• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stromchrome "Falls" in Durango

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Hinners
Stromchrome was back in Durango at the end of September for the cooler weather and "leaf peeping". Summer is a great time to ride southwestern Colorado, but nothing beats the scenery as the aspens turn. If you can, plan to visit the area sometime between the last week of September and the middle of October. Too soon and the leaves have not turned, too late and they are all off the trees. The tourist crowd has lessened but is still noticeable due to the fall color tours, and the motorcycle traffic is still steady.

My local riding buddy had mentioned last trip about a great ride up Missionary Ridge Road. Never needing a real excuse to explore, I added it to my list. First, however, was a trip with the better half to Spud (AKA Potato) Lake. Spud Lake is an easy 50 - 60 minute hike from a trailhead located about four miles from the lower entrance of Old Lime Creek Road (just north of Cascade Village). The trailhead is accessible via dual sport or moderately high clearance cage. While the lake can get crowded because it is an easy hike for young and old alike, the scenery (especially in the fall) is some of the best.

The trail was carpeted with aspen leaves
durango+fall+2007+03.jpg

This we call "Lower Spud Lake"
Lower+spud+lake+durango+fall+2007.jpg

“Lower Spud” is actually a series of beaver ponds. However, two years ago a coworker and his wife took us on our first hike to Spud Lake and stopped here, proclaiming this to be the real Spud Lake. Turns out they had hiked to this point probably a half dozen times and stopped, thinking this was the place! On our first trip, I noticed several groups continuing on the trail and decided to follow. Fifteen minutes later I came to the real Spud Lake.

upper+spud+lake+durango+fall+2007+064.jpg

We now refer to it as "Upper Spud Lake"!!!!

The wife and I ate a sandwich, soaked in the scenery and thanked God for being alive to see all of this. That afternoon, I devoted time to replacing the XR’s bend-o-matics with Pro Taper EVO (CR Hi) handlebars, performing a snorklectomy, and installing a Uni air filter. Next trip I will finish installing the Acerbis guards and a lowering link.

The next day, I decided to find Missionary Ridge Road. I knew it should start off of Hwy 250 north of Durango, so off I went. Hwy 250 parallels Hwy 550, but on the east side of the Animas. It is an enjoyable leisurely ride that offers different, but just as scenic views of the Animas Valley compared to Hwy 550. A little more than a mile north of Trimble Lane (Hwy 252) is the beginning of Missionary Ridge Road. The road is bordered by private land for the first few miles and is gravel. I found the road to be easy, but my local riding buddy said it can be very challenging if the county has recently put down new gravel.

The road climbs rapidly from the valley and offers continuing changes in views and terrain. A large portion climbs through the western boundary of the June 2002 Missionary Ridge Fire that burned over 70,000 acres and destroyed some 56 homes.

As you begin to climb, a view of the Animas valley below appears often

durango+fall+2007+B.jpg

Looking ahead, the foliage begins to change

durango+fall+2007+A.jpg

The undergrowth colors dominate some of the burn area

durango+fall+2007+C.jpg

Bare, burned trees offset the color of the new growth

durango+fall+2007+D.jpg

Around the many corners are reminders of the fire's damage

durango+fall+2007+E.jpg

durango+fall+2007+F.jpg

durango+fall+2007+H.jpg

After 20 miles and about an hour, you come to pristine Henderson Lake, outside of the fire's reach

durango+fall+2007+Henderson+Lake+G.jpg

Henderson Lake offers a beautiful place to camp, fish and relax.

The trip down offers a different perspective of the northern edge of the burn and the mountains beyond.

durango+fall+2007+I.jpg

Nature rebuilding
durango+fall+2007+J.jpg

durango+fall+2007+K.jpg

On the last day of my visit, I packed my fishing gear on the big red pig and headed for the northern entrance of Old Lime Creek Road. Scenery near the entrance:

Fish+lime+creek+durango+fall+2007+02.jpg

While my fishing was not as successful as I would like, the views along Old Lime Creek Road were spectacular. Rain in Durango the night before made for a light snow on top of the mountains.

Fish+lime+creek++durangofall+2007.jpg

All good things come to an end, and the next day it was back to Houston, heat and humidity.

Here are a few links for those interested in the fire:

http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/MissionaryRidgeburnseverity_map.htm

http://users.sisna.com/woodsonl/Fire.htm

This is an aerial shot of part of Missionary Ridge Road after the fire:

http://users.sisna.com/woodsonl/ima...y Ridge/Missionary Ridge Road/DSC01249web.JPG

Dang...... wow. You do 'guided' rides there? :mrgreen: ;-)

(doing math in head to drive Sherpie to Durango for a week of CO riding on back roads......put on wish list, high priority. Noted, bolded and underlined.)

(doing math in head to drive Sherpie to Durango for a week of CO riding on back roads......put on wish list, high priority. Noted, bolded and underlined.)

Northern New Mexico, most of Colorado, Utah. You will run out of lifetime before you run out of roads for the Sherpa. Time's a'wastin. :rider:

Back