• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Two full size bikes in short bed with Travel trailer

Reaction score
So for last few years I ride up and we put just my wifes bike in the truck ( FYI she has a CDL and only Female driver for a large trucking firm )
Well due to weather issues and tornado concerns I built this 30 min contraption to get use home together . You will notice my RV has the propane tanks moved back and down . This was to allow our older truck with a 6.5' foot bed with tail gate at a angle to pivot while both bikes were in the bed .

Hit the cat scales on way home after a fill up . 13,440 pounds total . 3300 K steer , 5180 drive axle and 4960 trailer .

Fun loading this up in the rain in Eureka springs Arkansas

20240529_095524.jpg

20240528_175639.jpg

20240528_144355.jpg

20240528_143607.jpg

20240528_115523.jpg

20240528_115519.jpg

20240528_115504.jpg

Last edited:
NICE BED EXTENSION. nice looking rides .... you headed somewhere cooler?

I like the ingenuity. Necessity is the mother of invention comes to mind.

Loading and unloading looks like a pucker factor of 11 to my unexperienced in such endeavors eye.

Congrats on pulling it off in style successfully. 👍

5180lbs on the rear has to be getting darn close to the max of that truck, isn't it? Kudos on making it work, but man, that really does scream 3/4 ton territory to me. I might just be overly cautious though.

5180lbs on the rear has to be getting darn close to the max of that truck, isn't it? Kudos on making it work, but man, that really does scream 3/4 ton territory to me. I might just be overly cautious though.
I believe its over , and part of the reason it went on the scale . 3/4 ton was on the radar but we were not playing the 10 K mark up with Chevy , Wont do a alum body truck from ford , and not wanting diesel puts dodge out also . We plan to go Class C in a few years .
The Tundra out performs my old F250 from 2008 that was a gas engine . The Tundra with the large 38 g fuel tank and 4x4 crew max options is listed @ 15,110 max GCWR . Ill have to look the rear axle up later .

While Air bags do not increase load capacity the sure make ride and handling amazing . I built the bed on Orange crush seen below . Worked well for all the farm and ranch work back when my kids were young .

orange crush 2.jpg

Boys feeding at Dennis's ranch.jpg

orange crush 2.jpg

While Air bags do not increase load capacity the sure make ride and handling amazing .
I 100% agree with you there! I had airbags on my last Dodge truck and it helped that little saggy bottomed girl quite a bit. Even on my current F250, when we pull our gooseneck, it has a VERY heavy pin weight so we put Sumo Springs on it to help it out. Those are my new favorites as they don't really affect the suspension of the unloaded truck that my airbags always seemed to do.

Very nice work with a half-ton! And I fight loading 2 dirtbikes, lol! DB bars may be wider.

One says 900. That;s not a full size bike. Just kidding. I like the idea of the wood extension. I bet they are a handful to get up in there, especially for the second one going in.

One says 900. That;s not a full size bike. Just kidding. I like the idea of the wood extension. I bet they are a handful to get up in there, especially for the second one going in.
All by my little self @ 5' 1" 145 lb lol 😆
Been loading bikes for a long time .

Well spoke to toyota today . Did not exceed tow capacity or overall cargo capacity , but does appear exceeded rear axle GAWR . I doubt a distributed hitch would make enough change as this trailers tongue weight is only 464 lb . Think this might be the one and only time run like this .

Looked up several other trucks and range is 38xx to 6500 lb the higher number being 1 ton 3500 HD models .

My steer is 4000 and rear is 4100 .

IIRC, my 2018 SR5 4x4 Tundra is rated to tow 6800. Toyota just recalled 102K of the new twin turbo V6 Tundras, and Lexus LX SUVs, for rod bearings. I've heard the cab must be pulled to swap a motor. Shame the green nazis made them kill the 5.7 V8. I would have preferred a straight 6 vs a v6, but I'm not planning to let go of my Tundra, anytime soon. Some say you can't currently buy a reliable half ton, new. Nice bumper. Who makes it?

Last edited:
Well spoke to toyota today . Did not exceed tow capacity or overall cargo capacity , but does appear exceeded rear axle GAWR . I doubt a distributed hitch would make enough change as this trailers tongue weight is only 464 lb . Think this might be the one and only time run like this .

Looked up several other trucks and range is 38xx to 6500 lb the higher number being 1 ton 3500 HD models .

My steer is 4000 and rear is 4100 .
Just an FYI, you shouldn't have to speak to Toyota to figure out if you overloaded it. The sticker on the inside of the door frame will give you that info in combination with your scale ticket. If that rear axle weight is over what is on the sticker on the door frame, then it is over. If not, then you are all good.

Just an FYI, you shouldn't have to speak to Toyota to figure out if you overloaded it. The sticker on the inside of the door frame will give you that info in combination with your scale ticket. If that rear axle weight is over what is on the sticker on the door frame, then it is over. If not, then you are all good.
I did because its unclear in the manual . Toyota has passengers and luggage , and then 50 pages later cargo in bed . You add the two together .
Only overload was the rear axle . Also needed clarification on the GAWR as fond an article saying not to count truck empty weight witch was incorrect .

I did because its unclear in the manual . Toyota has passengers and luggage , and then 50 pages later cargo in bed . You add the two together .
Only overload was the rear axle . Also needed clarification on the GAWR as fond an article saying not to count truck empty weight witch was incorrect .
You can't look in the manual as the manual is for ALL Toyota [insert model here] and all trim and option levels. The only place to find this is the same place an LEO would find it and that is on the sticker inside the door. It is about as easy as it gets, the front and rear axles are listed and if you are over either one of them, then you are over. Easy as can be.

For example, here is my Ford. My rear axle as equipped can have 6340lbs on it. It doesn't matter empty, full, with a full tank, with a dog in the bed or not, it can never technically go over 6,340lbs.

F250 Weight Ratings.jpg

Now the scale ticket.... Like I said, she is VERY nose heavy. But as you can see, I've still got a whopping 240lbs to spare! This was also weighed without the motorcycles in the back. When those are loaded in the tail of the trailer, they are just aft of the rear axles so putting over 1,000lbs just behind the axles actually helps with how this thing pulls. Granted, it is built on a horse trailer chassis so that makes sense. :)

Scale Ticket.JPG

Truck Trailer.jpg

You can't look in the manual as the manual is for ALL Toyota [insert model here] and all trim and option levels. The only place to find this is the same place an LEO would find it and that is on the sticker inside the door. It is about as easy as it gets, the front and rear axles are listed and if you are over either one of them, then you are over. Easy as can be.

For example, here is my Ford. My rear axle as equipped can have 6340lbs on it. It doesn't matter empty, full, with a full tank, with a dog in the bed or not, it can never technically go over 6,340lbs.

F250 Weight Ratings.jpg

Now the scale ticket.... Like I said, she is VERY nose heavy. But as you can see, I've still got a whopping 240lbs to spare! This was also weighed without the motorcycles in the back. When those are loaded in the tail of the trailer, they are just aft of the rear axles so putting over 1,000lbs just behind the axles actually helps with how this thing pulls. Granted, it is built on a horse trailer chassis so that makes sense. :)

Scale Ticket.JPG

Truck Trailer.jpg
Toyota gives every model and configuration in the manual including if you have a moon roof , tow package , 4x4 , 5 seater or 6 , platinum , SR5 , 38 gallon fuel tank , and so on .

I'm aware of the door sill plate , but my eyes like larger print rather than that fine print .

Is that a horse trailer or toy hauler ?

Toyota gives every model and configuration in the manual including if you have a moon roof , tow package , 4x4 , 5 seater or 6 , platinum , SR5 , 38 gallon fuel tank , and so on .

I'm aware of the door sill plate , but my eyes like larger print rather than that fine print .

Is that a horse trailer or toy hauler ?
Not to be mean here, but if they do, then looking at the manual to figure all that mess out and then having to look two different places seems LOTS more difficult than just looking at one sticker on the door, but I guess to each their own. I could be wrong here, but I'd bet good money that according to the sticker on the truck you are also over your GVWR as I have not seen hardly any 1/2 tons that are in the 8,400lb range.

It is a toy hauler that is built on a horse trailer chassis. So it is all aluminum framing, even the walls are all 2" square aluminum tubing, with aluminum I-Beams every 12" on the floor, and then a single sheet of aluminum from front to back for the roof. It is also fully insulated and aluminum skinned underneath. We have stayed in it when the temps were in the teens and the only thing we used for heat were two small space heaters. She is a good little trailer.

All that being said, you figured out a way to make it happen. Good job on that. Just be very careful when going over those weights as you have to be sure that you can stop the darn thing when things go sideways in a hurry. That is the biggest thing I worry about. I see guys with half-tons pulling WAY more than that truck was ever rated for and just shake my head and move on and hope they don't end up hurting themselves or those around them.

But on that note, my trailer is hooked up to the truck right now and tomorrow morning first thing we are headed out to the mountains. Fun fun!

Nice ingenuity there to get the job done. We were in Arkansas for a rally a few weeks back where I hauled the bikes in the bed and the camper as well. My bed is a tad longer than yours but I still couldn't close the tailgate without airing down the rear tires of the bikes completely. I opted for a set of Gate King tailgate adjusters instead and they worked well. I didn't have to remove my tailgate, I retained use of the backup camera and the tailgate cleared the tongue jack on the camper with ease.

W9wNtsk.jpg

A3eYA2K.jpg

Uv3hpdd.jpg

Turning the front tires of each bike to the center of the bed where they butt up against each other often solves that problem. Might give that a try.

Back