• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventures of GixxerJasen and JakobSmash

gixxerjasen

Wow
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Scott suggested I start a thread similar to his, chronicling the adventures of GixxerJasen (Me obviously) and JakobSmash (my son). So here we go.

We are a bit late in the journey so let's get caught up. Where to start? Jakob's first motorcycle? No. First two wheels? Yep, that's a good place to start.

Made the decision to start him on a glide bike. Great way to teach kids to balance a bicycle without training wheels. Still remember the first time I saw him glide down a hill with his feet hovering off the ground, great stuff.

JakobGlideBike.jpg

What wasn't so great was that training wheels really teach the mechanics of using the pedals and standing and riding. I recommend to folks to get your kids one of each and let them play on both of them. The transition to his first pedal bike was more difficult than I'd thought it would be, but we got through it.

JakobPedalBike.jpg

Able to use a bicycle, done! Time to start looking at motorized versions. Electric bikes weren't quite a thing yet aside from some cheap Chinese crap at the time, but we need to figure out what bike to get, so that involves the annual pilgrimage to motorcycle heaven, the Motorcycle Show. Got to get him to sit on a bunch of bikes.

He probably fit the little DR-Z50 best of all.

2016-01-23%2011.26.34_zpsflrp5uhk.jpg

The Yamaha was a good fit.

2016-01-23%2011.20.51_zpsxz5mtse8.jpg

He also had expensive taste and liked the KTM, but it didn't fit thankfully.

2016-01-23%2011.23.44_zpselb3efd7.jpg

But the little Honda was a good fit too.

2016-01-23%2011.31.56_zpsfea3utk3.jpg

OldTLSDoug used to have a healthy collection of DR-Z50's for pit bikes but at the time he was flush out, so I went to the craigslists and found the Honda's to be more plentiful. And thus began a journey of "Free" motorcycles. I'd buy older bikes for cheap, fix the things that needed fixing, use them for a while and then sell them again for the same price as purchased, usually in better condition than I got them. Just always had to shell out the ever increasing cash needed to get to the next model.

Here we'd just dug birthday boy's first motorcycle, a Honda CRF50F out of hiding in the garage for his birthday. We are answering the zillion questions of "What dat do?"

2016-03-04%2018.52.25_zpswx55t0qq.jpg

First poser shot.

20160603_213416_zps7sasamq3.jpg

Time to get rid of some gremlins.

2016-04-06%2020.02.42_zps7zbxcelj.jpg

Old cracked fuel line and a crumbly air filter were the culprits. Ran really well after that.

2016-04-07%2020.30.00_zpslknv6cvp.jpg

2016-04-07%2020.34.37_zps20antgui.jpg

We made the mistake of taking mom to Cycle Gear and she went way overboard with the credit card. This would also be the start of an expensive cycle as he'd outgrow gear almost before we could use it.

2016-03-27%2018.17.01_zpswswvqei4.jpg

But he had a blast. Unfortunately due to many commitments like Soccer and other stuff, we never really got to ride as much as we wanted, but we did when we could.

2016-11-12%2010.06.41-2_zpsjyby8xbz.jpg

2016-11-12%2011.02.26_zpsakeyk9zb.jpg

He spent a lot of time riding in the sand at Trophy Club, and I really needed to install some confidence on that bike, it was definitely needed in the sand.

20160911_162145_zpss3nqthsd.jpg

Meanwhile, Poser posted up on TWT that he had possession of a CRF70F that needed to be sold. I was still working Jakob through the throttle restrictor but he'd been too big for the 50 pretty much from the get go, so I snagged it. Ya'll, this is what a spoiled kid looks like. Also, this picture will be to blame when he suffers from MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome) later in life.

20160603_213416_zps7sasamq3.jpg

The advantage of having the 70 was I could stop all that confounded running in the sand to keep up with him to pick things up, sort things out, and kick start the bike back to life. Also it was fun.

jasenjakob_zpsscjj5v7w.jpg

We made the mistake of letting mom try the 70 out and she instantly found the joy that I have on a bike. We'd eventually get her a CRF230F but her riding time would sadly be very short due to some medical issues that resulted in head surgery that left lingering intense nerve pain such that she can no longer wear a helmet. Won't have her story in here, because it sucks, and this is a post about fun stuff.

2017-02-19%2011.05.26_zps3qv16npt.jpg

This is pretty much the end of the little 50cc saga.

Attachments

• 20161023_103140_HDR_crop_zpshfvxpuro.jpg
    20161023_103140_HDR_crop_zpshfvxpuro.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 67
He finally was wide open on the throttle restrictor on the 50, so it was time to let him try the 70. One lap around the riding area and he wanted nothing to do with the 50 anymore. When asked why he liked the 70 better his response was "This bike is less wiggly!" Yea kiddo, you just learned the lesson of bigger wheels in the sand. And boy did I agree with him chasing him around stuck on the 50 with those itty bitty wheels in the sand, wiggly is an understatement. But he'd moved up and was having a blast.

20161023_103140_HDR_crop_zpshfvxpuro.jpg

An astute eye will notice new pants there, already outgrowing gear.

I eventually picked up a DRZ400 for me, so this is probably one of my favorite pictures, the short time when the whole family was able to ride together.

2017-09-04%2011.58.20-XL.jpg

Here we see he's outgrown his jersey, and by the looks of the suspension, he's outgrown the little 70 too!

IMG_20180409_143727_1-XL.jpg

Out with the 70 and in with the CRF150F that he just had to have because of the cammo pattern on the bike. Yep, another Honda in his ownership, I think I see a pattern forming. This was purchased mid COVID lockdown time and things were changing.

IMG_20200502_152920-X2.jpg

We did get some riding in, but various things always seemed to get in the way. Life does that. Also, pulling gear out and finding that his boots he wore once no longer fit so we can't ride today was a problem too often encountered.

DSC00899-XL.jpg

DSC00896-XL.jpg

Another problem was he'd outgrown the beginner track at Trophy Club, and it had gotten expensive, and I hate riding the trails there when it's busy due to too many wanna be racers putting dangerous passes on newer folks, so we migrated out to Barnwell Mountain, which is awfully far to drive, but we did when we could get life and weather to coincide.

PXL_20220320_191420805-XL.jpg

20220320-141456025-XL.jpg

And, just like gear, he was outgrowing his CRF150F as well. So a couple of months ago it was sold to make way for something new in the garage.

Which catches us up to yesterday, Jakob's 14th birthday. Timing was perfect as I'd recently reached out to TWT member Texas2020 who had a bike listed for sale back in October but never posted it was sold. Based on his Africa Twin's condition and his post count, he clearly rides more than he posts, but I figured I'd check, and low and behold it was still available.

So, the Honda Kid keeps the ownership streak alive as I brought home his 2019 Honda CRF250L and surprised him with it.

PXL_20230311_170938964.MP-XL.jpg

It's pretty well set up and ready for future adventures.
Suspension has been resprung and revalved front and rear.
CRFSONLY heavy duty clutch
IMS tank
Tusk luggage rack
Tusk hand guards
Flatland Racing bash plate

You might notice we've moved his bike from the F designation to a street legal L designation on this one. At 14 he can't yet ride on the street, but I can! LOL, one nice thing is I'll be able to ride it through the neighborhood without worrying about the Karen's calling the police on us to go practice at the school parking lot because it's a street legal bike. But we can still take it to Barnwell and have fun off road too. Next year he'll do the MSF thing and get his license and the real adventures will start. It'll be nice to be able to take him places where the "Trails" are actually legally roads, or where roads are required to get to and between trails. It'll open up more riding opportunities and vacations going forward are going to be planned much differently than before. Looking forward to it and I'll keep updating this thread.

Also, now he's got the newest bike in the garage, so I'll probably have to do something about that. Shoot, his bike is the same year as my SUV so it's tied for newest vehicle in the family!

So first off, I only bought Diana 3 bikes, until I gave her a Super Duke and then traded the Super Adventure to her for the Super Duke. I never had a DR-Z50. I had the DR-Z70, 3 of them, and I still have one for my grandson. There I corrected it, love the new bike, we need to see the new bike and new boots, that would be sweet.

Awesome thread! I started my girls on bicycles in a similar fashion but I just took the pedals and training wheels off their bikes. It was amazing watching them ride downhill for 100 yards or so for the first time. The training wheels never went back on after a few trips down that hill.

The tires on the 250L look short and fat. Is that just the picture making them look like that?

Keeping them in gear when they are young is a serious challenge!! We were fortunate that a friend's kids rode and we got a lot of boots, pants, and jerseys from them that were different sizes so our kids could all use them. I did have to buy a few pair of boots though, especially for Daniel because he hit a serious growth spurt.

BTW, do you still have the 150 or your wife's 230? I have a buddy that has been thinking about getting him and his son into riding.

I was looking at the pic of Jakob with the bike, and I remember being 14 yrs. old, getting my first bike (1971 Suzuki TS90 Honcho). His smile says, I am so cool, but I really want to be jumping up and down and dancing like Snoopy, but dude, I am cool.

The tires on the 250L look short and fat. Is that just the picture making them look like that?
Everything I see says those are the stock tires. Could be the black rims that make them look that way though.

BTW, do you still have the 150 or your wife's 230? I have a buddy that has been thinking about getting him and his son into riding.
I had put the 230 up for sale. Guy came out to buy it so he could chase his kid around his property who was riding a 50. He saw my son's 70 and asked if it was for sale. I had Jakob come out and sit on it and it was clear he was too big for it so I gave the guy the price. He went home with two bikes telling me he couldn't afford to look around my garage anymore. :D 150 was sold to help fund the 250 purchase.

I still got him by a half to a full inch in height. But his head size and shoe size outdo me for sure. His old medium helmet was painful to put on and take off so we knew that needed to be replaced. In anticipation of the new bike we told folks to get him some Cycle Gear gift cards for his birthday, so we took him to spend them yesterday. Found some good clearance deals and got him some new pants, jersey, gloves, pads and a helmet that does a good job of matching the bike. Here he is getting used to the height of the new bike and trying to relearn the clutch after about a year of not riding. Just helmet, gloves and boots for the parking lot clutch work. FYI, those super cool boots were given to him by OldTLSDoug when he swore off riding offroad a while back saying "Maybe these will fit Jakob some day" and "some day" is here.

PXL_20230312_212605787.MP-XL.jpg

Yes, we are working on how to manage the "Cool dude" hair and still being able to see out our right eyeball. :D

Nice!!:thumb: About the training wheels on a first bicycle. I've taught many children to ride a bicycle. It's sooo much easier if they haven't used training wheels. After the coaster bike, build a rear stand for the first pedal bike, apply a slight drag to the rear tire and let them pedal. They can also learn to use the coaster brake used on most small bicycles and pedaling backwards is sometimes good.

Nice!!:thumb: About the training wheels on a first bicycle. I've taught many children to ride a bicycle. It's sooo much easier if they haven't used training wheels. After the coaster bike, build a rear stand for the first pedal bike, apply a slight drag to the rear tire and let them pedal. They can also learn to use the coaster brake used on most small bicycles and pedaling backwards is sometimes good.

I was really worrying about that after mine had been on training wheels for a bit but they had it down in no time. It probably took a few hours to get all three pedaling. Maybe I just go lucky.

Too cool of a story! We embarked on a similar path last year after purchasing my son his first crf50 from @Revelc, he displayed a strong aptitude for two wheels after mastering his bicycle at 3 so I decided to fan that flame. Now almost 6 and loves it even though we don't get out as much as we both want to, but it's fun to watch the progress.
Screenshot_20230323_232715_Gallery.jpg

What do we do with our new to us used bike? Maintenance! This way we know it was done, when it was done, and that it was done right. From the looks of everything we could have let it slide, but, now we know it's all good.

Fresh oil and filter, fresh coolant, and a new spark plug. Also learned how all those fiddly plastics go together now.
PXL_20230325_180152191.MP-XL.jpg

I also ended up ordering a nice new wobble thin walled magnetic spark plug socket. Will come in handy next time because I'm tired of my stubby socket with the rubber o-ring type of retainer.

Jasen, get a DR-Z400 Spark plug socket, it works on everything, and you can use a 14mm open/box end to tighten/loosen.

The best spark plug sockets ever. The plug is retained by the black spring pushing against ball bearing which then push against the plug. These are Kowa brand and if I remember correctly, they came from K&L supply about 45 years ago. It's easy to slide the socket off the plug, but the plug is held securely.
IMG_20230327_113121269.jpg

The best spark plug sockets ever. The plug is retained by the black spring pushing against ball bearing which then push against the plug. These are Kowa brand and if I remember correctly, they came from K&L supply about 45 years ago. It's easy to slide the socket off the plug, but the plug is held securely.
IMG_20230327_113121269.jpg
Those are great, but you still have to use an extension.

Back