• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red River New Mexico, "Bucket List Ride"

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
I've visited northern New Mexico for most of my life; camping as a kid with parents and grandparents, then taking my own family. We almost always go to Santa Fe, and Red River. From as early as I can remember, I have looked at the mountains and the roads leading off into the mountains, and I have wanted to take my Jeep or my motorcycles up there to explore. I have dreamed that for almost 30 years. But since I bought my '82 Honda XL250R, I new that I had the bike to complete my "bucket list ride".

The plan was to carry my bike on a hitch-hauler, stop in Santa Fe for green chile New Mexican food and shopping, go to Red River so I could ride and wife could go into town for shopping, then on to Raton and back to DFW. A four day trip but enough time to do what we wanted and then make plans to come back again.

Pictures of my Kia and Honda as we left the house then at Allsups stop for gas and burritos...

Attachments

• 001 Leaving Wednesday.jpg
    001 Leaving Wednesday.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 002 Allsups Wednesday.jpg
    002 Allsups Wednesday.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 129
First night in Santa Fe, I unloaded the bike and parked it at motel. I was worried how if would ride along with the Kia, but it was strapped down well and we had no problems. The hitch hauler was a good purchase in my mind. Off to dinner and the Plaza for shopping and we met this nice lady playing beautiful music in the Plaza on her violin. I always wanted to ride my bike in downtown Santa Fe, so I explored some of the town and had a great time. I had rejetted the carburetor per Honda High Altitude jetting and it ran just fine at the higher elevation. I love seeing my Honda with Public Art and the surrounding mountains in the background.

Attachments

• 007 Santa Fe.JPG
    007 Santa Fe.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 149
  • 006 Robot SF.JPG
    006 Robot SF.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 005 Wolf SF.JPG
    005 Wolf SF.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 004 Violin Santa Fe.JPG
    004 Violin Santa Fe.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 003 Motel Wednesday.jpg
    003 Motel Wednesday.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 131
I loaded up the bike and we began our drive to Red River. I began to get excited and nervous at the same time, as I have always dreamed to riding RR and now it is happening. I had been researching and planning for months, making decisions on lodging, carrying the bike, preparing the bike, what to take in clothing/tools/etc. I watched Utube videos and read all I could on which trail(s) to ride, taking into account that I was new to this and would be riding by myself. Just FYI, I have been riding dirt bikes most of my life so I knew my way around dirt, sand, mud and rocks. After much thought, I chose the Goose Lake Trail; 8 miles each way, rated as difficult, and has a beautiful little lake at the end of the Trail.

I was giddy as I unloaded the bike at the edge of town and couldn't wait to start the ride. My first obstacle as soon as I started the Trail was a creek to cross. I knew the creek wasn't really deep from seeing Jeeps cross it in videos, but I chose to ride across the bridge to the left instead of getting myself wet.

I'll continue the Adventure story tomorrow....

Attachments

• 008 RedRiver_Friday.jpg
    008 RedRiver_Friday.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 009 Goose Lake River Start.JPG
    009 Goose Lake River Start.JPG
    746 KB · Views: 134
I practice water crossings here at home all the time, as it is so hot, getting soaked is just a fringe benefit!!

I bought a hitch carrier the other day at a garage sale, and Jerry used it to haul his Triumph to Mason! It sure is easier than loading into a pickup bed with a ramp!! I'm not sure how well it will do with a heavy bike, but Growler fits on it with no trouble.

Looks like you had a nice time! :rider:

Right at the start, the trail got very rugged, rocky, and steep. There was large flat rocks, smaller gravelly rocks, and loose dirt; it was all pretty basic to me with my dirt bike skills. I just took it slow and easy and concentrated where I placed my front tire. I worried that I would meet others coming down the trail, but there were a few turn-outs that I could stop and take photos. The photos don't do the place justice, it was steep and so beautiful to ride through. I loved seeing my bike on the trail as it looked so natural.

Attachments

• 014 Goose Lake Tr Back.JPG
    014 Goose Lake Tr Back.JPG
    595.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 013 Goose Lake Tr Climb.JPG
    013 Goose Lake Tr Climb.JPG
    713.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 012 Goose Lake Tr Aspens.JPG
    012 Goose Lake Tr Aspens.JPG
    719.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 010 Goose Lake Tr.jpg
    010 Goose Lake Tr.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 010 Goose Lake Tr V.jpg
    010 Goose Lake Tr V.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 011 Goose Lake Tr.JPG
    011 Goose Lake Tr.JPG
    611.1 KB · Views: 136
I took my time and kept the XL in first or second gear and the little Honda just "tractored along". Very little wheel slip, a few puddles, 3 or 4 bad rocky/climbing sections and I arrived at the Lake after about an hour and a half. The temperature was quite cool, but so pleasant. The air was so thin that I was really huffing and puffing until I got used to it. I grabbed my camera and walked around some on the hiking trail to the Lake. Again, I don't think the pictures do the place justice, but I did my best to capture it. A few minutes after I got there, sheep arrived from out of the woods (I don't know what kind of sheep) but they seemed comfortable with people as they walked right up to the others in the parking lot who offered them food.

Attachments

• 022 Goose Lake Sheep.JPG
    022 Goose Lake Sheep.JPG
    622.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 020 Goose Lake Group.JPG
    020 Goose Lake Group.JPG
    795.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 019 Goose Lake Duck.JPG
    019 Goose Lake Duck.JPG
    682.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 018 Goose Lake Sheep.JPG
    018 Goose Lake Sheep.JPG
    679.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 016 Goose Lake Parking.JPG
    016 Goose Lake Parking.JPG
    694.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 015 Goose Lake Parking.JPG
    015 Goose Lake Parking.JPG
    692.5 KB · Views: 160
Goose Lake is a short walk from the parking area; the Lake is a beautiful alpine lake surrounded by the mountains. It looked like a picture postcard and the cool air and quiet made it almost a religious experience. Some people were hiking the trail, some were fishing, I tried to get this amazing place into a good picture to share where I have been. After a short rest to get my strength back I prepared to go back down to Red River.

Attachments

• 027 Goose Lake.JPG
    027 Goose Lake.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 026 Goose Lake .JPG
    026 Goose Lake .JPG
    671 KB · Views: 129
  • 025 Goose Lake Hike Trail.JPG
    025 Goose Lake Hike Trail.JPG
    714.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 024 Goose Lake Cloudy.JPG
    024 Goose Lake Cloudy.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 141
Going back down was a little scarier as I picked my way around the loose rocks and protected sliding in the loose dirt. I weaved from tire track to tire track to pick the best line and to avoid getting too close to the steep mountainside dropoff. The pics don't show it, but in some places the literal edge of the trail drops hundreds of feet below. Some reviews I read told of someone actually loosing their life sliding their pickup off the trail. I had one "pucker moment" where my XL hit a rock, pitched sideways toward the trail edge, but I recovered safely. Whew!

Attachments

• 033 Goose Lake.jpg
    033 Goose Lake.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 032 Goose Lake.jpg
    032 Goose Lake.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 031 Goose Lake.JPG
    031 Goose Lake.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 030 Goose Lake.JPG
    030 Goose Lake.JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 029 Goose Lake.JPG
    029 Goose Lake.JPG
    790.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 028 Goose Lake.JPG
    028 Goose Lake.JPG
    565.8 KB · Views: 115
There weren't many turnouts where I could stop and take scenic pics; the trees really lined the trail except for just a couple of spots. This pic shows the mountains, trees, the highway coming down the mountain into Red River, and the village of RR below. And, the last pic is my muddy XL250R loaded back up to head to Raton for the night then back home to DFW.

Overall, this was a fantastic trip! Well worth the planning, decision-making, long drive to get there. Everything worked perfectly: hitch hauler, my bike, carburetor jetting, tire choice, trail choice. Right now I am making plans to do this again with my son riding with me and spend much more time in Red River to explore the many trails in the area.

Attachments

• 034 Goose Lake.jpg
    034 Goose Lake.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 035 Dirty Bike.jpg
    035 Dirty Bike.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 116
I've visited northern New Mexico for most of my life; camping as a kid with parents and grandparents, then taking my own family. We almost always go to Santa Fe, and Red River. From as early as I can remember, I have looked at the mountains and the roads leading off into the mountains, and I have wanted to take my Jeep or my motorcycles up there to explore. I have dreamed that for almost 30 years. But since I bought my '82 Honda XL250R, I new that I had the bike to complete my "bucket list ride".

The plan was to carry my bike on a hitch-hauler, stop in Santa Fe for green chile New Mexican food and shopping, go to Red River so I could ride and wife could go into town for shopping, then on to Raton and back to DFW. A four day trip but enough time to do what we wanted and then make plans to come back again.

Pictures of my Kia and Honda as we left the house then at Allsups stop for gas and burritos...
All the above! It is all beautiful and we love the drive between Clayton and Raton. You never know what type military aircraft you may see along the way as they do their training. And the NP at the volcano is worth a stop, don't remember the name.

All the above! It is all beautiful and we love the drive between Clayton and Raton. You never know what type military aircraft you may see along the way as they do their training. And the NP at the volcano is worth a stop, don't remember the name.
Mt. Capulin is where the park service site is, but there are many other volcanoes in the area.

Thanks for sharing. I've been to Red River many times. My dad lived in Taos for 26 years until his death and my brother still lives there. The metal wolf you posted a picture of is at Meow Wolf. I hope you went inside, it's an amazing exhibit of "art." I guess I need to start planning a trip up to Goose lake.

311218-0fa168485c7d7fcd10178058bdd9dc16.jpg

I also don't know what these animals are, but if you backpack in the area, they will sometimes be waiting outside your tent in the morning. They are waiting for your morning pee pee so they can lick the salt.

Are they goats or sheep? The white rump makes me think bighorn sheep but the horns look like regular goat horns...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your trip! 👍🏻

My new Honda CRF250L Rally; ready for new adventures. As much as I love my '82 XL250R, I decided that I need to "modernize" with ful injection, elec start, and water cooling.

Let the Motorcycle Adventures begin!

Attachments

• 20221001_175421.jpg
    20221001_175421.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 95
My new Honda CRF250L Rally; ready for new adventures. As much as I love my '82 XL250R, I decided that I need to "modernize" with ful injection, elec start, and water cooling.

Let the Motorcycle Adventures begin!
Lovely pictures. Hope your keeping the 82.

The trail up the other side of the canyon is a really fun one too , goose lake had to much traffic on it for my liking also trails all over the woods from Red River to Cabristo canyon coming up from Questa and to the tops of the mountain . The best is Vally Vidal from east of Cimmaron to the Colorado border .

The trail up the other side of the canyon is a really fun one too , goose lake had to much traffic on it for my liking also trails all over the woods from Red River to Cabristo canyon coming up from Questa and to the tops of the mountain . The best is Vally Vidal from east of Cimmaron to the Colorado border .
I for sure am planning to check out Valle Vidal next time I go.

Back