• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blazing Saddles - a hot ride in Mexico

yes....a trip to rural Mexico is always a "Back to the Past" adventure....

But, Milton is well known in many small rural Mexico pueblos, both in the Old World and the new...but, not many of us knew that he had a previous career as an actor with Michael J Fox in a 1985 movie about a DeLorean time machine...

back-for-the-future-photos-06MiltonOtto.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Stingray Scott, John Thompson, Racer John. Vehicle Importation Permits, Anzalduas Immigration, Reynosa.
140521_002-L.jpg

Trail Boss Rich
140521_252-L.jpg

Vehicle permits in hand, ready to ride.
Mexican Immigration, Anzalduas Bridge, McAllen-Reynosa

140521_255-L.jpg

Presa Rodrigo Gómez, aka Presa "La Boca"
140521_256-L.jpg

Chipitin Falls and the road to Portero Redondo
140521_264_PS-edt-L.jpg

Some of the more extreme switchbacks have been paved. The Trinidad road.
140521_269-L.jpg

The Trinidad road, (photo from Dec 2012)
121227_013-L.jpg

Potrero Redondo never fails to satisfy

When I first rode this route about 6-7 years ago it quickly elevated to my favorite road in Mexico. Today it has a few challengers as "the best" but the road to Potrero Redondo remains a fantastic choice for the dual sport rider. As Milton noted above they have improved many of the steep switchbacks by laying down textured concrete, which makes this route significantly easier overall. At about 27 miles in length it takes about 3 hours to ride it assuming a moderate pace and stops along the way to take pics and visit with the locals. When riding the Galeana area I suggest it as one of the "must ride" roads.

Near the northern end we rode by this abandoned store.
MexTrek-30-L.jpg

Mexican Mountain Cow - yes, that is a full-sized cow on the side of a cliff.
MexTrek-31-L.jpg

Another view of the Mountain Cow
MexTrek-32-L.jpg

The further south you go, the better the riding gets
MexTrek-34-L.jpg

MexTrek-36-L.jpg

"Hey, Racer John, which way do we go?"
MexTrek-37-L.jpg

"John are you having a good time?"
MexTrek-39-L.jpg

MexTrek-40-L.jpg

Go, Milton, Go
MexTrek-43-L.jpg

The road has lots of steep sections and switchbacks.
MexTrek-50-L.jpg

A brief stop in Potrero Redondo to say hello to the locals.
MexTrek-51-L.jpg

This little guy was too shy to talk to us.
MexTrek-52-L.jpg

MexTrek-55-L.jpg

MexTrek-58-L.jpg

The final section of the road steeply climbs over the mountains, providing some of the best picture taking opportunities of the entire route.
MexTrek-60-L.jpg

Racer John seriously contemplating abandoning his life in Texas and moving to Mexico. Either that or he's just waiting on my to finish taking this picture. It could be either one...
MexTrek-61-L.jpg

Chuck having a good time
MexTrek-62-L.jpg

Potrero%20Redondo%20Mtns1-L.jpg

MexTrek-71-L.jpg

MexTrek-74-L.jpg

MexTrek-75-L.jpg

MexTrek-79-L.jpg

Once we finished the route it was time for short break by a small river west of Allende.
MexTrek-82-L.jpg

MexTrek-83-L.jpg

Unfortunately I was having battery issues with my DRZ and RacerJohn was having electrical issues with his KLR. Essentially my battery had began to die mid-ride and needed to be replaced. John's bike was probably only suffering from a loose connection that would need to be hunted down. We decided to overnight in Montemorelos as it was the closest, most likely choice for finding a replacement battery.

Once we we checked into a hotel John took his KLR apart in the parking lot and repaired the loose connection on the KLR. I was unable to locate a battery that would fit in the DRZ so it still remained an issue.

Last edited:
More pics:
Monument on hill in Montemorelos
y9uzyjab.jpg

nava7y8y.jpg

View between Rayones and Galeana
aby9y3yb.jpg

Dos Amigos
ysamedev.jpg

Open spaces
aruvapy5.jpg

Nuff said
6anesehy.jpg

Hanging with locals in Mimbres
4ubejepa.jpg

tyqaqa8a.jpg

hegyjevy.jpg

upuqu9eq.jpg

anemysev.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian your picture are making me sick...........

..................That I missed out on this wonderful ride. :clap:

Hope you and your bike are ok from the lowside.
Looking forward to your and Steve's future posts and pictures.

Lee, I am sorry you missed the ride also. It was a great experience.

I learned a lot on this trip and riding with Steve always helps me improve my riding abilities as he is a very skilled rider.

It was a great experience. I now have a better idea of which bike to bring (DRZ) and what to bring (not as much stuff as I packed for this trip). :lol2:

Last edited:
Lee, I am sorry you missed the ride also. It was a great experience.

I learned a lot on this trip and riding with Steve always helps me improve my riding abilities as he is a very skilled rider.

It was a great experience. I now have a better idea of which bike to bring (DRZ) and what to bring (not as much stuff as I packed for this trip). :lol2:

Appears that a good time was had by all. :clap:

I wish I could have gone on this one. I have been wanting to go and explore this area. By looking at the pictures, can I infer that the roads are similar to the roads of Divisadero and the rest of Copper canyon?
Thanks for posting the pictures, I am enjoying them.

I'll back up to the start now. After about 150 miles of nothing great we got to Montemorelos. From just outside of town the Mountains just go up. No gradual anything, just up and you're suddenly in them. Mexico now had mine and Brian's full attention. The road was a lot of fun with some nice narrow twisties as it lead us to Rayones. You had to be on the look out for fallen rock everywhere and if you like road patches this is the road for you. I know it was the road for us.

081-Copy.jpg

Yours truley
079-Copy.jpg

076-Copy.jpg

083-Copy.jpg

The Wee fully loaded
085-Copy.jpg

089-Copy.jpg

A brief stop in Rayones at the square for a coke and then onto our ultimate goal for the day, Galeana
093-Copy.jpg

As always, HD settings are your friend.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDeTaXq34Q"]MexTrek, Day 1 to Rayones II - YouTube[/ame]

After watching the video again I realize that the bike on fire is not Richards.
I guess JT burned up the KLX trying to keep up with the Hot Rod DRZ :eek2:

Had a Great, Great, fantastic time!!! Never get tired of Mexico. :rider: Couldn't have ridden with a better group of guy's.
keeping up with the time line are a couple of pic;s

my roomie on day one
May2014130_zps28958225.jpg

Hotel in Montemorelos checking on the bikes or?

May2014131_zpsa6de18bf.jpg

Having fun now. Rest stop near Cola de Caballo Falls.
140521_003-L.jpg

Happy happy happy.
Scott Ray, my wing man. Portero Redondo road

140521_006-L.jpg

Trinidad road
140521_012-L.jpg

Tha crew.
End of the dirt for today.
Raices, NL (near Allende)

140521_020-21m_PS-edt-L.jpg

Day 2.
Breakfast. Monte Salerno Hotel in Montemorelos.
Next time I might opt for Hotel Guidi in Linares, unless I was going to Rayones the next day.

140522_273_4_5-hdr_PS-edt-L.jpg

Tall tales always in order
140522_280-L.jpg

[B]Chilaquilas[/B]
[ATTACH=full]184752[/ATTACH]

[B]Breakfast done. Burnin' daylight. Morning Bike check. Hotel parking lot. We are stoked.[/B]
[ATTACH=full]184753[/ATTACH]

Let me say thank you to Rich, Milton, & JT for being the guides and leading the rides. Let me say thank you to Chuck, who was a big part of solving every mechanical bike challenge we had (and we had a few). And let me say thank you to Steve and Brian for joining up with us.

Here's a few pics from me:

Getting ready for some change!

DSCN0077.jpg

These pics are in chrono order on Portero Redondo. (I hope they are not too redundo).

First: The Boss:

DSCN0105.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0123.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

The hotel in Montemorelos was a little nicer than what I'm used to staying in on these Mexican adventures but I sure wasn't complaining. The plan was to stay overnight and utilize various parts stores to repair a few nagging bike issues.

John went right to work on his bike which seemed to be having an intermittent electrical issue. He ended up finding a loose connection, Richard's phone provided some much needed light.
IMG_5197-L.jpg

Richard was having a battery related issue but was unable to find a replacement in Montemorelos. He decided to fill the cells with water and ride for the day to see if it would start holding a charge.
IMG_5205-L.jpg

While back in Santiago JT had noticed his bike was leaking a small amount of oil. Digging into it he found a breather hose had split and made quick work on the repair.
IMG_5206-L.jpg

Seeing as how my trusty KTM didn't need any repairs I focused on more important issues:
IMG_5200-L.jpg

The team hit the road again, we were hoping to get back into the mountains soon but wanted to make one last stop in Linares to look for a new battery for Richards bike (just in case). We figured this would take only a few minutes and we'd get to spend the rest of the day exploring the mountains. We hopped on the hi-way and were making good time when my bike starting cutting out. It wasn't bad at first so I tried wishing it away, no luck there! A few more miles and the problem kept getting worse so I had to pull over where the bike ultimately died all together and wouldn't restart. At this point we decided to split into two teams. One team would stay and troubleshoot my KTM while the other rode into Linares in search of a battery.

On the KTM we quickly figured out it was an ignition issue, the bike wasn't getting any spark. We ended up finding the spark plug cap itself was bad. I was starting to think the trip was over for me until Chuck starting talking about the possibility of using the cap off of a car thinking that certain models might work. With a little more hope I suggested that they ride the 20 miles into Linares and see what they could find and then bring it back out to me. This is where Chuck and JT sprung into action and decided they could rig something up to get the bike to Linares under its own power. They attached a crimp-on connector to the coil wire and rounded out the other side of it to fit onto the spark plug. Even with the whole thing wrapped in electrical tape it was still arcing to ground so we added a tire patch to help insulate. The bike ran great and we were able to ride into Linares.
IMG_5211-L.jpg

At the Autozone Chuck found a cable that I could use. I "believe" it was from an older model VW. It took a little work attaching it to the coil but it fit nicely and I felt confident it would work for the rest of the trip (which it did).

With the entire group back together and the KTM running again we decided to mount up and head into the mountains. Besides, with all the repairs behind us what else could possibly go wrong??????

Last edited:
You just can't make this stuff up. I love reading posts like this.

The hotel in Montemorelos was a little nicer than what I'm used to staying in on these Mexican adventures but I sure wasn't complaining. The plan was to stay overnight and utilize various parts stores to repair a few nagging bike issues.

John went right to work on his bike which seemed to be having an intermittent electrical issue. He ended up finding a loose connection, Richard's phone provided some much needed light.
IMG_5197-L.jpg

Richard was having a battery related issue but was unable to find a replacement in Montemorelos. He decided to fill the cells with water and ride for the day to see if it would start holding a charge.
IMG_5205-L.jpg

While back in Santiago JT had noticed his bike was leaking a small amount of oil. Digging into it he found a breather hose had split and made quick work on the repair.
IMG_5206-L.jpg

Seeing as how my trusty KTM didn't need any repairs I focused on more important issues:
IMG_5200-L.jpg

The team hit the road again, we were hoping to get back into the mountains soon but wanted to make one last stop in Linares to look for a new battery for Richards bike (just in case). We figured this would take only a few minutes and we'd get to spend the rest of the day exploring the mountains. We hopped on the hi-way and were making good time when my bike starting cutting out. It wasn't bad at first so I tried wishing it away, no luck there! A few more miles and the problem kept getting worse so I had to pull over where the bike ultimately died all together and wouldn't restart. At this point we decided to split into two teams. One team would stay and troubleshoot my KTM while the other rode into Linares in search of a battery.

On the KTM we quickly figured out it was an ignition issue, the bike wasn't getting any spark. We ended up finding the spark plug cap itself was bad. I was starting to think the trip was over for me until Chuck starting talking about the possibility of using the cap off of a car thinking that certain models might work. With a little more hope I suggested that they ride the 20 miles into Linares and see what they could find and then bring it back out to me. This is where Chuck and JT sprung into action and decided they could rig something up to get the bike to Linares under its own power. They attached a crimp-on connector to the coil wire and rounded out the other side of it to fit onto the spark plug. Even with the whole thing wrapped in electrical tape it was still arcing to ground so we added a tire patch to help insulate. The bike ran great and we were able to ride into Linares.
IMG_5211-L.jpg

At the Autozone Chuck found a cable that I could use. I "believe" it was from an older model VW. It took a little work attaching it to the coil but it fit nicely and I felt confident it would work for the rest of the trip (which it did).

With the entire group back together and the KTM running again we decided to mount up and head into the mountains. Besides, with all the repairs behind us what else could possibly go wrong??????
:eek2: This is the difference between riding with JT and company and riding with Izz and company. Izz would have pulled a brand new spark plug cable, wires, new battery, etc, etc from his bag. :lol2:
I am taking notes so when it happens to me I would know what to do. :trust:

Our team, Racer John, Rich & I leave Scott and the two mechanics on the highway and ride into Linares in search for a battery that will fit into a DRZ. We come upon an AutoZone right on the highway and get directions to an Italica motorcycle shop. Which we never found! After chasing wild geese here and there, I flagged down a guy on a ATV and asked where we could find a battery. He had to check in at home but promptly led us to a shop. And there we found a battery that kinda fit.

At the counter of the motorcycle parts store. This gal was running the store by herself.
140522_290-L.jpg

You gotta love Mexico
140522_289-L.jpg

The two-way radio sputtered to life. It's JT calling. His team is in Linares and they have set up camp at the AutoZone on the highway. Rich has the tracks on his GPS. Off we go.

Upon returning from our foray into Linares we find Chuck hard at work adapting the VW plug cap and wire to the KTM coil.
Chuck is a pretty handy guy to have around.

140522_027-L.jpg

Meanwhile, Trail Boss is down for the count
140522_029_PS-edt-L.jpg

Not one to shirk on his responsibilities, however, he can still give orders and advice
140522_028-L.jpg

with all the repairs behind us what else could possibly go wrong??????

Day 2 - Trouble, trouble, and more trouble

Those following this thread know that we had multiple bike issues starting the afternoon of day 1 and continuing into day 2. John's KLR had electrical issues that he was able to solve the evening of day 1 in the hotel parking lot. My DRZ battery was giving me fits and I was hoping to find a replacement in Montemorelos. JT's DRZ was dribbling oil from somewhere on the head and he needed to find and eliminate the cause. So day 2 began with bike repairs and maintenance in the hotel parking lot.

MexTrek-84-L.jpg

With his KLR fixed, John mostly watched the action.
MexTrek-85-L.jpg

MexTrek-86-L.jpg

MexTrek-87-L.jpg

Once we determined that a battery for my DRZ could not be procured locally, we decided to ride over to Linares and continue the search. Unfortunately, Scott's KTM690 quit running a few miles down the road.
MexTrek-90-L.jpg

RacerJohn, Milton, and I left the fellows on the side of the road working on Scott's bike. In Linares I finally determined that I would not be able to get a properly sized battery for my DRZ so I bought one slightly larger and stuck it in my saddle bags just in case.

During this time the fellows completed a make-shift repair of Scott's KTM and were able to ride it to the Auto Zone in Linares...

...where we spent the rest of the day fighting bike problems.

After an hour or two Scott's bike was ready to go. With enthusiasm we all geared up, ready to ride when someone pointed out that Milton's bike was dribbling gasoline.
MexTrek-92-L.jpg

Dang it. Off came the gear, out came the tools, and for the next 4 hours we tried to get Milton's bike running.
MexTrek-93-L.jpg

Finally, about 4 or 5 pm all the bikes were running. At this point 5 of the 6 bikes had required some level of repair. Hot, tired, and disappointed with the way the day had gone, we decided to ride directly to Galeana for a cold beer or three.

We met up with Steve and Brian in Galeana.
MexTrek-95-L.jpg

Blessedly, other than JT's small fire we didn't have any other significant bike issues the remainder of the trip.

Milton doing what Milton does.
MexTrek-97-L.jpg

JT and RacerJohn
MexTrek-98-L.jpg

This little guy was having a ball riding his bike on the plaza in Galeana.
MexTrek-101-L.jpg

There's a new store on the plaza in Galeana. And it's really nice.
MexTrek-103-L.jpg

The Galeana Plaza at blue hour
MexTrek-104-L.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 - The Good Stuff

After the disappointment of yesterday we had high hopes for today. We were headed south to ride the Agua Blanca route, one of the prettiest rides in the area. The threat of a bit of rain was not enough to deter us.

The guys looking for some breakfast
MexTrek-110-L.jpg

Not breakfast. But somebody's lunch cooking on the street.
MexTrek-109-L.jpg

The rain arrived before we got out of town
MexTrek-124-L.jpg

We headed south toward Cuevas and on to Camarones. Ahhh...finally...the good stuff.

MexTrek-125-L.jpg

MexTrek-126-L.jpg

MexTrek-128-L.jpg

MexTrek-130-L.jpg

How do you fix a collapsed bridge? Simple, just add a little dirt. Yep, that'll do it.
MexTrek-131-L.jpg

After some really fun riding it was time for a short break in downtown Camarones.
MexTrek-132-L.jpg

Francisco Villa, Tienda Proprietor
MexTrek-133-L.jpg

Downtown Camarones
MexTrek-135-L.jpg

MexTrek-136-L.jpg

Back