• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trail Riding Rules: Sec 4 - What to do when a rider crashes.

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Jamey, his co-worker Matt, another friend of mine Drew, and myself went for one last ride before the year was out Monday 12/31. It would turn out to be a day of crashes for most of us.

Trail Riding Rules: Sec 4 - What to do when a rider crashes
1.) See if rider is ok or injured. (if rider is ok proceed to #2, if rider is injured go straight to #3)
2.) Take a pic
3.) Render aid

Jamey's first crash I didn't see, but came up on after the fact. From my angle it looked like the bike was on top of him, and I could hear him moaning quite a bit over the sound of the bikes. So from there it was a scramble to get the bike up, and see if he was ok. As it turns out, he just had the wind knocked out of him. :lol2:

His second crash I got to see, and it was impressive. He got cross ways on some small logs and the bike kicked back and forth several times kicking him up off the seat. At one point he was in the air going one direction, and the bike in the other, though he was still holding on to the bars. About the time he got stretched out the bike hit a tree releasing him and spinning the bike in the air. they both landed and bounced, and surprisingly both were unharmed. I promptly checked to see if he was ok and once we determined he was, out came the phone for pics. :D
This is the aftermath.

IMG_2111-M.jpg

IMG_2112-M.jpg

IMG_2114-M.jpg

IMG_2113-M.jpg

I need to go back and carve into the tree: "Jamey and a KTM were here" :rofl:

IMG_2115-M.jpg

My only real "crash" I wouldn't even call a crash. A crash is technically defined and a handlebar touching the ground. :trust:
Coming across one on the bridges which are: wood, covered in moss and wet. The bike got squirrely so I tried to correct with a little bit of throttle. That sent the back end straight to the side rail. This happened 2 or 3 tims kicking back and forth before the bike went straight for the side. It ended with my feet firmly on the bridge holding onto the bars trying to keep it from gong over. :lol2:

IMG_2106-M.jpg

IMG_2107-M.jpg

IMG_2108-M.jpg

IMG_2110-M.jpg

All in all it was a great day, and great ride. The trails were pretty rough in several stretches from the roots, and the downed trees were a challenge.
But the trails were moist, but not too muddy so it was great. There's a few pics of me stuff in one of the deeper mud holes trying to restart after stalling. :doh:

Here's a few more random pics.

IMG_2117-M.jpg

Kick stands? Who needs kick stands?

IMG_2116-M.jpg

IMG_2105-M.jpg

IMG_2104-M.jpg

In one post, you have single-handedly convinced me, I don't need to be doing that kind of riding. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Glad you all were ok.

Hey, if you're not crashing, you're not doing it right :rofl:

Everyone was ok, no broken bones. Just sore muscles and ear to ear smiles :D

Wow, that's a gash in the tree, must have it hard! Glad he was o-k!

In one post, you have single-handedly convinced me, I need to get back to doing that kind of riding.

poser said:
It would turn out to be a day of crashes for most of us.
Dang, if I go out on a dirt bike, that's what the day will be for me every time. :rofl:

He is still moaning like an old man when he tries to do anything more than breathe. :giveup:

When I left for work that morning, my instructions were very clear: Don't do anything stupid.

He still says he didn't. I told him beating up on his body like that sounds pretty stupid to me. He says hitting the tree with his body instead of the bike would have been the stupid thing. :roll:

The bikes look fine, so I guess that's a bonus. :lol2:

By the way, apparently the photograph part of the rule also applies to being stuck somewhere and needing help from your buddies. You know, like right smack in the middle of a soupy mud pit. :D

Poser, was bridge wet? How did you go off side? Doesn't look like fun! lol

That looks like a great day out, shame I don't still live in Texas or I would have loved to join you.. Having to go ski-ing at the weekends for the moment!! Life near the north pole is cold!! :lol2:

Gary

Last edited:
He is still moaning like an old man when he tries to do anything more than breathe. :giveup:

When I left for work that morning, my instructions were very clear: Don't do anything stupid.

He still says he didn't. I told him beating up on his body like that sounds pretty stupid to me. He says hitting the tree with his body instead of the bike would have been the stupid thing. :roll:

The bikes look fine, so I guess that's a bonus. :lol2:

To be fair, I told him to ride faster and the whoops would be easier :lol2:

Poser, was bridge wet? How did you go off side? Doesn't look like fun! lol

Yeah, the bridge was covered in moss and a just damp enough to be super slick

Classic - now we know why they put railings on the bridges:eek2:

Thanks for the nice pics ---

Ribs o-k?
The first get off did me in. It has been a long time since I've had the wind knocked out of me. I just laid there and moaned. My ribs took the impact the first time. So I'm guessing they're bruised a bit. No exterior bruising.

When I split the trees I was relieved the bars cleared till I felt the back kick out. That's the point when my body let go just not my hands.

Bike looks fine pushed the muffler in a bit.

Jamey and I need to to run a tree avoidance clinic.

I would instruct the 'appropriate padding' primer.

In one post, you have single-handedly convinced me, I need to get back to doing that kind of riding.

Dang, if I go out on a dirt bike, that's what the day will be for me every time. :rofl:

You need to get that orange 250 running. One of these days I'm going to make it back up to red river.

You haven't lived 'til you've gotten squirrely on a moss-covered wooden bridge.

Where were you guys riding at? I'm getting back into dirt about spring time...saving my pennies for a DS.

Where were you guys riding at? I'm getting back into dirt about spring time...saving my pennies for a DS.

We were on the the multi use trails at Sam Houston National Forest.

That looks like a great day out, shame I don't still live in Texas or I would have loved to join you.. Having to go ski-ing at the weekends for the moment!! Life near the north pole is cold!! :lol2:

Gary

Gary, you missed some great riding at HF Saturday as well,

Poser, looks like a good day I was just telling Carl we need another SHNF Day soon

You need to get that orange 250 running. One of these days I'm going to make it back up to red river.

Getting it running is the first step. Then there's arranging the hauling situation, which I'm working on. Lastly is getting my dirt bike legs back under me, which weren't very skilled in the first place. :rofl:

Getting it running is the first step. Then there's arranging the hauling situation, which I'm working on. Lastly is getting my dirt bike legs back under me, which weren't very skilled in the first place. :rofl:

I'm sure the mini would pull a HF trailer and the bike.
we just need to make sure there's a camera there while you're getting your dirt legs back :rofl:

Back