• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AMS Texas Ducati Weekend

Red5

Reaction score
While some of you went to the CMRA races at TWS this past weekend, I attended the Advanced Motorsports Texas Ducati weekend up in Dallas. Saturday had the open house at the AMS dealership, with demo rides, fashion show, and various presentations. The track day was on Sunday at Motorsport Ranch Cresson. Since this was the last weekend track day at Cresson for the year, I decided to jump on it. I also wanted to take the Monster out on the track just for kicks. Ducati designer Pierre Terblanche, the man responsible for the 999, Multistrada, and the new Hypermotord, was there for both days.

I left Houston on Saturday and arrived at the dealership late in the afternoon. Took a quick look around the store at all the pretty bikes and the pretty people dressed in their Ducati clothing. The Dallas dealership was a bit smaller than I expected, but their Alvarado location is still considered the best Ducati dealer in Texas and one of the best in the country. Took a couple of demo rides on a Sport 1000 and a Multistrada 620. There was a 999 demo available, but it was already booked up for the rest of the afternoon. The Sport 1000 was better than I expected in terms of performance, unlike some of the other "retro" modern bikes. Smooth and solid clutchbox, torquey engine, strong brakes, and a decent riding position. This particular demo also had Termi aftermarket pipes on it, so it was LOUD. The only faults I found on it were the heavy clutch pull (usually common among Ducatis) and the sharp tank/seat juncture (kept sliding into it - not fun when hitting bumps and sudden stops).

Went to the Cresson track early Sunday morning. Started to get excited just seeing the elevation changes on the track as I was driving through the gates. After riding the relatively flat tracks at MSRH and TWS, it's a nice change to have actual hills placed throughout the course. I bumped into Tom, one of the instructors at Ride Smart, as I was unloading my bike and he was nice enough to let me pit next to him under the covered area.

It was cool to see all the Ducati bikes in the paddock area. There were a few other Euro brands there too, some Aprilias, a handful of BMWs and Triumphs, and one MV Augusta F4. One thing I noticed was that there were more women riders than at other track days I've attended. They were not on starter Monsters either; a few had their 999's or 749's, and one was on her Paul Smart 1000.

Jeff Nash, the owner of AMS, held the morning riders meeting and we started breaking off into groups. I was in the Novice group since this was my first time at Cresson. Our session eventually came up and we hit the track for the usual Round Robin. The track is compact, more so than MSRH (we ran the 1.7 mile course). But it was a lot more fun and technical due to the elevation changes and off-camber turns.

Throughout the morning I tried to work on my lines and get familiarized with the track, and I started picking up speed after lunch. It was in the later afternoon sessions that I started hearing grinding noises in some of the tighter corners. I figured "must be the footpegs, they're easily replaceable, I'll just back it down a bit and try to hang off more". The grinding noise continued for several more laps until I took a closer look during a break and found the tips of the clutch/brake foot levers ground down. Eh... better than the kickstand itself to throw me into a highside. There's only so much you can lean on a Monster until the stock parts start touching ground. I could buy some rearsets for the Duc but I can't justify spending the money right now when it's used mainly for street riding.

Overall, I had an excellent time. The weather was perfect. Aside from one minor crash and a few off-roading excursions, everyone went home in one piece. Kudos to Jeff Nash and his crew for putting on a great weekend. Look forward to doing it again next year.

Some pics of the weekend...
DSC02463.jpg

The Dallas storefront

DSC02470.jpg

A special edition 999r on display in the showroom

DSC02476.jpg

Setting up in the paddock area at the crack of dawn
DSC02479.jpg

Paddock area

DSC02481.jpg

DSC02483.jpg

The NCR Millona

group.jpg

Group photo. Pierre Terblanche is kneeling in the front, with the black t-shirt and khaki pants. Jeff Nash is kneeling to his right.
017hl9.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

Time for aftermarket rearsets?

DSC02486.jpg

Loading up and heading home: five piggies in a blanket

Nice write-up! Looking at those bikes in Ducati red, all I can do is drool...:drool:

Good report! Love that Millona; I hear they weigh next to nothing. :drool:

About that NCR Millona...

NCR brought one of the bikes to AMS for the weekend. It was on display at the dealership on Saturday and at the track Sunday. From what I was told, AMS is considering to be a dealer for the bikes. The bike has a Ducati sourced engine with exotic bits built around it. Titanium, magnesium, carbon-fiber, it's all there. Weighs around 270 lbs (!) on the scales. Cost is around $35K+. Can be custom tailored to each of the owners.

The handlers for the NCR took the bike to the track and apparently allowed prospective owners and friends of the dealer to ride it for several sessions. At one of the last sessions of the day, one rider took it out for a few laps and came back in. As he was rolling into the paddock area near where we were, he slowly came to a stop... and dropped the bike. A few of us just stood there for a second or two, saying to ourselves "Crap, did he just actually dropped that thing??". The guy was just lying on his side next to the downed bike, not moving at all. Eventually the handlers rush over to help him and the bike up.

It wasn't a pretty sight.

Red5 said:
The guy was just lying on his side next to the downed bike, not moving at all.
He was probably dying inside. :huh2:

I had great plans to attend, but I banged up me and the bike Thursday night. Glad there was a good turnout.

Man, that NCR Millona looks SWEET!!! I am very envious of you Frank. I want to go to MSR Cresson real bad. What did you think of the track? Tell me more. :)

Vaughn

Vaughn,
Your Hawk GT would be perfect for Cresson. It reminds me of MSRH but the elevation changes and off camber turns make it more tricky. There are not too many straightaways to crank open the throttle, but there are a couple of corners where you can pick up some speed through them. It's a technical track for sure, one where you can pick up skills to use on other tracks.

I came across this link from another site and briefly reviewed it before heading up there:
http://www.roadracinghelp.com/LessonBook/TrackMaps/MSR-CC/Cresson.htm
I had some difficulty with the entrance to the Rattlesnake (turn 9) because I kept turning in too early during the morning sessions. The Wagon Wheel (turn 1) was also tricky with it decreasing radius and blind exit. I think it's the location where we had the one crash for the day in the Expert group.

hmmmmmmm, you have me all worked up for it hehe Lets go man!!

Glad you had a nice time. I hope to get up there sometime.

Vaughn

Gosh, the are all just so PRETTY!!!!

How come I never heard about this event?!? Ugh.
Mark and I have found some pretty nice monsters, for decent prices. We just need to check them out...

Back