• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Summer Long Ride

Day 6 - Torrey, Utah to Eagle Mountain, Utah

The Broken Spur Inn has a good breakfast buffet which is a nice change from the granola bars I have been eating since this started. I guess this is the last real riding day for a while. There are few places in Utah I have not been. However, today I get to see Fishlake which I have been wanting to do for years.

map6.jpg

The ride starts out towards Rabbit Valley - Loa, Utah. This is my first time riding west through here and the valley is much more pronounced and impressive from this direction.

Near Loa, I turn north into the Fishlake area. There is a cattle drive in the middle of the road. Rather than scatter them, I pulled to the side, killed the bike and waited for about 15 minutes while the cowboys drove their herd to a pasture down the road.

A few miles down the road, a nice climb into the mountains begins. The mountains are well above 10,000 feet here. The twisty roads and streams in every direction made it a great way to start out. If you like fishing for trout in streams, this is your paradise.

day6-1.jpg

Looking back in the direction I came from. What a cool road.

day6-2.jpg

Johnson Valley reservoir is the first body of water in the area. The only sound was the wind and occasional white bird in background.

day6-3.jpg

Fresh snow on the sides of the roads and mountain tops is more evidence of a slow warmup this year. Trying to stay off the highways as much as I could, I skipped Fish Lake itself and took a road to the north. It turned out to be a good choice as there were lots of elevation change, switch backs, small ponds and streams. I eventually found myself at a mountainous section of I-70 and turned west for a few miles.

After not too long, I turned north into the farmland of northern Utah and ran parallel to I-15 as long as practical. After a few hours of doing that, I had to turn northwest towards Salt Lake City. So up I-15 I went until I reached Eagle Mountain. I had been here once before and thought I knew the way but proceeded to spend the next half hour riding in circles. I eventually stopped to regroup, found my way to my friends and parked the bike.

To be honest, I was a little down about the trip ending earlier than originally planned. However, I was pleased at not being forced to ride in disagreeable weather. The Northwest is where I really want to ride. Waiting a couple of weeks is no problem. Now, I just have to deal with the airports. Sigh...

On the flight home, we flew right over the area of Utah-95 I had been on a few days before. If you follow the lake/river up, it comes to a fork. The Dirty Devil river is on the left and the Colorado river on the right. That is where the Colorado river bridge a few posts above is located. Canyonlands National Park is in the top 1/3 of photo.

day6-99.jpg

End of Part I

Last edited:
In 40 years or riding there, I've never failed to top my bike out, usually fully loaded with gear, on that stretch on the way into Hanksville. Amazing straightaways. No cars ever. Last bike through, last spring was a 2009 BMW R 1200RT, Ztechnic exhaust, K&N filter and large amount of luggage strapped on behind me. 141MPH on the Garmin GPS. Not bad for an oilhead with 19K miles,13 YO original sparkplugs, and no electronically limited top speed :-) The road is nicely repaved now too. It's no FJR but still pretty capable....

BTW, beautiful pics. Can't wait to be out there this fall and camp between Torrey and Boulder in the high country pines.

Excellent ride report and photos.

Would you like me to move this thread into the Story Telling group? This LD group is more suited for Iron Butt type rides and won't get the views that the Story Telling group does, but it's your call, I don't have a problem with leaving it here if that's what you would prefer.
Ditto Texas T's comments - your ride report and photos are fantastic. I can almost feel the grit in my teeth :rider:

My wife was not happy with me when I decided to do a U-turn right in that section. ;-)
That's funny, I understand what you mean. I think it has something to do with seeing both sides at once.

In 40 years or riding there, I've never failed to top my bike out, usually fully loaded with gear, on that stretch on the way into Hanksville. Amazing straightaways. No cars ever. Last bike through, last spring was a 2009 BMW R 1200RT, Ztechnic exhaust, K&N filter and large amount of luggage strapped on behind me. 141MPH on the Garmin GPS. Not bad for an oilhead with 19K miles,13 YO original sparkplugs, and no electronically limited top speed :-) The road is nicely repaved now too. It's no FJR but still pretty capable....
Thanks. Wow, 40 years? I bet you have seen some big changes out there since then. Yeah, that section of 95 down into Hanksville is definitely a good place to burn the carbon out. I used to until I saw Utah Highway patrol parked just up the road from the store with radar pointed that direction. They may have just been eating burgers from Stan's but I have been a little paranoid coming over that rise ever since. I will have to talk to you sometime about camping on the mountain. It is on my short list.

Ditto Texas T's comments - your ride report and photos are fantastic. I can almost feel the grit in my teeth :rider:

Thanks. I am happy you like it. I learned everything I know about long distance riding from others and enjoy giving back from time to time.

I arrived home from Part I, thought "it's terribly hot" and immediately started planning Part II. I ended up constructing a 2600 mile route through Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and California. I would leave my bike parked at a friends in the bay area and enjoy the nice weather there a couple more times before riding home in September.

The route ended up looking like this:

-Bellevue, Idaho
-Joseph, Oregon
-Packwood, Washington
-Reedsport, Oregon
-Klamath Falls, Oregon
-Fortuna, California
-Saratoga, California

Part II

Day 7 - Eagle Mountain, Utah to Bellevue, Idaho

map7.PNG

I remember thinking it sure is nice to start a ride already in mountains with cooler temperatures. I had considered taking a more scenic ride to Sun Valley but decided an extra day would be better spent somewhere I had not been before. So, I rode the freeway all but about 50 miles of the day's route which turned out to be painfully boring at times. Last time I was in Idaho, we started our entrance to the Sawtooth mountains northeast of here at Arco. I have never ridden the southern part of Idaho before. Once inside the state, the mountains quickly recede and the potato fields appear. The land in this area of Idaho is mostly flat farmland with rolling hills and few trees. There are dairy farms just like in the panhandle with tires stacked on big smelly piles...

The wind was atrocious and that blew the smell even further, just like in the panhandle. To top it off, there was a 30-40mph head wind most of the day. Even so, I did not mind at all. It feels great to be out, away and free again.

After four or so hours traveling down the freeway, I finally approached the exit that would take me north for the remaining 60 miles of the day. But, rather than head north I turned south into Twin Falls. There was something I wanted to see.

Before looking any further down, do you know what this is?
day7-15.jpg

I thought I would be the only one out here but was far from it. There was a steady flow of former wind up toy enthusiasts, just like me.

day7-3.jpg

The Snake River Canyon launch site.

day7-2.jpg

I remember that day. It was a dud of the most spectacular type.

day7-13.jpg

The launch platform foundation blocks are still there.

day7-14.jpg

This photo and the person in it gives a better indication of just how tall the rock pile is.

day7-5.jpg

On top looking at the Snake River canyon wall. Evel always said someone painted a bullseye on the canyon wall and that really messed with him. I have never found a photo of it though.

day7-7.jpg

On top of the pile looking west down the canyon.

day7-6.jpg

On top looking back towards Twin Falls.

There is only so much one can do here besides take photos and sweat. I rode a few miles down to Shoshone Falls but decided I was tired of being hot and headed north for the mountains. A short time later, I arrived at the motel in Bellevue. I was going to stay in Sun Valley, but they are quite proud of their hotels. Looking for something more reasonable, I found the High Country motel about 20 miles closer in Bellevue. I don't usually advertise for others but the guy that owns the hotel is a very nice person. The price is right and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

Creating a ride report is quite enjoyable but it is also laborious and time consuming. This is as far as I have made it into Part II. There are 7 more travel days to put together. It will be a short while before I am ready to post Day 8 forward. I hope you have enjoyed the report as much as I have in creating it.

Last edited:
“…Creating a ride report is quite enjoyable but it is also laborious and time consuming….”

Hear hear! I have a horrible record of starting RR’s and then not finishing them. Hope you have more “stick-to-it-ness” than I do.

Enjoying your report.

“…Creating a ride report is quite enjoyable but it is also laborious and time consuming….”

Hear hear! I have a horrible record of starting RR’s and then not finishing them. Hope you have more “stick-to-it-ness” than I do.

Enjoying your report.

Thank you, I am happy to hear that. I have the same problem writing reports as you do. I have found that it helps quite a bit if I create them offline first. Part II was one of the best rides I have ever taken. I will definitely get it documented.

get going on the rode reports. It is unethical to get a ride in and not crank out a report of some sort. Sheesh I recognized all of the turns in the earlier report because that was my backyard riding area for so many years. Have you ever seen the lake just after crossing the dirty devil and bridge, when its up next to the road? Those were the days. Around 2000 it was still up there. You can see the outhouses set out in the middle of nowhere now, when they were originally close to lake shore. Ah but the high speed road and moderate speed twisties still remain on the way to Hole in the Wall in Hanksville. That said, the big gas station on the left coming in is a better stop and the hamburgers in the connected restaurant are awesome.

Before looking any further down, do you know what this is?
I thought I would be the only one out here but was far from it. There was a steady flow of former wind up toy enthusiasts, just like me.
The Snake River Canyon launch site.
Heh. I was just on that hallowed ground about 2 weeks ago.
Funny: there were lots of people milling around, but NONE of them were old enough to really understand the significance of that hill.

Ramp-2.jpg

Have you ever seen the lake just after crossing the dirty devil and bridge, when its up next to the road?
That whole area has been bone dry since my first ride through there in 2010. That would have made for a real nice sight up along the wall. I read somewhere that Lake Powell sometimes reached 20 miles upstream from the bridge. Seeing it now, that is hard to imagine.

Heh. I was just on that hallowed ground about 2 weeks ago.
Funny: there were lots of people milling around, but NONE of them were old enough to really understand the significance of that hill.

Ramp-2.jpg
Hey, that's cool and what a great photo. It is one thing to see it on TV but something else entirely to stand up there. My friends and I bloodied ourselves up real good trying to be the #1's of our neighborhood. I wish I had gotten to meet him.

Decisions today:

1. Do I ride Highway 1 to San Luis Obispo and back?
2. Do I ride Highway 1 north to Mendocino and back.
3. Do I skip the coast entirely and ride the Sierra passes.

I love tough problems like this 😎

Back