• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Moments to Remember

Reaction score
As I approach my 38th year of riding, I have found myself a bit reflective of those brief moments in time to which I value above all. :zen:Some may seem trivial, some surreal, others may some product of fiction. As I have aged I have learned many lessons, good and bad…I dwell here to touch on some of my fonder mental pics in time, though my screw ups could be a book in themselves. Like so many rolls of film to capture life, only a few pictures stands out in time.
I guess my first milestone would be Christmas 1974…A new Honda XR75 under the tree, complete with a Bell Helmet in Evil Kneivel red, white and blue:rider:…thus was born my obsession with the 2 wheeled beast(parents had bought me a horse the year before and I hated it:yawn:). Not sure why but I became obsessed with jumping. First, it was terraces and then objects like sand boxes and lawn mowers.
Bikes2010-2010.jpg

Faster bikes and racing would come later…yep…1974 was my favorite Christmas.
My next defining moment was passing my driver’s license test on my Yamaha DT175 in 1978. My first ride to school and feeling I was the king of the world:sun:. It was on this bike that I met BigDaveGS on his XT500. He had been the lone bike on campus until me. Only made since we would be rebels together…I let BigDaveGS ride my little 175 and wheelied it up the band hall wall and then kicked off to land it perfectly. The little 2smoke 175 surprised him…:trust:

I became a motorcycle whore early on racing Hondas, Huskys and then KTMs. I drank the Koolaid young…back then they were white. I went totally KTM by 82. Two KTMs stand out from that time, my KTM 504MXC and my KTM 250MX…the 250 was a woods bike that handled like a dream compared to all my other bikes. It was the lightest 250 made that year(made for great jumps).
Bikes2010-2009.jpg

The 504 became my favorite bike for reliability and just sure durability. I managed to finish the GhostTown Enduro in Thurber with 2 flat tires, ViseGrips for shifter and a piece of barbwire fabricated into a throttle cable…no trophies but she crossed the line on her own power…One of the memorable runs for just pure can I finish this race alive???
Bikes2010-2008.jpg

Other moments are more surreal…ever ride in a storm??? Ever ride in a really bad storm with tornados touching down and lighting everywhere with the rain so hard you can’t hardly see where you are going??? Now add to that at night with Metallica “Ride The Lightning” playing in my earphones. I did this in 05 on my Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. I was commuting from Waco to my home east of Crawford one night when I got caught in this storm with no sign of it letting up. I donned my rain gear and headed out after checking radar for the lightest activity to route home. The rain hammered me, and then the hail, all to the beat of Metallica…lightning flashing all around…likes hundreds of strobes firing off…and then I see the twisted cloud drop near China Spring off to my right:eek2:…I wick the throttle to gain speed but not hydroplane…watching every lightning strike to track the wicked twisted cloud moving like a wraith in the night…time and distance become my friend…I arrive home with the adrenalin pumping in my veins like an IV injection…I am alive says the voice in my head…again…

Back in 09, I rode back east to the Smokey Mountains. My wife’s family has a farm on Sand Mountain overlooking the Tennessee River near Chattanooga. I left early headed toward the Dragon and Deals Gap. I walked out from the house on the mountain and the sun was shining. As I start down the mountain toward Chattanooga I ride into and out of the clouds for a ways. Again…one of the moments to move your soul…riding your bike on a cloud with the sun glistening all around…IT is good to be alive…:dude:

Other moments are simple…yesterday I was riding the KTM 950SE to work and a dove flew up off the road in front of me. It flew parallel to the centerline accelerating ahead of me…so I accelerate to keep up with it…I pilot the KTM up to the bird and reach up to touch this dove flying…I make contact and the bird kicks in the afterburner and breaks left…Ever do that?

I could ramble on for days about my moments…these are some of my personal more so than my crazy moments with the ADV crew:lol2:…Just curious what others have for motorcycle moments to remember…
:chug:

its funny Ghost there are so many little things worth remembering

very hard to tell to people who dont ride in some way, I can also recall the ride around your ranch on the 4x4 ranger, sheer terror

Kind of long, but please bear with me,

My dad, mom, my older brother and I all rode dirt bikes around 1968 to 1971. Dad rode on the street and mom did too. My older brother remembers how cool all of the other kids though mom was because she would take him to baseball practice on the motorcycle. My little brother was not riding yet.

Around 1971 or so, dad crashed in the dirt and broke his leg. The problem was that he threw an embolism and ended up in a coma and was expected to die for quite some time. Dad ended up coming out of it not too much worse for the wear, but mom completely derailed over the incident.
From that point on, Mom absolutely forbid dad or any of the rest of us to ride.

After both of my brothers moved away they started back riding, and I started back in 1981 when I left for the military. When I returned, I continued riding but mom didn’t like it. She said that she couldn’t control what I did but she didn’t have to like it, so she has put up with the fact that all of her kids rode motorcycles regularly. She finally began enjoying going on some of the long trips I would go on. She and dad would go on vacation and take the travel trailer and camp somewhere along my route.

It became no big deal for us but she still would rather that we didn’t ride. Dad was still banned.
Lately, I have been riding the Harley Road King that the neighbor has for sale to keep the battery charged (he does not ride). Last week, I got my helmet to go out and ride the Harley and in passing asked her if she wanted to take a spin on the big Harley before he sells it (dad was out of town all week). Mom looked at me and said that she believed that she would like to go.

I tried not to show my astonishment but told her to take of her flip flops and put on some shoes as I went and got my other helmet.
We did the low gear thing, but mom and I went on about a 30 minute ride through the country. She told me how much she enjoyed it even though the back seat on that bike is not exactly built for comfort.
I was thrilled. I guess it will always be one of those mother - daughter secrets.

IMG_1572.jpg

Kind of long, but please bear with me,

My dad, mom, my older brother and I all rode dirt bikes around 1968 to 1971. Dad rode on the street and mom did too. My older brother remembers how cool all of the other kids though mom was because she would take him to baseball practice on the motorcycle. My little brother was not riding yet.

Around 1971 or so, dad crashed in the dirt and broke his leg. The problem was that he threw an embolism and ended up in a coma and was expected to die for quite some time. Dad ended up coming out of it not too much worse for the wear, but mom completely derailed over the incident.
From that point on, Mom absolutely forbid dad or any of the rest of us to ride.

After both of my brothers moved away they started back riding, and I started back in 1981 when I left for the military. When I returned, I continued riding but mom didn’t like it. She said that she couldn’t control what I did but she didn’t have to like it, so she has put up with the fact that all of her kids rode motorcycles regularly. She finally began enjoying going on some of the long trips I would go on. She and dad would go on vacation and take the travel trailer and camp somewhere along my route.

It became no big deal for us but she still would rather that we didn’t ride. Dad was still banned.
Lately, I have been riding the Harley Road King that the neighbor has for sale to keep the battery charged (he does not ride). Last week, I got my helmet to go out and ride the Harley and in passing asked her if she wanted to take a spin on the big Harley before he sells it (dad was out of town all week). Mom looked at me and said that she believed that she would like to go.

I tried not to show my astonishment but told her to take of her flip flops and put on some shoes as I went and got my other helmet.
We did the low gear thing, but mom and I went on about a 30 minute ride through the country. She told me how much she enjoyed it even though the back seat on that bike is not exactly built for comfort.
I was thrilled. I guess it will always be one of those mother - daughter secrets.

IMG_1572.jpg

Yeah...but thats what I am talking about...kinda the unwritten or unspoken aspect that we all secretly cherished... I remember riding dirt bikes with my son and then he decided he wanted horses:doh: He has horses and rides to this day...Just not sure I want to get a horse now:lol2:

Janet, reckon your mom will ride again?

I sure hope your father doesn't check this WEB site or the cat could be out of the bag!! :rider: Great moment to remember.. :clap:

Gary

True, Gary. ;)

There have been hundreds of those special moments that have come to me while riding around this great country. Most cannot be put into words, like the feeling you get when riding through a mountain pass early in the morning with the cloud layer below you and nothing but clear, beautiful sky above.
Those moments will stay in my heart.

I sure hope your father doesn't check this WEB site or the cat could be out of the bag!! :rider: Great moment to remember.. :clap:

Gary

Maybe he needs to...might get a reprieve:trust: I quit riding for my x-wife...I was miserable...especially since so many of my friends have bikes...Bout the worse 3 years of my life:lol2:No wonder I got divorced:rider:

Closest I ever came to a Pre-Nup was 27 years ago when I said to my Fiance, "I will ALWAYS own and ride a motorcycle. If you're not OK with that, it's time to walk away now."
We've been married since....and I've always owned and ridden a bike.

Last edited:
Maybe he needs to...might get a reprieve:trust: I quit riding for my x-wife...I was miserable...especially since so many of my friends have bikes...Bout the worse 3 years of my life:lol2:No wonder I got divorced:rider:

I quit piloting helicopters when our first child was born (request from my wife) and I really missed it, but it was a very expensive hobby which I couldn't really afford, but I could never give up riding bikes. Fortunately my wife discovered bikes when we were dating and got into them so now my wife and both daughters (12 & 14) all ride bikes (off road for the kids) and we often go on road trips (each parent 2 up with a child) with our road bikes.. Great way to spend time together as a family and discover the USA..

Gary

Last edited:
Closest I ever came to a Pre-Nup was 27 years ago when I said to my Fiance, "I will ALWAYS own and ride a motorcycle. If you're not OK with that, it's time to walk away now."
We've been married since....and I've always owned and ridden a bike.

I have a friend that has been trying to talk his new wife into a bike...she told him he should have had the bike when they go married and it would have been grandfathered:lol2:

:tab I could sit here for days telling stories, good and bad. Hard to even think which ones are the best. I guess the first ride ever with my Dad on his new CB 450 back in '73 or '74... It turned into an unplanned dual sport ride :lol2: That bike did not make it a year before it mysteriously vanished. I think Mom had something to do with that. I did not ride again, other than a few short back seat rides on a friend's bike, until I was 33 and got a Nighthawk 750 (1999). That is when I went off the deep end. I did not get to grow up riding dirt bikes or racing. I still don't race, but I have been trying to make up for lost time :trust: Each time I got a new/different bike, it was always special. I have really good memories from riding all of them. It really has been an adventure and those that don't ride just don't seem to get it :shrug: I never had the anti-bike wife issues. Beth took the MSF course with me, aced it, and we had a bike for her within a week or so. Over the next four years she would rack up about 40K miles of riding on four different bikes. When we started having kids she stopped riding, not because she was worried about it, but mostly just because of the time issues and finding someone to watch the kids if we go riding together. She never had it bad like I do so even though she really enjoyed it, I don't think she misses it too much. She does enjoy the fact that the kids are riding now on the dirt bikes. I'm hoping that once Rachel gets older and can ride as well that maybe I can get a small bike for Beth so we can all go dirt riding together.

its funny Ghost there are so many little things worth remembering

very hard to tell to people who dont ride in some way, I can also recall the ride around your ranch on the 4x4 ranger, sheer terror

You think that was bad??? Try me in a Jeep on a mountain pass:lol2:

:tab I could sit here for days telling stories, good and bad. Hard to even think which ones are the best. I guess the first ride ever with my Dad on his new CB 450 back in '73 or '74... It turned into an unplanned dual sport ride :lol2: That bike did not make it a year before it mysteriously vanished. I think Mom had something to do with that. I did not ride again, other than a few short back seat rides on a friend's bike, until I was 33 and got a Nighthawk 750 (1999). That is when I went off the deep end. I did not get to grow up riding dirt bikes or racing. I still don't race, but I have been trying to make up for lost time :trust: Each time I got a new/different bike, it was always special. I have really good memories from riding all of them. It really has been an adventure and those that don't ride just don't seem to get it :shrug: I never had the anti-bike wife issues. Beth took the MSF course with me, aced it, and we had a bike for her within a week or so. Over the next four years she would rack up about 40K miles of riding on four different bikes. When we started having kids she stopped riding, not because she was worried about it, but mostly just because of the time issues and finding someone to watch the kids if we go riding together. She never had it bad like I do so even though she really enjoyed it, I don't think she misses it too much. She does enjoy the fact that the kids are riding now on the dirt bikes. I'm hoping that once Rachel gets older and can ride as well that maybe I can get a small bike for Beth so we can all go dirt riding together.

You are lucky in that regard...my wife has a tremendous fear of bikes. She had an uncle and cousin both killed on them. She has chosen to try to overcome this on a couple of occasions with bad results:doh: The latest last Sunday...my KLR is a mess now:giveup: At least she does not try to deter me in my passion:rider:

The ride that started a life long thrill. About 14 years old and I took my first ride on my older brother's Cushman Eagle. Twist the throttle and that straight pipe bellowed, wind in my face, and baby this is GREAT.

My soul was singing this before it was even written. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8"]Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild - YouTube[/ame]

My ride was in 1962.

I still get that thrill every ride.

The ride that started a life long thrill. About 14 years old and I took my first ride on my older brother's Cushman Eagle. Twist the throttle and that straight pipe bellowed, wind in my face, and baby this is GREAT.

My soul was singing this before it was even written. Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild - YouTube

My ride was in 1962.

I still get that thrill every ride.

Got to love that song if ya ride...its on my playlist for my ride music:rider:

Back in '74 I bought my first bike, a F8 Kaw that taught me to ride with only front brakes. While learning to hill climb along the right away for the new I-155 in Tennessee, I made 3 tries before topping out, just barely,and was verry glad as there was only four foot of the top left, as the back side had been cut out, leaving a 70 foot straight drop.

I learned to ride around hills in construction zones after that.

Back in '74 I bought my first bike, a F8 Kaw that taught me to ride with only front brakes. While learning to hill climb along the right away for the new I-155 in Tennessee, I made 3 tries before topping out, just barely,and was verry glad as there was only four foot of the top left, as the back side had been cut out, leaving a 70 foot straight drop.

I learned to ride around hills in construction zones after that.

Bet you checked your terrain a bit closer too:lol2:

I had a moment yesterday, on FM 294 south of Rusk, had just come off a county road and was accelerating up to speed to head to the next dirt road and from the right side of me and out of a young forest of pine saplings BOOM come four bucks from out of nowhere!! The morning was dewy and damp, and their velvet horns just shone in the morning light......it was if the whole world slowed down for just a minute.......the lead deer was at least a 12-pointer, the second a nice typical 8, the third had a funny-looking high rack and the fourth was maybe a 4 pointer....all of them had healthy-looking body condition and were very light tan in color.......anyway they gallumped and jumped ahead of me and across the road and then like ghosts were gone......
I'll never forget the sight of them running........;-)

Mine was July 14...2012.

My son and I rode to the Barber Motorsports Museum which is actually in Leeds, Alabama. After going thru it yesterday my son took off on a solo ride and found a local favorite sport road, Hwy 25 South. We rode it together today, wow what an awesome sport road. Sweepers, some tight tech stuff, and an amazing 20mph uphill, right hand, decreasing radius curve (which I blew :doh: :oops:). We stopped for a break at a popular overlook and met a local rider, Rodney on a GSXR750, who lead us on a great backroad short cut to our hotel :thumb:

So why was this a motorcycle memory? 'Cause today is when I had to admit to myself that my son is a faster/better rider than I am. Not by a terrible lot, but definitely faster. I could make excuses, I'm older and take less chances, his bike (FZ1) is a better handler than my 1250, the sun was in my eyes :lol2: He did very well in how he set up his turns, his throttle control, and braking. I was impressed.

Looks like it's time to step aside an let the faster riders take the point position.

Mark, it is good to read your post. I remember when you were worried about your son starting to ride. You were hoping he would be safe. Enjoy the rides with him, it is a great father/son activity.

Mine was July 14...2012.

My son and I rode to the Barber Motorsports Museum which is actually in Leeds, Alabama. After going thru it yesterday my son took off on a solo ride and found a local favorite sport road, Hwy 25 South. We rode it together today, wow what an awesome sport road. Sweepers, some tight tech stuff, and an amazing 20mph uphill, right hand, decreasing radius curve (which I blew :doh: :oops:). We stopped for a break at a popular overlook and met a local rider, Rodney on a GSXR750, who lead us on a great backroad short cut to our hotel :thumb:

So why was this a motorcycle memory? 'Cause today is when I had to admit to myself that my son is a faster/better rider than I am. Not by a terrible lot, but definitely faster. I could make excuses, I'm older and take less chances, his bike (FZ1) is a better handler than my 1250, the sun was in my eyes :lol2: He did very well in how he set up his turns, his throttle control, and braking. I was impressed.

Looks like it's time to step aside an let the faster riders take the point position.

My guess is he learned alot from you...there always seems a point where we reach the apex with our children. I remember wrestling with my son a couple of years ago and he finally took me down:lol2: I realize he is faster...but I am still stronger and have the experiance of my years, I immediatly rolled him up and pinned him;-)

Back