• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run II 2007 "Heavenly Pie in Hico"

Made it home safely. It was great to see some folks I have not seen for awhile and to meet some new friends. Hope everyone made it home safely.

Pulled in the driveway at 3:15. Good God Al' Mighty. Someone tell me it doesn't get worse than that. I think my left neck muscles are paralyzed. Sat with MacDaddy, Squeaky, and Stinky93071. Enjoyed the visit guys. JLG, hope you appreciate the hole I plowed open for you. You looked very comfortable back there. R :)

We also made it home OK,but man ,the crosswind from Hico to Hamilton was
tough!!!!!
From Hamilton to Belton I turned off the engine and used my fairing as a
sail,worked great,but I had to stay on the brakes alot.

It was nice to meet you guys and gals.

benford46 said:
From Hamilton to Belton I turned off the engine and used my fairing as a sail,worked great,but I had to stay on the brakes alot.

Yeah, couple of times with wind at my back and coming up to stop at a redlight I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get it stopped. But tailwind was nothing compared to those side gusts. Gives new meaning to "keeping it between the ditches". :lol2:

Unbelievable................
Left turns on the pegs.
Right turns straight up.
(Obviously headed North)
Had a great time. I just thought the crosswinds were bad on the way down.
At least going, the wind was "clean".
My lungs, clothes, bike and everything else are full of dirt.
Now I know why they provided a tether clip with my magnetic tank bag.
That sucker blew off three times before I put it in the saddle bags.
Can we go again? :rider:

Bill and I got back to Fort Worth at 3PM. We actually thought the wind wasn't as bad coming home. We did take a different route than on the way down. The way home had more areas blocked by hills, trees and buildings than on the way to Hico.

I stayed home about 10 minutes, and Linda took me to pick up my 05 ST1300 at DFW Honda. It appears to be good as new. At 27K miles no valves needed adjustment, and it looks like the anti-freeze weep the bike has had since 4K miles is fixed.

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

Got in a little while ago safe & sound. The winds were stronger after lunch. In Hamilton a huge tree had blown over into both lanes of traffic on 281. Traffic was being detoured around for about six blocks.

A few miles south of Hamilton a convoy hauling three long sections (triple-wide) of a modular home was headed North and had pulled over to the side of the road. One of the sections had flipped over on its side and had separated from the tractor pulling it. Needless to say it looked as though it had exploded.

It great to be able to get out with folks that like to ride , eat pie, and visit.;-) Rebecca ordered the Banana Blueberry Cream pie so I I just couldn't resist ordering a piece for myself. Man, that stuff is to die for!

Nice meeting the Becca's, Patricia and all the other folks. You guys & gals really have a fine assortment of bikes. I enjoyed the outing very much and hope to do it again soon.

Ride Safe and Ride Often....

I had a great time! :rider: :eat:

Rode out with Chuck, Kevin and Michael after they picked me up in Keene. I say picked me up because I seemed to have lost my sense of direction today :doh:
With Chuck correcting we pulled into the lot about 1100.

I had the privilege of sitting with the Ms Savannah and Ms Cassie. I guess their folks and Chuck were at the table as well. ;)

The burger was good. Fried pickles were delicious as always, Dublin Dr Pepper was tasty, duh, and the pie (Black Forest) was superb! :eat:

break from the wind on the way down
IMG_1439.jpg

arrival
IMG_1440.jpg

Savanah got to take a picture of Cassie with Chucks camera so Cassie just HAD to take a picture of Savanah with mine
IMG_1441.jpg

Thats Mr Frog sitting on her head.

I've discussed the disappearance of Bob with Mr Frog, but he hasn't heard anything. Said he's going to check out the Mascot forums and see if he hears anything.

Was good to finally meet Becca (RocketBunny), Patricia, (faylaricia) in person and of course everybody else :wave:

A big Thank You to Chris for putting this together, the gang for letting me "lead" :oops: and last but not least, Chuck for lunch :clap:

Last edited:
Holy cow! A mighty wind, for sure.

I got in to Fort Worth about 3. Had printed out vfr's directions from Keene in the morning and followed them out with only one wrong turn, worth about 18 extra miles. Not really sure where I ended up before I finally asked directions to Iredell.

On the way back, I figured I'd take something more direct to at least minimize the amount of time I had to spend in the wind. Headed out 6 toward Stephenville and encountered those monster wide loads, pre-blow-over. Hate to think what that sucker looked like in pieces.

Heading from Stephenville to Keene on 67, I had the wind at my back. I swear there were times at 65 mph and above I felt NO wind resistance. Once I turned off at Keene, THAT treat was over with.

Great to meet at least some of you. Hope all got/get home OK and without too much accumulated dust.

When I left the house about 7:45, the streets were wet but nothing was falling. Seems like the front had just passed thru since Elzi reported showers and wind in Azle about that time. I opted to keep the rain gear in the tank bag and see how things turned out...

I met up with Michael (PhotoBone) and Kevin (gowest1) at the good old Minyards in SW Arlington. A lady and her son in a car stopped and asked if we knew where 281 was & I almost told her to follow us - but she needed to get to Brownwood instead... :shrug:

We got away a little late because Michael decided to get gas now rather than wait & we made it down to Keene to meet Nathan (tx-vfr) about 8:45 or so. We decided to go ahead and use our planned route and sent Nathan on ahead to plow thru the wind...
keene_2249q.jpg

Michael (ST1300), Nathan (ST1300), my Wii-Strom, Kevin (Shadow Aero)

We stopped in Iredel to take a breather before tackling FM1238. I had gotten us here because Nathan almost went the wrong way on FM56. :doh: :mrgreen: Now, we sent him on ahead again. This time he took the shortcut down FM1602 which was a good call due to time.

I got a few shots in the Koffee Kup parking lot
chris_2250q.jpg

Chris (stinky93071) and his Triumph ST

michael_2251q.jpg

Michael (PhotoBone) and his Honda ST1300

Seems like they knew we were coming
parkinglot_2252q.jpg

bikes_2253q.jpg

It is easy to spot the Zimmerman family due to the interesting backpacks that Chris (wczimmerman) and Jen (blazin' mama) wear. :mrgreen:
zims_2254q.jpg

I think Jen could double as a DPS bike officer, doncha think? ;-)
jen_2255q.jpg

Their older daughter, Cassie, is Miss Fashion with the shades
cassie_2256q.jpg

And Savannah is just plain cute
savannah_2257q.jpg

(I like the hi-vis jacket, Dad)

Is it windy, ladies? :lol2:
d70_2258q.jpg

Jen and Cassie

Seated inside, I think I was at a table with Nathan and WC and Jen, but I KNOW it was with Cassie and Savannah. Savannah used my camera on several of these pictures
cassie_2259q.jpg

Cassie again...

cassie_2260q.jpg

The guys at the table behind us ordering away
ordering_2261q.jpg

d70_2263q.jpg

We had a good turnout - I counted 31
diningroom_2262q.jpg

diningroom_2264q.jpg

d70_2265q.jpg

Chris must be thinking about next month's location...
zims_2266q.jpg

Cassie does the "Mr Frog" thing, too
cassie_frog_2268q.jpg

Nathan gets a kick out of these pie runs
d70_2270q.jpg

Back outside again - gawking and talking
parkinglot_2271q.jpg

bikes_2272q.jpg

Vern (Vrn_James) shows off his latest toy
d70_2273q.jpg

(I have no idea what Rebecca (rocketbunny) is doing) :lol2:

Looks like the next generation of TWT girls is being well trained. :thumb:
girls_2274q.jpg

Squeaky - old generation :trust: , Cassie - new generation :mrgreen:

-------

Description of the ride home: :eek2: ***WINDY***

Our homely group of 4 was tailed part way home by a lone rider that turned out to be Jackie (JLG) on his way back to Garland.

-------

I didn't get to meet or talk to everyone but it looked like all were having a good time. I know I did. :thumb:

-------
a couple more photos of Cassie (probably taken by Savannah):

Cassie with frog 1 - small
Cassie with frog 2 - small

Cassie with frog 1 - large
Cassie with frog 2 - large

Last edited:
Well, I rolled in about 20 minutes ago safe and sound, albeit still getting the grit out of my teeth, neck, gear, etc. The wind was something fierce today.

I left Austin about 7am and headed towards Marble Falls to come up 281. As I was passing the Bluebonnet in Marble Falls, the Hill Country BMW crowd was just pulling in for breakfast so I whipped in. Had a meal with them, and convinced one to join in for the pie run. We made the 'riding crooked' run up to Hico and had a wonderful time.

From there, I found my Hico city limits sign and shot a pic for the 'everywhere' project, then headed up to Stephenville for another sign shot. Then I bounced over to Glen Rose and then Rock Creek. For grins, I went to Eulogy. Not much there. Then over to Valley Mills where I met up with I believe two of the oversized load trucks mentioned earlier. I weaseled my way down and over to Gatesville, then over to Lorena and then headed back to Austin via I35. Wound up a 454 mile day.

It was a pleasure to meet some of you too.

~m

I got home about 6:45 tonight.. Not sure what time the Beccas will get home. We took off to do a short ride but after a few small things (I will let them tell you about that) and the wind we headed home. (I had to stop at my moms on the way back that is why I am so late home ) It was a nice ride headding east on 20 had to watch my speed with no head wind I had to back down from 100 a few times..

I had a great time but needed lead weights in my shoes to help with standing against the wind in the parking lot. Still blinking dust out of my eyes. Riding home was definitely interesting. At SH360 and US287 the blowing dust was so thick that it limited visibility like a fog. Had to slow down for a bit and had a sensation that I could not catch my breath because of the dust.

It was great fun and a treat to be around you fine people. I am ready for the next time.

Hey Chuck, Kevin, and Nathan, I enjoyed riding with you guys today! The route down had some really nice roads. Chuck, I think you may have been behind me when I saw about 8 or 10 wild turkeys to our left about 45 mins before we got in to Hico. D'you seem um? The wind got "interesting" as we were getting in to Hico, eh? On the trip back I couldn't believe how strong the gusts were! Once or twice at slower speeds the amount of lean to stay on the road was crazy!

Chuck, thanks for taking and posting all the pics. The coconut pie was not disappointing! I think I'll have to make another trip to the Koffee Kup this spring, but not with gale force winds!

stinky93071 said:
...but after a few small things (I will let them tell you about that) and the wind we headed home.

Riding with the Beccas is always an adventure!
I got home about 20 minutes ago. Had to slab it back after we split so that I could make it home before it got too late, and my GPS is having a bad day.

I'll get to work on pics and stories once I get some sleep. 3 1/2 hours last night was NOT enough, despite the constant caffeination throughout the day.

Maybe I'm obsessing, but that wind ... as of 10 p.m., I can't sit down without feeling like I'm still being tossed around on the road like a leaf. I don't know if the martinis are helping or hurting.

If I'd known what riding today was going to be like, I surely wouldn't have started. Now that I've done it, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

M38A1 said:
For grins, I went to Eulogy. Not much there.

That's why we like it! :sun: There are very few Eulogites!

Glad everybody got home safe. We worried about y'all this afternoon when Dallas began to look like Mars. A few things that aren't as fun in 50-mph winds: Golf, boating, and motorcycles.

Ace Wingnut said:
If I'd known what riding today was going to be like, I surely wouldn't have started. Now that I've done it, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

My sentiments exactly. A memorable ride for sure!

Ace Wingnut said:

Good sig line right there! :clap:
I think I'll consider that today's motto.

Well, that and "when one fills up we all fill up" :lol2:

(teaser pic)
131892321-M.jpg

Well, my day started at 6am. That's the time I had to be on the road to get to the meet point on the other end of Houston by 7:30.

My front tire is worn out enough it was sliding out on left hand turns in the wet. That wasn't alot of fun. Fortunately, we were out of rain by the time we cleared Brenham.

I won't say anymore about the wind. It's been well covered.

On my return, I stopped in Hewitt to visit a friend from college. I left his place at 4:30 and just zipped down 77/36/290/BW8 back home. I pulled up on the driveway at 8:30. 575miles for the day.

Thanks to Squeaky and Rocketbunny for letting me ride up with them. I enjoyed the company.
Thanks to the Koffee Kup for a great job and outstanding pie. I had the peanut butter pie.... salmonella free!

Squeaky said:
Good sig line right there! :clap:
I think I'll consider that today's motto.

Well, that and "when one fills up we all fill up" :lol2:

(teaser pic)
131892321-M.jpg

......and how many miles per gallon does a BMW get?:lol2: :lol2:

Glad ya'll made it home safe.

Quick-Silver said:
......and how many miles per gallon does a BMW get?:lol2: :lol2:

Glad ya'll made it home safe.
apparently not as many as would be needed :lol2:

Glad everyone had a great time! Wish we could have made it but we spent the day spending money on motorcycle gear and accessories :rider:

Ace Wingnut said:
Maybe I'm obsessing, but that wind ... as of 10 p.m., I can't sit down without feeling like I'm still being tossed around on the road like a leaf. I don't know if the martinis are helping or hurting.

:tab When I bought my 1150GS, I purchased it from a fellow in Colorado in late March of '04. One of these fronts came through on the day I rode it back to Texas. Sustained crosswinds in excess of 45mph for the entire ride across West Texas. On a bike that would normally top out around 125-130mph, I could only make 80-85 at wide open throttle. To make matters worse, the farmers were plowing their dry fields!! The dust was crazy. I did at least stay ahead of the front enough to keep dry... When I reached Austin 800 miles and eleven hours later, I felt like someone that had spent several days offshore fishing. I could not lay down without feeling like I was swaying all over the place. And NO, I did not have anything to drink :-P I was sore and stiff the next day from fighting that wind for so long. Still... it was a great trip :dude:

So.... for a reference point, what were the sustained wind speeds yesterday around the Hico area and anybody venture to guess what the gust speeds might have been.

I know I rode 'crooked' for most of my day, but was it 20mph winds or 40? I have no reference point to relate with.

Thx-

Back