• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

june 2013 marble falls pie run reports

Man, I never would have imagined 100 degrees could feel so good! Miles and miles and miles with temps -- according to the digital device on my scoot which reports ambient temperature -- of 104 to 108.
Good food, good convo and 570 miles on a motorcycle. Great way to spend a day.

Wow, the ride home was hot. The food and company was great. :thumb:

+1 to what Bill said. We had some cloud cover about half-way home, man did that cool things off :lol2: I even got couple of drops of something wet on my faceshield, is that what they call rain? Uneventful ride home, nothing wrong with that. Great company and event, worth every mile of the 571 I rode.

Anthoney and I are back in Dallas. Good food, good folks, not the greatest weather. Super hot on the way home, the bike thermometer read 109 in Temple. I didn't see less than 100 till I rolled into my driveway and it clicked to 99.

a group of us with less sense than Gary Busey decided to do some exploring and take the interesting way to Llano for after pie ice cream. one riders super ten reported 110*f. we spent a few hours soaking up the AC at stonewalls before departing in the cool 108*f evening air for the return home.
pretty serious Jihad grasshopper infestation in a 70 mile radius of Hamilton.

Some great roads this morning, the last half of which I've never been on, and some great roads I love going back to this afternoon. I went with a milkshake instead of pie in the interest of pre-cooling from the inside for the ride home.

After the Llano crew turned back, Fred and I did some non-road riding and he pointed out a new area to explore later.
<will add a pic or two here if photobucket ever decides to cooperate>

It was so tempting to ride off into those soon-to-no-longer-be pastures off of Cypress Mill Rd for a couple hours. We'll have to get back out there soon before they fill it with billion dollar homes.

Thanks for leading today Fred.

Howdy from Salida, CO RV park. It is 67 right now. High was 70 something. Yes, we found pie.

by2y7ehe.jpg

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Had a great time. Was my first pie run.
got to see some of the TX hill country i have never seen before.
Definately gonna need to get me GPS unit for the bike if im gonna be doing anymore of that middle of nowhere riding.
twisties were definately fun.

took the less scenic, more direct route home via 1431.
being able to keep it up around 70 most of the way home helped with the temp issue.
that water hose-shower behind bluebonnet cafe before riding out also helped. (well for about 15 minutes until i was dry again)
i guess its been too long since i sold my last bike and have actually ridden, cause my clutch hand was about stiff as rock by time i got home. I actually brought the truck to work instead of the bike. giving the hand a break.
a bit physically wore out, but well worth it.
I had also gone for a ride at 4am-530am..then a nap before meeting the guys at Ken's at 9am, so about 5-6hrs riding time total over the day...

but i really like tossing this SV around!!! (or was it tossing me around?)

What a great day of riding. Thanks to Leon and Rod for their excellent leading and route choices. Good news: Some of the video is actually cool! Bad news: The camera never started during the gravel section. Shame on you, GoPro- looks like you need to be punished with the battery upgrade and a bigger SD card. Route for the day- needs updated with Rod's/Red's routes between C and D.

Video playlist on YouTube- this was the most interesting one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rlVTJHZDE"]GOPR0204 - YouTube[/ame]

and

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fhSmNL1JYA"]GO010204 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Howdy from Salida, CO RV park. It is 67 right now. High was 70 something. Yes, we found pie.

by2y7ehe.jpg

This kind of camping I would do...

I don't remember that hill being that steep! LoL!
Should have postponed the run a day, it is a nice cool 90*f right now! I just mowed the yard and didn't even break a sweat!

Sent from my iPhone via the NSA using Tapatalk 2

Cheez, great videos and the screen shot of me slowly baking (wearing the yellow dayglo jacket). 109 on my Tenere in the afternoon. You're a great rider. Really impressed with you and that great big Honda cruiser flying down the gravel road. Did you bottom out much? Any one not there...to really appreciate the video you need to watch them while a space heater is blowing on your chest about two feet away...on high. I abandoned after the dirt/gravel stretch. I was hot and thirsty. Yes, a camelback is necessary in that kind of heat. I will have one next time.

Great pie run. I'll be in Sealy in a month. Leon should be wearing his Blue Bonnet pie t-shirt.

Robert

Yes, on that kind of riding, the camelbak is necessary. Anthoney and I stopped a ways on down the road in Bertram and split a bag of ice and a gallon of water to fill ours. Then we just looked at each other and I said "I'm punching the gps to take us home the most direct route" and that's what we did. :D

Spotwalla trip from yesterday.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=722b51ce573ba583d

cant cool from the outside in so you have to cool from the inside out. and at those temperatures sweat evaporates very fast and you dehydrate very quickly.
things get very bad very quickly, a steady slow flow of nice cold water works very nicely and also limits you to around 70miles at best before a stop for drain and refill is required and that gives you a chance for a short blast of AC.

hey PM Chuck!!! would this be the hottest pie run to date?? there have always been hot pie runs, but I can't remember one where it reached 109*f? :scratch:
and I am pretty sure we have not had a June run over a hundred before! the July and August runs should prove interesting

Last edited:
Guess I'll do a pie run report, never have and this was my first completely solo. Took off from the house at 7:15am know I was going the "back way" from home since I hate 281. Topped off at HEB and the bank across the street showed 75 degrees! Took HWY 16 from Helotes all the way to Fredericksburg, never have done that but will again one day, beautiful ride up and some major (15mph) twisties out of Medina.

Took 290 E out of Fred and left on Olive Street which become RR 1631. RR 1631 turns into RR 2721, there was about 2-3 miles of no shoulder road construction, but I wasn't in a hurry the whole way and took my time and enjoyed a little bit of cool left. Left on 1320, then right on 1323 to 281. Overall, really enjoyable route and very scenic, hope to do this again in the spring. I did go straight back 281 no matter how much I hate it since I hate the heat worse! Last trip probably until spring of next year so it was really nice. Had a great meal with some awesome folks too!

For you DS guys that may have never been this way, if you stay left on RR 1631, then right on FM1323, then left on Althaus-Davis Rd, its a narrow little asphalt, cattle guard crossing, turning into dirt then back to pavement rd, that will eventually get you to FM3347, left on RR962 takes you to HWY 71 on the south side of LBJ and into Marble Falls.

What a great day of riding. Thanks to Leon and Rod for their excellent leading and route choices. Good news: Some of the video is actually cool! Bad news: The camera never started during the gravel section. Shame on you, GoPro- looks like you need to be punished with the battery upgrade and a bigger SD card. Route for the day- needs updated with Rod's/Red's routes between C and D.

Video playlist on YouTube- this was the most interesting one:

GOPR0204 - YouTube

and

GO010204 - YouTube

:clap:

Had to cool down today form the heat (HOT) yesterday, So off to the lake and on to the jet-skies. Wind was up but not white capping.

Getting ready to roll with Rod from Valley Mills.

IMGP6280-L.jpg

The Pie Man and his marry men in Lampasas

IMGP6282-L.jpg

At the Blue Bonnet

IMGP6284-L.jpg

IMGP6286-L.jpg

IMGP6290-L.jpg

Back home after 434 miles, one salad, one piece of pie, 8 liters of water, and two cool vest soakings.

IMGP6293-L.jpg

Aloha had a nice hot short pie run under the ole belt. Just 141 miles for me. Survived the hottest camp out so far with a couple of brave souls. Three total ties the record for smallest group of me,Carl and Hizzo. The heat baked our rears but everybody came out smelling like old dirty gym socks.:rofl: Beemin and mikesoldvirago and I where all that camped this trip. The park was only a dollar to get in so you cannot beat that. Nice level ground for mine and mikes tent while Beemin was hanging in the trees. Saw you leaving at 5:30 but you were too fast for me. Hope your ride back home was safe and uneventful. Thanks for the ice I think that is the only thing that kept me alive! Rain off in the distance caused us to pack up camp earlier than wanted so no tent picks guys. Mike has the speed record for taking down a tent. Went to get the camera from the bike and he already had his down! Had great company as always,really enjoyed talking with you gentleman. Had a evening meal at Stonewalls just a swallows flight from camp. Was more thirsty than hungry. Nice cool place to soak up some cold air and grub. The rain was for once a blessing on the way home thru Burnet. Just picked up some rain gear from Mr2much and the jacket I bought fit the bill perfect with no leaks,thanks. Thank you for another successful pie run camp out TWT. I want to give special thanks to all that said hello and spent time to introduce them selves. Jay and Jeff nice to meet you both and exchange words. Wish I would have had more time to visit but the camp out from he double hockey sticks was calling. That had to be the hottest parking lot I ever been in and I am an old man!:giveup: Which ones are you are brave enough for the next camp? See you melted or other wise hopefully next trip. Drew

100_0447-001_zps04d32232.jpg

100_0451-001_zpsc8fb905b.jpg

100_0455-001_zps1d037779.jpg

100_0457-001_zpsdf86919a.jpg

100_0456-001_zpsbbf2e09b.jpg

100_0454-001_zps07d91e0d.jpg

100_0458-001_zpsa7bdd8fb.jpg

100_0449-001_zpsa3898f95.jpg

100_0459-001_zps12f16444.jpg

100_0463-001_zps61e9a101.jpg

100_0462-001_zps7677201c.jpg

Aloha had a nice hot short pie run under the ole belt. Just 141 miles for me. Survived the hottest camp out so far with a couple of brave souls. Three total ties the record for smallest group of me,Carl and Hizzo. The heat baked our rears but everybody came out smelling like old dirty gym socks.:rofl: Beemin and mikesoldvirago and I where all that camped this trip. The park was only a dollar to get in so you cannot beat that. Nice level ground for mine and mikes tent while Beemin was hanging in the trees. Saw you leaving at 5:30 but you were too fast for me. Hope your ride back home was safe and uneventful. Thanks for the ice I think that is the only thing that kept me alive! Rain off in the distance caused us to pack up camp earlier than wanted so no tent picks guys. Mike has the speed record for taking down a tent. Went to get the camera from the bike and he already had his down! Had great company as always,really enjoyed talking with you gentleman. Had a evening meal at Stonewalls just a swallows flight from camp. Was more thirsty than hungry. Nice cool place to soak up some cold air and grub. The rain was for once a blessing on the way home thru Burnet. Just picked up some rain gear from Mr2much and the jacket I bought fit the bill perfect with no leaks,thanks. Thank you for another successful pie run camp out TWT. I want to give special thanks to all that said hello and spent time to introduce them selves. Jay and Jeff nice to meet you both and exchange words. Wish I would have had more time to visit but the camp out from he double hockey sticks was calling. That had to be the hottest parking lot I ever been in and I am an old man!:giveup: Which ones are you are brave enough for the next camp? See you melted or other wise hopefully next trip. Drew

100_0455-001_zps1d037779.jpg

Just wanna say thanks for putting up those pics.
I was actually in one of them! Proves i made it out with all you folks. (pics or it didnt happen?) Was hoping someone had video of the ride over(from Austin)

one of these days i may actually tag along for the camping part too... as long as there isnt any crazy offroad stuff.... wouldnt wanna get the SV dirty now.. LOL:ponder: I havnt been camping in a few years, since i sold all my camping gear and moved back home to TX. Maybe this is my excuse to get back into it?

Back