• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Natchez in Three Days

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Hi, folks. I just got back from a 3-day ride that took me to Natchez and back, via lots of US, state, and a few county highways. There are lots of ways to get from here to Mississippi and back with minimal time spent on the interstate super-slabs.

This happens to be my first trip using my Vista cruise control, a Christmas present from my wife. It took a little getting used to, but it was a lifesaver. I’m nursing a rotator cuff problem in my right shoulder and the Vista was the difference between annoying pain and excruciating pain. The Vista, my Dan Vesel seat rest, and my Airhawk seat pad are the trifecta of touring comfort on a no-frills bike like the VStrom.

Day 1 (Wed)

I left Wednesday morning (5/4/16) at about 7:45, riding in cool temps. I wore a fleece under my riding jacket for the first 200 miles or so. I headed south on 287 to clear the DFW area. As I drew near Palestine, evidence of last week’s flooding was everywhere.
DSC_1231_zpspy6ebex5.jpg

Getting out of north Texas, the roads mostly looked like this:
DSC_1233_zpsvbbverbj.jpg

In Palestine, I picked up US 84 and followed it all the way to the suburbs of Natchez. It is mostly two-lane, nicely treed, and not heavily trafficked.
DSC_1234_zpsrdggizf9.jpg

I crossed lots of bayous.
DSC_1265_zpsyaha0656.jpg

My destination for the night was Natchez MS, a ride of about 420 miles by the roads I took. Once I was checked into my motel, I went out to explore the Misissippi river front.
DSC_1240_zpsrj3zbtdw.jpg

I got there around sunset, so was able to capture a couple of nice pix.
DSC_1236_zpsbd5obsni.jpg

DSC_1241_zps3omq0ris.jpg

The Natchez bridge is a beautiful structure. At 8/10ths of mile from end to end, it takes a while to cross.
DSC_1239_zpsyvfpzh2w.jpg

It’s even more beautiful at night.
DSC_1247_zpsrzlclctp.jpg

DSC_1249_zpsgye3i0a6.jpg

I'm afraid these two night pictures just aren't up to par; my hand isn't as steady as it once was. I should have gotten the tripod out of my pannier, but was too lazy or tired to walk the hundred yards to where the bike was parked.

Day 2 (Thu)

In the morning, I headed back toward Texas, but not by any conventional route. Once back across the river, I headed south for about 50 miles on LA 15. On the west side of the road were crops growing in the delta land.
DSC_1255_zpsbl0pxwgm.jpg

On the east side were levees and sloughs.
DSC_1258_zpsxancmcb5.jpg

This little road had some surprisingly delightful twisties in parts. Clearly too twisty for some bubba who had happened along recently.
DSC_1254_zpsjpkbtfmk.jpg

And, though not Texas quality or quantity, there were wildflowers.
DSC_1257_zps5z5oih4r.jpg

DSC_1260_zps7dhnknht.jpg

And needless to say, lots of kudzu.
DSC_1263_zpszkucx7vh.jpg

I followed LA 1 northwest to Alexandria.
DSC_1262_zpsvndanm9w.jpg

On one detour, I crossed this bayou.
DSC_1264_zps4a0dcrls.jpg

There were thousands upon thousands of birds swarming and diving. Hunting bugs, no doubt. They had yellow markings on their wings. I have no idea what they were.
DSC_1266_zpsxny08hgk.jpg

I continued running northwest, hopping on & off LA 1 as I went.
DSC_1268_zpsfde1ff7w.jpg

There’s one thing that all Louisiana non-interstate roads seem to have in common. Apparently, when President Reagan abolished the national 55 mph speed limit back in 1986, Thibodaux and Boudreau never got the memo. With rare exceptions, all speed signs looked like this.
DSC_1269_zpshaphk2ew.jpg

Running west on LA 28, I went through Leesville, home of Fort Polk. Or as my generation of Army grunts called it, “Little Vietnam.” Then after a jog northwest, I picked up LA 6, and crossed back into Texas over the Toledo Bend Reservoir. Even after a short trip, this is always a welcome sight.
DSC_1270_zpsdv9sgw72.jpg

That is one big, beautiful lake, and those are some long bridges over it.
DSC_1274_zps1zepxkh5.jpg

DSC_1273_zpsvz0uidnq.jpg

Partly in Louisiana, partly in Texas, about an hour of today’s run was along the historic El Camino Real, also called the San Antonio Road. Dating back to around 1690, the road was walked and ridden by Spanish explorers, treasure hunters, and later on settlers on their way to becoming Texians, and even a few heroes of the Alamo.
DSC_1271_zps4eug2jw9.jpg

I followed TX 21 all the way in to Nacogdoches. By the way, I heartily recommend this stretch of road for its beauty, curvaceous riding, and historic interest. The run was just over 300 miles, but took a little over 6 hours. I was in no hurry, stopped frequently, and often poked along under the speed limit.

I spent the night in the best Motel 6 I’ve ever seen. Holiday Inn quality, but for only $45 for the night.
DSC_1277_zpsy4mckd9l.jpg

DSC_1275_zpstm3panly.jpg

Day 3 (Fri)

After a really good night’s sleep, I left for home at 7:45, riding in temps of low 60s. Once out of Nacogdoches “traffic” (ha, they call this traffic?), I rode a pleasant assortment of tree-lined, two-lane boulevards, working gradually northwest.
DSC_1278_zpsmp5hdmmr.jpg

Eventually the trees gave way to the more open north Texas meadowlands, and the two-lane eventually became US 175 and a fast-moving four-lane, finally merging into the mosh pit known as I-20 through Dallas. One gas stop, and I was home in 201 miles and 3 ½ hours riding.

Total distance ridden: 965 miles.
Total interstate ridden: 46 miles.
Deer dodged: 1 whitetail, but not particularly close.
Dogs dodged: 1 yellow lab who ran across in front of me, panicked, and ran right back. Thankfully, I was ready for him.
Ducks dodged: 1 mother and 5 ducklings, who suddenly reversed course mid-lane. I carved a very narrow path between Mom & the kids.

Average gas mileage: 52.8 mpg.
High/low gas mileage: 56.5 mpg / 49.0 mpg

Good to be home. And I discovered a lot of two-lane blacktop roads that absolutely need to be ridden again. Hmm…

Nice ride. 21 around Nac sounds like it has not changed much since I went to school there. 287 to escape Dallas was probably a good idea and I was wondering how you were going to route it given the time of day.

Open roads. You can't ask for much more.

Mike, the 80 miles along TX 21 and its Louisiana counterpart were the best part of a ride that was already good nearly every inch of the way. I'd like to get back that way sometime, maybe explore the town itself next time, and drive more of the Camino Real.

I would offer to tag along but I just can't do those kind of miles. We rode Wednesday down 175 to Crandall and zig zagged for a total of 150+ miles. Ended up at Cedar Creek Lake. My back and backside were already done by the time I got home.

I feel your pain. Literally, I feel your pain. My back rest and Airhawk cushion make a huge comfort difference. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time getting in more than 4 hours saddle time in a day.

I lived in Vidalia, LA (right across the bridge from Natchez) from the age of 4 to 13. Was a great place to grow up back in the mid '60s to early '70s. There used to be a big paper mill in Natchez and anytime you tried to cross that bridge back then, you'd end up stuck behind and old pulp wood truck, praying he wouldn't loose his load. If you are ever back over that way, the levee road both north and south from the road across the river would provide some excellent picture opportunities.

Thanks for the pictures and trip report. Excellent. I roam those same roads a few times though the year and love them. Sometimes on the KLR, sometimes on the Bandit.

Good job Tim, thanks for the pics and ride report.

Always enjoy your reports Tim. I've never ventured farther east than the area around Edom so this was interesting.

We should do a trip together one of these days, Sean. East, west, camping, moteling, it's all about the riding & good company.

Nice report. Beth and I did a very similar trip a couple of years ago in the fall. It was a lot of fun. I think I stayed in that motel six and I have several pictures of the bridge as well. Thanks for the write up.

Last edited:
Nice report Tim. Haven't been up that way in awhile. Great score on the Holiday inn and sweet pics overall! :)

skip hunt + austin, texas + skiphuntphoto.com

We should do a trip together one of these days, Sean. East, west, camping, moteling, it's all about the riding & good company.

That would be good. I still need to make good on a lunch or slice of pie for those riding pants you gave me.

I would offer to tag along but I just can't do those kind of miles. We rode Wednesday down 175 to Crandall and zig zagged for a total of 150+ miles. Ended up at Cedar Creek Lake. My back and backside were already done by the time I got home.

Another comment, Mike - I'm assuming you did this trip on your venerable SL350; would that be right? One thing about vintage bikes is that they have vintage seats. If I were still riding my old Honda CB650, there's not a chance in the world I could cover 400 miles a day - not sitting on that plank they called a seat back then.

Yes, I use the SL350 on these day rides. At 60 it is vibrating a shaking and sometimes I can barely hold the lane from crosswinds. But it is fun and I spend a lot of time on dirt roads.

Mike, the 80 miles along TX 21 and its Louisiana counterpart were the best part of a ride that was already good nearly every inch of the way. I'd like to get back that way sometime, maybe explore the town itself next time, and drive more of the Camino Real.

Great ride report!

The wife and I did TX 21 from Crockett to Nacogdoches in Sept of 2015.
Stopped at Mission Tejas State Park which lets you hike the "real" Camino Real or at least what the park rangers think it is. Would love to go to Natchez.

Great ride report. Thanks for posting this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back