• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom Tech Day in Arlington 2/17/07

Reaction score
Re: February V-strom Project Day 2/17/07

Hood Ornament said:
Well, I'm out now. Have to work today. :angryfire
You are missing out on THE Monster Garage session!
Coming to you live, from Bill's V-Monster Garage....... :mrgreen:

(hint: how many does it take to change a Wee-strom chain.....)

TexasShadow said:
(hint: how many does it take to change a Wee-strom chain.....)

Six. One to hold the wrench, four to spin the bike, and one to take pictures.

Well guys, I just wanted to say thanks for coming out. It was a whole heck of a lot of fun having this many bikes over at once. I'm sure others will chime in with photos and stories, or maybe we should start a thread in Story Telling. But anyway, I'm going to take a shower and go to bed. Tomorrow is my first "off" day with nothing to do in over 20 days.

Oh yeah, and today will forever be known as the "Ducati Incident of 07 Day". I almost cried when it happened. It really was a very sad day. I'm sure someone has pics of it.

please god tell me you are jokeing.. he didnt drop that thing did he???

stinky93071 said:
please god tell me you are jokeing.. he didnt drop that thing did he???
I'm not at liberty to say. You must wait for one of the involved parties to bring it up. But it was a very sad day today.

On a side note, I got to test ride a Motard!!!!! That thing is a HUGE trouble makin' bike. It would be sooo much fun on the city streets, but anyone that rides those on the interstate has some giant ..... well, you know.

BTW, thanks Chris for letting me ride the little DRZ. That is a cool little bike.:rider:

Bill and Melanie hosted a second Tech Day for the V-Strom crown at their palatial mansion in south-cantral Arlington. They are terrific hosts! :thumb: (you know it's going to be a good day when you arrive at 8:45 AM and the grill is already smoking!) :mrgreen:

There were a bunch of V-Stroms but some visits by various European bike owners spiced up the place, including Italian, German, and British bikes.

The last tech day was tagged "Heated Grips Day" and this one will probably be "Chain Day" as three bikes had their chains redone.

List of attendees:
Bill, (DFW_Warrior), Arlington, Suzuki DL1000
Melanie (screen name?), Arlington, Suzuki SV650
Pat (coupe930), Bartonville, Suzuki DL1000
Drew (Drewcati), Weatherford, red Ducati 998
Mike (kellerite), Keller, Suzuki DL650
Brad (jbh), Fort Worth, Suzuki DL650
Stephen (Yeeha! Stephen), Bedford, BMW 1150 RT
Rebecca (Squeaky), Houston, Suzuki DL1000
Chris (DancesWithCurves), Richardson, Suzuki DRZ-SM
Elzi (TexasShadow), Azle, Suzuki DL650
Bill (Wasabi), Arlington, Suzuki DL1000
Chris (stinky93071), Red Oak, Triumph ST
Graeme (Calgary-Yogi), Houston, Suzuki DL650
Chuck (Gilk51), Arlington, Suzuki DL650
Ron (Texastan), Forney, Suzuki DL650
Nick (???), Arlington, Honda Magna

I am assuming other folks will chime in with what they did. Several just helped out and/or watched. (and ate, too!)

Here is what I did - I ordered speed bleeders from http://www.speedbleeder.com/ and got the recommended 7mm (SB7100) version, however the SB7100S is a bit shorter and better matches the OEM bleeder screw. They worked great, though, but only on the two front calipers! :doh:

I found out that the rear caliper uses a 8mm screw which, of course, I didn't have but confirmed that that was the size from the size gauge that I also ordered. So Triumph Chris gave Drew and I a lesson on how to bleed brakes the old fashioned way (I had never done it either way). Thanks, Chris. :thumb:

I had ordered two new Michelin Anakees at Cycle Gear's recent sale and brought them with me. Bill was kind enough to offer to do them and I now have two new tires. Bill is very proficient with his Harbor Freight changer & they really didn't take very long at all. I owe ya, Bill!
2thumbs.gif

I think Graeme worked on all three chain replacements, starting with his own. Both Pat and I had done one before so we were able to remember most of how to use the MotionPro chain kit. Ron and Elzi benefited from Graeme's OJT...

Rebecca spent a lot of time working on her bike but didn't get everything done that she wanted to but accomplished several things. I'm sure there will be several folks with anecdotes about her trials and tribulations...

I'll have some pictures later on. A very productive day! Thanks again, Bill and Melanie! :clap:

Last edited:
"Ducati Incident of 07 Day"!!!!!!

Guys and Gals, thanks for coming out and having fun with us. We really do enjoy doing the tech days. So here's my things I can hold over peoples heads now. But I won't post any names so no one knows who did what.

Rusty, rusty chain.
Oil spraying a plenty.
What wheel spacer, we don't need those.
Was that a Ducati mirror.... nah.
Who needs a license plate, they're overrated anyway.
You sure do like to grease another man's axle.

You are all welcome back here anytime. I really did have a blast today. Oh yeah and thanks to Elzi for my kick butt shirt and Melanie's new gloves.And thanks to Rebbecca for the disc lock, and the awesome lubing of my garage floor. Now my floor doesn't squeak anymore!:lol2: Thanks again for coming over everyone.

It was good meeting everyone and I really appreciated the hospitality and the oversight of the people that knew what they were doing. Specifically I wanted to thank Graeme (even if he is not from Texas) for walking me through the chain and sprocket job.

I can't make it tomorrow but will be watching the board for the next event.

Take care

Ron

Sounds like you all had fun! I'm sure I'll here the Ducati story on Monday night at our regular gathering with Squeaky and Graeme. :popcorn:

I had a good time, some nice bikes today. Love the sound of that Ducati twin. My work was minimal, raising the fork tubes 15mm. It did not seem quite as scary on the highway with the massive crossinds today after the adjustment, it seemed worse coming over before the adjustment. It does not make the bike 200 pounds heavier with a lower profile, but it does seem to help a little so far.

A few photos...

Early in the morning, the early bird bike line-up:
front_2183q.jpg

Elzi shows off her new Ducati... ;-)
elzi_duc_2184q.jpg

OK, it really belonged to Drew
drew_2185q.jpg

I wanted to show my son the Tech emblem, but this also is evidence for the "before" picture
tech_2186q.jpg

Rebecca was madly looking for her cap when faced with having her picture taken... I took that as a challenge... :trust:
rebecca_2189q.jpg

I was trying to document her broken engine guard that she found when taking the guard off. Bill welded it back together
broken_2190q.jpg

Warrior Bill also fixed a rack for Wasabi Bill but I didn't get a picture of that...

Some of the on-lookers just outside the garage - Chris (DancesWithCurves) and Drew (Drewcati)
chris_drew_2193q.jpg

Chain gang - Graeme inspects the box while Pat pysches himself up...
chain_2194q.jpg

The line of bikes from Bill and Melanie's yard
bikes_2195q.jpg

Graeme's callsign on his heat shield (Squeaky had hers on her cowling)
yogi_2196q.jpg

Bikes and activities from another angle
bikes_2198q.jpg

bikes_2199q.jpg

Mike (kellerite) geared up and ready to go.
mike_2200q.jpg

mike_2201q.jpg

"You won't believe what happened today!!!"
drew_2202q.jpg

Ron trotted in from Forney, braving the wind
ron_2203q.jpg

A bikeless visitor that Bill was trying to locate information to his owner. Yes, Bill is a dog person.
bill_dog_2204q.jpg

(I didn't find out what actually happened to the dog, however)

Sorry, I missed some other folks - hope some other cameras got 'em...

Last edited:
True Confessions of an Idiot

"The Ducati incident", from the assailant's perspective.

I showed up with a 400cc Suzuki and left with a Ducati 998...
Ducati998R-HI.jpg

...mirror in my tailbag.

I almost didn't get to change my CS sprocket, but Chuck had the socket that I, because I am stupid, just ASSUMED Bill had. (Thanks, Chuck!)

So after "we" changed the sprocket (Bill basically did the work while I watched), I felt Bill was entitled to the test ride he perhaps only jokingly requested. Before fetching his gear he says, "Wanna ride a V-Strom?" so I figure, why not? What could possibly be the harm in that? [OMINOUS SFX 1]

The big Strom has the Sir Mix-A-Lot "Baby Got Back" panniers attached and is VERY snugly nestled between the only two bikes that are NOT equipped to be dropped or flipped. The prettiest bikes: Mel's SV and the Drewcati. Bill has already warned me: "Be careful, those bags are huge". [OM. SFX 2] "Want me to take 'em off?"

The next words out of my mouth sealed my fate, and should probably be added to the list of Famous Last Words:
"It's okay, I've ridden a Goldwing." [OM. SFX 3]

Apparently such idiotic phrases backwash into your head and wipe out short-term memory, because I just pulled out like there were no bikes near me. Something catches the torquey Strom, and as I look over my shoulder quizzically, [SLOW-MO, THUMPING HEARTBEAT SFX] I see the left mirror in mid-air and watch it hit the ground. I stop.

:headbang:

Andrew is nice enough not to beat the ever living carp out of me. In fact everyone is entirely too polite about my stupidity, so I step in on their behalf.

The better options were:
(1) "No thanks, though I shall try a Strom someday."
(2) "Yeah, I probably shouldn't ride it with the bags on."
(3) Stay straight ahead for an extra foot when pulling out.
(4) Have Bill pull it out for me. (Wait, I should rephrase that...)

The worse options were:
(1) The mirror glass shatters when it hits the ground.
(2) I hit the Duc even harder, and it goes down on one side or the other.
(3) My path of destruction reaches multiple bikes.

Once everyone talks me off the ledge, we can laugh about it. Uncomfortably at first, but nothing punctuates a tech day like a really good, embarrassing story -- and it was going to take something dramatic like this to de-emphasize the axle-greasing antics of earlier in the day. (Such a bunch of dirty minds, this lot!)

Insult to injury: Andrew and I were heading back the same way, so we left together. By this time, it's dark. When you're following a slowpoke on a 'tard in the right lane of every freeway between Arlington and Farmers Branch, it sure would be nice to have a left mirror when said 'tard waits until the last second to decide to pass an even slower poke. :doh: And since I always go East on 635 from I-35, I had no idea the Westbound 635 exit was gonna be a LEFT EXIT. So that was probably a bit hairy.

I still feel like I shaved an eyebrow off the Mona Lisa, but I will concede that I was very lucky considering how stupid I was. Regardless, I am typing this from work on this beautiful Sunday (to pay for my stupidity) while you are all likely out enjoying this beautiful weather. So have another laugh -- it's on me. ;)

Re: True Confessions of an Idiot

DancesWithCurves said:
"The Ducati incident", from the assailant's perspective.

Regardless, I am typing this from work on this beautiful Sunday (to pay for my stupidity) while you are all likely out enjoying this beautiful weather. So have another laugh -- it's on me. ;)
:clap: :clap: Chris, excellent assailant's report :)

But don't be too hard on yourself; we've all been there at one time or another (some more than once).

But I have to report to you, that from now on, you are known as
"Dances with Mirrors".

Welcome to the club, dudell

Rusty TexasShadow

p.s. It was good to see both you and Drew there. Hope you'll both join us again.

Thanks, Everyone!!!

I have to say that I haven't spent a more enjoyable day -productive, informative, friendly, humorous, serious, blooper-full, double entendre-full, colorful, Starbucks-full, Chicken-wingin', donutty, muffining, pleasant day in a long time with such a large group of people.

There's a special fraternity in a group of bike riders sharing such endeavors as working on bikes that exemplifies the generosity, patience, sharing of experience and expertise, tools and trust, hospitality and just good-natured presence that was experienced yesterday. It was so nice to to see so many of you there helping each other, and just showing up to share it all.

We thank Bill and Melanie again for their hospitality, Bill for sharing his precious tools and honest experience, and everyone else for coming and chipping in wherever and whenever.
We were honored with the presence of fellow V-strom/TWT riders from Houston , Graeme and Squeaky :clap:

We Rool!

Here's to V-strom Tech Monster Garage: Hurrah!

Footnote: I tried to take photos of the progression in changing sprockets and chain throughout three bikes. I'll go through them all to piece together a pictorial presentation of how to do it. If I'm missing photos of any steps, I'll post a plea. Someone else may have photographed a step.
I'll post it on my website (sometime)

You two Houstonites, y'all are welcome back anytime. Mi casa su casa.
And Drew, we hope we didn't scare you too much ;)

For those that I told I would post when I arrived back in Houston I just walked in the door and do not even have the gear off. Should point out that Squeaker is still probably in Huntsville having supper at Tourmeister house.

Thats too bad about the Ducati mirror. Riding a V-strom is like walking through a crowded room if you have a big rear end. Skinny people (or people with Motards) just don't have the self concept of how big and wide they are. When I picked mine up from the dealer it was parked in a large group of bikes and I had to thread my way out. Since I was riding trials at the time, I thought I could really show off. I hit one of those big ***** Kappa cases on a new Honda, but luckily didn't knock it over.

I had to leave a little early to make sure I was a safe distance away before all of those new chains and sprockets started coming off and someone started looking for someone to blame.

It was fun. Until next time

Pat McDonald

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great day:clap: :clap: , new friends, new chain, new skills, new stories and more importantly no new screen name (Dances with Mirrors)

Thanks to all the experts that provided the useful tips, tricks and generally filled the void that is my mechanical knowledge. Also thanks for the "Special Ed" wisdom from the Triumphant dude;-)

To the hosts, what I can say "Thank You for for everything" the pair of you truely make the tech day an event to be proud of.

Cann't wait to hang will you all again, even if some of you are from WAY to South and West of the Scottish border (Ron):lol2:

Home. I guess I'm last...

As Graeme said, I stopped off in Huntsville on our way back down the slab. Left there pretty late so I got in a little after midnight.

Does that mean I was the only one that made a 4-day trip out of this tech day?

I'm obviously tired and still thawing - my fingers hurt a little typing this. I'm looking forward to hearing more details about the day - one of the best parts of being on the forum here is that when everyone goes home, the day still isn't over yet. We keep talking about it, poking fun at ALL of the hilarious moments we remember, and spreading the word. How tall will these tales get I wonder... ?

Oh, and I need EVERYONE to post your pics or PM me so I can have pics of this weekend since - well, you know...

I arrived at the Vstrom tech day about 9:30 and already there were several bikes lined up in front of Bills house.

130637216-M.jpg

I had a mission to have my pack rack repaired. Fortunately Bill was eager to get it done and he jumped right on the job. Once again I was fascinated by Bills skill with fire and metal.
This was the the rack before
128411616-M.jpg

The master at work
130634857-M.jpg

130634859-M.jpg

130634865-M.jpg

Final repair

130640625-M.jpg

Not only did he fixed the broken rack but created another rack that would work also and would be stronger than the one he repaired. It was amazing to me how he just looked at what I had and created a simple alternative. We will probably get together at a later time to modify the new rack to add a shelf. I use the rack on both my Vstrom and KLR650

start the new rack

130634869-M.jpg

130634872-M.jpg

New rack

130637471-M.jpg

The repaired and new on the bikes.

130637200-M.jpg

130637212-M.jpg

Repaired on KLR

130637207-M.jpg

New KLR

130642544-M.jpg

I have more pics I will post later.

Wow! Nice job on welding the racks, Bill!
You are whetting my appetite to seriously learn to MIG weld :trust:

Glad to hear our Houston VSMG riders made it home safely and with no further loss of body or bike parts. :mrgreen:

I have pics aplenty but will take a few days to sort out and post somewhere. Back to the slave cave lab for me today...........

Ten V-stroms.... that is just so cool :)

Wow, I just downloaded the pics from my camera. I don't know who all was taking pictures with it, but you guys did a good job.:clap: I'll try and post them up tonight if I get time, but it might be kind of tight since I've got to run up to Cycle Gear and buy a new countershaft sprocket, change it out, and then run down to the JC meet and greet.

But I'll try.

Jill and I would have come, but the gravel guy came by and left 36,000lbs of gravel for us to spread. First job was to fix the flat tire on the wheelbarrow!

We are trying to make the place look better before the great adventure next month.

Looks like you all did OK without us!

TexasShadow said:
all that gravel and only a wheelbarrow?????????
That's just rong..... ;-)

a wheelbarrow with a flat tire no less...broke the tire down, found the hole, dug a patch out from under the motorcycle seat, patch wouldn't seal, went to town for a new wheel and tire (this one had actual bearings and a zerk fitting), spread as much gravel as we could bear, found the patch had sealed after warming up and sitting for a few hours, put the original wheel back together, cleaned, greased, and perserved it as a "hot" spare, and had a cold, barley pop!

finished the gravel spreading on Sunday morning, and now we are enjoying a good looking driveway. This would be 36 yards of gravel (over 100k lbs of gravel) since moving in 21 months ago, and hopefully this should be it.

or it could be stated that the gravel was about 1 cent a pound! or in looking at it a different way, increased the value of the home by 3k-5k with 1k worth of material and a few weekends of sweat equity!

or we could have ridden to Ft. Worth and played with motorcycles!

Waiting on O-rings and other misc. parts to get my 87 R80 to FMC...a bike down waiting on a single O-ring for a fuel petcock!

now going to town for a fuel pump for the 68 dodge and a box of new patches!

Howard

Back