• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some pics from Davy Crockett ride today

Did you guys do that little loop around Houston County Lake, Northwest of Crockett? There were some pretty cool roads on that loop.
Don't think I've been out there. Well and known it anyway. Need to go look.

Last edited:
Dont think ice been out there. Well and known it anyway. Need to go look.

Scott, Daniel and I did that last year after we stopped for lunch. Some guy at the Moosehead suggested we try the roads in that direction, so I followed Scott/Daniel on a random selection. I thought there were some pretty good roads.

Scott, Daniel and I did that last year after we stopped for lunch. Some guy at the Moosehead suggested we try the roads in that direction, so I followed Scott/Daniel on a random selection. I thought there were some pretty good roads.
Do you actually ride up to the lake?

Did you guys do that little loop around Houston County Lake, Northwest of Crockett? There were some pretty cool roads on that loop.

Nope, that is a different route ;-)

Looks cool. Don’t know if I’ll ever use an aggressive enough tire for those roads on my GSA.

This is an area where tires make a big difference. Seems like every time I've been in the group we've had a couple of riders on bigger bikes with street tires. They struggle and somebody gets their bell rung. Mirrors and clutch levers get sacrificed to the sand/mud monster. It's a wierd area of soil transition that will go from slick mud to deep dry sand in just a few yards distance. Makes no sense but it'll keep you on your toes.

Seems like its the same stuff we went through at Dragoo's class.
Trying to balance a good dirt road tire with the daily function of a commuter bike. I Want to ride dirt but so much asphalt is the reality around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: my6
I saw a pdf file stating that several roads are closed in Davy Crockett forest due to Covid-19 but without looking each up on a map I don't know where they are.
Are the gravel and dirt public roads open now ?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

This is what I saw
Screenshot_20200814-190427~2.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I live near Houston county lake and will be doing some dirt roads this Sunday morning. There will be deep sand on the route. Anyone who would like to join can meet me at my place and we’ll go from there. Just pm me. All sizes of bikes welcome.

Jarrett,

Have you made it to East Texas, yet? I'm riding over Saturday morning for breakfast in Alto. You are welcome to ride along.

I have made a couple of trips out there for pavement riding, but really itching to go do some dirt there. My weekend is looking kinda iffy right now though.

The National Forests are the one thing I miss about living in East Texas. About the only thing actually. I used to take the boys from the youth group camping out there and test backpacking gear. Lots of cool little roads and swamp ponds. They were a blast to ride on a DRZ with knobbies.

Attachments

• camp trip 2 - Copy.jpg
    camp trip 2 - Copy.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 231
  • camp trip 5 - Copy.jpg
    camp trip 5 - Copy.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 217
  • camp trip 1 - Copy.jpg
    camp trip 1 - Copy.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 221
  • camp trip 3.jpg
    camp trip 3.jpg