• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

They Paved Paradise (HC500 2023)

Reaction score
I enjoyed 2 days of riding and hanging with folks.

Thanks to everyone for coming out.

Why title this "They Paved Paradise"?
1. Perhaps the only complaint, if you could even call it that, was people asking for more dirt.

2. One of my very favorite creek crossings has been paved over. Middle Creek Rd (east of Johnson City).

IMG_20230528_122947337.jpg

IMG_20230528_123047836.jpg

More later.

Y'all post your stories and pix!

Same is happening here, slowly but surely everything is getting hard top roads. Of course the residents love it, lol!

As one who was trying to maximixe my dirt time, I was wrong. The route you and JT prepared and published were amazing. I road the West route on Saturday and the Almost Pontotoc on Sunday. Not sure I could have handled more offroad and the roads were amazing. So glad I came to the rides. The people in the groups were fantastic.

My only regret is I live so far away from these routes. Thanks to everyone, but especially to JT and Gina.

BIG thanks to JT and Gina. I met some new friends, rode with some great folks, had some great rides and the weather was fantastic.
Epic ride like this is an indication of all the hard work JT and Gina put into this and it showed. I really appreciate this. Pics coming soon.

What once was a beautiful, natural creek is now dammed with about an acre of cement.

They did that on a crossing heading south from 290 before Fredericksburg on Old San Antonio Road. Quite the turd in the punchbowl out there.
They also took out a tricky switchback after the top of tunnel hill and engineered all the fun out of it.

But the other 99% of your ride looks fabulous!

Can I ask what ride this was (sorry guys, didn’t réalisé this was the HC500, hope you all had a great time)? I don’t recall see any announcements, any chance you could share a gpx file for others to ride?

Last edited:
They did that on a crossing heading south from 290 before Fredericksburg on Old San Antonio Road. Quite the turd in the punchbowl out there.
They also took out a tricky switchback after the top of tunnel hill and engineered all the fun out of it.

But the other 99% of your ride looks fabulous!
You’re right Dave, I remember when those were “improved”. (Following a series of failed improvement attempts.) But, that road sees a lot daily traffic.

This Mididle Creek rd is lightly traveled. And residents have another out, which most use anyway, as it leads to Blanco.

It sure cost a lot to dam that creek for the convenience of a handful of drivers…jus sayin

You’re right Dave, I remember when those were “improved”. (Following a series of failed improvement attempts.) But, that road sees a lot daily traffic.

This Mididle Creek rd is lightly traveled. And residents have another out, which most use anyway, as it leads to Blanco.

It sure cost a lot to dam that creek for the convenience of a handful of drivers…jus sayin
Pullleeeese!...save your outrage. These are worthy use of your tax dollars. We can't have the 4WD G-Wagons and Land Rovers of the elite getting all grungy and dirty on the way to Starbuck's. Where is your sense of civility? :lol2:

Pullleeeese!...save your outrage. These are worthy use of your tax dollars. We can't have the 4WD G-Wagons and Land Rovers of the elite getting all grungy and dirty on the way to Starbuck's. Where is your sense of civility? :lol2:
I have property in western Llano co. on gravel roads. There are times when you can't get in or out because of deep mud. I just don't go when it's too wet. Folks who live out there don't have a choice, except lifted 4wd vehicles. I don't blame them for wanting pavement instead of gravel.

Well, apparently they moved out there or wherever knowing the existing conditions at the time. This is one of the problems with our society...especially people who move out to the "country" and then demand city conveniences. Those already living "out there" are probably more than capable of dealing with their environment...or at least they should be...or move into town.

Back