• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Daniel Graduates Highschool and We Head for the Smokies!

And it is official, he graduated!

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

18 minutes to get 430 kids across the stage!

IMG_0584.jpeg

A few shots from the rental house we got for the weekend
IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg
Daniel s like, ... NEXT
Good job, 👏

We stopped off in Jacksonville, Al., so I could show Daniel my old hood from when I was in 6th grade. The neighbor across the street was still there, now a widow, and 86 years old. She came outside when she saw us in the street and knew who I was as soon as I mentioned our last name. I last saw her in September 1978! We had a great visit with her and then got back on the road.

We made good time getting to Dalton, Ga., where we parked the trucks and unloaded the bikes. We visited with Phil “Dualindalton” from advrider.com for a bit and then headed back to the hotel to grab dinner before calling it a night. The real riding starts tomorrow!

We moved in here in 1977 and it was brand new, pale blue siding then and scrawny trees.
IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

IMG_0594.jpeg

Neighbors house across the street. We spent a LOT of time playing in the creek and woods behind the house. Apparently it is still a popular spot for all the neighborhood kids to play.
IMG_0593.jpeg

Mrs. Corbett, super sweet southern lady
IMG_0597.jpeg

This used to be an abandoned dairy barn that served as our massive club house. Someone bought and turned into an event hosting restaurant. The milking stalls were turned into booths with tables!
IMG_0598.jpeg

The church we attended
IMG_0599.jpeg

Where I went to 6th grade
IMG_0600.jpeg

It did not take long for the stories to start flowing!
IMG_0601.jpeg

Our gracious parking host
IMG_0602.jpeg

The Red Roof Inn in Dalton has seen better days. It has gone down hill a bit since we stayed here in 2019.
IMG_0603.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations to Daniel and You for choosing home schooling. We also home schooled both of our kids thru ABEKA. And it was a fantastic program.. My Daughter Rodeo’d and went on to obtain a full ride Rodeo Scholarship where she earned a business degree as well as her BSN in Nursing.

My Son Raced Motorcyles throughout and continues to race and went into the trades where he is a partner in a small company that installs agricultural and industrial polyurea flooring.

Best decision we ever made for our children, and we continue to have an awesome life with them as productive Adults.

There is nothing more special than enjoying time and adventures with your family.

Congratulations Daniel. Y'all have fun and that is a dream ride for me. The blue ridge parkway is incredible to see.

Another ride to follow. been ready for this. Your story of your hometown reminds me of mine. I got to do a birthday ride last year, Benton Arkansas. We moved there when I was just a few days old. Leaving it and friends behind was a disappointment, but I'm glad I ended up back in Texas. It's odd that my brother is not a native Texan. We moved when I was about to turn 8. Each kid got one birthday party, at 8 and I never got mine due to the move. Not long after we had left, we got news that my best friend there had accidentally shot himself. He found his dads gun. He and his brother was playing with it and shot himself in the head and was instantly gone. It was cool getting to ride to my old town. I remember things but my brother didn't, as he's several years younger. Anyway, enough rambling. It's good to see another story unfold each morning. I still have my desire to do a Colorado trip, to the 4 corners and Pikes Peak.

Great day today! Got started right on time and headed out of town on backroads. We did some easy dirt and some seriously nasty dirt! Some of it was bone dry and some was slick as snot! Weather was perfect, cool and relatively low humidity. Stopped for lunch at an old gas station with a grill. It was good and cheap! We ended up at Two wheels of Suches. We will be here another day.

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

IMG_0608.jpeg

IMG_0609.jpeg

IMG_0610.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0613.jpeg

I went first to make sure it could hold the heavy bike... :-P
IMG_0615.jpeg

REALLY good lunch here that was inexpensive!
IMG_0616.jpeg

A sign of things to come
IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

Things got quite rough and nasty on Old Bucktown Road going up the west side of the pass. I never stopped for pics because I was hanging on tight and trying to keep the bike rolling. It was wet, slick, and had BIG potholes. I think the Jeeper/SxS crowd may have been playing on it. That seems to be a common issue out here. We took a well earned break at the top until the gnats drove us nuts.
IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg

I think this was Grassy Gap Road. The sign at the bottom said the road was closed in .8 miles, so we rode in to check. We never saw anything indicating it was closed and the only gate we came to was wide open, so we continued. Like Old Bucktown Road, it got a bit on the wild side.
IMG_0627.jpeg

This is the easy stuff near the bottom, the real fun started near the top. As seems to be the norm, I did not stop during any of that to get pics :doh:
IMG_0628.jpeg

This would be a common them for the whole trip
IMG_0629.jpeg

A nice stream runs through the grounds of Two Wheels of Suches campground.
IMG_0630.jpeg

A great front porch with rockers and chairs. Fun place to hang out and meet folks from other places
IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

Across the street on private property, easily heard from the campground
IMG_0633.jpeg

We had the upper floor of the lodge to ourselves this evening
IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

Fire pits with wood provided
IMG_0636.jpeg

Path back to the cabins
IMG_0637.jpeg

No idea what this is, but it is supper common out here!!
IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

Basic cabins. No A/C or heat.
IMG_0640.jpeg

Main guest area upstairs in the lodge. Rooms are rented individually with a common shared bathroom.
IMG_0641.jpeg

Nice big room to spread out in and the beds were comfy
IMG_0642.jpeg

This was true. I turned it on and let it run 5-10 minutes before finally getting hot water.
IMG_0643.jpeg

Last edited:
And thanks for framing pics with a Waffle House sign. One of the few things I actually miss about traveling. :doh:

Yet another awesome day of riding! I can’t even begin to remember all the roads. Awesome dirt roads and amazing paved roads. Took us about 9-1/2 hours to run 200 miles. Had a nice lunch in Morganton on Hwy 60. Ran into a mess load of Army Ranger trainees and they blocked the road for close to 45 minutes. We did an out and back on Wolf Pen Gap before heading down US 129 before stopping because Daniel got a nose bleed. Fortunately it wasn’t too bad. We made it back to the Lodge at Two Wheels of Suches for a relaxing evening of rocking on the front porch and enjoying a beautiful evening!
IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0646.jpeg

Last night’s evening sky
IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0652.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

Army Rangers waiting on the trainees
IMG_0654.jpeg

Trainees getting loaded into trucks as they come huffing out of the woods with massive packs and weapons
IMG_0655.jpeg

EVERY road, paved or dirt, has a creek or river next to it here...
IMG_0656.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpeg

Decent lunch here.
IMG_0659.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0664.jpeg

IMG_0665.jpeg

We got in a few miles and were no longer on the GPS route and the road wasn’t on the map. It was getting dicey so we backtracked and routed around.
IMG_0666.jpeg

Part of Wolf Pen Gap on GA 180
IMG_0669.jpeg

Wolf Pen Gap, GA 180
IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg

IMG_0675.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0678.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the flowers in that area of the country. So pretty that they look fake.

Day three of riding and we are leaving Suches, heading East along the Northern edge of Georgia before we turn up into North Carolina to spend a few days in Franklin. Two Wheels of Suches is a cool place to stay! The weather was great as were the roads. We made another run through Wolf Pen Gap on GA 180 then ran South on US 129 a bit before cutting back into the woods. We stopped at Helton Creek Falls and did a short hike back into the woods. It is not that hot, but man was I sweating by the time we got back to the bikes! Shortly after the falls, Daniel got to do his first "official" water crossings today, crossing several large creeks and even a river. The creek crossings were easy. We did what seemed like endless miles of dirt/gravel roads. Then there was the freshly graded but muddy stuff :eek2: I didn't think that would ever end! The river crossing required us to enter, go down stream, make a hard left around a dead tree, and then climb out the far side. It was maybe 100 feet in all, all on slick rocks. At least the water was clear so we could see the big ones. We did a big loop North of Helen, Ga., through the Chattahoochee National Park. Like everything out here, it was awesome! Sometime before we stopped for lunch, we got into a quite steep, rough and eroded section of a dirt road. I was picking my way down when I heard Daniel make a loud exclamation I won't repeat and then crunching noises. I asked if he was good and he said no. He'd gone down pretty hard. I was stopped in a precarious spot, but eventually managed to get the bike stable so I could dismount and hike back up to him and Roger. It wasn't serious. He lost the front end after hitting a big rock in a rut and he and the bike took a pretty good tumble. Both were able to continue. He did get another nose bleed though, but this might have been from a mild impact because his upper lip was a bit swollen by the time we stopped for lunch. We managed to negotiate the rest of the descent and then things smoothed out. We passed some other DS riders going the opposite direction. Then we did the river crossing. I am not sure which river it was though, I think the Tallulah River on Charles Creek Road, North of US 76. Lunch was at a little place near Lake Burton. Then we started up a dirt road that looked iffy from the start and only got iffier as we climbed. We were getting whacked by branches, there was mud, it was steep, it eventually ended and we backtracked, heading into Clayton for gas before continuing. We eventually ended up in Franklin, NC. We'll be here a few days.

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0680.jpeg

It IS steeper than it looks in ALL of the pics of this trail :-P
IMG_0681.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

Pics never tell the truth!? That wood deck above us is at least another 50-60 feet higher than where we are standing and probably 100 feet behind us.
IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

Again with theh pics versus the eye... The eye easily sees these roads twisting through the woods and then they barely show up in the pics. I tried a few, but I think I am about to give up on that kind of shot.
IMG_0691.jpeg

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

Look at the previous pic. We went from that, to seeing a grader, to miles of mud like what is show below. It was slick!
IMG_0705.jpeg

One of the easy creek crossings
IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

Yes... Very steep. Had trouble getting stopped here so I could walk back up to Daniel after his get off
IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

He's back around that corner and up hill a bit. Right after that rock under my front tire, it starts going down pretty fast.
IMG_0714.jpeg

"If you were a 690 Enduro, we wouldn't be in this mess!"
IMG_0715.jpeg

He came around the right side of the image and tried to loft the front wheel over that cross rut, he landed in the next rut and knocked a big rock out of the ground. I think that is what sent his front end whacky. You can see the rock at the bottom of the pic.
IMG_0716.jpeg

All the dark spots on the road between the rock and the bike are where he and the bike were bouncing...
IMG_0717.jpeg

Not pretty, but still functional. Ironically, we just bought the fairing piece that is missing around the headlight yesterday even though we didn't need it at the time. @Pedro 2.0 was giving parts away for free and all we needed to do was pay shipping. The parts will be at the house when we get home.
IMG_0718.jpeg

My bike is sitting down there in the shade where it looks like the road ends.
IMG_0719.jpeg

The river crossing. You can see a little white rectangular sign in the background in the shadows. That was the entry point. I am standing near the exit about 20 feet out from the bank.
IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

IMG_0722.jpeg

IMG_0723.jpeg

Still happy to be here...
IMG_0725.jpeg

There was a cool breeze blowing through here that was making me SLEEPY! The food was excellent.
IMG_0726.jpeg

Another of the dead end roads that turned out to be a LOT of fun despite having to turn back.
IMG_0727.jpeg

Our digs in Franklin, NC., for the next few days.
IMG_0728.jpeg

If you can see these vids, they are on the last out/back dead end road we did. A lot of it was like this.

Last edited:
The rain finally caught up to us today. It held off all morning and we did more amazing roads on the East side of Franklin,NC. We did quite a few steep long dirt roads and were often over 4000 feet elevation. This made for some cooler temps. I saw 63 on the bike dash! We made it to the top of Wayah Bald Mountain and I survived the hike up to the lookout tower. It was a toss up between me stroking out because I’m out of shape or being driven insane by the clouds of gnats swarming our heads… After some lunch we headed NW of town on a bunch of paved backroads, and eventually started climbing to Tellico Gap from the East side. It was freshly graded dirt/gravel. About half way up it started pouring. The riding gear kept us mostly dry, but it was hard to see because it was hard to keep the visor clear. The rain didn’t last long and was apparently concentrated right where we were. After clearing Tellico Gap, we found our way to Winding Stairs and did dirt down the side of the mountain. Somewhere in all that the boss man let us drive across the bridge that was still under construction. The go around route was LONG, so that was cool! After more fun dirt we ended the day with a run up and down NC 28 between Franklin and US 19. This road has to be experienced personally as describing it is pointless. But then, that is true of so many of the roads out here. We were too tired to mess with going out for dinner and just ordered pizza.

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

Last edited:
Rich, do you recall the location of the bridge? I didn’t drop a marker on the gps and forgot what road we were on.

Day five. We are tired!! The weather was great. The roads were great. The single track through the steamy jungle was great. I fell over. Old people do that you know. Just stopped where I wanted and before I knew it the bike was past the point of no return, so I just stepped off. I guess I really just wobbled because weebles don’t fall down 😉We got out of there, navigated around another bridge being replaced and explored other dead ends. By the end of the day, our 180 mile ride had turned in 203 miles. I pity the fools that stick to the paved roads. They have no idea what they are missing.

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

Lost my balance after coming to a stop :roll:
IMG_3299.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0785.jpeg

IMG_0786.jpeg

I have a shot of Daniel just like this from the same location from our trip out here in 2019.
IMG_0788.jpeg

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

Is this related to the Dogwood trees we have in Texas?
IMG_0793.jpeg

IMG_0794.jpeg

Back