• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rich Mountain Rendezvous (9/20-22 Mena, Ark.)

jar675

Reaction score
First Name
James
5uguzatu.jpg

Great day riding the parkway and then some minor county roads in Oklahoma. The last batch of nightly riders came in around 8.00. The weather forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain with up to two to three inches in accumulation. Saturday looks great though. We are having live music on Saturday night. Hopefully, I won't be asked to sing.

RB

Sent by Tapatalk

It's great to meet ya'll and hope the rains don't spoil tomorrow, supposed to be clearing out by 6pm. But the weekend will be just beautiful. Our hostess Cynthia will have coffee ready tomorrow between 5-6 am. I'm at the Limetree inn in Mena if someone needs some shelter
Frank

I need to pass this Camping Test with flying colors.

May need the team support a few more times...

From mobile

I need to pass this Camping Test with flying colors.

May need the team support a few more times...

From mobile

You passed in flying colors.

Today was exciting in that we had an ambulance make a visit after a Twtex member stopped breathing and fainted on the shoulder of Nadeem. The patient was revived. I was not there but another Twtex performed cpr etc.

Thomas and I did our ride in the soupy mix of rain and heavy fog. I attempted a short cut back to Mena but found myself riding up to the front gate of a maximum security prison. We received the cold stare of hundreds of prisoners who would have preferred to have to have eaten us for dinner. We quickly made our way back to the main highway.

Another great day in riding paradise. Building lasting memories, one mile at a time.

RB

Sent by Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah you don't mess with boys down here! Think they need to revive the "chain gangs" of old to take away the prison workout mentality and put them to work.
Well a quick shot of lunch at the skyline cafe. More to come after I get back home on Tuesday plus now that the rain will stop I can use my phone. Ron is right you are a great bunch of folks! We have a trop to the esso gas station and Studebaker and more museum. And a trip over to Magazine Mountain for a view from the highest point in Arkansas.
Frank

Had a very good time, even with the full day of rain.
We finally saw the sun yesterday after 'numerous' weather inaccurate reports from all phones and apps available...

A82ADCEE-9BE1-4BFF-AC73-6D48E8B8C5E7-1713-0000016BCFA33753_zpse94dc437.jpg

I went on a nice ride led by Rusty, with Solorider, Red Brown, ThomasM and Robert in his Super Tenere.

We had lunch in Hot Springs. Here are some 'discussing' where to eat:

75BDF707-33FF-4CAB-915B-113D163E6B1B-1713-0000016AA856DFEB_zps245ca7a2.jpg

We went to the H. Springs National Park and rode a very curvy and steep road, but did not go up to the tower.

EB125C93-B52E-4096-B211-8AB2797EBB41-1713-0000016A8C81039C_zps4fd67109.jpg

Overall a nice Rally with a bunch of great and generous people.

Thank you Steve for posting this, I hope to be able to attend next year.

Last edited:
Well, ThomasM and I made it home just fine a couple of hours ago. Well, I made it. Last I saw him, he was heading south on loop 1 so I'm assuming he made it.

Only a little fun with cagers on the way home (some self induced by the ride leader). Saw Robert, Zephr, a couple of times on the early part of the ride home as we were both looking for gas. I'll post pics later.

I pulled into my pasture about 7:15. I managed to use minor roads most of the way. I was surprised when I saw you and Thomas pass me, you were going under the speed limit, maybe 60 to 65. I figured something was wrong. It become apparent when I saw you'll at the filling station a few miles down the road. I was happy to see it also. I really enjoyed my slow ride down 259 among the pines with a blue sky on a lonely road. Very little traffic. I was getting 70 mpg in sixth at 45 mph. The engine was just chuffing along a 2,000 rpm. Reminded me of going down the road on my old 1958 Cushman Eagle, It's little fathead mill content to do what it could. That was a half century ago. Thanks to Rusty for including me on the Saturday ride. I enjoyed it but was obviously over my head on most of the corners. Rusty slowed on the straights so I could catch up. A humbling experience but enlightening.

Last edited:
Well in my 2hr ride to my cousin Connies place in magazine I saw only 1 cop and he gave me my first ticket in over 30 years for 64 in a 55. Was originally 70 but I explained I was just at 64 coming over the top of the hill with cruise on. Still wrote me a ticket but used my gps speed at least. Really sucks being the only guy out of the hundreds I'd seen so far ATGATT and not one helmet in sight.:thumbdown::banghead::eek::confused:
Really glad to have met ya'll and thanks Ron again for turning me on to this group and can't wa it to get down there to ride and eat a mess of your fish stockpile! ;)
Frank from South St. Louis.

Well, ThomasM and I made it home just fine a couple of hours ago. Well, I made it. Last I saw him, he was heading south on loop 1 so I'm assuming he made it.

Only a little fun with cagers on the way home (some self induced by the ride leader). Saw Robert, Zephr, a couple of times on the early part of the ride home as we were both looking for gas. I'll post pics later.

Made it. Miss the AR roads already.
I will post pics later too.

TTR and I had a wonderful time - so many terrific folks in a beautiful place for a wonderful organization! Great roads, great people, great times :clap::clap::clap:

Four great days of riding and camping with friends. A special thanks to Cynthia and Steve J. our gracious hosts for all the time and expenses they put forth for this charity rally. CASA is a great program and really does need our support.

Great ride, even if we had to endure the thunderstorms on the way. Special thanks to Thumper_tx for making me not sleep in the wet sleeping bag! :)

Eric and I had a nice ride home with cool weather. I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones and already looking forward to next year.

Steve

...I was surprised when I saw you and Thomas pass me, you were going under the speed limit, maybe 60 to 65. I figured something was wrong. It become apparent when I saw you'll at the filling station a few miles down the road...

Might have a been a bit over that speed :trust: we didn't start slowing down until a bit further up the road. Glad you made it home ok.

We only saw a couple of law enforcement types. A unmarked in Palestine...where I didn't make a full stop on red making a right turn. Not sure Thomas noticed him, but I guess we slowed enough. Then another near Marquez (give or take 10 miles) coming towards us that slowed down, but ended up turning right instead of around. Good thing I had slowed down because we had just made a warp speed pass just before the bend when we saw him.

If you get to ride with ThomasM sometime, he's a good follower. Watches what is going on and anticipates what we need to do well. He even got a good view when I got passive/aggressive with a goofball that didn't realize her right lane had to turn right and decided she needed to move left with us. She decided to back off just a hair before I was going to move over. I think she still moved over on the vehicle behind us though. She did have that right, since she was in a nice car. :headbang:

I have some pictures on my ipad that show when the clouds finally lifted on Friday and we could see further than 30 yards. Then we could see almost 200 yards. :rofl:

Pretty Transalp (not mine) and the clouds in the distance:

smugshot_1831280-L.jpg

My home for the weekend. Not really roughing it too much.

smugshot_3277441-L.jpg

Saturday was awesome though.

Miscreants loitering at the scenic overlook in Hot Springs. This is in the middle of town at the top of a hill. All National Park. Fun little one way, slow speed, tight turn road up to the top.

IMG_5000-L.jpg

IMG_5002-L.jpg

Sunday morning. Clear as can be.

IMG_5003-L.jpg

Zephyr heading out.

IMG_5006-L.jpg

Here's the video of the ride up there, video of ride going up the hill in downtown Hot Springs coming up...

I had a great time even though I felt slightly guilty for coming in on Saturday with perfect weather. Enjoyed meeting some new riders and had a perfect dual sport ride with MacDaddy Steve on Sunday. Here are some pics and the route we took that went across the Ouachita Mountains and through forests in AR. Highly recommended!

ThomasM and any other I spoke with, please pm me so we can exchange info.
Thanks to all the folks that put on the rally for the good vibes and good times!

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3540.jpeg
    IMG_3540.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 88DS-Ouachita Loop from QW Lodge 9-22-13.GPX
    88DS-Ouachita Loop from QW Lodge 9-22-13.GPX
    208.6 KB · Views: 241
Riding on the third day... The ride up the hill downtown Hot Springs was lot of fun. Thanks Rusty!

What's a ride report without Solo's videos? That hill climb was one I'll remember for a long time. It was steep, had uphill tight turns, and the camber twisted back and forth. Solo, thanks for the recording it.

Some pictures taken with my cell phone. Saturday's 250 mile group ride to Hot Springs, Ar. was really enjoyable. Rusty, the ride leader for the day, charted a course over 150 miles of riding ecstasy. Our route had it all: phenomenal curves, beautiful forest scenery, and historic significance. I enjoyed the sweepers, the beautiful lush vistas, wonderful tree covered tunnels and gorgeous, clear rivers that invite the occasional wading party. The temperature in the morning was a refreshing 70 degrees but never went above 83 in the afternoon portion.

Map of Western Arkansas

20130917_135604.png

The end of the Talimena Scenic Drive

20130920_154024.jpg

Thomas on his BMW 1200GS in Eastern Oklahoma

20130920_150614.png

Saturday's TWTEX Mena Riding Group in Hot Springs.

L-R, Robert, Thomas, Moi, Nadeem, Rusty, and Camilo.

20130921_143201.png

Judgin by the looks on everyone's faces in that pic.... Ya'll had a blast up there.
Some pretty interesting scenery to be sure.

....& The wall in the background is pretty interesting too.

I had a great time. I trailered up with Wasabi on Friday and was able to get the tent set up before dark. Wasabi had a room in Mena.

By Saturday morning the weather was great and continued to stay that way all weekend.

Saturday morning camp.

017-3.jpg

018-Copy.jpg

Wasabi and I hooked up with Desmo and gtimko1012 on Saturday and we rode mostly off road in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has no shortage of rocks for sure!!! Wasabi suffered from sudden left turn sydrome a couple of times :eek2: but wound up mostly unscathed. Not so for the KLR though and his day was cut short. The three remaining found some nice, less rocky, back roads in Arkansas to finish out the day.

I met Guavadude Saturday night and we ended up riding for half a day on Sunday. Hit some more of the those Oklahoma rocks on a 20 mile ridge line before ascending into Arkansas and riding through the National Forest. What perfect riding weather Saturday and Sunday!!!

Everyone I met was great and I really enjoyed my new riding buddies.

Yeah, We don't need no stinkin' spare for the trailer, lol.

023-Copy.jpg

We got them I-30 blues.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZF-oCMv8A"]2013 Casa Rally, off-road - YouTube[/ame]

Not excatly sure why the video quality gets so much poorer by the time I get it uploaded on Youtube but it does. Believe me, there were a few rocks in there.

Back