• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle and Nephew Ride the Cousins on NMBDR

KsTeveM

Say When
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pylant
My nephew, KTMCarhart, and I are a couple weeks away from leaving for a modified New Mexico BDR on the cousins, a 701 and a 690. Thought I would start the ride report and update as things progress.

The planning……We are trucking from Austin TX area to Albuquerque NM, then riding bikes out of town through Cibola NF eventually catching the Shadow of the Rockies into Capitan, then into Nogal Canyon north of Ruidoso to catch the BDR. This is skipping the first day of the normal BDR route as we have been there done that in Cloudcroft and did not want to endure the slab to Dell City. The other route modification is at the end after Antonito CO, routing back through the forest heading south eventually hitting 31 Mile Rd and Gillman tunnel trying to catch more dirt as we skirt back into east Albuquerque through the Sandia Wilderness Area/Cibola NF. If anybody knows some cool stuff in the area to route through, please let me know, I was just winging it based on a little bit of research. We wanted to capture the essence of the NMBDR but also try to minimize the slab riding at the beginning and end. We are camping all but one night, looking at 250 to 300 mile days, total is right at 1400 miles on the bikes. If all goes well, we might buzz over to Red River/Angel Fire as i know my way around over there and have some offroad peeps that live there.

1569254667990.png

That part of the planning out of the way, we are deep into the prepping of the bikes and gear. Started off planning this for the small bikes, otherwise known as the only bikes we had--newphew's XCF 450 and my XCW 500. We are typically forced to be somewhat minimalist when these bikes transform from our trail rigs into little adv bikes. In the background I had been day dreaming about 990, 1090, AT, 790, baby tenere etc. and then my nephew stumbled into a good deal on a 690. I continued to plan the trip for the 500 and 690 but still kept up my circular research for a big bike unicorn that suited my needs. Yes my 500 can do it and has done it, but I really wanted a big bike dedicated to ADV and keep my 500 dedicated to the skinny trail bike…and quit changing my oil every 15 minutes. Loosely was keeping my eye on the leftover 1090s that were popping up for a little over 10K as well as dreaming about one of the new small twins hitting the market. Had a good conversation with Trail Boss about bikes and where i tend to lean, then my search/brain was a little more broad, happen to stumble onto a couple year old babied 701 on original tires, never offroad, racks, bags, fairing, extra tank….coming out at less than half price of a new twin built out, that did it—bought it—saved some money and a hundred pounds, or two. It has two spark plugs, getting closer? Also made the nephew happy, he wasn’t going to have to spend big bucks on a 1090 or something along those lines. JMZ can't understand why i don't gravitate to a Super Tenere, not everyone can be as smart as him.....and also not ride anything hard. I don't ride to pie shops with ol silver hair bullet, i will when i get older and get a twin :-).

So here we are, Uncle and Nephew Riding the Cousins, some might even say hot cousins. Years past I just wanted to ride the gnarly stuff and just could not understand the KLRs. Now I have more gray than brown and realize my KLR happens to be a 701. It was our long term plan all along to have similar bikes for these types of trips to make spares and know-how easier along with riding styles the same. We will see how the little adv bike works out long term. The Cousins—we have them built out pretty similar: both have pannier racks, Wolfman expedition bags, Wolfman tail bags, 1.5 aux gas tanks under the seat. The 690, also known as the Kraken, has a 1 gallon rotopax and I have two MSR bottles for the 701. So with the approximate 5 gallons in tanks and spare gas, our range is pretty good. I moved over Warp 9 big pegs and FaastWay Flex bars from my 500, I have really enjoyed those mods for adv stuff. Tires—I have played around with the 500 over the years trying to deviate from the tried and true MT21/606 setup to find the holy grail but normally come back to the realization it is hard to beat it for a DOT in all-around performance in multi terrain types in Texas, Arkansas, New Mexico etc. But….Tusk just came out with their own D Sport Adventure tires and they seem worth a try. So we’ll see how it goes, 690 has fresh MT21/606 and my 701 has the new Tusk tires, will be a good test on a BDR. Spares, we have the normal stuff, front/rear tubes, patches, air pump, tools, master link, fuel pump, fuel filters, air filters, jb weld, zip ties, wire, spark plugs, camping crap. Clothes, I am going light and will do the bath tub stomp halfway on the trip. Pics of the Bikes as we prep them, 2010 690 getting some mods and maintenance, 2017 701 mostly maintenance and double checking. More to come.

1569254705551.png

1569254715024.png

Last edited:
How many Steve's went on this trip ?
I mean , how many Steve's usually go on your trips ?

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. Interested to hear your thoughts on the 690/701 after spending time with your 500.

Hey JMZ, you are right, when we do a roll call at the off road trail head, there is usually a couple hard charging Steve's there, but when we say "John Mark", we get a 0.0 :-P.
Hey there Gary....will definitely know more after some good BDR miles. I already put a little over 1000 miles on the 701 playing around the Nueces, Bull Head Creek and the Mason goodies. I've got 7000 miles on the 500 and feel more like i am one with it vs. feeling like i am riding on top of the 701, regarding dirt/gravel travel. Some of that is just familiarity and some is getting the 701 set up for me. And getting my head right, can't expect the 701 to feel or do 500 work, that is the entire reason i have both. Tires is a biggie that should be remedied for this trip (never comfortable with the TKC80 offroad cornering, just wanted to wear them out first) and i really need to spend some money on suspension....just ran out of $$ to 'waste' for now. I will say that on my first ride on the 701, we were cruising pavement at about 60 and I was commenting how smooth it was, nephew said open it up, I hit 70 and kept climbing....out loud said WOW in the comms. The 500 can do all of it, but at 70 or 80 on the pavement WOW is not something that comes to mind and definitely not at any length of time. The KLR 701 weight helps on the pavement compared to my 500 at speed. Post #5 Mr Synthlegend....i really want a full on rally tower, but the bike came with the baby tower from Lynx. I can't justify writing off $800 worth of tower to spend significant more dollars on a legit rally fairing. There is the want vs. the need, I ain't no Lyndon Poskitt, but i will take donations, ha ha. My tower does have upgraded LED lighting and is great at night, GPS mount/location is sweet and i cut part of the windshield down last night....i find it best when the windshield is same height as the fairing, less dirty air on my helmet when sitting. If rain, cold or grasshopper's revenge gets crazy, i will go slower with the windshield raised. As of yesterday afternoon, this is how she is shaping up, close to your pic.
1569266157867.png
:rider:

Looks good, got the aftermarket seat too. You should write this up and pitch it to adv pulse or like site for some of those donations you were talking about when it's all said and done. Your write up skills are good.

Looks good, got the aftermarket seat too. You should write this up and pitch it to adv pulse or like site for some of those donations you were talking about when it's all said and done. Your write up skills are good.
That sounds like a good idea! I'd be curious to see how they respond. I'd really like to know how your trip turns out.

Thanks Brian. First ride report, new territory for me....but I know what I appreciate when lurking. We hope to have a good trip and share with the community, family, friends and JMZ. We will post as we go, service allowing. For now, we are in launch preparations. Starting to affect sleep patterns 🧐.

Technology. I hate dealing with cables, mounts, attachments, cameras, SD cards, batteries, GPS, cell phones…..feels counterintuitive to the freedom of riding. Well, introduce ADV riding a couple hundred miles a day for multiple days on land you have never seen before, helps to be tethered to the tech. Navigation for this trip is not too bad since we are following the BDR for 80% of the route. GPS files, I deleted all of the alternate easy routes, turned the routes into tracks, combined multiple sections, made my own tracks for the beginning/end. I pretty much won’t go anywhere without my Sena Comms on, listening to music or talking with KTMCarhart about the best line, it adds to the ride experience for sure. Luckily KTMCarhart is 10 plus years younger than me and gets into the gadgetry almost as much as the ride, some folks call him a big nerd but I don’t think that is very nice. Nerd Boy just procured a cheapy drone (Contixo F22) and is also the Go Pro mule (Hero 6 I think). He is taking a small laptop/external drive and will be downloading video every couple of days to free up SD cards while I tend to fires and other manly matters. He will hopefully post with small videos as we go along, with a post ride highlights reel after we get back home. Still shots, we are just using our Iphones, which aren’t too shabby these days. I want something better, but it would take away from bike hard parts…..next time. As the senior crash test dummy, KTMCarhart has a SPOT. We both have GPS mounts that charge while riding, 2 USBs for charging other stuff while riding and at night we will charge the Senas off an external battery. Last tech thought, we both will have the tracks loaded on Montana 610s, have them loaded on the laptop and a spare 610 loaded. We went on a trip several years ago when both of our 610s lost their marbles, we had to revert to looking for wagon tracks. Another trip KTMCarhart went down in a creek crossing followed up with another rider following too close that took out the 610 with a foot peg. The ADV experience is enhanced and maximized with all the technology from the gadgets and the space shuttle dirt bikes, as long as it all works. If it all fails, we have a paper map and we will hit CL in Albuquerque for a Lloyd & Harry special. Just go man!
1569500382225.jpeg

Looking good. I share the same love hate relationship with tech. The GPS i get along with fairly well, but the rest of it generally frustrates me. I would like to use a GoPro for still pics, but not sure how well they work for this. The last rip I used my Iphone some but having to remove the gloves was inconvenient, so i used my little Point & Shoot on a lanyard around my neck more. I know i don't have the patience to edit video so for me it is still shots only.

Agree with you all the way around. KTMCarhart doesn't get frustrated, he enjoys it. He is getting better with the editing. He has been playing with getting stills from the video as well, here is one from several weeks ago. Probably the best of both worlds, but i don't want to sift through hours of video when you just want to post a quick pic or text one. Post processing kind of stinks and is kinda cool at the same time.
1569502453849.png

We are getting closer, there was a cousin reunion so the bikes could get final touches/checks and we compared our packing so we could possibly minimize duplicates. I expected the weight numbers to add up for a trip like this but was still surprised at the heft. Left/right bags are 19 lbs. each (tools, spares, water, gas bottles, food, chair, cot), tail bag happened to be 19 lbs. (tent, sleeping bag, bed mat), 8 lbs. for the tank bag with misc snacks, headlamp, tools etc. I also weighed by bike—fully loaded bags, fully gassed up in both tanks, both MSR bottles, water on board etc…..front tire on house scale 190, rear tire on house scale 260, total 450. Again more than I expected and I am sure that home method is not completely accurate. At any rate it is a baseline for me, helped me understand the balance of the bike and realize I will be quicker to remove luggage to attempt any super gnarl. The bright side, I would have done the same mods that add weight and packed similar on a bigger twin cylinder bike and you know how those numbers would fall….rather how ugly it would be to pick up comparatively. KTMCarhart’s bags were right at the same weights. Tire comparison, reminder MT21/606 on 690, Tusk DAdventures on 701. The lugs on the DAdv seemed longer, so I measured both tires. My brain immediately thought more rubber = lasts longer. Might just mean I shred bigger chunks and/or will be awful on pavement. Will give you rear stats only, center lugs were close to the same, brand new tires, 690 606 is 19/32, 701 DAdv is 20/32. Side lugs were a bigger difference—606 19/32, DAdv 23/32. Will measure again when we are done with BDR and they go back in the truck. And will provide a little feedback on how I think the Tusk tires performed, pavement, gravel and gnarl.

1569932161271.png
1569932168698.png

Camping Gear—nothing too fancy, I don’t do it enough to warrant big money. Clostnature Lightweight 2 person tent…this is a one person tent in reality with some room for your gear, homemade ground cloth/tarp, I also use it when we fix flats. Teton Sports Trailhead Ultralight sleeping bag. Whalek Self Inflating Mattress. I decided this wasn’t enough for my older bones for this long of a trip, recently added a Hitorhike Camping Cot, pretty compact. Pillow—I stuff clothes in my jacket. Marchway knock off chair, see if it survives. Adjust-a-Fork for cooking. I have some MacGyver stuff that KTMCarhart doesn’t, he in turn has some food prep stuff I don’t, falls into the nerd category—bunsen burners and stuff, mostly as a backup. Past that, it is jerky, GU and RX bars for me. I also have a collapsible soft ice chest for when we conveniently pass a convenient store with silver bullets and meat. We will stop at decent restaurants along the way when it makes sense, no matter the time of day. After this trip regarding the gear/equipment, we will say what worked well and what we could live without. KTMCarhart wanted to do the gear pic thing, I’m skipping the numbering and intricate details, PM me if you have something on your mind. We are not bringing the kitchen sink.

1569932296062.png
1569932303809.png

After our packing review, we then discussed everything at length over cold ones and fired up the pit to burn some meat. This is my wife’s favorite part, where I seem to pointlessly stare at my rig, moving to different angles every time I get a fresh cold one. As my wife’s head rotates, I try to explain that this part of the evening helps me think things through, scenarios, am I prepared, what am I forgetting as I look over the bike. The lights are on but nobody is home. That’s what she said. Reminds me, hope my headlight connections are solid after I hid a spare tube in the fairing/tower. Time to move.

1569932381737.png

The Thinker thinks we are ready, we leave next week!!

1569932406649.png

Great report! Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to YOUR trip.😂 Keep us updated and be safe and have fun!

1569932381737-png.png
a picture of mankind determined to control his environment :lol2:
279482579022201.jpg

Your packs look fairly reasonable. And of course you don't have duplicates. Looks like you're all ready to go and thought this through.

Similar to the packing my son and I did for the portion of the CDR we did. I carried tent and a few things he didn’t, he carried the food and stove. We both carried spare tubes and tools in the event one had to separate they could still do a repair if needed. I think total weight was about the same. Some things we didn’t use, but not sure I would leave them behind either.

Keep it coming.

Ktmsteve , just curious if your going to be wearing a helmet ? Because , that's a pretty big head to get a helmet around. [emoji23][emoji28][emoji23]

JMZ, I certainly appreciate your concern, especially knowing you have metal plates in your head that make you even more of a subject matter expert about things involving screwed up brains. I also want to say thank you for taking time away from your full time job, searching the For Sale thread and CL. I can also understand how wearing a helmet is optional on your Super Tenere pie rides. But never fear little buddy, on our big boy off road rides helmets are mandatory and Bell makes a large cranium version for The Thinkers. Take Care JMZ and be careful on your rides, i hear those construction zones can be real obstacles. With Love, KsTeveM

The Final Countdown Folks. Tomorrow early AM departure. Go west young man…….on a 690 and take the old dude on the KLR with you. We will be on mountain time soon my little pretties.
1570655785242.jpeg

Touchdown, Albuquerque…..and the balloon festival. As a result, we paid about 1 million dollars for a tent spot at a local campground. We knew this coming into the trip, our dates revolved around work. But it was only $5 per day to leave my truck here and I liked the location and security. Luckily high winds created some cancellations, we were able to upgrade to a tiny cabin for 1.5 mil extra. 25mph winds and 30F tonight, cabin looked good. I’m a little tired from the drive but still anxious to hit the trail. Told myself all day that the adventure started when we left the driveway this morning. Still not convinced, but the silver bullets and the landscape are bringing me around.
1570751987064.jpeg

Cool. At least you are taking pics so people like me can follow along. I'm really not much of a reader.

cbc3a4f597584968049ea28a3fd4e38a.jpg

Back