• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let's start out the New Year right!

Reaction score
Wanting to start the year out on a good note I went for a nice 226-mile ride with Paul aka scratch and a few other riders. :eek2:
120347432-S.jpg

Twelve of us met at the Exxon on Hwy 290 and Huffmeister Road and took off around 10:30AM. It was a great day for riding but maybe a little cool for some. :sun:
120329370-M.jpg

120329648-M.jpg

The route was as followed. :rider:
NW290 to 362
S362 to 529
W529 to 331
S331 across 36 to 949
S949 to Cat Spring Rd
Cat Spring to CR-42
CR-42 to 109
N109 to 1291 to Fayetteville
Then 159 to LaGrange via Rocky Creek Rd.
120334902-M.jpg

Had lunch in LaGrange at Frank’s Place Café :eat3:
120330352-M.jpg

120330524-S.jpg

120330679-M.jpg

After lunch we separated into two groups of six. One group headed for home and the other followed Paul north. After a few new roads this group also headed for home. It was getting late and we wanted to make it back before dark. :cool2:

I had a good time and a Big Thanks to Paul for leading us on the ride.:clap:

All Pic's

Greg in H-Town said:
Thanks again to Paul for a great ride; he sure knows the roads well!
But not well enough! I made the mistake of trying to find a new route back to Hwy 77 North after we left Frank's Place and led our group down a dead-end road. A quick consultation with Rick and his GPS made me realize I was on the wrong side of the Colorado River. :doh: Got to get me one of those things...

Glad you were able to join us, Greg. That new Kawi you've got sure is a fine-lookin' ride! :thumb:

Many thanks to Trailace for riding sweep, documenting the day's events in pictures and for your navigational consulting. Heck, you did more work on this ride than me! :lol2:

I made the mistake of trying to find a new route back to Hwy 77 North after we left Frank's Place and led our group down a dead-end road. A quick consultation with Rick and his GPS made me realize I was on the wrong side of the Colorado River.

There was a faint outline of a dirt trail beyond the dead-end road. I got a laugh when one of the BMW dual-sport riders jokingly waved us to keep going into the trail after Paul motioned for us to turn around.

Or maybe he wasn't joking ;-)

Hey gang! This is my first TWT post, and I'd like to than Paul for putting on a great ride and introducing me to this forum. I was the guy on the yellow BMW GS, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to ride more in 2007 (and eat less pie, which I know conflicts with the concept of the Sunday morning ride!). This might be more appropriate in the "Intro" section, so mods please feel free to move it, but here's a little about myself. I've been riding since I was 20 (I still can't believe I'm 40!) and my first bike was an '87 Honda CBR600 Hurricane. Since then I've gone through a couple of dozen BMW's and a handful of Duc's, but keep coming back to GS's. I worked briefly (almost two years) running the european bike dept. (BMW, Triumph, MV, Aprilia) for Lyle Lovett's old shop in Stafford, so I've been on the inside the m/c business, so to speak. I'm a 14-year BMWMOA member, and I occasionally post on ADVrider. I look forward to a great year of riding and hope to meet a lot more of the Two Wheel Texans!

Joe Maniaci
Houston, TX

josephvman said:
Hey gang! This is my first TWT post, and I'd like to than Paul for putting on a great ride and introducing me to this forum. I was the guy on the yellow BMW GS, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to ride more in 2007 (and eat less pie, which I know conflicts with the concept of the Sunday morning ride!). This might be more appropriate in the "Intro" section, so mods please feel free to move it, but here's a little about myself. I've been riding since I was 20 (I still can't believe I'm 40!) and my first bike was an '87 Honda CBR600 Hurricane. Since then I've gone through a couple of dozen BMW's and a handful of Duc's, but keep coming back to GS's. I worked briefly (almost two years) running the european bike dept. (BMW, Triumph, MV, Aprilia) for Lyle Lovett's old shop in Stafford, so I've been on the inside the m/c business, so to speak. I'm a 14-year BMWMOA member, and I occasionally post on ADVrider. I look forward to a great year of riding and hope to meet a lot more of the Two Wheel Texans!

Joe Maniaci
Houston, TX

Welcome Joe and it was cool riding with ya Monday. I was on the 02 GS ADV

You've got some pretty good credentials there, Joe. Well, all except for the ADVrider thing - those guys are incorrigable! :lol2: ;-)

Glad you enjoyed the ride, and hope to see you again soon. :thumb:

Welcome to the board! You just found yourself a bunch of new friends - I think you'll really enjoy the board and the rides. I think you were the one I was following for most of the ride (I was on the the black ZZR600). We set a nice pace and I really enjoyed it. Judging by the experience you have, you'll be a great resource for folks on the board so welcome again! By the way, does Lyle still run a shop?

TTYS,

Greg

Welcome to the board, Joe. I sat next to you at lunch. I thought you looked slightly familiar. Used to stop by Lyle Lovett's dealership every once in a while to check out the Aprilia's and MV's there. Great looking bikes (especially the MV). Never got the chance to run into Lyle, though.

By the way, does Lyle still run a shop?
No, it was sold several years ago to the same owners that operate the Yamaha dealership on 1960, Houston Yamaha Motorsports.

Back