• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Summer Time Mountain Ride

It was definitely a group effort. Stevo is right that third hand was definitely needed. We were wishing for Grape more than once, we could have used some sasquatch power. I like how you can see in the pics the water running down hill as we try to come up. It was slippery for sure. I started off standing to the side when giving a push trying to avoid the roost, at some point I gave up and just got right in behind and lifted and shoved dropping my head to avoid getting hit in the face. The next to last pick at the top in the meadow you can see my bright orange pants are not so bright anymore.

Ya'll done good! Specially that youngster. Some trails up there don't handle wet worth a hoot...looks a lot like y'all were on one of them. There's another one like that sort of between lake city and Silverton. Called pole creek. Same kind of black gumbo mud that'll lay you down quicker than Linda Lovelace. Ya'll have definitely earned your colorado single track certificate. :thumb:

We just about have this booger whooped and we know it. But we transition to the trail being hard to find at times in knee high grass. We surveyed the horizon above us for tell-tale signs of trailage and used Gary’s new Garmin Tread GPS with satellite imagery.

1721846738313.jpeg

We got back on the track….then I came up on a huge log on an incline. I knew we couldn’t move it, jump it, nor lift the bikes over while going up hill on a pretty good angle with baby heads. Sorry no pics, I was still pretty waxed. I waited for the boys while sitting on my bike scouting a work around. I rolled backwards and picked my line that involved going off track 90 degrees, up wet grass, rocks, sticks. The boys show up and I tell them the plan and the why. I climbed up the bank blazing an exit. The boys follow me. We make it without any issues. Took another break.

1721846151645.png

We finally hit some pretty flat ground and make our way through a burned out area, hopping some logs, gullies etc. I was relieved we were where we were. Appeared to be a saddle and I could see on my GPS a real road not too far and got a glimpse of a legit road in the distance visually. I was still fighting being sick but was doing slightly better.

1721846179877.png

1721846209356.png

1721846229568.png

Shortly there after, we hit a forest jeep type road. I think we were all relieved and thankful for a crappy real life road. Soak it in.

1721846838863.jpeg

1721846965329.jpeg

Both GPSs and phones showed the fastest route home was going north. We took off going several miles and eventually working down several thousand feet.

1721846258290.png

1721846281791.png

1721846300226.png

1721846325202.png

1721846356807.png

Got within 2 miles of pavement (probably 15 minutes from our cabins) and hit a locked gate. It was a blow to your spirits but since we weren’t riding as hard a track anymore, I was continuing to improve in small increments. I think less exertion, more wind in my face doing 4th and 5th gear stuff and the Gu pack/vomit pill were all helping me. I contemplated cutting barbed wire and if we ran into anyone, hopefully they didn’t shoot me and I could explain our situation. But I wasn’t nauseous or cramping anymore, just depleted. We ate some snacks, shared some water and made fun of each other to lift our spirits. We were over the hump was the feeling, just had to endure for maybe another couple of hours.

1721847062463.jpeg

1721847107632.jpeg

Sucked it up and backtracked several miles, back to the end of the single track and south this time.

1721846398000.png

1721846425554.png

Luckily at this point it pretty quickly turned to a good forest road.

1721846449140.png

1721846474312.png

And then pavement back into town. I later read that the trail we ran was often an out and back….meaning folks don’t choose to go through. You don’t say. Also read on some bicycle forum that folks start at the other end and come “down” the mountain. Hmmm. Sounds like pansy stuff, probably a yankee that wrote that stuff. What constitutes a yankee? I say anything north of the Colorado River….in Austin. Bwdmax says anyone north of I-10 ha ha!! If we had started at the other end, we would have gone down the worst of it in the dry and would have had a completely different time. If we had done the out and back….would have been cake. Or if the trail had been bone dry the entire time, still would have been hard on the upper section, but more manageable. Oh well, we survived, not sure it helps to dwell on it. Stuff happens.

1721846492796.png

No celebratory cold ones this evening. We sucked down some Gatorades and gathered around at our camp, ate supper and shared stories with the girls. Today was supposed to be about my son getting a taste of a harder trail and to see if he could handle it physically and mentally. Ended up showcasing his riding skills, can do attitude and endurance, while I dug deep to stay in the fight. And Gary certainly covered for me at times and wore himself down. One thing is certain, the future is set, I think T-rey is ready for anything we can throw at him. We only have experience and a little size on him at this point. While I licked my wounds at camp, I shifted my gaze to my old 500. Looking him over and thinking he saw more abuse/hit the ground more times today than the previous 11 years combined. And I couldn’t have been happier about it!! Well….maybe skip the flapjack part, dadgum, "that'll leave a mark".

1721847232979.jpeg

Little bit more report left to do from the trip. I’m not out of hot air yet.

1721847982420.png

No pics but Steve did caress his old 500 and whisper softly to it as he gave it a big hug.

As far a T-rey being in the league well I think it won't be long the only thing Stevo and I can offer him is a ride to the trail head. We might have a trick or two around the campfire to show but nothing as far as riding. I think i heard grumblings of an "A" team (Grape and T-rey) and a "B" team (Stevo and Gary)...Nah those young guys can just keep helping the old guys! Hopefully my son Colton can join us more too, he rode like a champ for not riding for a few years.

Won't be too long and T-Rey will be offering to ride dad's bike up the hard part for him. :D

I can't wait, I welcome that superior strength and assistance. I remember doing it for my Dad 20 years ago and I could see the pride in his face that seemed to supersede his ego and diminishing trail prowess. Everything has a season and a prime. How cool when our prime is passed down within a certain skill set. And in most cases, improved upon. I know I couldn't ride like that at 14.

1721850552458.png

I have learned to stop thinking/saying, "It can't go much further!", and, "It can't get much harder!" It ALWAYS does! :lol2:

Super cool to see your son step up to the plate and get it done! We had numerous moments on our big trip last Fall where Daniel did the same, no so much with regard to technical skills, but with regard to making sure the whole group (sister included) could get through a section so we could keep the show going. He's got an unfair advantage with regard to the technical stuff because he just doesn't know to be scared and he has the reflexes and endurance of being young ;-) He also bounces, whereas I tend to crunch... :wary:

oh man a day of days. Something must be loose in the noodle that I am broken hearted to have missed it! I have no doubt I would have been tapped and at the end of my rope as well, but man am I jealous!

I don't know about all this young guy talk... I am far nearer 50 than 14.

One day left. Let’s do something easy was the thought. Bwdmax and I studied an OHV map they give you in town and formulated a plan that involved a “moderate” 50 inch track over to a jeep road in the Beaverhead Creek area. Ok, sounds cool. We hit the trail head close to town and unloaded.

1721911488081.jpeg

My middle daughter Abby had been fighting a fever most of the week and was only able to ride for one day in Sipapu. So we went out without her, again :-(. We weren’t sure if it was altitude or just plain ol plague stuff. At this point, we are chalking it up to plague, I don’t think altitude can make you run a 102. So it was me, my oldest daughter Emma, Trey, Mrs. KsTeveM and Mr./Mrs. Bwdmax. Right off the rip, trail was pretty aggressive for quads. Bwdmax was helping Mrs. Bwdmax with her quad and hiking back and forth, dealing with his bike on ledges and had some good drops and was getting taxed. I was unaware and up the trail, helping my clan on some other obstacles. I should have kept us tighter, sorry Garbear!! Pic I took from up above looking back down the valley, you can see big red’s lights center frame.

1721912216961.jpeg

Bwdmax was smoked already, off to a bad start, with a loop out to boot. Helping others, himself and the previous day’s effects were taxing him. I eventually rode back down the trail to survey the scene, he was recovering and had their two bikes positioned to proceed. We pushed forward.

1721912712685.jpeg

1721912793688.jpeg

Eventually we get the group back together and took a good break when the trail poked out in a meadow at higher elevation.

1721912908572.jpeg

We contemplated turning around as this was a little more aggressive than the group wanted or expected. It was decided the group would pause and let my son and I continue up the trail with a head start. The idea being if it got too bad, we would back track and turn the group around before it got out of hand. Sounded good, right?

1721911177435.png

The steep off camber ledgy stuff was over and we were doing a mix of Aspen tunnels and some climbs here and there. It was turning into cool riding.

1721911200652.png

But…..a little further in, some steep rocky sections were creeping back into the fold, some a little worse….some a little longer. But after yesterday I wasn’t waiting much for my boy anymore, dude can ride. But I got to a spot I wanted to take a breather, no wingman. He shows up eventually and I asked what was the hold up, he said he crashed and took pics for me. That a boy!!

1721913048324.jpeg

The two of us regroup and keep going. Again, I lose my wingman. He took pics again but was stranded. I walk back down the trail a ways. Me—I say, I say, whatcha doin down there son? Chickenhawk—my bike won’t start.

1721913272768.jpeg

Well on that crash, he managed to wedge into a stick/log and when he dragged it clear, he ripped the starter button wires in half on the bars. I came back and kicked started it (Trey—oh it has a kick start too?). I rode it to level ground and then got the tool kit off his bike and spliced it together. I’m trying to learn him.

1721913350548.jpeg

Meanwhile everyone shows up except for Bwdmax. Apparently he was having a spa day down below. I sent Trey walking back down the trail to find him. He said he found him staring off in the distance murmuring something about 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 while sitting on his bike’s skid plate, as it was facing down hill on it’s side. Trey got his firing order back online and the pair righted it again, like they had done plenty of times the day before together. The group was getting a little frazzled.

1721913657780.jpeg

1721913480860.jpeg

But in the middle of it, I couldn’t help but be proud of my oldest daughter Emma as she was managing all of it on a KLX140L and was just getting it done. I gave her a fist bump and said “dang, who taught you to ride like that girl?” It was impressive that I wasn’t having to focus on her at all, I kept to scouting the trail and helping others. Quietly being self sufficient on a rough trail. Legend.

1721913188609.jpeg

We studied the map and assured some folks with bewildered looking eyes that we probably only have one more tricky section to get off this 50” track.

1721913723360.jpeg

Decent downhill, some exposure, some off camber, always more intensified on a quad. Steady as we go, a little coaching here and there along with some rock placement. We got this.

1721911233374.png

1721911257552.png

1721911290623.png

1721913808423.jpeg

1721914269650.jpeg

1721914014130.jpeg

The rest of the day we kept to Jeep type roads. They were rough/rocky at times but the fear factor was down and it was much more enjoyable for all.

1721911324818.png

1721916204915.png

1721914407115.jpeg

1721914539377.jpeg

Eventually came down from on high and paralleled a beautiful lake for a bit as we made our way back to the truck at the trail head.

1721911344686.png

Went back to our cabin and got all packed up to head home the next day. Grilled up some sausage and hot dogs at our little outdoor hangout and then some of us got in the hot tub. There was some Smores action as well on this trip a couple times….but I don’t like marshmallows. But they were doing deluxe ones with peanut butter cups. What? That was new to me. So….if you are careful and concentrate, you can grill a gram cracker and a peanut butter cup without the mallowmash. Not a bad way to wrap up a trip!

1721914775964.jpeg

?hash=ea831f5d774f57e519ec66f3c4279b37.jpg

And that’s that. Other than my truck losing the clutch master cylinder semi-close to home, this trip went pretty dang well. Enjoyed some good camping and riding in the Sangre De Cristos. Moved camp to experience the San Juans in a new zone. We made some good memories with close family and friends. Mission accomplished. Some take-aways—4 year old 6 ply tires with a pretty good load are probably not going to make a 2000 mile trip. Phoenix Clutch—where I bought my new Ram clutch and hydraulics 2 months ago….they are trying to make things right, sending me a metal master hydraulic slave kit at no charge (better part?) and crediting my card $250 for my troubles….stuff happens and I think that says a lot about a company in this day and age that they went there all on their own without any pressure applied. Tim Horton coffee from HEB is pretty good stuff, coming from a guy that typically hates coffee. Heineken Zero non-alcohol beer isn’t too bad. Coors Light consumed in the Rockies is better. South Fork is cool and needs more investigation. 13/52 gearing was spot on for single trackin it. Bwdmax’s vomit pills are both good and bad. GU pack strawberry banana is a winner. Ten year old Globetrottin KTM rack can take a beating. Gaerne Fastback Enduro boots are a really good enduro boot that don’t kill your feet to walk in them. Bwdmax’s Stanley Classic Travel French Press mug was impressive and a must have (on order). And, I love my friends and family. Till next time…..

1721911078908.png

Attachments

• 1721914111580.jpeg
    1721914111580.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 1721914645415.jpeg
    1721914645415.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 96
Well narrated and authored by @KsTeveM. Definitely made good memories with family and friends. As usual Stevo did the upfront planning and I just got to swoop in and enjoy the ride. It was great to see the Grapes and spend some time with them along with my son and daughter-in-law. My crew was not as well adjusted to mountain riding as Stevo's but everyone was patient and we all worked together to keep things going. I never heard anyone complain Abby with the plague, Emma riding outside her comfort zone, and Trey aka (Crash McGillicuddy, or Rooster) waiting on old guys and always itching for something to do. Mrs. KsTeveM, and Mrs. Bwdmax enduring Stevo and I sharing one brain. As to my vomit pills (nuun tablets) are an electrolyte you dissolve in water, I don't like to put them in my hydration bladder so I will just suck or chew them up and drink plenty of water with it. It isn't always pleasant but you should have seen Stevo light up after the fact. I will definitely gear down and swap tires next time i know I'm headed for true single track.

Attachments

• 1721920018633.png
    1721920018633.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
13/52 gearing made my old 530 EXC a mountain climbing beast! Of course I could barely manage 55 mph without rapping out the engine! First gear was almost pointless except for good engine braking at low speeds. For more reasonable stuff, I usually ran 14/45 or 14/48.

I typically run 14/50 for dual sport and 13/50 if I’m expecting more technical stuff thrown into a ride, like the Utah stuff I’ve done. But my XCFW came with 13/52 and I enjoy it when doing more gnarly single track type stuff. I was loving that first gear last week when the going was tough. That bike is 229 dry, with that gearing it felt almost trials like compared to my 2014 500 with big desert attire. I ran 14/48 for one dual sport ride on my 500 as an experiment a couple years ago, that was pretty cool for gravel travel in Texas. Cool versatile machines for sure.

Well I’d like to thank everyone who was concerned about the banana. She is ready to head back to the mountains.
IMG_8243.jpeg

It seems this fuse is not electrically compromised but mechanically compromised.
IMG_8246.jpeg

The contact post on the right is pushed up at the moment and you can see it is broken at the contact on the left. This is the state when you push it in the fuse holder. When you pull it out of the fuse holder the right post slides down making contact with the left post and ohms good. Push it back in the fuse holder and it opens. I got a wiring diagram today took less than five minutes with the diagram and multimeter…
IMG_8247.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8247.jpeg
    IMG_8247.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 12
What a great report Steve. It looks like you all had a great time. I am anxious to get up there myself. I'll be sure to angle up through Taos so I can tell George Clooney a few things.

and Gary, it's true. you make McGyver look like an amateur. Example, that starting problem on the Green River.

Back