• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico riding

Reaction score
First Name
dean
In the good weather we go somewhere every week. On Fridays we ride to a couple of burger joints in the surrounding mountains near Albuquerque. One great thing is we can ride great roads and enjoy fantastic scenery within seventy-five miles from Albuquerque.

Today we went to one of our regular burger joints and enjoyed their big fire. After lunch we decided to go up a bit to the Valle Grande. Got a bit cold there! Snow everywhere. Where this picture was taken today is sixty-six miles from my home!! Can't beat that.

Attachments

• DSCN0947.JPG
    DSCN0947.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 152
Do you live in Bernalilla? I'm very envious of your riding opportunities.

Do you live in Bernalilla? I'm very envious of your riding opportunities.
No, I live in Rio Rancho. That is in the North West part of Albuquerque. If you live in Albuquerque and want to go to Colorado or Santa Fe you will have to go through Rio Rancho. I enjoy Rio Rancho. And how is it you know about "Bernalillo"!! Check spelling!!!

We do have some close by great riding! I can't count how many times I've left at 6:00a and arrived in Durango, CO for a fill up and breakfast at 9:00a. Then ridden the Million Dollar hiway and been home before dinner!

So tempted to pick up sticks & head to NM.
If we all think about it....that is no perfect place. We have to pick our poison.

I hate Winter and want a lovely Wintertime. OK then, tell me about your Summer! I just love the ocean! OK then, tell me about the humidity and, say again how much did you pay for your home? I just love the night life and attractions and for my wife and I we just have to have fine dining available. OK then, let's discuss your traffic problem and how far is it to camping and quiet?

I enjoy New Mexico. Most is conservative and camping, fishing and personal protection is not a problem. The big cities decide which way we go politically. As is the case most everywhere. Very good riding here!! :sun:

A good friend lives in Alamogordo. A decent enough town with good shopping and medical and far enough away from the higher crime areas of Las Cruces and Albuq. The National Forest is right out his back door with excellent riding or 4-wheeling opportunities. Here's a copy/paste of one of his days. He's almost 80, therefore the noon nap comment. The photos are of his big GS which he has since traded for a new Kawasaki W800 but still kept the little 310GS. He's the founder of San Jose BMW so he'll always have at least one BMW in the stable.

Yesterday Sat 5/29 after a nice Noon Day Nap
biggrinbandit.gif
geared up and hopped upon the great little 310GS for a ride, forgot my camera.....
105.gif
Left the house about 1:30 and headed up 82 to Hi Rolls OAT dropped from the hi 90's to the lower 80's because of the elevation 7,000' in Hi Rolls. Here you will need to find a map of New Mexico on your 'puter and zoom in to see the roads...er...trails out of Hi Rolls. Turned right, southward on what is called West Side Road or R90. Some 35 miles or so without any access to any kind of escape or dirt road of any kind, It is maintained by a combination of the National Forrest, two different counties and the few very remote Ranches up in the mountains. The elevation runs from the 7,000's to the mid 9,000's ft. The ride takes 2-2 1/2 hours at a minimum. It eventually becomes Fs91 and you work your way to Hornbuckle Canyon on the Sacramento Canyon Rd the beautiful Paved Rd that runs between Cloudcroft and Timberon. One of the best motorcycle roads in the country, excellent pavement and no traffic. I noticed when I finally got home about 5:30 that there was no chicken strips on the left side of my tires and a barely noticeable strip on the right side. A low powered bike riding at between 8,000 and 9,000+ elevation, the secret to your success is "Momentum is your friend" A great ride, about 100 miles.............Next time...................Won't forget my camera.

attachment.jpg

i-6TW84Dd-X2.jpg

i-Q5vrS7K-X2.jpg

White Sands in the distance
i-Z2qXvsW-X2.jpg

He sold his two 4-wheelers because his wife just had knee surgery last month and bought one of these instead. This is two miles from his house.
i-wKvVzrq-X2.jpg

NM is definitely a good place to ride and retire.

No, I live in Rio Rancho. That is in the North West part of Albuquerque. If you live in Albuquerque and want to go to Colorado or Santa Fe you will have to go through Rio Rancho. I enjoy Rio Rancho. And how is it you know about "Bernalillo"!! Check spelling!!!

We do have some close by great riding! I can't count how many times I've left at 6:00a and arrived in Durango, CO for a fill up and breakfast at 9:00a. Then ridden the Million Dollar hiway and been home before dinner!
Family in Albuquerque, Taos and Carlsbad. I usually go through Bernalillo on my way to Colorado. I like hwy 4, but usually have to bypass Los Alamos because of the gun restrictions.

Good thing we went riding yesterday. These pictures after an hour. Now, at 5:30p, it is dry as a bone!

Attachments

• DSCN0948.JPG
    DSCN0948.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0949.JPG
    DSCN0949.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 113
Back