• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra

Love the story and great pictures. I spent some time in Paraguay hace muchos anos so I look forward to more of your travels in Paraguay. Vaya con Dios.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Filadelphia and Loma Plata, Paraguay... Habla Alemán?

Paraguay+-+047.jpg

From El Chaco I rode south.
Paraguay+-+146.jpg

The dirt road eventually turned into an asphalt road.

In the town of Mariscal stopped and checked in with the Paraguayan Migration (Immigration) to get my passport stamped. No worries, it was a quick and easy process.
Paraguay+-+086.jpg

As I was exiting the town I passed by this sign. Being from Texas, I had to check this out.
Paraguay+-+087.jpg

I located the restaurant and decide to take a break for lunch.
Paraguay+-+088.jpg

On the inside, the restaurant had this sign. The image on the left is the logo of my alma mater... The University of Texas at Austin. The image on the right is a classic logo of the Marlboro Man.

I met the owners of the restaurant. It turns out the owners were not from Texas at all. It was a married couple, the man was German and the woman was Thai. I asked them how they came up with the name and theme for the restaurant. They said that they used to live in Filadelphia, a town down the road, and bought the restaurant from another family. They moved the restaurant to Mariscal because they felt that there was to much competition in Filadelphia. Fair enough, I asked them what they had on the menu that was from Texas. The lady said that they hamburgers and spaghetti. Well, it was not quite the authentic Texas culinary experience that I was hoping for, but I wished them well.
Paraguay+-+090.jpg

I was actually traveling to the town of Filadelphia and the Mennonite colonies.

Filadelfia is the capital of Boquerón Department in the El Chaco. It is the centre of the Fernheim Colony. It is about a 5 hour drive from the capital of Asunción. The town of Filadelphia and this part of El Chaco had an interesting history.

Filadelfia was founded in 1930 by Mennonites who fled from the Soviet Union because of religious persecution. The journey to Paraguay was extremely difficult. Their destination, set aside by Paraguayan government decree, was completely undeveloped. Travel was exhausting: a steamboat was taken up the Paraguay River to Puerto Casado, from where a narrow gauge railway went 150 km (93 mi) west into the Chaco bush. From there it was a few more long days of travel by oxcart to their settlement area. Over decades, the Mennonites turned a dry and thistle covered area into fertile farmland.

The economic base of Fernheim is agriculture and processing of agricultural products. The most important products are cotton, peanuts, beef, milk and dairy products.

Filadelfia lay near the front of the Chaco War, but was little affected due to the pacifist beliefs and customs of the Mennonites.
Paraguay+-+105.jpg

Today the town has a city hall, museum, a library, a radio station and other structures. The colony's villages lie around Filadelfia, as do several native reserves, home to much of the area's native population, from the Chulupí, Lengua, Toba-Pilaga, Sanapaná and Ayoreo groups.
Paraguay+-+103.jpg

The hospital
Paraguay+-+102.jpg

The pharmacy
Paraguay+-+099.jpg

The elementary school
Paraguay+-+100.jpg

A park and playground
Paraguay+-+101.jpg

The houses tended to be rather large, to accommodate the families with numerous children, but were simple and utilitarian in design.
Paraguay+-+097.jpg

The center point for the whole town and community was the large and modern cooperative supermarket. It was like a compact Walmart selling everything from groceries to auto parts to agricultural products.
Paraguay+-+096.jpg

The colonial museam
Paraguay+-+095.jpg

An old clock housed at the museum.
Paraguay+-+114.jpg

An antique coffee grinder.
Paraguay+-+113.jpg

A telephone from the era.
Paraguay+-+138.jpg

I visited another town of the Mennonite colonies called Loma Plata. It was the first colony of Canadian immigrants in the region and was founded in 1927. It is an important urban and administrative center for the Cooperatives Menno. It is the base of the huge dairy cooperative known as Trebol. Supposedly this area produces something like 80% of the agricultural exports for the country of Paraguay.
Paraguay+-+116.jpg

There was another colonial museum in the town of Loma Plata.
Paraguay+-+109.jpg

A monument dedicated the founding of the colony
Paraguay+-+115.jpg

A museum with displays about the founding and struggle to develop the city.
Paraguay+-+112.jpg

A rustic colonial style house.
Paraguay+-+117.jpg

A basic horse drawn wagon form the good old days.
Paraguay+-+111.jpg

Rudimentary plows and farm instruments used by settlers.
Paraguay+-+119.jpg

One of the great things about the accommodation in the Mennonite colonies was they tended to serve nice German style buffet breakfasts.

Prior to visiting these Mennonite colonies I thought that the population would be 80% Indigenous and 20% German Mennonite. However, the population breakdown was probably a reverse of these percentages - with the larger percentage of the population being Mennonite.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Central Chaco Lagoons...From a Bird's Eye Perspective.

Paraguay+-+139.jpg

I traveled south through an area known as the Central Chaco Lagoons.
Paraguay+-+121.jpg

Higher rainfall combined with improperly drained lowland soils lead to a somewhat swampy plain, sometimes known as Chaco Húmedo or Humid Chaco, with a more open savanna vegetation consisting of palm trees, quebracho trees and tropical high grass areas with a wealth of insects.
Paraguay+-+126.jpg

The area was rich with various types of birdlife. It was difficult to get close enough to the birds to take good photos. As soon as I stopped my motorcycle, the birds would fly to another location.
Paraguay+-+123.jpg

For serious bird watchers, in El Chaco, one can find Black-legged Seriema, Black-bodied Woodpecker, Chaco Owl, Quebracho Crested Tinamou, Crested Gallito and Spot-winged Falconet.
Paraguay+-+124.jpg

It looked like the surrounding environment was the perfect habitat for insects, reptiles and fish that could serve as a food source for all the birds. I just found it interesting how many different types of birds I saw within a short distance of riding.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Concepcion... A Port Town Along The River Paraguay

Paraguay+-+163.jpg

I visited the town of Concepcion that lies along the Paraguay River.
Paraguay+-+158.jpg

Concepción is a city in northern Paraguay and capital of the Concepción Department. Throughout the town there were examples of colonial style architecture such as this government building.
Paraguay+-+159.jpg

Founded by a Spanish Governor, named Agustín Fernado de Pinedo, the town prospered in the early years of the 20th century, as a centre for the north of the country, exploiting the new wealth of the Gran Chaco, and a river port. On a number of the street corners there were large houses that at one time were occupied by the wealthy merchant families.
Paraguay+-+168.jpg

Today, Concepcion is a bustling little town with an active market.
Paraguay+-+156.jpg

The town was also a centre for the Paraguayan Civil War of 1947. I visited the Museo Municipal (Municipal Museum) which contained items from the Civil War and Chaco War.
Paraguay+-+153.jpg

There were various maps on display that demonstrated the territory and the changes in the territory before and after the wars.
Paraguay+-+155.jpg

There were also some artifacts from the indigenous groups that have lived around the area.

Concepcion is located along the Paraguay River. There were barges moving up and down the river carrying all types of goods. I took a walk along the river and saw a barge being unloaded by the dock workers. The workers one by one were carrying large bags of goods on their shoulders from the boat across a plank to a cargo truck on the shore. It was a rudimentary manner of moving the goods, but for me it made a nice visual image.
Paraguay+-+150.jpg

After walking around the town, I enjoyed a meal of chicken and yuca in a small restaurant. The food was okay, but what I found interesting was that the owner of the restaurant simply parked his motorcycle inside the dining area of the restaurant. Got to love it.
Paraguay+-+147.jpg

I thought that I would show a little love to my motorcycle. Emi was dirty from riding all the dirt roads in El Chaco, so I decided to have her cleaned up at a local car wash.
Paraguay+-+160.jpg

It seemed like everyone in Concepcion commuted by motorcycle. The majority of the motorcycles that I saw on the road were small, either 125cc or 250cc, motos made in China. This motorcycle store was receiving and unloading a new shipment of motos.
Paraguay+-+165.jpg

I saw this new three wheel sport utility moto that I thought was nice.
Paraguay+-+161.jpg

And the old school version. There were a number of horse drawn wagons in Concepcion used for transporting goods and people.

Re: The Adventure Begins... La Laguna Blanca... Red Sand to White Sand

While I was in Bolivia I heard from another traveler that there was a nice nature area to visit in Paraguay called La Laguna Blanca. I made a mental note and promised myself that if I was near the area I would try to visit it. While in Concepcion I tried to look for information about La Laguna Blanca. I asked a few locals, but they had not heard of the area. I searched online and found a little information.
Paraguay_lagunablanca.jpg

The google map was not too helpful. I was in Concepcion (point A) and wanted to go to Laguna Blanca (point B). It indicated that there was no road reaching La Laguna Blanca from highway 3.
Paraguay+-+172.jpg

I searched around a little bit more online and found these written directions... "From the crossroad at Santa Rosa del Aguaray take a 27 kilometers long pebbled road towards East. In dry weather the trip can be made in car; otherwise it should be made in high-clearance vehicles." Hmmm... I thought that Emi, my motorcycle, could be considered a high-clearance vehicle... she has a suspension with10 inches of clearance.

I also found this map from the Rancho Laguna Blanca website. I was pretty sure that the map was not to scale, but it had some nice landmarks (puentes, agua, porton) for reference.

So with these three pieces of information I would try to triangulate my way to La Laguan Blanca. And, if some of you are wondering, my GPS was useless when I tried to locate La Laguna Blanca.
Paraguay+-+146.jpg

Just as the google map indicated, there was an asphalt highway from Concepcion to the town of Santa Rosa. I stocked up on some groceries at one of the local stores. I had trouble finding the crossroad that would lead to the pebbled road, so I stopped and asked a couple of people for directions.

When I ask for directions I always like to ask at least two different people... just to confirm. The first person that I asked gave me some hand signals and directions. The second person that I asked was a motorcyclist. He gave me some hand signals and directions and said that he was heading in the same direction. So off we went.
Paraguay+-+173.jpg

The pebbled road was actually more of a dirt and sand road. The sand was a rich red color...quite stunning next to the green vegetation of the countryside. It had been raining over the past few days, so the road was not in the best of conditions. Most of the puddles were only an inch deep, but some of the puddles were a foot deep. I tried to ride around most of the big puddles. Just as the written directions had indicated... "for high-clearance vehicles".
Paraguay+-+271.jpg

And, just as the graphical map indicated, I would pass over a number of bridges. The bridge in this photo was in relatively good condition compared to some of the other bridges. I rode quickly over the bridges so that I would not fall through the cracks.
Paraguay+-+174.jpg

I eventually came across a sign and intersection. I actually passed this intersection at first and had to double back after riding a few miles.
Paraguay+-+175.jpg

I rode down this winding dirt road and would disappear into the forest.
Paraguay+-+176.jpg

The narrow path that led through the forest was fun. It was muddy and filled with puddles, but Emi seemed to handle it well.
Paraguay+-+178.jpg

At one point along this path, I came across a gate. See the yellow things along the side of the road.
Paraguay+-+180.jpg

There were hundreds of yellow butterflies waiting by the gate to welcome me into the park. They fluttered by in salute.
Paraguay+-+264.jpg

I eventually arrived at La Laguna Blanca. From red sand to white sand.
Paraguay+-+262.jpg

This beach umbrella and lounge chairs were beckoning me.
Paraguay+-+182.jpg

I found a place to park my bike, set up camp, ate dinner and watched the sun disappear on the horizon.
Paraguay+-+267.jpg

The next morning I was greeted by this little guy. He was the pet of the park ranger. After I fed him some of my food he would follow me everywhere.
Paraguay+-+268.jpg

I met some other travels at the park. They were a friendly group of South Africans. After being in Paraguay for about two weeks, these were the first international travelers that I had met. We went on a few nature hikes and shared a few meals.
Paraguay+-+185.jpg

Over the next few days I would explore the area around the laguna. It did rain on and off.
Paraguay+-+206.jpg

The water of the laguna was very clear. It was a bit cold at first, but nice to swim in. I tried my luck at fishing, but was unsuccessful.
Paraguay+-+216.jpg

The area around the laguna consisted mainly of low lying forests and scrubs. There was not anything in the surroundings that grabbed my attention and that I would call super amazing.
Paraguay+-+261.jpg

But in the details there was a beauty that I would call graceful.
Paraguay+-+188.jpg

The texture of the fungus on a tree limb.
Paraguay+-+197.jpg

The intricate abstract design of a termite mound.
Paraguay+-+213.jpg

The rustic patterns of tree bark.
Paraguay+-+254.jpg

The delicate layers of fungus...
Paraguay+-+249.jpg

Fungus...
Paraguay+-+224.jpg

And more fungus... among us.
Paraguay+-+232.jpg

I could look to the sky and see birds soaring above me.
Paraguay+-+236.jpg

I could look to the ground and find an hormiga (ant) the size of a bottle cap.
Paraguay+-+257.jpg

There were tracks of animals with hoofs like small deer.
Paraguay+-+259.jpg

There were markings from animals with claws like raccoons or anteaters.
Paraguay+-+205.jpg

And there were traces of animals like this... with big paws the size of a fist... perhaps from a puma or jaguar.
Paraguay+-+186.jpg

In this area, metaphorically there appeared to be many things hidden under layers and layers. I felt as if I was just scratching the surface. I spent three days camping in La Laguna Blanca. It was a solitary place... a peaceful place... a reflective place. However, I needed to move on.
Paraguay+-+273.jpg

I waited for a moment when the rain would subside, then departed La Laguna Blanca. I left the white sand for the red sand. I would make my way back down the muddy road.
Paraguay+-+272.jpg

The road was in worse condition that when I had traveled it previously. Progress was slow.

A funny thing happened.

I stopped at this point to take a photo of the muddy road and this particular puddle. To me the puddle appeared to be pretty deep. There was no room on the right nor left side to ride around the obsticle. Just after I took this photo a small truck pulled up behind me. The driver stopped briefly and glanced at me to see why I was waiting by the side of the road. He took a quick look at the puddle and then accelerated. He passed halfway across the puddle, but on the outbound side of the puddle his truck bogged down. The level of the water was probably knee high. He had lost his traction and was spinning his wheels. The truck was only 2 wheel drive and not 4 wheel drive. The water was deeper than the axles of the truck. Water soon started entering the interior of the cabin. He glanced back at me with a puzzled look. He kept his foot on the accelerator, but he kept digging his wheels deeper into the mud. He opened up his window and called out to me. He asked me if I would push him through the puddle. I wanted to help the guy, but I was not looking forward to it.

I knew that it would be a wet and muddy proposition. I was already dirty on the outside of my riding gear from riding through the mud, but I did not want to get my boots, socks and pants completely immersed in the water and mud.

I paused to think for a moment... then acted. I quickly dismounted my motorcycle and stripped off my riding gear... jacket, pants, boots and socks. I rolled up my pants and waded through the water and mud. I started to push the truck while the man accelerated. We were not very successful. After about a minute... his truck stalled. Water had entered either the exhaust or engine. Water had entered the cabin. He was stuck. He climbed out of his truck, waded through the water and settled on the dry ground. We looked at each other for a moment in despair.

We chatted for a while. He thanked me for trying to help. He called someone on his phone for assistance. He said that they would come by later. I asked him if he would be okay if I continued on my journey. He said that he would be okay.

I did notice that he was packing an automatic pistol, something like a Glock 9. I felt like he would be okay on his own.

To give myself the best chance of riding through the puddle, I first waded through the water to find a high spot. The best route that I could find was still about a foot under water and with loose mud.

I put back on my riding gear, started up my motorcycle and said a little prayer.

I twisted Emi's throttle... she bolted forward... slush... slush... slush... back wheel moving... back wheel spinning... play with the clutch... a little more throttle... slush... slush...slush... keep the front wheel strait... back wheel sliding... play with the clutch... a little more throttle...slush... slush...slush... varooooom! Out of the puddle. And that is why Emi is so amazing.

The adventure begins... when the road ends!

I looked back at the stranded truck driver. He waived at me. I waived back. I rode on.

After an hour or so of some more puddle jumping I made my way back to the asphalt highway. I was glad to see it.

Paraguay+-+279.jpg

I would travel west on the highway toward the city of Asuncion. Rain clouds were forming on the horizon, so I pulled over to put on my rain gear. As I looked back I saw something coming toward me. I turned and snapped this photo. A horse and wagon on the highway next to my horse and wagon... Emi.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Jesuit Missions of Jesus de Tavarangue and Trinidad

I rode south to the town of Encarnacion.

Just outside of Encarnacion are the ruins of the Jesuit Missions of Jesus de Tavarangue and Trinidad. They were religious missions that were founded by the Jesuit missionaries during the colonization of South America in the 17th century. The missions were created in 1609 and developed for 150 years. Both areas were declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1993. The Jesuit Missions of Paraguay are considered some of the most impressive creations of the religious work of the Jesuits, and are testimony of the historical richness of the country.
Paraguay+-+548.jpg

First up... Jesus de Tavarangue. The church of Reducción de Jesús (Jesus’ Mission) was in the process of being built when the Jesuits were expelled from the Río de la Plata Province. It would have been one of the biggest churches of that time, with a central structure of 70 by 24 metres (230 by 79 ft). The structure's design was based on the Church of Loyola, in Italy. The three doors of access, located in the front, created impressive entryways. UNESCO declared it a World Heritage Site in 1993. It is considered one of the most important edifications of the 30 Jesuits towns in the region. The stone pulpit, the friezes of angels, the rose shaped carved stone in the lintels in the doors and the bell tower stand out in its architecture. The ruins of these missions show a way of life and education marked by its own and singular style.
Paraguay+-+416.jpg

Paraguay+-+419.jpg

See more
Paraguay+-+554.jpg

I left the Jesus Mission and headed down the road. Along the way I passed by this cemetary.

Paraguay+-+574.jpg

I came across this farm and thought the juxtaposition of the farm house, tree and longhorn were perfect. If the longhorn would just look my way...
Paraguay+-+582.jpg

It would be perfect.
Paraguay+-+578.jpg

He decided to appease me.
Paraguay+-+590.jpg

Second up... Trinidad. The Santísima Trinidad del Paraná Mission is considered the biggest of all the missions. Natives came from the missions of San Carlos (now in the territory of Argentina) in 1712. This mission has the biggest temple among all the Jesuit Missions, with an altar carved out of a single piece of stone. Some of the stone carvings within the mission illustrate the persecution of the natives at that time. It has a central square, the town’s place of meeting. Located in the old sacristy, are many sculptures and a scale model of the mission. These ruins are in the process of being restored.
Paraguay+-+654.jpg

The principle inhabits are now termites.
Paraguay+-+588.jpg

Paraguay+-+591.jpg

See more
source: Wikipedia

Re: The Adventure Begins... Itaipu Dam

I headed north toward Ciudad del Este and visited the Itaipu Dam.
Paraguay+-+718.jpg

The Itaipu Dam is a hydroelectric dam on the Paraná River located on the border between Brazil and Paraguay. The name "Itaipu" was taken from an isle that existed near the construction site. In the Guaraní language, Itaipu means "the sounding stone".
Paraguay+-+732.jpg

The dam is the largest operating hydroelectric facility in terms of annual energy generation, generating 94.7 TWh in 2008 and 91.6 TWh in 2009, while the annual energy generation of the Three Gorges Dam was 80.8 TWh in 2008 and 79.4 TWh in 2009. Though, the dam's 14,000 MW installed capacity is second to the Three Gorges Dam's 22,500 MW.
Paraguay+-+739.jpg

It is a binational undertaking run by Brazil and Paraguay at the Paraná River on the border section between the two countries, 15 km (9.3 mi) north of the Friendship Bridge. The project ranges from Foz do Iguaçu, in Brazil, and Ciudad del Este in Paraguay, in the south to Guaíra and Salto del Guairá in the north.
Paraguay+-+746.jpg

The installed generation capacity of the plant is 14 GW, with 20 generating units providing 700 MW each with a hydraulic design head of 118 m. In 2008 the plant generated a record 94.68 TWh, supplying 90% of the electricity consumed by Paraguay and 19% of that consumed by Brazil.
Paraguay+-+752.jpg

Of the twenty generator units currently installed, ten generate at 50 Hz for Paraguay and ten generate at 60 Hz for Brazil.
Paraguay+-+758.jpg

Two 600 kV HVDC lines, each approximately 800 km long, carry both Brazilian and Paraguayan energy to São Paulo where the terminal equipment converts the power to 60 Hz.
Paraguay+-+772.jpg

In 1994, the American Society of Civil Engineers elected the Itaipu Dam as one of the seven modern Wonders of the World. In 1995, the American magazine Popular Mechanics published the results.
Paraguay+-+776.jpg

When construction of the dam began, approximately 10,000 families living beside the Paraná River were displaced.
Paraguay+-+779.jpg

The world's largest waterfall by volume, the Guaíra Falls were drowned by the newly formed Itaipu reservoir. The Brazilian government liquidated the Guaíra Falls National Park, and dynamited the submerged rock face where the falls had been, facilitating safer navigation, but eliminating the possibility of restoring the falls in the future.
Paraguay+-+784.jpg

A few months before the reservoir was filled, 80 people died when an overcrowded bridge overlooking the falls collapsed, as tourists sought a last glimpse of the falls.
Paraguay+-+726.jpg

All of that can be summed up by saying... it's a pretty big dam!

source: Wikipedia

Re: The Adventure Begins...Crossing Three Frontiers..Ciudad del Este..Puerto Iguazu

Paraguay_3frontiers.jpg

From Ciudad del Este I planned to visit the famous Iguazu Falls. One can access the falls by Puerto Iguazu in Argentina or Foz de Iguacu in Brazil. I wanted to see the falls from both vantage points, so I planned my route.

There is a bridge called the Friendship Bridge that spans the Rio Parana between Ciudad del Este, Paraguay and Foz de Iguacu, Brazil. It is a highly trafficked bridge and I had heard that it somethings takes hours to cross the border with a vehicle. This proposition did not sound apealing.

A Paraguayan friend of mine had mentioned to me that there was a ferry that crosses the Rio Parana into Puerto Iguazu, Argentina from a small town, just south of Ciudad del Este, called Presidente Franco. Supposedly the route was lightly trafficked. It sounded more like my style.

So I plotted my route to travel south from Ciudad del Este to Presidente Franco. I would take the ferry to Puerto Iguazu, Argentina and see the falls in one day. Then I would travel from Puerto Iguazu, Argentina across a land bridge to Foz de Iguacu, Brazil and see the falls from the second vantage point.
Paraguay+-+882.jpg

I rode south for about 30 minutes to the town of Presidente Franco and found the ferry. I was the only non-local crossing the border so immigration and customs processing only took about two minutes.
Paraguay+-+885.jpg

It was a short crossing and only took about 10 minutes. It cost about US$10. To the left was Brazil. To the right was Argentina.
Paraguay+-+886.jpg

Behind me was Paraguay.
Paraguay+-+888.jpg

La Triple Frontera... The three frontiers all seen from this one vantage point.
Paraguay+-+887.jpg

The ferry approached the dock of Puerto Iguazu, Argentina and I rode off. Again, the immigration and customs processing was quick and easy.

It turned out to be nice and relaxing way to cross the frontier.

Re: The Adventure Begins... What If Money Was No Object?

Ask yourself. What would you do with your life if money was no object?

See the video

See the video

You are doing it Troy! :hail: Thank You, for the example you have set.

Great video by the way. I will have to do a little research on Mr. Watts.

Sam

See the video

Troy,

I have been enjoying your adventure for quite a while now, and have had great respect for you just getting on the BIke and exploring the wonders of the area and cultures south of the US. However, my respect has more than tripled when I learned that you are an alumni of UT .....

HOOK EM HORNS !!!!!!!

Ride on and ride safe.

Dale

Longhorns like to roam.

Troy,

I have been enjoying your adventure for quite a while now, and have had great respect for you just getting on the BIke and exploring the wonders of the area and cultures south of the US. However, my respect has more than tripled when I learned that you are an alumni of UT .....

HOOK EM HORNS !!!!!!!

Ride on and ride safe.

Dale

I don't know much about Alan Watts, but I agree with his thoughts about travel.

You are doing it Troy! :hail: Thank You, for the example you have set.

Great video by the way. I will have to do a little research on Mr. Watts.

Sam

Re: The Adventure Begins... Iguazu Falls, Argentina

From Puerto Iguazu it was a short ride to Iguazu Falls.
Brazil+-+0004.jpg

Iguazu Falls is considered one of the seven wonders of the natural world. So I thought that it was worth a visit.
Brazil+-+0003.jpg

I rode my moto to the entrance of the Parque Nacional Iguazu. Bought an admission ticket for 130 Pesos and walked in.
Brazil+-+0007.jpg

The Iguazu Falls are waterfalls of the Iguazu River on the border of Brazilian State Paraná and Argentine Province Misiones. The falls divide the river into the upper and lower Iguazu.
Brazil+-+0011.jpg

The park is a major tourist destination and had this little train to carry visitors to the upper falls.
Brazil+-+0013.jpg

The name "Iguazu" comes from the Guarani or Tupi words "y", meaning "water", and "ûasú ", meaning "big". Legend has it that a god planned to marry a beautiful woman named Naipí, who fled with her mortal lover Tarobá in a canoe. In rage, the god sliced the river, creating the waterfalls and condemning the lovers to an eternal fall. The first European to find the falls was the Spanish conquistador Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca in 1541.
Brazil+-+0173.jpg

After debarking from the train, I walked along an elevated walkway.
Brazil+-+0018.jpg

Iguazu Falls is located where the Iguazu River tumbles over the edge of the Paraná Plateau, 23 kilometres (14 mi) upriver from the Iguazu's confluence with the Paraná River.
Brazil+-+0168.jpg

Numerous islands along the 2.7-kilometre-long (1.7 mi) edge divide the falls into numerous separate waterfalls and cataracts, varying between 60 to 82 metres (197 to 269 ft) high.
Brazil+-+0023.jpg

The number of these smaller waterfalls fluctuates from 150 to 300, depending on the water level.
Brazil+-+0024.jpg

About half of the river's flow falls into a long and narrow chasm called the Devil's Throat (Garganta del Diablo in Spanish or Garganta do Diabo in Portuguese).
Brazil+-+0060.jpg

The Devil's Throat is U-shaped, 82 meters high, 150 m wide, and 700 m long (269×490×2,300 ft). Mist rises between 30 and 150 metres (100 and 490 ft) from Iguazu's Devil's Throat.
Brazil+-+0133.jpg

The Iguazu Falls are arranged in a way that seems like a reverse letter "J".
Brazil+-+0161.jpg

The border between Brazil and Argentina runs through the Devil's Throat. On the left bank is the Brazilian territory, which has just over 20% of the jumps of these falls, and the right side jumps are Argentines, which make up almost 80% of the falls.
Brazil+-+0092.jpg

Iguazu is also often compared with Southern Africa's Victoria Falls which separates Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Brazil+-+0098.jpg

Iguazu is wider because it is split into about 275 discrete falls and large islands.
Brazil+-+0111.jpg

The only wider falls are extremely large rapid-like falls such as the Boyoma Falls.
Brazil+-+0045.jpg

Upon seeing Iguazu, the United States' First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt reportedly exclaimed "Poor Niagara!"(which, at 50 m or 165 feet, are a third shorter).
Brazil+-+0078.jpg

The Devil's Throat in Argentina has water pouring into it from three sides. At one point a person can stand and be surrounded by 260 degrees of waterfalls.
See video
Here's a short 1 minute video of the Devil's Throat.
Brazil+-+0100.jpg

I was not alone at the falls. Like I said, it is a major tourist attraction and there were some areas that were elbow to elbow in tourists.
Brazil+-+0175.jpg

I decided that I wanted a little more space, so I walked on.
Brazil+-+0178.jpg

Along the path I came across some butterflies drinking water puddles.
Brazil+-+0197.jpg

Place names have been given to many of the other smaller falls, such as San Martin Falls, Bossetti Falls and many others.
Brazil+-+0249.jpg

Water
Brazil+-+0209.jpg

Rainbow
Brazil+-+0273.jpg

Chasm
Brazil+-+0293.jpg

Flora
Brazil+-+0257.jpg

Fuana
Brazil+-+0330.jpg

Twin Sisters
Brazil+-+0310.jpg

Drinking it up.
Brazil+-+0307.jpg

Fall
Brazil+-+0321.jpg

After fall
Brazil+-+0325.jpg

After fall
Brazil+-+0338.jpg

This is little animal is a coati. It is a relative of the raccoon. They are a bit of a pest and will still items of food or clothing if left unattended.
Brazil+-+0347.jpg

This industrious group of coatis was working together. One coati climbed the tree and shook the palm. The fruit fell down and the others dined.
Brazil+-+0327.jpg

I spent the entire day walking around the trails of the park.
Brazil+-+0353.jpg

Iguazu Falls... one of the seven wonders of the natural world.

Great stuff Troy. thanks.
What are your plans for xmas and new years.

That waterfall(s) looked very powerful. I'll bet it was even more so in person. There is so much to see in our world and we (most of us) see so little of it. Thanks for giving us a glimpse.

Dale

I love the shot looking down the row of all the falls, seems to go on forever!

Vinny, I'm going to be in northern California visiting my sister and family. I'll be back in Austin after the new year.

Troy,

What an amazing and inspiring trip you have had. I don't anyone on TWTEX will ever match the range and breadth of your global two-wheeled odyssey.

It might be cool if you could have a slide-show presentation some night about your journey in Austin. Perhaps Richard of Texas Adventure could host it? I know I would attend. I have so many questions.

Be Safe,

RB

That waterfall(s) looked very powerful. I'll bet it was even more so in person. There is so much to see in our world and we (most of us) see so little of it. Thanks for giving us a glimpse.

Dale

Dale, I'm like a little kid. On one of the smaller falls that I could get close to I picked up a stick and threw it in the water, just to see what would happen. Well the stick just disappeared... never saw it surface... powerful indeed.

Vinny, I'm going to be in northern California visiting my sister and family. I'll be back in Austin after the new year.

Always good to have some family time. I hope to see you while you are in Austin.

Troy Sighting

He's like one of those garden gnomes that gets stolen from your yard and starts turning up all over the world...

i-J8vnD3k-L.jpg

Back