• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bland Canyon Ghost Town, New Mexico

Reaction score
Getting wired at Starbucks before the ride.

HPIM0194.jpg

Ghost town locked up, crap!!!!!

HPIM0196.jpg

The prelude to ****!

HPIM0197.jpg

Very technical uphill

HPIM0199.jpg

HPIM0201.jpg

HPIM0202.jpg

HPIM0205.jpg

HPIM0207.jpg

HPIM0208.jpg

Gnarly rocky road!

HPIM0209.jpg

HPIM0210.jpg

Dumb hippies abandoned their trailer trying to traverse the same roads! I hate hippies!

HPIM0211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TwistedFate said:
Dumb hippies abandoned their trailer trying to traverse the same roads! I hate hippies!

HPIM0211.jpg
Hmmm. :ponder: Looks like it could have been abandoned by anyone.
Did you find a trail of roaches and Grateful Dead CD's leading away from it? ;-)

Used to go to this ghost town when I was little kid living in Silver city in the 60's. Mom and dad liked the old ladies there.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/mogollon.html

The only two residents at the time were the two very old ladies living in the general store.

My parents went there a few years ago, said the area outside the old town was covered with hippies trying to pan out silver.

TwistedFate said:
No, why, is it your trailer?:mrgreen:
If you knew me, you'd realize how unlikely that is. ;-)

Without any other background information I have no idea why you made the hippie comment, and it struck me as somewhat curious.

scratch said:
If you knew me, you'd realize how unlikely that is. ;-)

Without any other background information I have no idea why you made the hippie comment, and it struck me as somewhat curious.

Because the Jemez Mountain has a few hippie communes, that's why. Are you offended because I don't like hippies?

Dyna Sport said:
Used to go to this ghost town when I was little kid living in Silver city in the 60's. Mom and dad liked the old ladies there.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/mogollon.html

The only two residents at the time were the two very old ladies living in the general store.

My parents went there a few years ago, said the area outside the old town was covered with hippies trying to pan out silver.

Silver City and Mogollon are excellent places to ride as is Riley and Magdalena (Kelly Mine), both have pretty cool abandoned mines/ghost towns. The Upper Gila's are fairly challenging as well.

TwistedFate said:
Because the Jemez Mountain has a few hippie communes, that's why. Are you offended because I don't like hippies?
Nope, not at all. Your personal dislikes are none of my business. It's just that nothing about the photo you posted says "hippy" to me, and not being familiar with that area, I had no other context in which to evaluate it. Therefore, my curiosity about the situation was aroused.

Thanks for the explanation. ;-)

TwistedFate said:
Silver City and Mogollon are excellent places to ride as is Riley and Magdalena (Kelly Mine), both have pretty cool abandoned mines/ghost towns. The Upper Gila's are fairly challenging as well.

Yeah I have memories of it as a kid, but haven't been there since we moved to Texas when I was still a small one, dd used to haul us all around from city of rocks, to indian mounds, ghost towns, Gila, Arizona ranches etc.

Gonna go back and explore a bit and see if I can recognise some places someday.

I hadn't seen that ghost town until tonight when I looked up that site, but I do recognize the old general store.

Dyna Sport said:
Yeah I have memories of it as a kid, but haven't been there since we moved to Texas when I was still a small one, dd used to haul us all around from city of rocks, to indian mounds, ghost towns, Gila, Arizona ranches etc.

Gonna go back and explore a bit and see if I can recognise some places someday.

I hadn't seen that ghost town until tonight when I looked up that site, but I do recognize the old general store.

When you're ready pm me and I'll set you up with a bike and place to stay. My wife and I enjoy riding and showing folks the beautiful riding out here. Don't wait too long, all the Californians are scarfing this place up like mad.:rider:

PS- I'm from Bedford!

scratch said:
Nope, not at all. Your personal dislikes are none of my business. It's just that nothing about the photo you posted says "hippy" to me, and not being familiar with that area, I had no other context in which to evaluate it. Therefore, my curiosity about the situation was aroused.

Thanks for the explanation. ;-)

Trust me about the hippie part. Ya know, peace love drugs sex. They left Kalifornia to come here.:eek2:

Amsterdam (TM that is not an attempt to get around your filter) is for the hippies with a really good trust fund. The rest go to NM.

TwistedFate said:

HPIM0211.jpg

Maybe they got it out of there and then broke down in Sealy...

----------------------------------------------------

$1.3M Of Marijuana Found In Broken Down RV
Officers Say They Could Smell, See Marijuana

POSTED: 9:10 am CDT April 14, 2006
UPDATED: 9:43 am CDT April 14, 2006

HOUSTON -- Authorities in Austin County made the largest marijuana seizure in its history on Wednesday.

Police found more than $1.3 million worth of marijuana from a broken-down recreational vehicle on the feeder road of Interstate 10 in Sealy.

Officers said they not only smelled the marijuana in the RV, but they could also see bundles of drugs through the windows and in another car.

Three people were arrested.

---------------------------------------

I can see it now:

"Hey dude, I'm hungry"
"But duuuude, this thing isn't moving"
"Dude, we can walk over to Jack In The Box and snag some munchies"
"Ok dude, let's go"

A few hours later....

"Hey dude, where did we leave the RV?"

:mrgreen:

No doubt the authorities are really playing up the bust. Nevermind that it was pure dumb luck they even found it :lol2: :roll:

What a great word... "dude...?" It has a thousand meanings.

An RV filled with Marijuana. Reading that article all I can picture is the van from Chech and Chongs "Up in Smoke."

TwistedFate said:
When you're ready pm me and I'll set you up with a bike and place to stay. My wife and I enjoy riding and showing folks the beautiful riding out here. Don't wait too long, all the Californians are scarfing this place up like mad.:rider:

PS- I'm from Bedford!

Will do, I might spend a night at the lodge the FAA built on a mountain top around there somewhere, forget exactly which one.

They put a long range radar on the very top of the thing and my dad worked there when we lived in Silver City, they built a real nice lodge for when they got snowed in for periods. They have usually offered a stay for the night to family that's gone to visit, and the small crew of technicians up there for a couple weeks at a time seem to like visitors.

My mother stopped by a couple years ago and said they built a helipad up there now, as I guess they had some heavy enough snows that they got stuck up there a little too long for comfort a few years back.

I have a buddy that wants to ride to Tombstone, so we'll probably eventually get a trip together and ride out that way.

TwistedFate said:

PS- I'm from Bedford!

Where in NM are you? I'm currently in the Sacramento mountains near Cloudcroft.

PS - I'm from Hurst

klrno2 said:
Where in NM are you? I'm currently in the Sacramento mountains near Cloudcroft.

PS - I'm from Hurst

I'm in ABQ. I also just bought a 2003 XR650R too and am ready for some single track. If you wanna ride, give me a call.:rider:

TwistedFate said:
I'm in ABQ. I also just bought a 2003 XR650R too and am ready for some single track. If you wanna ride, give me a call.:rider:

The Lincoln National Forest is closed...what about around ABQ, any avialable off road riding?

Back