• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

It´s not an adventure...

Reaction score
...until something goes wrong.

Greetings from lovely Monterrey, Mexico. My bike and I sit motionless under the lovely mountains ringing the city. Tragically, the bike is going to be motionless quite a bit longer than I am since it suffered the dreaded final drive failure yesterday. It broke down on the road out of Real de Catorce which, as they say, is not in the middle of nowhere but you can see it from there! Good times!

Parts won´t arrive for at least 5 days so the good news is I get to make another trip to Mexico very soon. :clap: In the meantime, I am hopping a plane to Guanajuato where I am meeting my former riding companions on the steps of the university at 6pm tonight. I am honored to have such great friends.

More details as the adventure unfolds...

-Fletch

ps, Let me provide my unqualified recommendation to www.mexadventure.com for Mexico vehicle insurance. They have taken very, very good care of me...details when I get home.

Well, there goes your shot at a BMW ad!

Hope it all works out well for you. Good Luck!!

Well, there goes your shot at a BMW ad!

My companion with the VStrom thinks the experience will make a great SUZUKI ad...anyone selling a low mileage DL1000 who wants to trade for a GS and a trip to Mexcio??? :trust:

That is tough luck for sure. Having been left on the side of the road myself in next-to-nowhere on my 1200 GS due to "dramatic" final drive failure myself.

Hope you get taken care of and are back on the road soon.

That is tough luck for sure. Having been left on the side of the road myself in next-to-nowhere on my 1200 GS due to "dramatic" final drive failure myself.

Hope you get taken care of and are back on the road soon.

Yes, but no one else has managed to set their final drive on fire. You are my hero! :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune....

All I can say is, "man I am really starting to dig this chain drive thing!!!":lol2:
Sorry, you know someone was bound to say it.:mrgreen:

My companion with the VStrom thinks the experience will make a great SUZUKI ad...anyone selling a low mileage DL1000 who wants to trade for a GS and a trip to Mexcio??? :trust:

So sorry...I have known quite a few folks with the same issue. You might consider the DL650 unless you plan to carry a passenger. With a few cheap mods relative to the GS1200 price, you can have a pretty reliable puppy. If you are more than 5-10' throw in a one inch dog bone to increase clearance.

suzuki_dl650_angle_hb_gobi.jpg

Of course, if you want to stick with the Beemer, the GS650 with chain drive is a pretty good bike. For me, I am turning Japanese as the song goes.

I see that Revrendbiker has posted his loaded DL650 in the For Sale section :trust:

Hey there,

Sorry to here this happened to you. Theat of a rear end failure is just one of the problems that led to the sell of my BMW. I can't have a vehicle I can't rely on. I use to work on vehicle's, bc I had to. I've made a few dollar, and made up my mind to only work on a vehicle on my terms. (for fun)
Best of luck getting it fix and back to the Austin.

Randy

Hola from lovely Guanajuato

My GS still sits (forlornly, I presume) waiting for parts in Monterrey. Meanwhile, I am chilling out in the coolest city on the planet. Oh, wait, did I say that out loud? What I meant is that Guanajuato is a miserable place with horrible weather, inedible food, homely women and unfriendly people. :trust:

My riding buddies made it down here Wednesday night after 10 hours of hard riding from Monterrey and a few unplanned circuits of the tunnels beneath the city. I had a good time showing them the city but they left this morning to head back to Texas. They had to punt on our/their planned trip to Xilitla due to time constraints from what will now be known as simply 'The Incident'.

I have one more day to relax here before I fly home in the morning. Pictures and details to follow next week. Or so...

Cheers, -Fletch

PS, To whoever posted that cool VStrom. That thing is VERY cool. I think I may have to buy one of those for a sister bike to try out until I can re-gain confidence in the BMW's reliability.

PPS, More CHEERS to www.mexadventure.com who helped me out of a jam and are subsidizing my return airfare. JEERS to BMWMOA. I called them to try to find the number of the BMW m/c shop in Monterrey. They simply said 'sorry, there is nothing listed in The Book'. They offered no other assistance (not even a quick Google) for a stranded member.

Re: Hola from lovely Guanajuato

JEERS to BMWMOA. I called them to try to find the number of the BMW m/c shop in Monterrey. They simply said 'sorry, there is nothing listed in The Book'. They offered no other assistance (not even a quick Google) for a stranded member.

+1.

I had one of our patrol bikes go down on a training ride. I called the 800 number for their "free" tow and was told the same thing. They couldn't get me off the phone quick enough. Lucky it was something simple that I could fix. :thumbd:

Fletch,

Sorry to hear about your bike. Glad to hear that you are adapting and overcoming. Thanks for the feedback on mexadventure insurance.

Looking forward to a full ride report with pics.

Looking forward to a full ride report with pics.

Not much of a 'ride' report to come from me since I only road about 900 miles in 2 days but I'll recount the entire sordid experience soon. I am having a bit of computer problems and can't upload pictures right now and, as they say, this thread is worthless without pictures so please stay tuned...I'll try to have something up by the end of the week.

-Fletch

Since I'm one of 3 survivors(rode the whole way!) on this trip and one of 2 that had a reliable final drive on an 1150gs, I can't wait to join in the fun of recreating the story. I'm already coming up with anecdotes that I can't wait to attach to Fletch's posts. He said he's going to use my photos so get ready! -Todd :eek2:

Attachments

• 5354email.jpg
    5354email.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 205
I have finally fixed my internet connection and uploaded my photos so I will begin the ill-fated story of 4 friends riding to Mexico. It all began at, well, the beginning.

Last summer (2006) a very good friend of mine (let's call him "Guapo") and I traveled to Ramos Arizpe to teach driving and tactics to Mexican Police. You may recall my report posted here:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11449

Guapo rides a black R1150GS:
215160006-M.jpg

Guapo and I absolutely fell in love with Mexico and the people so we vowed, General MacArthur-like, that we would return soon on motorcycles. Planning began almost immediately on a run to Mazatlan in the spring of 2007 but life got in the way so the trip got postponed to fall and re-routed to the Colonial Highlands. I washed the GS (for only the 3rd time in 5 years - probably my first mistake) so it was sparkly and ready to ride hard and get dirty.

1796595660_fec5542ca4.jpg

The original itinerary was:
Austin to Saltillo (via Laredo-ish) then
Real de Catorce then
Guanajuato then
Xilitla (via Tequisquiapan and Jalpan) then
Mineral de Pozos then
Bosques de Monterreal then
Home.

Guanajuato was to be the southernmost point and the turnaround point.
1796298884_8d29f49827.jpg

[Important disclaimer: any decent photographs (like this one taken by Guapo) were most certainly not taken by me but by one of my other companions]

That was the plan anway. As the title states....it's not an adventure until something goes wrong!

The night before we were set to depart was also my wife's birthday. I had planned to take her out to a nice, romantic dinner at 6pm sharp before I ran off to the mountains of Mexico without her for a week. I spent all day packing, re-packing and re-repacking the bike.

At 5pm I was certain I had everything EXACTLY where I wanted it so I went inside to apply the cherry on the sundae - my Garmin 2610 loaded with the new BiciMapas GPS software of Mexico. I latch the GPS it into its mount, plug it in, turn it on and....NOTHING. I nervously switch it off and back on again. Repeatedly. Still nothing. I am beginning to worry now and sweat is rapidly accumulating on my forehead. I rush inside and plug the unit into the wall. It fires right up so there is nothing wrong with the unit...probably just a fuse. CRIMINY! The fuses are under the tank behind the battery. I take the (full) tank off in record time although I forget to clamp the first hose and spray gasoline all over me and the bike. I quickly find the blown fuse and - doh! - no spares. I send my lovely (and gracious) birthday bride on a banzai run to Radio Shack for some spares.

While she is gone I manage to strip the quick release conncector from the power to my tank bag so I mentally will the cell phone into my hand like Yoda retrieving a wayward light saber - whoosh!

Me: Uh, honey, could you get something else at Radio Shack?
Her: Sure, what is it?
Me: A medium sized male blade conncetor.
Her: Silence
Me: Just put call me and let me talk to Radio Shack when you get there.

My wife returns in record time and I replace the fuse and the connector and mount the tank back on the frame. Start to finish time: 29 minutes! Woo hoo! I rock. I start the bike up for a triumphant test ride and it sounds HORRIBLE - like it is running on one cylinder. Badly.

Frantic calls to more mechanically inclined friends are no help. I convince myself it is bad gas and it will clear up after burning a tank in the morning. AusWife and I head out to Castle Hill for a dinner and we have a wonderful, if distracted, birthday dinner.

After returning home I pretended to sleep until I "woke up" at 4am to get ready. As I pulled into the arranged meeting place a half hour early I spot one of my tripmates already there and riding an identical silver GS and wearing an IDENTICAL hi-viz AST jacket. Sigh.
IMG_0001

This is him. Let's call him "Viejo". Viejo rode 12,000 miles to Prudhoe Bay and back on the GS this summer. Now THAT is an adventure. He also IMMEDIATELY diagnosed the issue with my rough-running GS as a part of the thottle that was unseated due to my NASCAR pit stop like removal and replacement of my tank. He poked it into place and my GS went back to purring like a kitten. I have found me new riding buddy!
1796610598_e1a2edabf6.jpg

The fourth member of our merry band was the only one riding a non-GS. Let's call him "Joven". He was riding a black VStrom 1000:
1795743237_3e112569d4.jpg

Oh, yeah, this is me - your intrepid reporter. Let's call me "Baboso".
IMG_0005.JPG

The four of us loaded up and headed out with a combined 14 headlights destroying a broad swath of the pre-dawn darkness on I-35.

This is where we actually started taking pictures so I will cut back on the verbosity and dial up the photos.

Viejo crossing the border for the first time. Note the big smile!
215146856-M.jpg

The crossing was effortless although we almost lost Viejo.
IMG_0003.JPG
215148319-M.jpg

After passing through Aduana (customs) we get flagged over to wait for an inspection. Two lovely young women are sitting under the inspection area and are, presumably, supposed to pre-interview us while the customs officers make their way to us for a full blown search. I didn't really feel like waiting in the heat so I did the only thing I could think of - flirt!

Girls: Where are you coming from?
Me: (Thinking this is kinda dumb since you could SEE us cross from Texas) Uh, Texas?
Girls: Where are you going?
Me: (I am onto their little game now so I don't say "Mexico") Guanajuato.
Gilrs: What is your purpose?
Me: (Begin flirt) To visit your country and learn Spanish.
Girls: You are doing pretty well.
Me: I have been studying for a long time but just can't get it. I think I really nead a Mexican girlfriend.
Girls: (Giggle and look at each other the point to Guapo) What about him?
Me: He needs one, too.

The girls giggle some more then tell us we can leave just as the inspections officers are about to walk up. Guapo, Joven and i roar off then look back to see Viejo dismounted and taking off his helmet and jacket. We holler frantically to him so he grabs everything and scoot our way before getting detained. Moments later we are headed south again.
215149710-M.jpg

I have to go get dinner for AusWife. Next installment will see us spend the evening in Saltillo.
1795679035_d6e47d3878.jpg

Before hitting the road to Real de Catorce.
1795616659_f4640ce8d6.jpg

Stay tuned...

Not wanting to ruin his story, but I couldn't resist adding a few "teaser" photos. I'll let "Baboso" explain.

Attachments

• Mexico 2007 068.jpg
    Mexico 2007 068.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Mexico 2007 066.jpg
    Mexico 2007 066.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 230
:popcorn:
BTW, I got a kick out of the nicknames. Hopefully you'll tell us how you came to be "baboso"...heh

:popcorn:
BTW, I got a kick out of the nicknames. Hopefully you'll tell us how you came to be "baboso"...heh

Oh, my.

ba·bo·so -sa

adj.

1. (salivoso) dribbling, drooling
2. figurative, colloquial (sentimental) mushy, maudlin
3. Central America foolish, simple

m. & f.

1. (que saliva mucho) dribbler, drooler
2. figurative, colloquial (persona infantil) immature person
3. America fool, simpleton

Hopefully you'll tell us how you came to be "baboso"...heh

1. (que saliva mucho) dribbler, drooler
2. figurative, colloquial (persona infantil) immature person
3. America fool, simpleton

Because I spent a great deal of time out in the middle of the desert standing around looking at the broke bike feeling like #1 and #3 above. Pictures don't lie. That's me in the background feeling like quite the baboso while my extremely competent and knowledgeable friends disassemble my bike, diagnose my problems ("It's broke!") and re-assemble my bike.

1795840499_e5d14869a7.jpg

But, wait, you are making me get ahead of myself. You'll get the whole story in due time.

Back