• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bite The Wieeenie - 2012

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
This was my third annual trip to Hollywood to "Bite The Wieeenie" at the 11th Annual event hosted by Dean Tanji. If you're unfamiliar with the name, he is the producer of Hard Miles and Hard Miles II, the story behind the 2007 and 2009 Iron Butt Rallies. If you were ever curious about what it takes to ride 11,000+ miles in 11 days while chasing bonus opportunities, you should pick up one of these videos.

Anyhow, this year was very similar to last year and the year before in the sense that it was cold and wet, although this year was the wettest by far. You think Houston or DFW traffic is bad? Try downtown L.A. freeways on a Saturday night in the pouring rain. I don't mind riding in the rain, but not in L.A., and not at night. I'll have to borrow the wife's iron so I can get the puckered seat to lay flat again.

Saturday morning at 8 am we were KSU from Chandler AZ, destination Palm Desert. After a great burger at Grill-A-Burger we jumped on 74 to ride to Idyllwild and then 243 to Banning so we could jump back on I-10 to ride to our hotel in Ontario. If you ever have the chance to ride in this area, these are two roads you don't want to miss. It can be a pain to pass at times, but the considerate drivers (usually with CA plates) will use the provided turn-outs to let you by.

Here is the area in question...
8198079854_ec31ce1eee_b.jpg

Use Google Maps or Google Earth to look at this route close up and you can see why it is so good. The elevation changes from about 150 feet at Palm Desert to over 6,000 feet so it can be chilly depending upon the time of the year. The lowest temperature I saw yesterday was 46 degrees, but there was snow (and cinders) on the road last year so you have to watch for ice in the tree-covered corners if the temps are really low.

After check-in, a shower and nap, it was time to head on in to L.A. (Montrose and La Brea). There had been light sprinkles in the afternoon while I napped, but the god of weather decided to hold his best stuff back until 8:30 pm and then he unleashed his torrents of the wet stuff. Not fun. Repeat. Not fun.

After arriving at Pinks we BS'd with the riff-raff that makes up the LD Riding Community; who had the latest farkles; who converted from HID to LED and why; who had the trickest GPS set-up; who's got the latest in fuel cell technology, and etc. It is not unusual to see three GPS units on a single rally bike and multiple lighting systems that will singe the hair on Bambi's back before you even get close to running into one of nature's greatest threats to motorcyclists.

There were a few big names in the Rally community there but many of the big dogs did not show up this year. The Iron Butt Rally rally mistress, Lisa Landry, was there with Dean and there were numerous IBR riders/finishers there as well.

We gathered about 10 pm to eat our dogs and chit chat for a while, and before you knew it, it was 1 am and time to head back to the hotel. Again, in the rain. Did I mention how much I do not like riding in L.A. traffic, at night, in the rain?

Four hours of sleep, some breakfast, pack/load, and then head back home. We left at 0830 and I got home at 1440 with a total of 866 miles under my belt and just under 13 hours in the saddle. Total moving average was 60 mph which is pretty darn good when you consider how much time we spent in the mountains.

I picked up two Riders Cup Challenge locations on the way there, obtained two objectives for the SPANK Rally while I was at Pinks, chatted with some great folks, and had two great mustard/kraut dogs and a Dr Brown's Root Beer.

A great way to spend a weekend.

No photos because I'm lousy at taking night shots, and even worse taking night shots in the rain so I left the camera in the saddlebag. If I see any of the photos that were being taken I'll link to them.

Dean's report as posted to the LD Riders List...

Bite The Wieeenie (BTW) RTE Ride Report
Sunday, Nov 18

This past week our weather has been typical Southern California – sunny, high 70’s with low’s in the mid-50’s. We are spoiled out here. It’s ride able all year. At this time the northern U.S. is smack in the middle of winter and horrendous storms are rolling though the northeast.

Our west coast weather snobbery smacked us in the face last night. All day it was overcast and the sprinkles started in the morning. Rain in Southern California? We had a high of 68°F and as “BTW”s golden midnight hours approached, 10:00PM-2:00AM, it continued to cycle between sprinkles and continuous rain!

Pink’s at midnight is an LD rider’s skill test. It’s a unique cultural experience located in the center of metro Los Angeles and all it’s traffic challenges, add the cover of midnight (when most riders never tread), and weather makes the challenge real. Last night it all came together ... traffic, darkness, and rain!

Although there is no official signups, many of the riders let me know in route how they’re doing.

Eric Bray, Colorado Springs, CO riding a ’04 BMW R1150GSA was attempting a Saddlesore 2000 with Bite… being the turn around. Eric was slightly delayed when he had to stop while the snow was cleared.

At 3:25PM, Mark Fischer, Oak Hills, CA riding a ‘99 Honda CBR1100XX, posted, “… I'm here at Pinks since 1430 (2:30 PM for the mathematically challenged) I'm the only bike here. FYI its raining rather goodly right now.”

I responded with, “Uhhhhhhhh Mark, "Bite the Wieeenie" starts at 10:00 PM this evening!!! It's a midnight RTE!”

Mark was only 7-1/2 hours early! Mark spent his time fixing his broken taillight in the rain. At 7:00PM I responded with, “OK! Hands down, you might have won the "Hanging around the longest at Pink's" award (a bottle of alka selzer) and maybe "The most chili hot dogs consumed" (bottle of Pepto Bismol).”

Finally at 10PM 28 hardy riders were on-hand to Bite The Wieeenie. 21 were from California, 6 from Arizona, and the furthest ride went to Eric Bray, 1,150 miles from Colorado Springs. Lisa Landry witnessed his first 1,000 miles. Heidi Still, Yuma, AZ, 08 BMW F800GS won the “Pimp My Ride” award. She owns this award. Finally at least 10+ of these riders are IBR vets.

The rain did cut down the typical Pinks crowd. The serpentine queue line to the counter was 20-30 minutes compared to the 1+ hour wait. Since it rained all day Pinks installed temporary pop-up tents to keep the queue line dry. There was an interesting contrast of families, couples, friends, shaved head bangers, riders in full ATGATT and a few young ladies in hot pants/high-heels shivering as we all shuffling along to the order windows. What followed was a midnight feeding-frenzy comparable to piranhas after a wounded wiener dog. It was ugly and there was hot dog parts all over Pinks!

Alas, BTW lost the great hot dog challenge issued by Bill Watt. The challenge was between west coast BTW-Pinks and east coast Chomp da Dog, Nu-Way. Both were to obtain T-shirts and have everyone sign it, photo record it and both were to be printed in Iron Butt Magazine. I brought black, blue & red permanent Sharpies and discovered the Pink’s T-shirts are black. So no rider signatures. No photo. Also the Pinks management was in no mood to stop hot dog creation with a 30-minute freezing cold, wet waiting line.

Feeding frenzies end when the food is gone. At 1:30AM, the last two riders headed out into the dark and rain … IBR vets Tom Loftus south to San Diego and Mark Crane north to the Bay Area.

Photos will be posted somewhere. I’ll let you know when they are up.

Dean Tanji
dtanji at gmail.com
Chief Hooligan and "Bite the Wieeenie" Grand Poo Baah

Actually, I haven't been on the LD Rider list in quite a while but Dean normally doesn't post it until at least around September.

I'm pretty close this year. I'll have to attend just to see the spectacle :D

Back