• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Returning to work after an Alaska Cruise.

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
Gotta pay for it some way. Before I go back to work to pay for the cruise, here are a few from my camera from the cruise and a car ride around Canada and Washington.
We had a day before the cruise took off, so we did a little sightseeing. This lovely waterfall was only about a mile down the trail. Notice the glacial water with ground up rock so fine that it will not settle out until much further downstream.
1723844494546.png

Two of our nieces that came along for the ride.
IMG_1698.JPG

Melissa sitting under a cedar tree that was manipulated, either by humans or by nature, many many years ago. Judging by its symmetry and location in Vancouver, I'm guessing it was manipulated by humans.
IMG_1591.JPG

A little whitewater rafting. This was the most exciting part.
IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

We stopped in this narrow channel, and I got this picture from our balcony. I love Alaska cruises
IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

At first, I worried about this bare footed little boy making his way across a cold stream, but he obviously has more years of experience than I have.
IMG_1852.JPG

He and his sister made it safely back across and played in the water while I stood in awe of this beautiful three tiered waterfall.
1723851832668.png

There was a language barrier between my wife and these boys. The barrier was, she spoke and they were not talking.
IMG_1909.JPG

This looked like an easy hike.
IMG_1967.JPG

It looked pretty too.
IMG_1972.JPG

It got steep.
IMG_1984.JPG

6 1/2 hours later we were turned around by snow cover and time. We made it past this one, but the one on the other side of the pass was massive. Pretty good for a two-year-old hip.
IMG_1992.JPG

Time to load up the desk and go to work. Linda and I got back to Texas with only a couple of days for me to rest and get to Littleton, Colorado to work. Maurice and I loaded up and drove. Here we are in front of a friend's house in Monument, Colorado. We're waiting for him to come home from work so we can mooch a free dinner from him.
IMG_2003.JPG

Attachments

• 1723848053769.png
    1723848053769.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    995.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1723847178245.jpeg
    1723847178245.jpeg
    925.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Are you holding sign

"Will show pix for food"
He's a roadracing buddy from way back in the early '90s. He's the one that was smart enough to quit racing after he got out of med school. All three of us sat around the dinner table and told racing stories. The two not talking acted like they believed the story being told. :trust: :trust: :trust: Actually, he had a great story. He and his wife hit a bear while riding double on his 1290 KTM. He broke several hand and feet bones as well as some ribs. The bear and Greg's wife made a squashed sandwich out of him. Several days were spent in the ICU. His beautiful wife also has surgery scars on both knees, as well as other injuries. The steering head, forks and front wheel were ripped from the bike. The bear was KIA which the ER doctor explained was a very good thing because a mad, hungry bear is not a good thing to have around when you can't use your legs or hands. Several items of apparel were also destroyed, including both helmets, gloves and his boots. They are both former Airforce pilots and they were coming home from a reunion. Unfortunately, they were wearing flight suits for the reunion which offered very little protection.

His name is Greg. We recounted how he was stopped for a "Display of Speed" ticket while coming to my shop around 1990. He made it to my parking lot and I believe the officer was talked out of giving him a ticket by Greg and my employees. He was on a stock YSR 50, but he's an excellent stand-up wheelie rider. We had lots to talk about.

Maurice also had a good story to tell. He married Mellisa between turns 2 and 3 at Texas World Speedway one Saturday morning about 25 years ago. I was at the wedding. After the ceremony, the newlyweds, other teammates and I headed to the hot pits because our six-hour endurance race was about to start, and we had to clear the track. I think we were riding an FZR-600, but I don't remember how we finished. The newlyweds should have gotten some kind of trophy, especially Mellisa. After the race, we all went to the reception.

I had no good stories to tell.:-(:-(:-(:-(

When Greg quit spending money on motorcycles, he had enough money to buy this house. Until we got to his house, he had not ridden a motorcycle since killing the bear. Maurice, always the good salesman, convinced him to test ride several CFMOTOs that weekend.
IMG_2006.JPG

Let the work begin. Unloading office supplies.
IMG_2007.JPG

There are three kinds of dealers in my opinion, run by enthusiasts, run as an efficient corporation and various combinations of the first two. This was one of the efficient corporations. They were very well prepared, with plenty of advertisements and incentives. We did over 130 demo rides on Friday and Saturday and I believe they sold seven bikes in those two days
IMG_2008.JPG

Everything inside was neat and tidy, including this electric Indian.
IMG_2016.JPG

We had three Lead/Chase riders, so I stuck around long enough to get the bikes lined up Friday morning and talk to the dealer staff. Pikes peak was calling me. Highway 67 along a river is one of my favorite leisure rides in Colorado. Part of my route included this dirt road with a 15% grade for several miles. I love signs that say, "No trailers or motorhomes recommended beyond this point."
IMG_2018.JPG

The last time I rode down this road, it had been recently graded and has about 2" of gravel on top. This time was easier.
IMG_2019.JPG

The prize at the end of the dirt or the end of the fun stuff, according to your riding preferences.
IMG_2020.JPG

It's like this nearly all the way to Manitou Springs, the start of the road up Pikes Peak.
IMG_2024.JPG

My wife wants me to stop typing and go to the gym with her. In my best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression, "I'll be back."

I found this site when searching for parts for one of my bikes. Enjoy the page and look forward to saturdays email of posts. This is like 5 miles from my house. Not sure I could live in Texas due to the heat and snakes... I hate snakes and scorpions from hanging in the desert... I live up on the Olympic Peninsula and its every bit as beautiful as the pics above show it to be. I did meet a Texan that had just moved up here and he described it as a Bob Ross painting everywhere you looked.. Have a great day.

Attachments

• 396413670_10228656252964590_7702247005104108414_n.jpg
    396413670_10228656252964590_7702247005104108414_n.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 27
I found this site when searching for parts for one of my bikes. Enjoy the page and look forward to saturdays email of posts. This is like 5 miles from my house. Not sure I could live in Texas due to the heat and snakes... I hate snakes and scorpions from hanging in the desert... I live up on the Olympic Peninsula and its every bit as beautiful as the pics above show it to be. I did meet a Texan that had just moved up here and he described it as a Bob Ross painting everywhere you looked.. Have a great day.
I went to the peninsula a couple of years ago and camped in the HOH rain forest for seven days. It didn't rain on me, except at night when I was in my tent. The beaches were the highlight for me, but it would be hard to find an ugly spot.

Agreed, Its nice. Left Montana for work in So.Cal and moved here for family. Never disappointed.

Attachments

• 452753994_365510663239858_2338949292175712049_n.jpg
    452753994_365510663239858_2338949292175712049_n.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 25
I stopped for a soda at a McDonalds in Manitou Springs. It was hot and the sun was shining. I could not see the top of Pike's Peak because a very dark cloud was completely covering it. Lightening was visible about every 10 seconds. My desire to ride up was greatly diminished. Here's a pic from earlier years. Much earlier.
1723916739866.png

I decided to go visit my mother at mile marker 65 on Independence Pass. My 150-mile ride had suddenly changed to a 465-mile ride. I had lost my phone the day before I left on this trip, so I was using paper maps and my tank bag GPS.
IMG_2430.JPG

By the way, they include a waterproof cover when you buy a tank bag. The reason they include it is negated if you don't bother taking it on trips. I know. I also know my tank bag is becoming elderly.

I saw these bikes evenly spaced along this fence. I counted 110, but I'm sure I missed a couple while going slowly down the highway and constantly checking my mirror. They are along highway 24 west of Woodland Park.
IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

Here's where my mom lives. She always loved my pictures, but high blood pressure caused her to have intense headaches at anything over 6,000 feet. This is her request.
IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

Even Highway 285 can be beautiful, although this might be along Highway 9. My camera says it was taken on May 8th. It wasn't, and you can tell it wasn't taken at 12:51 AM like my camera says. I believe it is along 285.
IMG_2051.JPG

For my friends Mark Tuttle and Ryan Smith. They both know why. The rest of you will have to submit a "Need to Know" application before any further top secret information will be forthcoming. A liquor store in Alma, Colorado.
IMG_2052.JPG

For those of you that are very familiar with Colorado, I'm sure you have noted the large gaps in miles between pictures. It's for three reasons. This is my 47th trip to Colorado, this portion was unplanned, so time is short, and it rained quite a bit on this ride. Since leaving Manitou Springs, I have traveled 24, 285, 82, 91, 6 and 9 to Buena Vista, Aspen, Leadville, Frisco, Silverthorn, Breckenridge, Alma, and Fairplay. I have traveled 387 miles, and it is 78 miles back to my hotel. I took 285 back to Littleton where I was met, just after dark, in front our hotel by two co-workers concerned that I was lost without a phone. Maurice was not concerned because he has been lost with me many times.

Attachments

• IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
By the way, Swan Mountain Road is a wonderful back road between Highway 6 and Highway 9 on the south side of Dillon Lake.

I worked most of Saturday and Maurice and I headed to Wyoming on Sunday morning. We drove my van and pulled the trailer. We stopped for gas and lunch in a very small town called Chugwater. There's a soda fountain there that has been in business so long that it has become famous. They have four of the old fashion milkshake machines and while we were eating, at least one was in use at all times. All four were busy at times. In 1947 this deer was killed by a local hunter. The head was too large for his house, so he donated it to the local soda fountain. It's still hanging there, and the local council has made it illegal for anyone to remove it from the building.
IMG_2053.JPG

We had four days between jobs and decided to head to Sturgis. It was the week before the rally started so there were rooms available as long as we stayed 50+ miles away. There were quite a few early arrivals for the rally staying in our motel and I was surprised that our trailer was the only one in the parking lot. We got to Custer early and took a short ride. Maurice had not been to Montana before, and I was surprised that he didn't show any interest in going into Mt. Rushmore or Crazy Horse. The view from the highway was enough for him.
Along the highway.
IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

A profile of George, also along the highway.
IMG_2060.JPG

Mo going through one of the tunnels along Iron Mountain. Mt Rushmore is behind me.
IMG_2081.JPG

I think this is along the Needles Highway. It's getting late and we barely get back to the motel before the pool closes at 10:00. Smoke from a Canadian forest fire is all around us.
IMG_2086.JPG

Nice parking area close to the Needle formation.
IMG_2092.JPG

Why the highway is called the Needle Highway.
IMG_2094.JPG

Monday, we had breakfast at the motel and discussed where we were going. Devils Tower was a little over 100 miles away, so we decided to see why the Native Americans found it so fascinating. Smoke from a fire around Jasper in Alberta, Canada was significant all the time we were in Wyoming.
IMG_2098.JPG

Devils tower rises 1,280 feet above the surrounding ground. It was first climbed in 1893 by a local rancher that drove wooden pegs into cracks to use as a ladder. Today, it is a climbing Mecca.
A little closer so there is less smoke between the camera and the rock.
IMG_2103.JPG

Indians still perform ceremonies at the tower and leave trinkets and prayer towels tied to trees.
IMG_2108.JPG

A last look from above the trees before we head back towards Sturgis itself.
IMG_2112.JPG

We rode Spearfish canyon on our way to Sturgis. I have ridden it before, and I know there are at least 3 waterfalls along the canyon. We saw this small one. Too much beer with lunch has affected our vision.
IMG_2113.JPG

Spearfish Creek runs alongside the highway through Spearfish Canyon.
IMG_2115.JPG

We stopped for gas at a convenience store in Sturgis. Our decision on which store was partly based on sculptures around this store.
IMG_2126.JPG

The artist had access to lots of farm machinery.
IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

We rode through Custer State Park in hopes of seeing their large herd of Bison, but this lone bull and a couple of other singles were all we saw as the sun was going down. We didn't get back to the motel until 10:00, so no hot tub tonight.
IMG_2135.JPG

Last edited:
Just like any job, it's the bosses and coworkers expecting you to do the job you were hired to do that create all the problems. :-)
Yes, I understand that. Just poking you a bit. I have worked for myself from a home based office for over thirty years. Everyone is always telling me "that must be awesome." It is awesome and I have been extremely blessed to be able to do so. My biggest issue is still my boss. :doh:

Yes, I understand that. Just poking you a bit. I have worked for myself from a home based office for over thirty years. Everyone is always telling me "that must be awesome." It is awesome and I have been extremely blessed to be able to do so. My biggest issue is still my boss. :doh:
SWMBO or other

I was poking back. One of my favorite quotes is, "I was looking for work until I found this job."

Mo and I decided to ride back through Custer State Park the next day during the daylight hours. Yesterday we saw a few antelopes, prairie dogs and lone buffalos.
Lone buffalos one day and they multiplied overnight.

The next morning there were buffalo everywhere.

IMG_2143.JPG

Prairie dogs were also abundant, although much more wary than the bison.
IMG_2144.JPG

There is a large herd of feral donkey left over from a herd that used to carry tourists. Unlike the bison and other wild animals, they encourage you to feed the donkeys nutritious food, like the kind they sell. Money everywhere.
IMG_2148.JPG

Mama and child.
IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

We just had a short ride on Tuesday, loaded up and headed back to Ft. Collins so we could ride Poudre Canyon tomorrow before starting back to work the next day.
They cut down trees in SD to create a view of Mt Rushmore.
IMG_2155.JPG

We spent the night in Ft Collins and met up with an MSF friend of Maurice. We met at the local Yamaha shop, but just before we arrived, they got a phone call saying they could return to their home that they had to evacuate because of fires. They went home and we went for a ride and waited. 

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

Walden, at the west end of Poudre Canyon is the moose viewing capital of Colorado.
IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

We ate lunch at the Four Winds Pizza. We had sandwiches instead of pizza. The sliced ham and turkey on my club sandwich was piled at least 1" thick. It became my lunch and my dinner. I didn't take a lot of pictures because I thought I would return later the next week. I thought wrong.
Pine beetles have wreaked devastation.
IMG_2164.JPG

I think they may have started Mt Rushmore in Poudre Canyon before moving it to Sturgis.
IMG_2167.JPG

Poudre Canyon follows this creek for much of its length.
IMG_2170.JPG

Mo shooting a bow in Medicine Bow National Forest.
IMG_2176.JPG

He should stick to things he is better qualified to do.
1724016908987.png

Back to the Van and on to Cheyenne, WY. Ready to unload on Thursday. They told me I had to work all three days in Cheyenne, or my pay would be reduced. I have to do it to pay for that cruise to Alaska. Did you know you can get a shot of whisky on a cruise ship at 6:00 AM? Eggs and Whisky for days on end. I'll probably have to adjust tire pressure on one of the free bikes they will loan me to ride. Sheesh, the horrors of working.

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 17
Also, Poudre Canyon. We did an out and back route due to time restraints. When we got back, the van side door was open. My forgetfulness is getting worse. Nothing was missing even though we had been admonished the night before to make sure we locked up everything in the motel parking lot.
IMG_2174.JPG

We went to work in Cheyenne early Thursday morning and finished unloading and setting up around 2:00. We tried to get our co-workers to go on a ride with us, but they refused. We headed west from Cheyenne on Happy Jack Road. In Laramie we continued west on 130 which is also called Snowy Range Road.
There are a few pretty lakes along the way.
IMG_2182.JPG

It's been 25 years since my friend, Ryan Smith, died at Texas World Speedway. His number was 19. It is getting a little scary how often I run into something that is numbered 19.
IMG_2183.JPG

Two more of his friends recently saw this sign at the Moto America races at COTA.
1724043857936.png

Ryan, if you are trying to tell us something, I hope we figure it out before you get too frustrated.
1724043805324.png

Another pretty lake.
IMG_2185.JPG

No Camping?????
IMG_2189.JPG

Maurice and his fine Suzuki.
IMG_2198.JPG

This observation platform is designed to look like it was built by the CCC, but it was built in 1961.
IMG_2199.JPG

The Snowy Range Road is closed in the winter due to harsh weather and deep snow. The trees show evidence of how harsh the wind can be. this view is from the observation deck.
IMG_2202.JPG

Side view of a nearby grove.
IMG_2203.JPG

JEEZE, you got lucky about that van door!

To me, what’s nice is that a friend is remembered 25 years later.

Keep telling us about these long, hard work days you’re putting in.

Work day. We got up early. The dealer opened at 9:00 so we got there at 8:00, hoping someone would be there so we could get the bikes lined up and the registration desk up and running before 9:00. To our surprise, the bikes were already lined up and ready to go. We had a little bit of touch up cleaning to do and of course tire pressure checking. Remember the three types of dealers, corporate, enthusiast and a combination of those two. Well, this dealership is the best of both worlds. The owner is a motorhead, but he hires enthusiasts that are also as efficient as a well-run big corporation. Because they had done most of my set-up work, I had time to visit with several employees and take a few pictures.
The owner had just purchased these two bikes the day before we got there. They are going into his personal collection.
IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

Not to be outdone by Indian, CFMOTO has their own electric bike.
IMG_2208.JPG

I mentioned to the owner that I saw quite a few customers with Colorado Plates and his reply was, "We have a lot of customers from Colorado because we don't have bull**** fees. No freight and no assembly fees." While we were there, he had several signs stating that all CFMOTOs, except 450cc models, were on sale for dealer invoice. I happen to know that CFMOTO had a dealer rebate and that was the profit margin.
IMG_2210.JPG

They are also a Royal Enfield dealer with around 30 bikes in stock.
IMG_2213.JPG

Part of the owner's collection was on the showroom floor.
A nice Honda with a Yamaha Venture Royale behind it.
IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

A Norton marking its spot.
IMG_2217.JPG

This is the owner's pride and joy, a nice Hesketh. Saturday, the owner drove a vintage Rolls Royce Ghost to work.
IMG_2220.JPG

We spent the night in the company supplied hotel and the next morning Maurice headed home while I headed west.

Back