turning into a nice evening now... and the fire flies are not out yet! :-P I enjoy a cold beer and relax. We hang out and visit, I work on figuring out the route for tomorrow, and Steve tells us he is going to take tomorrow off... so his gear can dry out! I think it's really because the seat on his KTM is getting to him :cool2: So anyway... let's see... small bike day! We'll head South and see what we can find and maybe work our way over to the Highlands area to hit some roads I've ridden on past trips.

:tab My back has been hurting pretty good. I've had a chronic spot or two for years. When they get fired up, the one between the lower shoulder blades feels like it has a crowbar wedged between two vertebra and someone is just hanging off of it. It is very sharp and very localized, but it sends out waves of tingling into the surrounding muscles and can cause some spasms that feel like cramps. Usually stretching helps keep it in check. But the long days on the bike have it flaming pretty good. I take a mild pain killer and muscle relaxer and in short order I am off to bed. Roger is already peacefully snoring away. The man falls asleep within seconds of his head hitting the pillow and he sleeps like a rock, except when he talks... but we won't get into that here... :-P I think I last maybe two minutes before I am out like a light! :sleep:

Last edited:

Seya,

RB

:tab Red, see if you can open and view either of the attached files. The GDB is the Garmin file format. The KMZ is for Google Earth. These tracks are for the second day of riding.

:tab Most of the roads in the first two days have been roads you can drive most any sedan down without any problems. We did do some stuff that was more technical and rough, like Hurricane Creek and Pilot Mountain, but for the most part we were just riding well maintained forest service roads and/or county roads. Short of going to a private riding park, there really isn't a lot of the more technical riding available in the area.

Attachments

Last edited:
:tab Here is the route/track for day one. I forgot to turn on the tracking on the GPS for the first part of route. So when you open the file, there is a route that I recreated the first part of the track to show. And then there is a track that shows the rest of the day. I tried saving and uploading this as a GPX file and also as a KMZ file, but it won't work. It won't attach as a GPX and when I try to import it into Google Earth, it makes Google Earth lock up for some reason :shrug:

Attachments

Day Three, Tuesday:

:tab It is getting harder and harder for me to wake up each morning... Sure, I am going to be much earlier than my normal 2-3am, but my body doesn't change gears that fast and still thinks this is just a short term thing... I hit snooze... again... I just turn the !#$% thing off!

"Hmmm... it's getting kind of bright in here... I probably ought to see what time it is..."

:tab Well, it's only a few minutes after 8:00am, so I'm still good.

"Wait... did I roll over...? Crap! What time is it now!!??"

:tab Time has no meaning when you are asleep. What felt like hours has only been a few more minutes. I'd best be getting up and finding some Pop Tarts. The guys are in the kitchen watching the toob. Weather looks iffy again, scattered thunderstorms. I step out on the front porch. It's damp and cool again. Steve has decided to sit out today's riding... something about wet gear... :cool2: We decide to make this a "short" day and ride the smaller bikes. We have to be back around 4:00ish because tonight we are having dinner at John's Aunt's house in Brevard. The general plan is to head Southwest to the area around Highlands/Cashiers, keeping close so that if time becomes an issue we can just hop on the main road and be back quickly. But first... off to the little gas station.

:tab We start by heading North on NC 215 to Tanasee Gap Rd. I want to check out a little wiggly road that cuts back to the Southeast and comes back toward NC 215, but stays on this side of The French Broad River.

Start of NC 1325 - Still a bit wet from yesterday's rains
IMG_7456.jpg

:tab We make quick work of NC 1325. Like almost every road out here, it follows a little creek that eventually leads to a bigger creek or a river. In this case, it winds its way to the French Broad River and comes out right at one of John's Dad's favorite fishing spots where he can hide in a spot where the fish can't see him. We turn right on Old Wagon Rd. (NC 1379), and a shortly hit Macedonia Church Rd. (NC 1326). We cut back West here. My plan is to check out Silverstein and Diamond Creek roads.

:tab Macedonia Church is a nice paved road, so I set a nice paved road pace :trust: But all to soon I spot "Road Closed Ahead" signs... Like any good dual sport rider, I continue on to see how serious the construction folks are about this road closed business. After all, sometimes it is real easy to get around construction and just carry on with the original route. And... sometimes... NOT. It seems these guys are really serious. They are replacing a small bridge over Lamance Creek. They have parked their large earth mover right on top of what could have been a very easily passable crossing. There is about six to eight inches on either side of the tracks of the machine, but one slight slip in the soft dirt at the edge and over you'd go... We look around to see if there is a way to just ride across the creek but come up with nothing.

:tab So I check the GPS map, and in looking at it there appears to be a road back near the North end of NC 1325. Parker Road, and the South end of the road drops out on Macedonia on the other side of the crossing. So we'll just double back up to Tanasee Gap Rd., and come down the other road. Right!? Wrong!! We get all the way back to where the start of the road should be and there is nothing but a faint trail going off across someone's fenced property. :doh: So we backtrack again down to Old Wagon Rd., running NC 1325 for the third time this morning and hop on NC 215. This should get us down to where the original plan would have dropped us out and we can pick up the planned route there.

:tab From NC 215, the plan is to Head toward Lake Jocassee, staying just inside the North Carolina state line on a forest road. We head Southwest on Frozen Creek Rd. (NC 1139), which I think used to be part of Old Hwy US 64. It is a nice two lane paved road that is really fun. According to the GPS, the forest road I want should be about 2-1/2 miles down this road, right at the point where there is a 90 bend back to the Southeast. It will be an out and back run and it looks like it should be really twisty and fun! But... I pass the corner and never see a road. When I look down at the GPS a few curves later and realize I've passed it, I pull over at a little park area to check the map. We've definitely passed it. John and Roger wait here while I run back up the road to take a closer look.... Nothing. Not even a hint of a road that used to exist. Dang. I was really looking forward to this one too :doh: Well... I head back to John and Roger and it is decided that we'll continue on with the route.

:tab As we continue, the road starts to get twistier and more fun. There are a lot of little creeks in the area so the road rises and falls quickly as it passes over the little ridges between the creeks. We soon reach the turn off for Oscar Chapel Hill Rd., which heads South. Pavement gives way to loose gravel and we are soon sliding through corners. There are some homes clustered around the beginning of the road, some with a LOT of BIG dogs. One booming "WOOF!!" really surprises me and I look down into the eyes of a dog whose head is right about even with my knee... :shock: I roost away without any problem, hit the next corner... and... a locked gate!! :argh: This is not looking good for today's route. Now we have to turn around and go back through the dogs again :doh:

:tab It would seem we are no longer interesting. I don't even see the dogs as I go back. At the paved road, we turn right and head North on what is now Old Toxaway Road. We reach US 178 and head up into the small town of Rosman. We stop so John can use the facilities and to rethink our route for the day. The original route would have had us going on South around Lake Jocasee. Given the time we have already wasted with detours and locked gates, if we continue with that route it will really push us further from the home base and make it harder to abort if necessary to get back in time to clean up for dinner. So we decide to just scrap the route and wing it. I love doing this, but the guys look at me with a wary eye or four... :trust:

:tab The new plan is to head for the South end of Cathy's Creek Road. We'll run that back up into the National Forest area just South of the Blue ridge Parkway. Then if we hit bad weather or run out of time, it is a quick shot to get back to the house. Rather than just run up US 64 to the start of Cathy's Creek, I suggest we head back South on US 178 and run a few little back roads that bring us out by Cathy's Creek. John's bladder emptied and with a new plan, we strike out for points unknown...

:tab Just South of town we head East on East Fork Road (NC 1107). It follows the East Fork of the French Broad River. Road naming in these parts seems to follow some simple rules. All roads must have "old", "creek", "fork", "mountain", "bald" or "knob" in the name. Interestingly, such adjectives give a good idea of how much fun the road will be! A road lacking any of the above is almost always just plain old bor... whoops... just a plain boring road. So, East Fork road turns out to be quite fun, smooth and twisty as it follows the river. We turn North on Walnut Hollow Rd. (NC 1103), and based on the above reasoning I am not expecting too much from it. It delivers. It is nice and scenic, but the curves more open and the elevation more constant. We turn up toward US 64 on Hanna Ford Rd., which is actually kind of fun, and then reach the main highway. A quick shot East on US 64 brings us to the start of Cathy's Creek Rd.

:tab Cathy's creek starts out as dirt almost right away. It heads deep into thick woods. There are scattered primitive camping areas all along the creek, most empty as of right now. They will no doubt fill up fast as the Memorial Day weekend approaches. We settle into a nice rhythm as the road starts climbing. And then I spot a neat series of water falls.

A close up of just one part of the series
IMG_7458.jpg

Looking on down from the first spot
IMG_7459.jpg

John looks like an astronaut from some other planet observing our environment
IMG_7461.jpg

Tried to get it all in one shot... meh...
IMG_7462.jpg

Oh well... bike shots are always good :mrgreen:
IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7464.jpg

There are a LOT of these little one lane bridges. Gotta exercise caution on them as they can be slippery
IMG_7465.jpg

:tab The rest of the run of Cathy's creek is a lot of fun. It dead ends into Government Rd., which if you run Shoal Creek Rd., North from John's Dad's house becomes Government Rd., and bends back to the East. Shortly after getting on Government Rd., we pass some road maintenance crews. They are dumping gravel and grading the road. We get by them without any problem and then have some fun sliding the bikes around in the soft dirt :rider: The fun is short lived though as it does not take long to reach the point where the road becomes paved, which I think is near the Davidson River. The fun does not stop completely though because the paved section is a real hoot, smooth, twisty and like a roller coaster. Near the end, I am waiting for the others and ready to head North up an unamed Forest Rd., that goes right to the East of Looking Glass Rock peak. When john shows up, he wants us to follow him a little further down Government Road, to a fishery. Okay... :shrug:

We see a lot of this over the course of the week
IMG_7466.jpg

Those rocks are typical of many creek/river beds in the area
IMG_7467.jpg

:tab After checking out the fishery, we double back to the road running North. Our new plan is to run this up to where it hits NC 276, shoot up North a hair, pick up another Forest Rd., that runs down the East side of 276, then shoot all the way back up 276 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Northbound road is great. The Mountain Laurel is blooming EVERYWHERE. There are also all manner of wild flowers scattered about the road side. At times it almost feels like we are riding in a garden.

The just look faded in the pics, but are definitely brighter in person...
IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

A straight section of the road
IMG_7472.jpg

We stop at an overlook spot that gives a good view of Looking Glass Rock. Don't ask me, I don't name these things... I just take pictures of them :shrug:
IMG_7473.jpg

A close up of the Mountain Laurels
IMG_7474.jpg

:tab We make the rest of the run to 276, then head South on the other Forest Rd. No pictures. I was too busy having fun! It's a great road though, as if any of the roads out here aren't :roll: There are water falls and creeks all over the place. Speaking of such things... we stop on the way up 276 to check out Looking Glass Falls.

IMG_7476.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

:tab It is hard to judge scale from the pictures because there is no good reference. However, I would guess the drop to be about 75 feet maybe. There are some older couples here on a sight seeing trip. While the little old ladies are oohing and ahhing about the water fall, I spot the husbands looking behind them and checking out the bikes, hehe. Before we take off, I suggest to Roger that he reverse his GoPro and get footage of me following him up the mountain. He gets that set up and off we go.

:tab Now Roger likes to claim that he rides slow on the street and has given up his squidly ways... don't let him fool you ;-) We get stuck behind a few cars but fortunately are able to clear them before we hit the fun stuff. When we hit the 20-30mph corners that come one after the other, it is GAME ON! The lightweight KTMs are getting tossed back and forth and screaming out of the corners. I hang on his back, trying to keep about 2-3 bike lengths between us so that I will show up in the video. There are a few damp spots on the pavement here and there but we snake our way between them and slow a bit where we can't. We settle into a great groove together and race to the top of the ridge! At the top we stop to wait for John. I think he got hung up with traffic. Who cares how the video came out, that was a blast!!

:tab Not having had any lunch yet, I convince the guys to run up the Parkway to the Pisgah Inn for a quick bite to eat. But first a few pics at the nearby overlook.

IMG_7479.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

Looking kind of gloomy... :wary:
IMG_7481-pano.jpg

Cold Mountain is hidden in those clouds
IMG_7484.jpg

Roger on his 450
IMG_7485.jpg

:tab All kinds of great riding memories come flooding back to me as soon as we hit the first few corners. I did several trips out here on the VFR 800 and two others with the R1150GS. Each time we made a point to run a good section of the BRP. I've done it in beautiful weather and cold whipping sleet. It's all been good. I spent two trips staying at the Pisgah Inn for rallies and made a lot of good friends and had great rides with them. Beth also had her first (only) accident on the BRP not far from here. She was fine, the bike was dinged, but her confidence on the bike never reached the same level again. She still went on to ride another 30K miles in the next few years until we started having kids.

Another overlook, Frying Pan Lookout maybe? :scratch:
IMG_7486-pano.jpg

One of many tunnels along the BRP, gotta watch for water in them though!
IMG_7488.jpg

We finally reach the Pisgah Inn and I get us a table.
IMG_7490.jpg

The view off the back deck of the restaurant
IMG_7491-pano.jpg

:tab See that shower on the right side of above shot...? That is where we are heading next :doh: You can also see the BRP cutting around the mountain on the far right. We're hoping that while we eat, this storm will blow on through and we can get behind it.

A close up
IMG_7495-pano.jpg

:tab Lunch is good. The soft chair is good. My joints are already setting up and getting stiff. It's always hard getting back on the bike after a nice lunch. I eat lite though to avoid the post lunch drowsies. It is raining outside. We have rain gear but agree to just sit for a while and see if it will pass. Time has been slipping away from us though as it is already nearly 3:30pm!! We have to get home! We CANNOT be late for dinner!

:tab We decide to take the most direct route back. We'll backtrack to US 276, run it down to the West side forest road, hit Government Road and run that all the way back to the house. I take point and off we go. The pavement is damp, but has good grip. I take it easy and just focus on being smooth.

Still have time for another pic!
IMG_7498.jpg

:tab The first storm passed and we thought we'd be in the clear. But what do I spy directly above the bars of the bike in the shot above...? Yeah... right where we're heading :doh:

:tab The run down 276 involves diving into some tight corners that descend pretty good as they turn. I have to really focus on braking early so I don't overload and wash out the front end. We quickly reach the start of the forest road and keep going. It's wet but not bad. There are puddles here and there, but not much all out mud. The tires bite into the gravel and hold well. It starts raining... It's light at first, then it starts getting progressively heavier, stinging my cheeks and nose. We reach Government Road and turn West.

:tab When we reach the point where the pavement ends on Government Road, things get fun. Remember, this was just graded earlier in the day. Now it is raining pretty good and the road is muddy. I shift my weight back a little and get on the gas, trying keep a line near the center of the road and straightening the road as much as I can without going wide into the blind corners. It might be nasty out here and there might be less traffic as a result, but I still don't want to count on not meeting someone head on in a blind corner. The bike hooks up great and as my confidence grows, so does the fun! Soon I am roosting mud all over the place coming out of corners, the back end sliding and squirming under acceleration. The MT 21s are hooking up great, which is nice given the hard riding and miles they have endured. Anyway, the fun stops all too soon as we hit pavement again and soon find our way back to the house with time to spare :mrgreen:

:tab The riding gear and bike is covered with mud. Whatever... :shrug: We all clean up and put on dry clothes. We even have time to head into town and stop by the store to pick up some flowers for John's aunt. We find her home and roll up right on time. It is in a really pretty part of town, but not actually IN town in the legal sense. I forget all the details, but basically they have the convenience of being in town without the taxes. There are a few minor drawbacks, like no road maintenance, but that is not an issue and the narrow little roads in their neighborhood are nicely paved. The truck just barely fits on them though!

IMG_7499.jpg

There were several beautiful 100 year old Beech Trees in the front yard.
IMG_7500.jpg

John's aunt, husband and a really sweet old dog!
IMG_7501.jpg

:tab Dinner is great. It is home cooked traditional Italian followed by ice cream with some kind of berry topping made from fresh berries. Dinner is followed by hanging out visiting and checking out all the artwork. Her husband does a LOT of pastel artwork. We head outside for a bit to see their private family cemetery, which is very nicely done. Just before dark, we say our good byes and head back out of town. John rides with his Dad and once we hit NC 215, he is GONE! It is obvious that he drives this road every day and REALLY knows it well. In the big truck I just cruise at about 25-30 mph, using the white line to see where the road is going because the headlights of another local behind me keep me from seeing out the side window and looking all the way through the corners. The speed limit is only 35mph, so it is not like I am really killing their travel time ;-)

:tab We get back to the house and hangout for a bit before going to bed. Tomorrow will be another small bike day and Steve will be joining us. A highlight for the day will be Hurricane Creek Rd. John has wild memories of going there with his Dad on days with the Land Rover people where owners were taught how to really use their new vehicles. But there is a lot of pavement between here and there...

:tab As I ponder tomorrow's ride, the muscle relaxer and pain killer kick in... :sleep:

I am glad I was able to provide drama for this amazing trip so here is a little on the day Scott just reported on. :trust:

I just realized my text was cut off by iMovie and my noob editing, the end of one of the sentences was supposed to read "last resort." when I went around the Ford exploder.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAXhzJsWGUc&list=UUt0a2H0-O0IYCpudB6pN0yg&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAXhzJsWGUc&list=UUt0a2H0-O0IYCpudB6pN0yg&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Holy warp speed Batman. That DR must have nitrous on it! :lol2:
I thought I missed alot of the scenery. :-P
Sam

Back