• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dying Leaf Ride IV, Heber Springs, AR

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Last Name
Davis
Last weekend I returned to Arkansas for the "near anniversary" of my last crash.

The outcome was much nicer. :thumb:

Work and long hours prevented me from packing and leaving Thursday evening for a stopover in Broken Bow at my Daughter's home.
Instead, I packed Thursday and loaded the bike for an early departure Friday morning.
I left the house at 5:00am expecting some traffic delays enroute to Wylie. :coffee:

The Dying Leaf Ride is the idea of Jeff Jones, the Concours Owners Group AAD and shared with riders from the Motorcycle Touring Association, Texas region 6.
I didn't know all this last year and wondered where all the riders came from. :)

I was the second rider to arrive at the McDonald's in Wylie. (at 6:00am sharp) :doh:
By 7:00am, there were about 17 riders headed out in two groups. The "Hare" group and the "Tortoise" group.

Notice a lack of pictures so far. Still too dark for my puny ride camera.

We headed up 78 to the intersection of Hwy 121 and turned to Bonham. Took Hwy 82 to Paris and then north around the loop to FR 195. (my favorite road on the way to Broken Bow). At Hwy 37 we turned north crossing the Red River and took our first fuel and rest stop at the Choctaw Plaza just across the border.
From there we continued on to Idabel and looped north around town to hit Hwy 259 north through Broken Bow to Hwy 63 a little south of the Talimena Drive. Taking 63 east into Arkansas, the road becomes AR 8 and on into Mena, AR.
We stopped at the Chopping Block Steakhouse for lunch and had just placed our orders when the Tortoise group arrived. ( Not much difference in "pace". :lol2: )

Completely forgot that I had a camera. :doh: :doh:

After lunch we headed north on Hwy 71 to Needmore and then took AR 28 east to Ola, AR. We then headed east on AR 10 to Perry, AR and then north on AR 9 through Morrilton, AR. Just over I-40, we turned east on AR 287 to then turn north on AR 92 to Springfield, AR.
We then headed east on AR 124 all the way to Quitman, AR.
In Quitman, AR we picked up AR 25 until it merged with AR 107 heading north until it turned onto AR 110. We took AR 110 into downtown Heber Springs to pickup AR 25 again and turned north to the Colonial Motor Inn, our "ride central".

Finally, some shots of the parking lot and motel after arriving around 4:00pm

The back building. Rooms at a Premium over the main lodge.
IMG_0679.jpg

Some of these riders actually post here on Two Wheeled Texans
IMG_0680.jpg

Fred Harmon's Concours 14 "experimental bike". Fred is just out of the picture to the right.
IMG_0681.jpg

A little chatting to unwind after the ride in.
IMG_0685.jpg

More to come...............

Last edited:
A friend of mine chose to bring his SV650 (with his electrics :trust: ) because his Connie needed a new pair of shoes. Well.
By the time he arrived in Heber Springs, the SV needed new shoes too.
IMG_0686.jpg

The Motel was just remote enough that a cell signal was hard to come by.
He spent quite a while on the room phone :nono: trying to locate a back tire.

The nearest tire was in Little Rock and priced like diamonds.
He headed out alone on Saturday morning to get there by 8:30am and have the new tire mounted.

Here's the new tire with 350 miles of "joy riding" on the return.
IMG_0722.jpg

The next morning, we geared up for a day of enjoyment.

Me and my stead.......
IMG_0692.jpg

Our route took us north toward Calico Rock, AR. We in the "Hare" group were looking for CR 53 to take us to a scenic overlook. We blew completely through town before realizing that we had missed the turnoff. I say we though only the ride leaders knew the road number. After scouring our GPS's, were turned around and headed back through town to finally locate the road.
(it doesn't say CR 53 on the sign)

Here is a look back up the road toward the highway.
IMG_0693.jpg

Dirty bike parking lot.................
IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

The lemmings gather...........
IMG_0696.jpg

A view to the east.
IMG_0697.jpg

My new desktop wallpaper! :thumb:
IMG_0698.jpg

Still looking east.
IMG_0699.jpg

Group shot of the riders.
MTADyingLeaf4GroupPicture2.jpg

Here is the view DOWN to the White River.
IMG_0702.jpg

The view to the west.
IMG_0706.jpg

Your's truly.
IMG_0707.jpg

Who's gonna wash my bike?
IMG_0711.jpg

Last edited:
After leaving Calico Rock scenic overlook, we headed out on those wonderful Arkansas roads............

AR 14 just south of Yellville.
IMG_0714.jpg

The lunch stop was at the "Front Porch Restaurant" in Yellville.

The "Hare" group dining.
IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

More later. I've got to sleep now.............

Last edited:
Nice report so far.

Two of the guys in your photos were in Clarksville the weekend before at the Fall Color Tour, Dual Sport ride.

A gorgeous view there. I love the White River. I need to get over there and do some trout fishing!

That's an interesting little trailer on that one bike. I've not seen one like it before.

Nice report so far.

Two of the guys in your photos were in Clarksville the weekend before at the Fall Color Tour, Dual Sport ride.

Likely the two you noticed would be Ray (Rocket) and Todd (TapnTx).
Both highly proficient riders! :bow:

After lunch, we geared up and headed out and about.

Parking lot shot
IMG_0718.jpg

One more for the road.......
IMG_0719.jpg

I had fallen behind on the way to lunch. Kind of an odd detail but I was wearing a jacket I'd had for several years but didn't fit quite right.
The back plate was tall enough to interfere with my helmet forcing me to look down.
Someone had recommended that I trim the top a little. I did.
It worked perfectly for the ride up but with the more aggressive riding on Saturday, I was constantly pressing the helmet back onto the back plate.
Bottom line. I began to get dizzy and nauseous. I rolled off the throttle and waved the rest around to finish the morning ride at a more leisurely pace.

After the lunch break, I was feeling better so I rejoined the pace. Same sensations returned about 4:00 that afternoon. Once again, I dropped back and rode out the route at a safer pace.

When I returned to the motel, it occurred to me that it might still be interference so I trimmed another 1/2" off the top and finished the weekend without any more episodes.

All that to say, I didn't take any more pictures on Saturday............

Sunday is next.

Last edited:
Don, you are an evil man. Posting that link to Uni-go Trailers...I want one! Dirt bikes may have to wait..... :ponder:

Nice pics by the way.

The Trip Home began with an early departure for Petit Jean State Park.

We reversed our route to head home and turned into the Petit Jean State Park to arrive at the Mather Lodge for the breakfast buffet.

The Lodge namesake.
IMG_0723.jpg

After dining, more like locust descending on a green valley, we went outside to stretch and enjoy the view.
IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Stitch the last 4 photos together and you get this.....
PetitJeanStateParkMarleyLodgeView.jpg

I really was there.....
IMG_0740.jpg

Some of the Group...
IMG_0742.jpg

Next stop, Heavener, OK.......

Last edited:
Don, you are an evil man. Posting that link to Uni-go Trailers...I want one! Dirt bikes may have to wait..... :ponder:

Nice pics by the way.

Some say that I've been evil all my life................:trust:

Leaving the Lodge and park, we headed out the west side on AR 154 onto AR 27 south a little to pick up AR 80 west toward Oklahoma.

At Hon, AR we picked up AR 28 which turned into OK 128 west to Heavener.

Once we arrived in Heavener, we decided that we had time to explore Runestone State Park on the east side of town.

The park information center
IMG_0745.jpg

The "Hare" group leaders
IMG_0744.jpg

Custom BMW wheel chocks. :)
IMG_0747.jpg

Headed down to the Runestone exhibit. This part is easy!!!
IMG_0753.jpg

The Heavener Runestone
IMG_0754.jpg

More local runestones
IMG_0756.jpg

A nice grotto near the exhibit
IMG_0757.jpg

The way out........
IMG_0758.jpg

Nearing the top... Man, my legs were burning........
IMG_0759.jpg

After leaving the park, we headed down US 270 to pick up US 259 south toward Broken Bow, OK.

I had one last stop with the group about 30 miles north of Broken Bow
IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

When we entered Broken Bow, I pulled off and waved farewell to the "Hare" group. I learned later that the "Hare" group stopped for gas in Broken Bow and pulled in behind the "Tortoise" group. They thought we had been lost. They didn't know we were just exploring with our added time advantage. :lol2:

After leaving the group, I headed for my Daughter's house to spend the afternoon with the Grandkids.

More to come..........

Last edited:
In Search of the Grandkids...............

Arrived at my Daughter's house and found nobody home. A quick cell call revealed that they were enroute to the hunting cabin for the last day of Black Powder season and a little outdoor living. I told them to leave the gates open. I was on my way.................

Headed back north a ways on US 259 and then west into the countryside.

I can't seem to go anywhere without dual-sporting. (I need a dual-sport)
IMG_0764.jpg

Thankfully, no water at this crossing.
IMG_0765.jpg

Left at the fork.
IMG_0766.jpg

Still a little farther.......
IMG_0767.jpg

Finally at the cabin.
IMG_0786.jpg

Here's one.......
IMG_0768.jpg

Here's the other........
IMG_0769.jpg

My little girl is much too young to have children.
IMG_0770.jpg

Took a little tour to view another 60 acres just acquired a few weeks ago.
IMG_0771.jpg

Checking directions.......
IMG_0773.jpg

Young hunter dropped off at the new property. (No fear, he had Adult supervision)
IMG_0782.jpg

The view on the way back to the cabin.
IMG_0785.jpg

Oklahoma humor.........
IMG_0787.jpg

Stayed long enough (too long) for the hunters to return and close camp (in the dark) and head back into Broken Bow.

Had a quick bite to eat with the family and headed out for home at 8:00pm

Took full advantage of cager lights in the "deer areas" and finally arrived at home a little after 11:00pm.

Trip totals. (That "Hare" group really moves along. :mrgreen: )
IMG_0791.jpg

Had a really great time and met a lot of new people. Great to find out some are Two-Wheeled Texans too! :thumb:

Last edited:
Great pics! Perfect timing too, I'm planning on (dreaming about) making a little loop around OK & AR myself.
Thanks! :rider:

Back