• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ROT Rally - 2015 pictures...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Rusty posted up a possible "meet & click" event for anyone wanting to run down to the ROT Rally parade this year. Several of us were on the fence as late as a few hours before the start!

I wound up parking by the courthouse and wandering down to in front of the Paramount. This is probably my third time to watch the parade and without doubt, the number of spectators is getting smaller based on my limited attendance.

Ran into Fred and his lovely bride which was nice... Never saw daave and Rusty opted to take his driveshaft out for an inspection instead.

The parade was enjoyable for the most part seeing all the different types of bikes and people. I was amazed at how 'friendly' most were when they saw a camera pointed in their direction. The variety of bikes and costumes did not disappoint either. From a hearse to a swamp creature, and a cartoon character to just a bunch of people with character - this was a good year.

I watched the parade, then wandered down to 6th where the band stage was setup. I thought I recognized the lead singer for a heavy metal band playing and it turns out it was the local attorney David Komie, "The Attorney that Rocks". After him was Ray Benson and Asleep At The Wheel where I stayed a bit more. Ran into Milton as well.

After a bit of that, I headed East on 6th Street just taking in all that was offered. Police presence was quite large too. When I was approaching the end of the bikes on 6th, I turned around and headed back where Ray Benson was STILL playing.... It was 11:30 by the time I left for home.....

Here's a few snaps I enjoyed. The full gallery can be seen HERE

What a lovely evening for a parade...
i-BfLCwLz-XL.jpg

What's up with the big rubberband front wheels?
i-NckQM8N-XL.jpg

Don't need no stink'n big bikes to participate...
i-dgrJpMX-XL.jpg

I would really enjoy shooting a portrait of this guy in the studio...
i-3DjHLt2-XL.jpg

Lot's of this...
i-c67qSRb-XL.jpg

This couple was stopped in front of me. I thought it was Guy Ferrari. I said "Don't you just want to rub your hand on top" giving a circular motion with the flat palm of my hand....
i-gqr2d4J-XL.jpg

Well, I didn't see that one coming....
i-KH8v4n5-XL.jpg

I "think" this is a T-Rex?
i-srhfK7m-XL.jpg

...and I have zero idea what this is...
i-DBmDVPC-XL.jpg

Nice ammo cans...
i-5pL5PPz-XL.jpg

Congress Ave looking North...
i-MHbwFhP-XL.jpg

The rocking attorney
i-cwbXFsf-XL.jpg

A little Ray Benson / Asleep At The Wheel action
i-ktq2qTT-XL.jpg

No words...
i-ZQWqzrf-XL.jpg

6th Street with the Frost tower (Gotham Bank)
i-5X4npwx-XL.jpg

And speaking of Gotham Bank...
i-w24dxTF-XL.jpg

So it was time to leave and old Ray was still at it....
i-z9CwPcr-XL.jpg

....and this guy was following me up Congress. Hmmm... :ponder:
i-2RV8Jcg-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ROT Rally - 2015

the Bud mobile is a AERO3S body conversion of a Campagna T-rex.
you take them your stock T-rex ($58,000) and a check for $53,000 and they will build you a Aero3s:eek2: BUD graphics much more $$

the second three wheeler is a Polaris sling shot, TXDOT said NO!! at the last second and they were pulled from dealer show rooms till TXDOT figures out how they are going to license them.
a handful made it to customers before DOT pulled the plug or you can go across state lines to get one.

Last edited:
Nicely done.

My favorite is the Congress Ave Looking North shot, I am going to go look at your gallery now.

EDIT: The gallery gets two thumbs up in my eyes. You should be proud of yourself. :clap:

Last edited:
I really enjoyed looking through the gallery.

It has been may years since Linda and I watched the parade in person.

Nicely done.

My favorite is the Congress Ave Looking North shot, I am going to go look at your gallery now.

EDIT: The gallery gets two thumbs up in my eyes. You should be proud of yourself. :clap:

Thanks, Duke.

Interesting observation? I had my speedlight mounted on the camera and NOT A SINGLE pop was done the entire night. These and ALL the gallery shots are 100% natural light shots. And the video made my jaw drop.....

My views on "the Lifestyle" are well expressed in the video posted by one wolf.:rofl: Thanks for the pics Scott as that is as close I will ever be to that foolishness.

Sitting here with my coffee and enjoying your gallery Thanks for the help with a great morning.

Talk about Mad Max bike...springer hardtail with M38 Jeep tires:doh:bet that handles the off road stuff:trust:

The front was a Firestone 6.00x16 NDT (Non-Directional-Tire) of the tread/style from WWII and the original Jeeps. The rear was a Cooper 7.00x16 as you mention of the Korean M38 stretching into the M38A1 and then Vietnam era from their M151 series Jeeps.

Did you catch the ProTaper bars and the flanged grip on the clutch side? lol

Re: ROT Rally - 2015

the Bud mobile is a AERO3S body conversion of a Campagna T-rex.
you take them your stock T-rex ($58,000) and a check for $53,000 and they will build you a Aero3s:eek2: BUD graphics much more $$

the second three wheeler is a Polaris sling shot, TXDOT said NO!! at the last second and they were pulled from dealer show rooms till TXDOT figures out how they are going to license them.
a handful made it to customers before DOT pulled the plug or you can go across state lines to get one.

These are really cool machines. A friend of mine in Austin texted the pics of these to from 6th st where they were the night before the rally. Had no idea what they were.

I went twice to check it out, while not my lifestyle there is no denying the opportunity to people watch and educate yourself. You can't ***** about others without a firm understanding of the situation.

Every picture tells a story, thanks for sharing the gallery. Fine work as usual sir.

Is it wrong that I had to Google ROT Rally?

Thanks for the Tour de Quoi?, Scott :-D

(also - saw a Slingshot on 377 about two weeks ago and it is quite a sight to behold)

Last edited:
:tab I get a kick out of the facial expressions of many of the guys. Some are trying to look all tough and rough on their pretty bikes. Others are just relaxed and natural, like they are just having a fun time and enjoying being on a bike without trying to impress people. I have a hard time relating to the pretenders...

:tab The photos in general are great. I am amazed at how well they came out with the low light and no flash. I have a good theoretical understanding of how exposure works, but I just can't seem to get a good knack for the practical application of it, especially in low light situations.

:tab Did you do much post processing on the shots? I really like how the colors seem to pop out and are very vibrant.

Back