• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 Texas Adventure Ride

The only issue I have is why did none who passed him stop to check on and continue the ride with him? I have been reluctant to go on some of the rides because I don't personally know anybody. I tend to only ride with the one buddy I have because we always stay within 20-30 yards of each other. He also know my habits and would know that if he doesn't see me and I haven't communicated, something is wrong. When that same buddy fell after some sand in Sam Houston forest it only took me about 30 secs to realize something was wrong and go back to find him. He was bruised but ok. I know Stephen through conversation and hopefully soon we can become ride partners.

I am thinking a track that long and remote, we need to setup a buddy system, or checkpoints, that way if someone gets lost we can find them.

FYI: We do have system and I covered it in detail at the riders meeting on Saturday morning. If the system is followed, then no one gets left behind.

Unfortunately, not everyone attended the riders meeting on Saturday. Also, not everyone in every group follows my instructions. And, sometimes, even when following the system, things can happen, such as a mix up when one group passes another and the two groups get mingled together. The good news is that losing a rider is a rare occurrence - in the past 12 years I can think of only one other occasion where it has happened to a group I was leading.

Last edited:
Like my at. And it has it’s uses. But the drz is way more fun for this type of ride. I had a blast. Great job rich and Jt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In years past, TAR has been scheduled mid-Spring (usually April) on a non-holiday weekend. However, for this year we decided to schedule it over a holiday weekend (Memorial Day). It would potentially save a vacation day for many riders and since Memorial Day isn't typically a big family travel holiday we thought the timing would be okay.

73 riders signed up for TAR and 67 attended. Interestingly, while there are always some riders who register late this year we had a whopping 31 late registrations. 31 is 42% of 73. I've never had even close to this many late registrations. The challenge with so many late registrations is not having enough swag for them when they arrive. And everybody wants swag.

The swag this year was a commemorative baseball cap, a commemorative drinking glass, and a commemorative sticker. All riders who registered prior to the May 1 deadline and attended the rally received the swag. As always, I ordered some extra swag items and gave them out on a first registered - first served basis to the late registrars. But I ran out quickly and so a bunch of the late registrees walked away from check-in disappointed. It's a tough situation. Extra swag has to be paid for and if I order too much it gets really expensive. I organize rallies as my way of contributing to the adventure community and, as such, am not attempting to make a profit from the rally. At the same time I don't want the rally to cost me a bunch of money and to end up with a pile of extra swag sitting in my garage. Nor do I want to disappoint those who, for whatever reasons, weren't able to make the registration deadline. I guess the best I can do is ask for the understanding of those who registered late and didn't get any goodies.

I planned routes for both Saturday and Sunday. While every riding group is welcome to come up with their own route, most opted to run the pre-planned routes. Here's what Saturday's route looked like.

Starting in Junction, we rode west on pavement until heading south toward the first dirt of the day on the superb Old Junction Road. The path west consisted of small county roads with a number of very slick low water crossings. As much as I emphasize the incredible slickness of these crossings, invariably riders will go down on them. Some multiple times. The crossings claimed a lot of victims on Saturday but I think only one notable injury occurred due to one of these crossings. As always, I got lots of water crossing photos.

This couple was riding two up, increasing the difficulty level of the slick crossing. Neither suffered any major injuries that I know of.

Lined up and waiting for their turn.

It's rare to have even one couple riding two up on my rides. Today we had two couples riding two up. She (Janice) was wearing jeans and tennis shoes that got soaked early on. His cowboy boots and jeans didn't fare much better. But they were troopers and soldiered on for most of the day.

How do we feel about low water crossings in the hill country? Really, really good. :)

Last edited:
The swag issue is a big deal. The same applies for banquets. The simple reality is that if people don't sign up by the deadline, I don't think they have any reason to complain or be disappointed if they don't get something. It is impossible to setup an event without some idea of a firm number of attendees at least a few weeks before the event date. People NEED to understand this. It is the same for most events and even big rallies.

I TOTALLY understand that there are times where it just isn't possible to commit to an event until the last moment. I have one of those jobs that makes it exceptionally hard to commit to anything more than a week or so out. As such, I understand that I might not get all the bells and whistles early registration entails.

I commend Richard and the other TAR event organizers for doing these events for so many years. It is easy to get frustrated and walk away. Also, thanks to those riders that continue to come to the events to have fun, meet other riders, and stretch their limits.

The swag issue is a big deal. The same applies for banquets. The simple reality is that if people don't sign up by the deadline, I don't think they have any reason to complain or be disappointed if they don't get something. It is impossible to setup an event without some idea of a firm number of attendees at least a few weeks before the event date. People NEED to understand this. It is the same for most events and even big rallies.

I TOTALLY understand that there are times where it just isn't possible to commit to an event until the last moment. I have one of those jobs that makes it exceptionally hard to commit to anything more than a week or so out. As such, I understand that I might not get all the bells and whistles early registration entails.

I commend Richard and the other TAR event organizers for doing these events for so many years. It is easy to get frustrated and walk away. Also, thanks to those riders that continue to come to the events to have fun, meet other riders, and stretch their limits.

I show up for the experience and excitement. And to enjoy the sport with fellow riders. I appreciate all the hard work that the organizers do for these events and I hope everyone else does too.

If anyone who didn't get swag and wants it, I'm happy to pass mine along. I like the cap and the glass and luckily I haven't applied the sticker to anything yet. Claim it soon!

Richard and JT

Great job and thanks for your work! Enjoyed the heck out of it. We had a solid, fun group of dudes to ride with both days. I was reminded how beautiful and rugged that part of the state is. Hope to make it next year as well.

What a great weekend!! I made many new friends, thoroughly enjoyed the weather and the routes and had lots of laughs! And I learned a thing or two about being a better ride lead. Here are a few pics from our group of 9.
4c89e399fa5ac774c48f8317079d3735.jpg
569ac088788e73df4b5f0d6383ebdb09.jpg
2c312e1c6321b573edd59e20194dbf81.jpg
effaa80c69131851af179e29144835fb.jpg
b9bc5402584daeee3239700b84771a13.jpg
9330e1a235769e7249032294da543660.jpg
327c6027c7fb2f056ae1cb0d1877d01a.jpg
7c83030bd0bc5ec375b7970d0e9fe871.jpg

"I never saw the group again after that. A bunch of riders behind me speeded past me"
X2
X3

X4

This isn't how TWT rides normally go. Don't be discouraged from joining in with future events.

Last edited:

I could only ride on Saturday and had a great time riding with Ed, Tim and Terry. The Llano route looks like fun, so I will have to ride that too in the future.

Thank you Richard and JT and all other helpers for making this weekend ride happen.

RG is right. I hope you’ll take another chance and ride with us again.

I hope the riders who passed you maybe just didn’t SEE you? So glad one rider did stop but don’t understand why y’all didn’t stay together after getting your bike rideable.

This is an unusual break down of TWT practice.

I hope you are following the thread and will ride with TWT again.

Sorry I couldn’t join this ride, sounds like it was a blast.

That sucks that you were left behind. It’s good to know it was a misunderstanding at least.

I also own a little Versys and have bent the shifter multiple times. I’ve been able to bend it back my stomping my foot on it. I’m curious to know the shape of yours. The brake pedal is trickier, always try to fall on the left side 😁.
What I did after I got lost was I cut over to the highway and went to Llano figuring everyone was going to show up there. I stayed in Llano for about an hour at the DQ next to Coopers BBQ but I never saw but one dual sport bike ride through and didn't stop. There was a group of big cruisers show up but that was it. I then went straight from Llano to Mason and then onto Grit and back to Junction. I will make it a point to get many cell numbers in the future so when I do get cell service I can call people. I ordered a mobile amplifier today.

I bent the original factory shifter in the Jacksboro ride so bad that I had purchased an aftermarket IMS shifter which is spring loaded for the TAR ride. it bends backwards if you fall on it and it did work. it worked so well that it almost ripped off the rubber covering on the foot pegs because the peg was being dragged backwards at that point. What it did bend on the base of the IMS shifter at the knuckle where it connects to the motor. I used channel locks and locking pliers and that one rider who stopped we muscled it back. I recommend that shifter. It probably saved my gearbox. I also ordered Givi rollbars. The factory Kawasaki are junk. They bent on that side again so I am done with those.

I will certainly be better prepared next time. Also whomever said to carry a big pair of channel locks was spot on.

hmmm.....I better get some soft pannier bags before doing this one! I can only imagine what my hard cases would look like after trying that water crossing! Scenery looks amazing though. Jealous!!

Reactions: my6
When I wiped out on that pee gravel on a turn and bent my shifter, no one saw it and I never saw the group again after that. A bunch of riders behind me speeded past me and one guy did stop and help and a farmer and I was able to bend the shifter back good enough. I went ahead and road the rest of the track to LLano by myself, and then did the 80 miles back on the highway and never saw another rider after the last guy that helped, so I will be making contingency plans for the future in case I lose the group.

The problem with continuing the track with no one else riding, is I can't take the chance of wrecking worse being fairly new at this. I am thinking a track that long and remote, we need to setup a buddy system, or checkpoints, that way if someone gets lost we can find them. You never know, you could break a leg out there and be stuck out there for days like that guy that had to cut his arm off in that movie because there was no plan for checking in with people. The GPX file was spot on, and thats what I relied on after losing the group. I will be posting videos soon. I GoPro'd some of it and I think I got the wreck also.

This why, on my BBNP Friday ride I follow the group not lead, I'm not worried about the guys sprinting off the front but no one gets left behind!

Upon completion of the low water crossings, we turned south toward our first real dirt of the day - Old Junction Road. For those who haven't ridden it before, Old Junction Road, AKA County Road 900, is a 24 mile long dirt road with its northern end in Sutton County and its southern end in Edwards County. The northern end is quite remote, has a bunch of bump gates and is a joy to ride. My Uncle and I discovered it more than a dozen years ago and it has never disappointed in all the times I've ridden it since then.

You aren't truly a full-fledged, card carrying Texas Adventure Rider until a) you've personally bumped open a bump gate with your motorcycle and b) have ridden your motorcycle across the mighty James River crossing. While we skipped the James River crossing during TAR, lots of riders successfully graduated Bump Gate University over the weekend. And, yes, some got knocked over while learning the subtleties of bumping a bump gate.

My favorite dirt roads have grass growing in the middle. It means the road is rarely used by other vehicles and is likely not well maintained. In other words, just the kind of dirt roads we like to ride.

Time for a break.

Once back on pavement, we rode 7 miles south to Rocksprings, arriving about 11:15 am. We had about two hours of remote dirt riding ahead of us and before our next planned stop in Camp Wood so I figured it made sense to have an early lunch in Rocksprings. Several other groups had the same idea and the two little restaurants on the main drag in Rocksprings aren't really staffed for 20 people to show up at once. It took longer to get our food than was ideal, but the food was good, the air conditioning was working and the visiting was fun, so we didn't complain. Much.

This sign was displayed behind the cash register, and while it clearly refers to riding horses, I thought the philosophy was applicable to adventure riding too.

Back