• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

There comes a time...

The road from Cody to Yellowstone in 1929. This came from my great-uncle's things; he lived in Greybull WY from the 20's until the war and then went back on occasion.

1 (21).jpeg

For Sarah

I used to get mad when I fell. I remember falling over on a hill climb that was littered with other fallen bikes. Rainmaker was ahead of me. We both fell over at the same time. People on foot reached him first to help him out from under his bike. I could hear him yelling, “Help her, she’s a girl!” LOL

This time:
“….Then that awful switchback caught us both by surprise. JT of course, made it through. I got on the wrong side of it and became stranded on a narrow peninsula of asphalt that jutted out above a veritable sea of deep ruts and loose rocks. (Yes, a veritable sea!) Again, JT offered to ride Suzi out. I studied the situation. If I duck-walked Suzi backward far enough, I should be able to turn and ride across the ruts… I shook my head ’No’ to JT and did just what I planned and it was easier than I imagined. In fact, I was so busy congratulating myself that I drove off the edge of good road and into a pile of soft gravel, spun out the rear tire and fell over sideways. Unhurt, I jumped up and watched as Suzi continued crawling around my feet until her tires were pointing uphill.”

And many, many other times.

Hang in there Chica, we are all rooting for you AND you are doing amazing!

Bear tooth hwy south of Red Lodge closed today due to snow.
That is an awesome road. Was just thinking about it as I looked at the report for day 33 and was thinking that it is getting late in the season for Beartooth, then saw your post. We used to live in Sheridan, WY, brother still does, really do miss the area and mountains, but not the short riding season.

Also love Yellowstone but there are so many people there now days that a visit every few years is enough for me.

Really enjoying these reports. Thanks!

Day thirty four - the first one, Friday, September 15th

Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass

We woke up to an incredibly beautiful day, but still kind of cold. I was hoping my oil leaking issue was resolved. The luggage was left at the hotel today, which was a nice change. The bikes felt kind of funny without all the weight we've become accustomed to lugging around. We headed through town and crossed the Shoshone River on WY 120. The highway gradually gained altitude as we headed Northwest toward the mountains along the edge of the Shoshone National Forest. At the point where the road bends back to the Northeast, we headed West on WY 296. This started climbing rapidly and was soon a series of switchbacks. The sun was still low in the sky, casting long shadows on the mountains. It did not take long before we found ourselves at Dead Indian Pass on Chief Joseph Highway, having climbed from 5000 to 8000 feet. The last time I was here, the views were choked with smoke from nearby forest fires. This time the views were incredible! The West side of the pass was quite steep, dropping almost 2000 feet very quickly via many switchbacks. At the bottom we came to Sunlight Creek and a cool bridge with an overlook off the side of the road. We stopped for some pics and then kept going. We started climbing immediately and were soon running along a high shelf above the South side of the Clark Fork Yellowstone River. It was just more beautiful forests, creeks, small lakes, and great riding. When we reached US 212, we cut back East and started the run up to Bearthooth Pass.

The intersection with US 212 was around 7200 feet and the pass was around 10800 feet. The road was nice pavement and started out climbing right away, being nice and twisty. The terrain started getting rocky. The rocks all had a bleached white appearance that really made them stand out against the ground and trees. There were lakes and creeks all over the place, presumably from melted snow. As we passed Beartooth Lake the road leveled out a bit and was not quite as twisty. It stayed like this until just before Long Lake where we stopped to take some pictures. Just beyond Long Lake the last set of switchbacks start for the final climb up to the summit. These were really cool and had very tight corners. I stopped numerous times to take in the view looking back down over the lower parts of the road and out across the high valley. It was amazing how far I could see! At the top we pulled out into a dirt parking area and walked out to some rocks that were the highest point. Even with both feet firmly planted on the ground and no ledges nearby, Sarah mentioned that she still felt exposed, I guess because we could see so far in every direction. The wind was blowing pretty good and it was cool, but nothing like the last time I was here when it was quite cold and there was a lot more snow on the surrounding mountains. We hung out about 15 minutes or so then got back on the bikes to continue on up into Montana down the North side of the pass.

Heading down the North side there are several different sets of switchbacks, the first just beyond the summit, a few just beyond that, and then the really serious ones just across the border into Montana. This last set starts around 10000 feet and ends at 7400 feet running along Rock Creek. The valley is very narrow and deep and there are a few other similar valleys, making for truly incredible scenery of a scale that just can't be captured with the camera. Sarah and Daniel were WAY down the mountain. I had stopped near the top to wait for them to come into view below. That seemed to take forever! When they finally did appear, it was as tiny dark dots moving along the road. They were just on the very edge of the communicator range. After Sarah caught up to Daniel at an overlook, they both took off out of sight. So I started my descent. Now I understand why it took so long to see them below! The switchbacks bend around into Wyoming Creek Valley before bending again back toward Rock Creek and finally really starting to drop! There was little traffic so my views were uncluttered. It felt amazing to be up here on such a nice day, breathing the cool dry air, and just really feeling alive. I eventually reached the bottom and then picked up the pace to catch the kids. I found them pulled over at a pullout along Rock Creek waiting for me.

While I was taking some pictures, Daniel asked me, "Should my tail bag be moving like this!?" He was pushing and pulling on it and it was moving up and down quite a bit, definitely more than it should! We got to looking at it and soon realized that the two bolts that connect the top of the rack to the top of the sub-frame on the bike by the back seat had BOTH snapped clean in half. Being a nerd I got to looking at the broken end and the fracture pattern made it obvious the failure had occurred quickly rather than over time. Think all at once "SNAP!" versus repetitive stretching and relaxing that makes a failure propagate over time until it eventually "snaps". The fact that both of them broke in this manner means it had to have been something pretty bad that caused it, like the hit on day nine that broke Daniel's rear shock. That was 25 days ago!! The soft luggage has straps that go back through the tail bag rack. These are very tight and it would appear that these and the two lower bolts on the rack were all that was keeping everything in place for the last three and a half weeks. Now we needed to get the ends of the bolts extracted from the bike frame so we could put in new bolts, but they broke off down in the threads of the frame where we couldn't get to them. This would need a bolt extractor, which I don't carry. Daniel's soft bags were still on the bike. He had left them on and only removed the dry bag liners. I suggested he move everything from the tail bag to the side bags to get all the weight off the rack. Hopefully this would get us back to Cody without issues and maybe our tool friend might have an extractor kit. I also noticed that the lower part of my right leg looked wet with fresh oil. Apparently, my leak issue was not resolved. I checked the oil level to make sure I was okay and it was still fine. I guess even a little oil makes a big mess!

With Daniel situated, we got back on the road and ran the rest of the way down into Red Lodge, MT. We got gas and then started thinking about lunch. There was some kind of burger place across the street that looked busy, so I figured it was probably pretty good. This was the Red Box Car Cafe and it was very good! They had a nice outdoor seating area that was a large deck right on the bank of Rock Creek and shaded by large Aspen trees. It was a very relaxing place to sit a while and just relax, listening to the water cascading down over the rocks and the wind rustling the leaves of the trees. They also had really good ice cream with waffle cones! While we were hanging out I did a quick search for "automobile repair" and found a place in town that was just a few hundred yards back up the road. I called them and explained what we needed. He said he was busy and didn't have time to mess with it. I asked if he would allow me to use his extractor and do it myself. Amazingly, he said, "Sure, come on over." I told him we'd be there as soon as we finished our ice cream.

Daniel and I left the cafe before Sarah did. We found the auto shop and pulled up out front. The owner came out, did a double take when he saw our bikes, and started asking questions about them. We showed him Daniel's bike and the broken bolts. He looked at it a few seconds and said, "Well, I thought you guys were going to be on Harleys and I didn't feel like trying to work on one of those today, but this looks pretty simple and I am actually quite good at this, so I'll just do it myself." Sweet! He wasn't kidding either. He center punched the exposed ends of each bolt, then drilled them perfectly straight, and drove the extractor into them one at a time. They back out easily. Start to finish I think it might have taken him ten minutes at most. He mentioned something about a spare bolt bin, disappeared for a few minutes with one of the old bolts, and then came back with two bolts that were exactly what we needed and just gave them to us. We had the bike back together in a few minutes. I asked him how much and he kind of waffled a bit, so I offered him $20 and he accepted. I was thrilled to pay it. Sarah had shown up while this was all going on and now we were ready to head out of town. We thanked him and were on our way.

With Daniel's bike fixed we headed out of town on MT 308 to cut back over to MT 72 and WY 120 and 294 to Cody. There was a sobering memorial to a mining accident just outside of Red Lodge. Many of the fathers, husbands, and sons of the small town lost their lives. The loss of that many lives was a serious problem for those left behind. It would be easy to look nack on all the things that went "wrong" on our trip so far and feel sorry for ourselves. A moment of reflection reveals that our problems have been trivial in comparison. Once again I took off to catch the kids. They were stopped stopped at a little bar where 308 met 72. The lady working the bar was happy to refill our water bladders with ice and water for free! Then we started South back into Wyoming on MT 72, which became WY 120. We were down out of the mountains in the desert. The road wasn't very exciting. Still, there is always something to see even when you think there isn't. I happen to like desert scenery. You just have to take the time to look and interesting shapes and colors quickly reveal themselves. Rather than run 120 back to town, I decided to cut across a big flat desert area on WY 294. There was nothing out there but dirt, rocks, and a lot of really straight dirt roads, but in the distance there was a bluff and we were heading right for it. When we reached it, it was just a fast straight climb of maybe 500 feet up onto the top of a plateau. We soon found ourselves at US 14 at the Shoshone River again and turned South toward Cody. The terrain on the other side of the river looked pretty rugged and rough. Along the river, it was flay hay fields being irrigated with water from the river.

We rolled back into Cody early evening and headed for an autopart store so I could pick up a liter of oil for my bike... just in case. Sarah wanted to explore the town on her own. I figured she'd be fine and we wouldn't far away if she needed help. Daniel and I headed back to the hotel so I could take my bike apart again and try to figure out how it was leaking. The only thing I could find that looked even remotely suspect was a small tear in the rubber gasket on the rear head cover bolt. So I cleaned all that real good and put it back together again. Sarah had come back while I was working on the back. Eventually we started thinking about dinner and it was already 8:00pm. I called the same cab lady from the previous evening and she couldn't come get us for at least an hour. About the time I was wondering if it was worth the long walk to get to the nearest place to eat, Gilidardo, the tool man, showed up in his personal truck. I asked if he would mind running us into the edge of town to grab a burger and then realized he had his dinner in his hands! :doh: He didn't hesitate to say yes and told me to get the kids. They were very excited to get to ride in his truck, but Sarah had to work at getting in it because it was so high! He then drove us back to the place where he just came from. When we walked up to the door, it was locked. It was 8:03pm... :argh: Guess what time they closed. This had been an ongoing issue for the whole trip. It seemed ALL the restaurants were short handed and were closing early. He immediately volunteered to take us somewhere else and the only place we knew of that would be open for surewas the Dairy Queen... on the other side of town. He said he'd be happy to haul us over there. So we cruised through town while he told us all about himself, his family, his other four trucks, his vacation properties in Mexico where he hopped to retire one day, and more. At the DQ, we had to wait in the drive thru for at least 20 minutes or more. By the time we got back to the hotel, it was 9:00pm. We actually had a great time hanging out with him and visiting. His new truck is SWEET! The kids loved it and I have to admit that I was experiencing a slight bit of truck envy :-P We scarfed down dinner and I made plans for tomorrow. The goal was to see the Museum of Aerial Firefighting Aircraft in Graybull, see Dave "@Cagiva 549" Hutchins, and make our way down to Ten Sleep to see Justin Smith and his family. Then it was off to bed.

Beginning of Chief Joseph on East side of the pass
IMG_8336.jpeg

From that last corner, it started climbing quick!
IMG_8335.jpeg

IMG_8338.jpeg

IMG_8340.jpeg

Snow fences along the switchbacks
IMG_8341.jpeg

Paint Creek Valley
IMG_8342.jpeg

IMG_8343.jpeg

The view from the top of Chief Joseph looking West. It was all smoke the last time I was here in 2017.
IMG_8344.jpeg

IMG_8346.jpeg

Wet noodle switchbacks going down into the valley below
IMG_8350.jpeg

IMG_8351.jpeg

The bridge over Sunlight Creek
IMG_8352.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

IMG_8354.jpeg

IMG_8355.jpeg

White Mountain in the background, almost 8800 ft at the peak, the bridge was at about 6000 ft
IMG_8356.jpeg

Swamp Lake fed by Corral Creek with the Cathedral Cliffs in the background
IMG_8357.jpeg

IMG_8358.jpeg

The water is amazingly clear!
IMG_8359.jpeg

IMG_8360.jpeg

IMG_8361.jpeg

Aspens are just barely starting to change color
IMG_8362.jpeg

Cathedral Cliffs
IMG_8363.jpeg

IMG_8364.jpeg

IMG_8365.jpeg

Heading up US 212 toward Beartooth Pass
IMG_8366.jpeg

IMG_8367.jpeg

IMG_8368.jpeg

Heading up Beartooth Pass. Looking Southwest and Long Lake, notice the color of the rocks.
IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8373.jpeg

IMG_8374.jpeg

Could be real fun on a Trials bike!
IMG_8375.jpeg

IMG_8376.jpeg

IMG_8377.jpeg

You can see the road in the distance by the lake above the rocks on the right side
IMG_8378.jpeg

Here's a closeup
IMG_8379.jpeg

IMG_8380.jpeg

Getting closer to the top!
IMG_8382.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8384.jpeg

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8386.jpeg

At the top
IMG_8387.jpeg

The rocks on the right are where we stood
IMG_8388.jpeg

Looking Southwest
IMG_8389.jpeg

IMG_8390.jpeg

IMG_8391.jpeg

IMG_8393.jpeg

IMG_8394.jpeg

IMG_8395.jpeg

IMG_8396.jpeg

The dark lines on the right side of the screen are from my GPS having a heat stroke on Day three of the trip when we had to stop in the middle of nowhere because Daniel got a nose bleed and it was 98 degrees with no shade. It kept turning off on me and these lines showed up. It has since stopped turning off on me randomly, but the lines persist. Occasionally, they go away for very short periods of time, but more often than not, they are there. This GPS is at least 12 years old and like our Sena 20S communicators is probably in need of replacement. I just need it to last a few more weeks...
IMG_8397.jpeg

Heading down the North side switchbacks of Beartooth, which are freaking awesome! :rider:
IMG_8399.jpeg

IMG_8400.jpeg

IMG_8401.jpeg

It's a long wayyy down!
IMG_8404.jpeg

IMG_8405.jpeg

IMG_8407.jpeg

Rock Creek where we pulled over and discovered the problem with Daniel's luggage
IMG_8411.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

Flowing water is loud

Luggage straps are holding the Givi mounting rack in place
IMG_8414.jpeg

My GS is marking its territory... :roll:
IMG_8415.jpeg

Daniel's hungry face while waiting for lunch at the Red Box Car Cafe
IMG_8416.jpeg

IMG_8417.jpeg

IMG_8419.jpeg

IMG_8420.jpeg

IMG_8422.jpeg

It is literally a red box car, at least the front part.
IMG_8423.jpeg

IMG_8424.jpeg

Really good food and great ice cream in waffle cones!
IMG_8425.jpeg

There were quite a few of these sculptures made of branches around town. Very cool!
IMG_8426.jpeg

Hitchhiker? Stowaway?
IMG_8427.jpeg

IMG_8428.jpeg

She is ice cream cone challenged :shrug:
IMG_8429.jpeg

Pat Leach of Leach Automive drilling the ends of the stuck bolts so they can be extracted
IMG_8430.jpeg

The dog was totally cool until I started to back out, then he started howling like he didn't want me to leave :lol2:
IMG_8433.jpeg

Good place to stop if you need help!
IMG_8434.jpeg

New bolts in place and good to go!
IMG_8435.jpeg

If you are in Red Lodge and need assistance, super nice guy!
IMG_8437.jpeg

Mining memorial outside Red Lodge
IMG_8438.jpeg

IMG_8439.jpeg

IMG_8440.jpeg

:zen:
IMG_8441.jpeg

Getting to be a real mess :doh:
IMG_8442.jpeg

IMG_8443.jpeg

Sealing surface looked good... :ponder:
IMG_8444.jpeg

The tear on the side was from the cupped shaped washer cutting it from the 600 mile service done by a dealer before I bought the bike, so I don't think that is the problem.
IMG_8445.jpeg

I checked the gasket and mating surfaces for damage and it all looked fine.
IMG_8446.jpeg

Cleaned up and buttoned up again. Fingers crossed it will hold.
IMG_8448.jpeg

The oil problem is only annoying at this point and not a serious problem. We checked the level and it was still on the high side of the little red circle seen at the center bottom of the photo above. If the problem persists, I will see if I can get Justin to help me track down the issue when we get to Ten Sleep.

Last edited:
Forgive me, I cannot resist. :lol2:

unnamed (6).jpg
Sarah has decided that she likes sitting around a camp fire when it is not super cold. She also likes being out in the woods. Other than that, she is not as wild about camping as she thought she would be. She likes beds, showers, toilets that flush, air conditioning, and especially heating :-P Every night we camped she got really really cold for some reason, even with several hot hand packs in her sleeping bag. It's a 20 F rated bag and I think the coldest we've seen while camping might be the low 40s, possibly the upper 30s. I think she'd be happier being a Glamper :-P

For Sarah

I used to get mad when I fell. I remember falling over on a hill climb that was littered with other fallen bikes. Rainmaker was ahead of me. We both fell over at the same time. People on foot reached him first to help him out from under his bike. I could hear him yelling, “Help her, she’s a girl!” LOL

This time:
“….Then that awful switchback caught us both by surprise. JT of course, made it through. I got on the wrong side of it and became stranded on a narrow peninsula of asphalt that jutted out above a veritable sea of deep ruts and loose rocks. (Yes, a veritable sea!) Again, JT offered to ride Suzi out. I studied the situation. If I duck-walked Suzi backward far enough, I should be able to turn and ride across the ruts… I shook my head ’No’ to JT and did just what I planned and it was easier than I imagined. In fact, I was so busy congratulating myself that I drove off the edge of good road and into a pile of soft gravel, spun out the rear tire and fell over sideways. Unhurt, I jumped up and watched as Suzi continued crawling around my feet until her tires were pointing uphill.”

She's hanging in there. She's just tired of being "the one" that keeps going down. Nevermind that I have been on the ground three times and Daniel has been on the ground four times, once on her bike and three times on his! All of our drops have been zero speed tip overs though, not drops while moving, except for when Daniel dropped her bike in the sand and bent the brake lever. Those are a bit scarier and they tend to hurt more. Regardless of her fears, she did some pretty amazing riding, but that is coming soon ;-)

For Sarah

This time:

Well that makes me feel a bit better 😂. Thank y’all for all the support, it really helps! Absolutely having a blast even on the rough days.

I am always amazed that you and I can ride the same road and you see so many things that I totally miss. Here's one we both saw.
My version three years ago and then your version yesterday. My wife says I don't need that wide angle lens after all. Thanks Scott, with that $2200 I can go back to Wyoming.
1695533052945.jpeg

1695533153310.jpeg

I am always amazed that you and I can ride the same road and you see so many things that I totally miss. Here's one we both saw.
My version three years ago and then your version yesterday. My wife says I don't need that wide angle lens after all. Thanks Scott, with that $2200 I can go back to Wyoming.
1695533052945.jpeg

1695533153310.jpeg
It really is amazing how well the iPhone 12 I have does with pictures and videos. I just need one with more memory! Mine only has 128 GB and I am using 122 GB even though I have removed ALL of my photos and videos up to about halfway through this trip! The daily review videos take a lot of space but without them I could never do the ride reports. I can barely keep track of what day it is or remember where we stayed more than a day or two ago at best. I have a better camera, but the phone is just super convenient and I can upload to FB or the forum direct from the phone.

From our 2017 trip thru Wyoming & the Black Hills. At a pullout up on Beartooth Pass. It would be really amazing if my sticker was still there

Attachments

• IMG_20170718_130402.jpg
    IMG_20170718_130402.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 89
[So I screwed up my day numbering here. I can't change all the videos. So I will just put the actual day number in parenthesis at the start of each post.]

Day thirty four (thirty five), again because I can’t keep track of the days we’ve been on the road and didn’t realize I’d messed up the numbers until I was on day thirty seven or so… :shrug:

Saturday, September 16th.

We packed up and left Cody at a decent time, 9:00am or so. It was another pretty day and not too cold. We headed straight out of town on US 14 toward Greybull. The last time thru here I spotted a flight museum as we zipped by and made a mental note to find out what it was. Turns out that it is a museum of aerial fight fighting. So we were making that our first priority of the day. Sarah led, so it didn't take long to get there... It was $5 to get in and totally worth it. It is not a top dollar operation, but they do have some cool stuff and aircraft. We spent an hour or so poking around and taking pics before getting back on the road. We headed into town and found a Mavericks store to top off our gas tanks and bellies.

The plan was to head North on CR 26 to 33, but we quickly found a locked gate on CR 33 at what I think was a bentonite plant of some kind. So we tried to just run 26 North but that dead ended into some other kind of industrial facility. Daniel REALLY wanted to do dirt, so we backtracked to Greybull and went through town to pick up CR 29, 33-1/2, and 27 to get to 33 in a round about way. Sarah did not like the first few miles of these roads as the gravel was large and somewhat deep, but she got through it without any problems, including a fairly steep hill climb with tight corners right before we reached 33. CR 33 is/was a haul road for big dump trucks carrying stuff to the bentonite facility. We saw NO ONE on this road. It was wide with shallow ruts and very hard packed, so Sarah liked this one and we ran a pretty nice pace. We split off 33 onto Dresser Haul road, missed the turn for Crystal Creek Rd, took some pics of cool landscape, made a u-turn and got onto Crystal Creek. Crystal Creek Road started out narrow with a short climb and was in pretty good condition. It soon opened up into a fantastic road! The scenery was really otherworldly and reminded me of Moon Valley near Big Bend NP back home. It had long straight sections, lots of curves, serious elevation changes, and did I mention cool scenery!? There were a few spots that we had to really focus on controlling our speed while descending into tight corners, but we all managed. It eventually came out at Old US 14a near the Bighorn Canyon National Rec Area. Sarah was relieved to reach pavement, but she had to admit it was a fun road.

We headed East on 14a and it was super straight until it hit the bottom of some mountains and then started climbing FAST. The road surface was in really rough condition with HUGE heaves, some 10-12" high, so going fast wasn't an option. There were also many corners that were basically gravel because the pavement was in such bad condition. We just stood up on the foot pegs and treated it like a dirt road. The views were incredible. Sarah declined to stop at the overlooks, so Daniel and I played catch up after she went by to, "do her thing," as she likes to put it. Once at the top, it got pretty cool temp wise and quite windy. The road just meandered across high valleys through the Bighorn NF and then followed the North Tongue River to US 14. We turned South on US 14 and the great scenery continued, eventually dropping down into a fantastic canyon. We stopped at the Shell Canyon Falls and checked them out, very cool! Then we ran the rest of the canyon down to the SMALL town of Shell, population 74. We stopped in at a small camping area to see if we could find Dave @Cagiva 549. We pulled in and found his trailer with ease, but not him. While I was walking around seeing if he might be about, he came rolling up on a bicycle behind us. He has a super nice spot where he is. I can see why he bugs out of Texas to escape the heat! We had a nice visit, but had to get moving because we still had a good bit of dirt of unknown condition ahead of us to get to Ten Sleep, our destination for the day.

Not far out of town we turned South on Red Gulch Road. Again, super cool scenery. The road was "in the best condition in years" according to Justin Smith. Well, it wasn't too bad, but there were two well defined ruts running almost the entire length of the road from someone that came thru when it was quite wet and soft! There were also erosion ruts that sometimes criss-crossed the tire ruts. We really had to be careful about picking lines! I let Daniel run ahead and told him to report back on anything he thought might be a problem for us. He did a pretty good job of keeping track of us and not running off into the distance. Sarah had one "moment" where she dropped into a rut while going down a pretty steep hill. I was right behind her trying to use my "calming voice" to tell her to just ride it out rather than fight it. She stayed loose on the bars and kept her cool, making it to the bottom without any problem. Shortly after I heard, "How much longer is this road...?" She didn't like the answer, but she kept at it. We rode for what seemed like forever and we could see for what seemed like forever, sea to shining sea, despite some haze. It was amazing and even Sarah made that comment several times. Daniel was just having run ripping and roosting across the countryside on the loaded 390 like it was a two stroke dirt bike.

We were trying to reach Alkali Road, where we would turn South for Hyattville and pavement. I could see we were getting close on the GPS and we were getting higher in elevation. It was also getting kind of warm out in the open sun with no shade anywhere. I pulled up to a short but steep and rough climb and stopped. This didn't look like something Sarah would want to attempt and when she arrived, she agreed wholeheartedly after pulling up next to me. Daniel had already come back and agreed to ride her bike to the top for her. Once past this, he took off and she followed me. We got into a little bit of sand and while I was in the process of telling her that it was just like the sand back home and nothing bad, I turned a corner and it got bad :doh: I hollered into the communicator for her to STOP and not follow me in. I plowed on through for quite a way before finding Daniel coming back to report. It was a long hot walk, but once again he went back to get her bike and ride it through the sand. While they were getting through the sand, I went on ahead to scout out the road. Just after the sand was a pretty long climb that wasn't real steep, but it was quite rough and rutted. After this there was another short, steep, and rough section. I stopped here and waited for Daniel and Sarah to come into communicator range. Sarah decided she would try to ride up to where I was. Daniel rode behind her, coaching her on where to ride. She did very well! Once they got to me, he rode on through the short nasty section and parked his bike quite a bit further up the road. He was looking for a good stopping spot. He then walked back again to get her bike and ride it up to his bike. While we was walking back to get her bike, I rode up to his bike and parked. She had a long walk to get to our bikes. It was hot and we were getting tired. The sun was out and there was very little shade to be found. Fortunately, there was a single tree at about the halfway point and I told her to just sit in the shade and rest. There was also a single tree right where I had stopped, so I sat in the shade a bit as well. Once out of the direct sunlight, we cooled off pretty quick. Daniel grabbed a Gatorade from Sarah's luggage and walked down to her and they walked back up together. Eventually they made it to where all the bikes were parked and we all sat in the shade for a bit.

At this point, we were all starting to get tired. We just wanted to get to Alkali Road and hopefully start dropping down off the mountain. While we were stopped a sweet jacked up truck stopped to check on us. We assured them we were having the time of our lives and would be fine! They looked at us kind of funny and drove on. Daniel took off and made it to the intersection but was reporting that there was more sand. Sarah rode up to that point and stopped. While Daniel was zooming around exploring, I rode Sarah's bike through some pretty deep sand and got it to the intersection and pointed in the right direction, then walked back to get my bike and rode it up to the intersection. All the walking and thin air was really sapping our energy. Getting on Alkali was not hard, but the turn was rough. The road started descending almost immediately and had some rough sections. We had one more spot where the road was VERY rutted and Daniel walked back up the hill a ways to ride Sarah's bike through it. After that, it was all down hill :mrgreen: The road had a lot of gravel on it, but there were usually two relatively clean tracks to ride. By this time the sun was getting low on the horizon and really lighting up the red tones of the mountains! The view of the area below was awesome. We made pretty good time here and it was nice to be moving fast enough to cool off! We all really enjoyed the run down to Hyattville where we picked up pavement on WY 31 and headed West.

The original plan was to run the old Hyattville-Ten Sleep road, which is gravel, down to Ten Sleep, but I decided to just run over to CR 43-1/2 and run pavement down into Ten Sleep. It was a really nice ride, especially the last few miles into town. However, there were a LOT of deer/pronghorns out and about!! As we rolled into town I saw the Ten Sleep Brewery on our right and we headed there to see if we could find Justin and say hello before running into town to find a cabin at the local campground. No sooner than I pulled up and parked in front of the brewery, my phone was ringing. It was Justin telling me to pull around the back and come up to the house. So we did. He has a steep and loose gravel driveway! Coming from the brewery there is a sharp right hand turn right into the hill. Sarah wanted nothing to do with that. After I made it up and parked, Daniel came up and parked. Then he went down and rode Sarah's bike up. He got a LOT of cool brother points this day! Justin greeted us with a big hug and told us to stay at his place. In fact, he was about to make dinner, steaks and burgers!! I was NOT expecting this! Not long ago he bought a really cool toy hauler adventure trailer/camper and he let us stay in it. The bluetooth sound system was killer and we really enjoyed that! Dinner was fantastic. Jody (his wife) made fried rice and a nice salad to go with it. We spent the evening visiting and catching up over a few beers before we called it a night. It was a LONG day, over 200 miles, about half of which was dirt. After showers we headed to the trailer and zonked out! Tomorrow I would see about fixing the pesky oil leak on my right valve cover. My luggage and pants were a mess!

Daniel quickly discovered that if he ran his finger nail across the cooling fins, they sounded like they were tuned to a musical scale! They are amazingly thin! The machining that went into these heads is amazing, most of which were done in the days before CNC was a thing.
IMG_8450.jpeg

BIG valves!
IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8452.jpeg

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg

IMG_8455.jpeg

IMG_8456.jpeg

IMG_8457.jpeg

IMG_8458.jpeg

IMG_8459.jpeg

IMG_8460.jpeg

IMG_8461.jpeg

IMG_8462.jpeg

IMG_8463.jpeg

IMG_8464.jpeg

IMG_8465.jpeg

IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8467.jpeg

IMG_8468.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpeg

IMG_8471.jpeg

IMG_8472.jpeg

IMG_8473.jpeg

IMG_8474.jpeg

IMG_8476.jpeg

IMG_8477.jpeg

IMG_8478.jpeg

IMG_8479.jpeg

IMG_8480.jpeg

IMG_8481.jpeg

IMG_8482.jpeg

Landing gear and LOTS of brake pads!
IMG_8483.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8485.jpeg

Jet assisted take off.
IMG_8486.jpeg

IMG_8487.jpeg

IMG_8488.jpeg

IMG_8490.jpeg

IMG_8489.jpeg

The "restroom" in the back of the plane
IMG_8491.jpeg

IMG_8492.jpeg

IMG_8493.jpeg

IMG_8494.jpeg

IMG_8495.jpeg

IMG_8496.jpeg

I design stuff with 3D Cad software for a living. I learned drafting using paper and pencil. I am always amazed at how early engineers were able to create such complex 3D assemblies with 2D drawings and manual casting/machining.
IMG_8497.jpeg

IMG_8498.jpeg

IMG_8499.jpeg

IMG_8500.jpeg

IMG_8501.jpeg

IMG_8502.jpeg

Serious spotlight!
IMG_8503.jpeg

IMG_8504.jpeg

IMG_8505.jpeg

IMG_8506.jpeg

IMG_8507.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

IMG_8511.jpeg

CR 26, before it dead ended. The contrast in soil colors is amazing.
IMG_8512.jpeg

IMG_8513.jpeg

This reminded me of Moon Valley near Big Bend NP. It is where we got onto CR 33 before Dresser Haul Rd.
IMG_8514.jpeg

Hard packed, wide, and mostly smooth. Sarah approves :-P
IMG_8515.jpeg

IMG_8516.jpeg

And people think desert areas lack color :shrug:
IMG_8517.jpeg

Waiting for me to stop taking pictures and get turned around so we can get on Crystal Creek Rd., after I missed the turn because I was looking at the scenery on the other side of the road :-P
IMG_8519.jpeg

There were quite a few tire tracks on the hills from bikes, quads, and side by sides.
IMG_8520.jpeg

Daniel coming back after turning around
IMG_8521.jpeg

Typical surface for much of Crystal Creek Rd.
IMG_8523.jpeg

IMG_8524.jpeg

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

The picture does not do the colors of this mountain justice! It was bright and amazing!
IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8530.jpeg

IMG_8531.jpeg

Right before a STEEP descent into a tight left hand corner with loose gravel... gotta control that speed!
IMG_8532.jpeg

IMG_8533.jpeg

IMG_8534.jpeg

IMG_8535.jpeg

This is a bit better, but still falls short of what it looked like.
IMG_8536.jpeg

The view from about half way up the mountain on Old US 14a
IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

IMG_8539.jpeg

The view from further up the mountain
IMG_8541.jpeg

The first over look was just around the left corner in the V of the mountains lower left in the image.
IMG_8542.jpeg

Serious runaway truck ramp. If it doesn't stop them, it launches them! :lol2:
IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

A WHOLE lot of dynamite was used making this road!
IMG_8545.jpeg

Yeah, it was kind of steep...
IMG_8546.jpeg

Typical view once we got up to the top
IMG_8548.jpeg

IMG_8549.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

Shell Canyon Falls - There were a LOT of steps!!
IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8552.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

IMG_8554.jpeg

IMG_8556.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg

IMG_8558.jpeg

IMG_8559.jpeg

IMG_8560.jpeg

IMG_8561.jpeg

IMG_8562.jpeg

IMG_8563.jpeg

IMG_8564.jpeg

Dave's Casa
IMG_8565.jpeg

Awesome trees! Those tents rent for $60/night!
IMG_8566.jpeg

Not Dave's Casa :-P
IMG_8567.jpeg

Dave @Cagiva 549
IMG_8568.jpeg

Early into Red Gulch Road
IMG_8569.jpeg

This is before the start of the ruts
IMG_8570.jpeg

IMG_8571.jpeg

Daniel heading down to get Sarah's bike
IMG_8572.jpeg

IMG_8573.jpeg

IMG_8574.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg

Sarah walking up
IMG_8577.jpeg

Daniel went back down to help carry some of her gear
IMG_8578.jpeg

IMG_8579.jpeg

Any shade will do...
IMG_8580.jpeg

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8582.jpeg

Sarah is back there around the bend where the road disappears to the left behind the hill. The tree in the center is where she rested on the way up. Daniel is walking all the way back down there to get her bike for her. The sand ends right at his feet, but starts back around the corner and was pretty deep.
IMG_8583.jpeg

It doesn't look bad here, but just past my bike is a short rough section caused by water eroding the road as it runs across it.
IMG_8584.jpeg

Daniel coming through the sandy section and riding past another rough stretch to a good stopping spot.

Daniel following Sarah up a long rough section. This was supposed to be a video but I did not realize I was in photo mode until they were almost to the top :doh: :lol2: It would have been great because they were working well as a team.
IMG_8586.jpeg

IMG_8587.jpeg

The last sandy stretch where I rode Sarah's bike up to the intersection with Alkali road.
IMG_8589.jpeg

Sarah hides in the shade of my fat GS :lol2:
IMG_8590.jpeg

Sarah's bike waiting for her at the beginning of the descent on Alkali Rd.
IMG_8591.jpeg

The "intersection", nice and rutted getting here
IMG_8592.jpeg

Going down!
IMG_8593.jpeg

One last obstacle - It eventually came all the way across the road
IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8595.jpeg

Nothing but smooth bliss from here to the bottom!
IMG_8596.jpeg

He's loving every minute of it!
IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

The pond in Justin's front yard. Can't figure out that rock. It has not been cut.
IMG_8601.jpeg

Sweet hangout and grilling spot!
IMG_8602.jpeg

Their "backyard"
IMG_8603.jpeg

The brewery down below
IMG_8604.jpeg

Magnus, the new pup that is all teeth :lol2:
IMG_8605.jpeg

IMG_8607.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

A long rough day, but they made it working as a team! :thumb:
IMG_8610.jpeg

Good stuff!
IMG_8611.jpeg

REALLY good stuff!! :eat:
IMG_8612.jpeg

Yosh's restoration project. He rides it all over town and to school
IMG_8613.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

A long fantastic day. I am really proud of how Daniel stepped up to help Sarah without complaining or griping about it. He was very helpful and thoughtful the whole time. I'm also proud of her because I know riding dirt stresses her, but she did her best and accepted help when she felt like she needed it instead of trying to do it all and get herself hurt. Time for bed.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for that last post. We lived in that area for a while and I really miss it. We visited last year but no bike along. When we lived there explored some on the west side of the Bighorns but more off of Red Grade Road which I believe is CR26. Have to get back up there with a bike along. Lots of changes since we lived there, mainly more people.

So we've been in Montrose, Colorado since last Sunday evening. The wi-fi at the hotel is horrible. The 5G cellular is horrible even when I have full signal strength. So needless to say, uploading pics and vids has been a nightmare! We'll be here two more days and then we head to Moab for a few days. After that, it will be time to head for Farmington and wrap this up. It might be a while before I can finish uploading everything once we get home. Then I have TONS of helmet cam video to sort through and edit.

In Moab now. Internet is better. Trying to get caught up. Going jeeping next two days. Heading home afterward. Should be back late Thursday. Won’t be going back to work until Nov 1st, so will try to finish up the report.

Back