• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Snowpack 19

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Rockies are alive and well. Still plenty of snow in the high country... even down south.

Looking good. Keep us posted on your travels.

Looks refreshing as we sit here in TX dreaming of the day we can feel the cool crisp air again. September 22nd can't get here quick enough.

Where are these pics from?

Back on the road/trail! Excellent . Its melting very fast. I was there last month. I could see a difference when riding the same trail a few days later. Snow on monday, dirt on Wednesday. Careful with river crossings, they are running high.

My pastor just returned from spending a few weeks in Lake City with his family. He was showing me pics of damage from numerous avalanches in the area. Between the pine beetles in recent years and the crazy number of avalanches this winter, the trees have been taking a real beating!

Mike, these are from the nearest riding to Texas that I've run across...near Monte Vista, Colorado. I need a crew up here to help me thrash out this area. Way more than I can do alone.

Vinny, just about anywhere there's an area that a snow slide could happen... looks like it did. Rivers haven't been an issue... so far.

Still exploring... more later.

Last edited:
Mike, these are from the nearest riding to Texas that I've run across...near Monte Vista, Colorado. I need a crew up here to help me thrash out this area. Way more than I can do alone.

Vinny, just about anywhere there's an area that a snow slide could happen... looks like it did. Rivers haven't been an issue... so far.

Still exploring... more later.
Thanks for sharing RG.....🌞

No? Ok... it's a long way off and there's a dirty old motorcycle in the way. Let's get a look at it from the regular angle that most folks see.

RG is that the single track you, me and I can’t remember the name of the guys son we rode with outside of Ouray? It was crazy fun but hard down in what looked like a peaceful trail through the grass, but was something else entirely?

Not yet? I know... it's a pretty small trail that's hard to see. I don't think it gets a whole lot of use. We can understand that.

Let's zoom in a little closer...

Nice little mellow Snoopy trail as brother Dao might say. Gently following above a clear mountain stream.

Yeah right! :eek2:

Here it is...* rode the 1190 down a little ways to get this pic.

Last edited:
* Trust me when I say this is as close to the Alpine trail as the 1190 will ever get with me on it.

That must be the trail we did last year where I crashed 10 feet into the trail. It was fun but not big bike friendly at all !!!

Me and a couple of other chaps rode this thing a few years ago on sure nuff dirt bikes. Physically punishing to the point of exhaustion. It has a jillion switchbacks that tolerate zero mistakes. Just thought I'd ride out and see it again.

* Disclaimer... If you plan on tackling this one, for goodness sake thoroughly research what you're getting into beforehand. Much of it is inaccessible by anything but horseback, helicopter or motorcycle.

Mike, that was a great ride you, Mason and I did but this beast is on the extreme end of the scale...and several mountains away to the east.

You mean it is even harder :( Ok, I have started to exercise a little bit and am have the suspension of the mighty Husky refreshed, so the only excuses of why I can't ride it with you would be my personal and physical inadequacies :(

By the way, I keep pondering a 1090... You make your 1190 look so darn good, but its more rider than bike, so I keep going back to just keeping the AT

I found this youtube of a guy solo on a loaded Ktm 500.

I only watched the first 2 minutes. Looks like he should have company or try a different trail.

Alrighty! Let's move this story on up the mountain.

Crestone, as you may recall, is an unusual little part of colorful Colorado. Formed with the Baca Grande land grant, it has it's roots and heritage in alternative lifestyles from the beginning. A free spirited part of what we'll call the schizophrenic topographic regions of the mountains.

Enduring metaphysical artistry abounds.
1564700067965.jpg

Municipal gardening projects tended with care.
1564698839957.jpg

Environmental awareness and stewardship.
1564699994616.jpg

But, let's move on over to the great San Juans of Hinsdale county and ride motorcycles.
1565443195386.jpg

A little chilly in the AM each morning.

A quick run up to the old ghost town of Carson just south of Lake City.
1565478116992.jpg
1565478381448.jpg
IMG_20190810_170628411.jpg

And then on up to the top. Snow up high calls for some creative maneuvering.

1565477677477.jpg

Rather handsome with all the snow this season.
IMG_20190810_164702038.jpg

Still so much snow melt and runoff going on.
1565479100848.jpg

With all the rain comes some spectacular wildflowers this year at altitude.
1565477928888.jpg

A "micro burst" a week or so ago caused Cinnamon Pass to close due to mudslide damage to the shelf road going down toward Animas Forks. This threw a wrench into riding plans for folks doing the Alpine Loop. As of today (8/11) the pass is reopened and a path has been made through the remaining 20 feet snow bank at the forks.

To be continued...

RG, I am sitting at my work desk preping for some classes I have to teach soon and it feels like 105 outside already. Then you show us temps like that, it hurts buddy! :)

Great ride report and amazing pictures. Did you offer to help pull weeds from the city garden ?

Keep it coming and stay safe ! Dreaming of loading up and playing hooking for a week with you!

Looks good Vinny. The "road" up is a little rough now with so much rain lately. Going on up to the trail intersection still takes dodging some snow. Heading over Cinnamon to Silverton for ice cream today.

Back