• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reports - Ghost Fire and Ice 2016

Reaction score
Made it back home in one piece, I35 traffic notwithstanding. Big, Huge, Mega shouts of thanks to ghostrider1964 for being an amazing host. The green chile stew was amazing.

More thanks to UlyBrad & his band of Merrie Men for hosting a fantastic class, knitting a proper hat, cooking a great breakfast AND letting me & the unwashed masses crash his 690 Enduro!

And to everyone else who helped, hung out and tore up the trails. It was a badly needed weekend event of fun and I feel like I got my money's worth since we got lots of fire & lots of ice. Hopefully I lived up to my tag line.

Last edited:
Re: Ghost's Fire and Ice Campout/IXL School, Jan 22-24

I can't wait to see M38A1 and woodbutchers airborne shots from yesterday afternoon. Awesome pics coming from you guys!

Had a great time meeting everyone from TWT at Ghost Rancho. The temps were cool, riding was fun, food was delicious and the bonfire was epic as Hotel California played as a tribute to Glen Frey. Much thanks to Ghostrider 1964 for the hospitality. Hope to see everyone at the Possum Trot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453678281.932788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a great time at the ghost rancho! Nice to meet new people, can't wait to see the pictures. Thank you Dody for being so inviting. The nickel white knuckle tour on the ranger was awesome.Kinda needed my helmet. I really enjoyed riding there, just wish there a few more rocks, lol!!! It was nice to meet Donny Stuart and Boulder Ed and ride with them. Take care everyone, be safe and looking forward to the next meet up with everyone. allways enjoy talking with mr queen and justin and jason till next time . tony d:rider::rider:

I posted below on AdvRider as well

It was very nice to meet you all. Grand folks and a great day. I chickened out to camp overnight after experiencing 25F morning but will camp when it gets a bit warmer and hopefully cook as well.

Here are a few pics I took with my phone:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 265
another:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 273
last one:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 286
What a great weekend. A BIG thank you to stoked and bored....I needed the help. The classes were fun for me!!!! I get to watch riders learn a new technique or two. I do like to cook on the cowboy wok, but we are going to need a better way to make coffee....with 1210 to 4582 riders wanting coffee at the same time it is hard to get a cup! I am going to look for a 2 to 5 gallon coffee pot. and buy coffee in burlap bags. I may call it...???? Starbucks, if that name isn't taken.

Good ride, good food, good friends....it doesn't get any better.

Thank you

Here's some iPhone images I'd like to share. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453692920.786845.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let the image culling begin! There's a few keepers in there I think. :photo:

Had a great time, thanks Brad for cooking, you were the best cook at that time lol, Dody, thanks for your hospitality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another great weekend at Ghost Ranch. Nice to see some people that I haven't seen in a while and to meet some new ones as well. Excellent food and great company to camp with. :rider:

Glad to meet some new folks, even if I had to ride in on the front seat of truck, with a new ranch attendee. I'll be glad to show up to ride sometime in the future, because that guy TD needs someone to show him a thing or two about how to ride just a little.:lol2:

Awesome weekend.

Cannot thank Dody enough.

Cannot thank Brad enough; I make more progress with each go-round, thank you, sensei.

Enjoyed meeting and talking with folks. Hope to see everyone again soon.

Andre tames his tiger. And JoToPe (I think, forgive me if I'm wrong) gets after it too.
WP_003447-XL.jpg

Would you think this scene was illuminated by a mere campfire?
WP_003449-XL.jpg

No ordinary campfire. Dody surveys his domain.
WP_003451-XL.jpg

After being circus ring master for days, Lord of the Domain snoozes with cigar in place.
WP_003454-XL.jpg

The next morning, and the ponies look like they are ready for more.
WP_003456-L.jpg

The porta-potty was a welcome addition!

Dody, you got a good thing going out there!

Got home this afternoon after a wonderful, quick Ghost Ranch/IXL school trip. As usual, Dody hosted one of the best local events in the area, and the new pavilion was a hit. I arrived Saturday afternoon and started shooting the experienced "jumpers" on the hill, then migrated to shoot some of Brads class. After that, Donnie and I decided to play into the dusk/dark for a night shot or three which was fun for both of us. Then we all were treated to a wonderful meal and bonfire.

A few random ones from the 'jumpers' as I liked to call them

What goes up....
i-KGK8sf7-XL.jpg

...must come down
i-xRDK3Mm-XL.jpg

i-xZwfCLx-XL.jpg

i-FFVKGRW-XL.jpg

i-8vsGgMH-XL.jpg

i-VfBdcB4-XL.jpg

(and come down HARD)
i-5hLDM4K-XL.jpg

A couple made me wonder just how close to the edge these jumps were to going over
i-PLGS4rQ-XL.jpg

i-cBBtCPZ-XL.jpg

Here's a few from the school:

The big pigs got to jump stuff
DSC_5721-XL.jpg

The two-smokers got to run up hills
DSC_5832-XL.jpg

Former students got to play
DSC_5923-XL.jpg

DSC_5926-XL.jpg

Some got to try new bikes
DSC_6045-XL.jpg

Some had an urge to scratch their back at the weirdest times
DSC_6088-XL.jpg

Then it was time to try some night shots. We had a good time just doing our thing to make some magic.

The sun was setting, but that didn't stop us from trying some lighting experiments
i-W6dnkw9-XL.jpg

We're getting close, but still need some more darkness
i-GTmQS4F-XL.jpg

Then it was REALLY close to getting close to what I was after (yes - I intentionally left the speedlight in the crop)
i-gqvnDw9-XL.jpg

This should be a clue as to what's to come....
i-CZp9rCg-XL.jpg

Then Donnie says "hey - you should see what's behind you". This whole time we were waiting on the full moon to come up to the East. Behind me to the West was this opportunity so we took advantage of it
i-sK9crQ8-XL.jpg

i-jdSRqRz-XL.jpg

Then Dody did his magic
DSC_6283-XL.jpg

...and the magic lasted into the night
DSC_6308-XL.jpg

The next morning, some folks packed up and departed early while others feasted on Brads cowboy wok creations. Still others decided to go ride (and ride hard...)

Donnie was moving the old clay pigeon tossing gear to make room to jump the ditch. If you've ever been to Ghost Ranch, you know that ditch that splits the gathering area? Yeah - that ditch.

But first I needed to go visit the goats I've not yet seen
i-zHHkZR2-XL.jpg

...and the piggies
i-sFPWkfJ-XL.jpg

Jacob decided to go for a spin
i-GgvK8xm-XL.jpg

Donnie decided to survey the jump first
i-2DkHQ9B-XL.jpg

A little warm up was needed on the 'small end' to see just how this was going to go
i-KmRnMLg-XL.jpg

Then it was time to do it. (actually THREE times)
Launch
i-jP6Q6dC-XL.jpg

Mid-Flight
i-2SZSDVC-XL.jpg

And stick the landing
i-PMXsqtZ-XL.jpg

After that, Jacob and I decided to create another "Mask" entry for an on-going project of mine. He was a good sport about it too!
i-5brKbdw-XL.jpg

Not much after this, I packed up my gear and made the 100mi trip home.

A grand time indeed with old friends, new friends, good food and good people.

The entire school gallery can be seen HERE and the images are available for your free personal use/non-commercial use via a download button in the lower right of each image. (PM me for the "jumpers gallery" link if you were one of the participants)

Excellent shots of Fire and Ice 2016:chug: Not sure if I will do another event before PTAR April 22-24:ponder:I will need volunteers for a couple of trail cutting workdays up there. I will try to get the event finalized soon:chug:

Thanks to all that came, I hope all had a great time:chug:

Amazing pics!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting em. It made this early-morning-day- after a great one. I wondered how long it would be before someone jumped the ditch. Way to go Donnie!

God Bless Ya'll and ride safe

@SpiritAtBay that is me on the CR in the same pic as Andre on his Tiger. No love lost for the mistake!

Back