• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dec 1 - Crooked Creek TORCH ride -WhooHoo!

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
Ouch, I hurt. I'm sore in places I didn't know I had muscles.

I guess I'll start this of since I'm on and have a few minutes. Rusty's still out at Crooked Creek, he spent the night for some more riding today.

I almost didn't go, then decided at the last minute to make it happen. The last task I took on in preperation was to mount the Teraflex that Irondawg gave me, which I almost didn't do due to fears that the 140/90 wouldn't fit in my swingarm... well after going the Rusty's house to use his cool tire-machine-thing, I discovered that I was right; the knobs were pressed against the right side of the swingarm, and the tire BARELY cleared the back, by about 1/8" :shock: (This tire is more than 4" in diameter larger than my M6006) My concern here was that once the wheel started spinning, the tire would expand due to centripetal force and reach out and grab the swing arm :ponder: I broke out the knife and trimmed the side knobs so that it would at least roll...

I also had several other problems, including not being able to find the key to my trailer and to the gate where the trailer is stored...

I finally found the keys and made a mad dash to get the trailer at 6:30AM, just 30 minutes before Tony (Disbanded) was to show up at my house and an hour before we were to meet Steve (Ghoti) at the Valero down the road. I got back at 7:05 to find Tony waiting in my driveway. We were a tad late meeting Steve, but finally we were off like a herd of turtles...

We left the nasty Austin weather for a dryer Waco and once we reached the park we were greated by the excited owner who went on about how the trail surfaces were perfect... and they were! I unloaded the bike and removed the headlights (never got around to that due to the other issues), then went out to test the tire clearance... No obvious rubbing, I think this is going to work! If it doesn't, I brought along another tire just in case.

We followed our tour guide Rusty around for a while, ate lunch, watched Tony school everyone on the MX track.... on his KLR :lol2: , then later in the day got in our own aimless riding time ripping through the woods before calling it a day.

I have to say that these are some great trails; they flow really well and really easy to get into a rythm. Even the tight bike-only trails weren't too tight for the big bikes, so we had a blast. I even got on the "MX track", which is about as close to a MX track that I've ever been on :giveup:

It was great to finally get to ride with Rusty and Steve. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics, because when I pulled out my camera bag, I found nothing but lenses; the camera was sitting on my desk at home :doh:

So, I'll leave the pics up to Rusty and Steve :thumb:

Now I'm off to church :sun:

Last edited:
I wanted to go yesterday but had a staff meeting at work so I'd thought about going today but the weather around here this morning made me rethink hitting the road. Now I wonder if we should have gone ahead and headed out this morning? I guess once we hear from the Sunday group I'll know if I made a bad decision.

Yea, I heard Rusty wonder aloud if you were going to make it. You definitely missed out on ideal trail conditions. Wouldn't be surprised if Rusty's lonely today, didn't look like many were planning on camping and most were already leaving at around 3:30.

I broke out the video camera a few times, but not while we were riding... just having too much fun. I did get Tony out on the "MX track" before loading up though:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6vBLFJKDRv4

Last edited:
we stopped by Sat and took a peek, on Sun we arrived with a brand spanking new Hondas, a CRF 100F and a 230F

photos: 1) camp 2) owner David showing Matt that clutch thingy 3) Matt got the hang of it 4) Dad figuring things out 5) Stephanie doing the put put

thanks to Rusty for the tour of a few trails and the test ride, I took Matt on the "easy rider" towards the end of the day, he had a "few close calls" as he put it

were now members :thumb: oh yea whats a TORCH rider???

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 243
I wanted to go yesterday but had a staff meeting at work so I'd thought about going today but the weather around here this morning made me rethink hitting the road. Now I wonder if we should have gone ahead and headed out this morning? I guess once we hear from the Sunday group I'll know if I made a bad decision.

You made a bad decision. I'll post up more later when I get the pics off the camera. Sun came out and the trails were as good as yesterday. There were some other TWT'ers up there and I'm sure they'll post up too...or maybe they already have since I haven't gotten further than Hemibee's post so far.

we stopped by Sat and took a peek, on Sun we arrived with a brand spanking new Hondas, a CRF 100F and a 230F

photos: 1) camp 2) owner David showing Matt that clutch thingy 3) Matt got the hang of it 4) Dad figuring things out 5) Stephanie doing the put put

thanks to Rusty for the tour of a few trails and the test ride, I took Matt on the "easy rider" towards the end of the day, he had a "few close calls" as he put it

were now members :thumb: oh yea whats a TORCH rider???

Hey I saw you doing the Easy Rider loop as I headed out. Did you hear the air horn on the RV?

i better get an eye and ear exam for missing you head out in that huge RV, maybe the trees had our undivided attention

You made a bad decision.

Dang, I knew that was going to happen. If I'd made the 325 mile round trip it would have been the opposite. Even as much fun as I've had there at Crooked Creek, I don't like it when it's REAL WET and I was afraid that is what was going to happen. Oh well, win some - lose some.

I have a few, sorry but my poor camera skils left some of you blurry.;-)
Casey in the woods
P1010955.jpg
Tony and Col looking like the sign.:lol2:
P1010952.jpg

Tony showing off
P1010989.jpg

KLR whip, Tony is the man!
P1010916.jpg

Rusty admiring Casey's DR
P1010913.jpg

Tony taking a break
P1010912.jpg

My sons, Whit and Col
P1010905.jpg

Whit explaining the gravitation pull of small trees.
P1010910.jpg

Are you ready yet?
P1010903.jpg

Pigs do fly, kinda
P1010942.jpg

Tony and me on the track
P1010943.jpg

Rusty and Casey
P1010991.jpg

Me and a friend
P1020026.jpg

Rusty in the woods
P1010957.jpg

Tony doing a suspension check
P1010948.jpg

We had a great time, good to meet you Casey and Tony.

Last edited:
oh yea whats a TORCH rider???
Texas Off-Roaders under CHrist

Whit explaining the gravitation pull of small trees.
:lol2: I'm so glad he was okay, it was such a bad feeling when he came launching up that bank, me knowing what was in store for him, and there was nothing we could do... he shook it off though, what a man :clap:

Hey I meant to ask, are Whit and Col short for full names, or are those their real names? I have a son on the way and you're giving me ideas :trust:

Texas Off-Roaders under CHrist

:lol2: I'm so glad he was okay, it was such a bad feeling when he came launching up that bank, me knowing what was in store for him, and there was nothing we could do... he shook it off though, what a man :clap:

Hey I meant to ask, are Whit and Col short for full names, or are those their real names? I have a son on the way and you're giving me ideas :trust:

I always cring when they crash, thankfully neither has had anything they couldn't ride away from.

Whit is short for Whitaker, I just liked the name.
Col is short for Colwell, his Mother's last name.

Congrats on the little one!

I always cring when they crash, thankfully neither has had anything they couldn't ride away from.

Whit is short for Whitaker, I just liked the name.
Col is short for Colwell, his Mother's last name.

Looks like the links in your post with the photos have a little extra in the URL. I think if you edit the URL to remove the ?action=view&current= part they should display. The first link doesn't have it.

Okay, my turn to post. I have one short video of Casey on the beginner track but need to figure out how to get that on youtube or some where.

Friday Night:

What a mess. Got the RV from my folks, but needed to rig up the trailer lights and so load it up. Plus Gotdurt was coming by to mount the Teraflex. And at the same time I was supposed to run some stuff by a couple folks house for a church. Everything got done and I was in bed by midnight. Slept horrible because I was worrying about driving the big rig up I35.

Saturday:

Got rolling at 7:30am, only 30 minutes late. About halfway there I needed to stop for a bio break. Fortunately I'm driving a rolling bathroom so I pulled over in a Picnic area. Unfortunately there was a Fed Ex rig that was not parked well and there was a gap between it and several other rigs that was very close to the width of an 18 wheeler. So after I did my business I got out and looked to see if I could squeeze past. While I was studying the situation a big rig came through and just barely made it :eek2: I figured I was a little narrower so I went for it. As I got up to my mirrors near the rig on the left I noticed that the rig before me didn't make it...there was a little mirror broken and just hanging on. However I managed to clean it. The rest of the drive went smoothly. Got to the park and lowered the outriggers and put of the slides.

Got to talking to much then had to rush around getting geared up. Discovered that I only forgot one thing. The bladder for my camelback. Oh well, I just swung by the RV and got water between loops. Headed out with Ghoti and kids, Gotdurt and Disbanded (Tony). Great traction and I took off faster than I usually do for a first lap. Part of that was the traction, part was this was the first time on the WR there and part was two big thumpers and a 2-stroke with a teenager on my rear. I knew I was in trouble with them that close and me on a trail I knew and going faster that I did on the old bike. I offered to let gotdurt or disbanded lead, but they wanted me to keep them sane. Fortunately they finally took over and that was the last I saw of the 650's and the 2 stroke. I hung with ghoti and his youngest for the rest of that lap.

Then we played at the track. Here are some pictures.

Disbanded railing a corner
PICT2120.jpg

Doing the Bubba scrub - yes, that is a KLR
PICT2121.jpg

Ghoti on the 650L
PICT2122.jpg

Pull up, your nose is too low
PICT2129.jpg

gotdurt in the corner
PICT2131.jpg

Forest is a 12 year old that just moved up to the CRF150 he's riding a couple of weeks ago. He's got it figured out on the track, but I'm still faster than him on the trails. For now. His dad doesn't ride yet, so I've been using Forest as a riding buddy. Somebody to tell the emergency folks were my body is lying. :rofl: He did come in semi-useful when the plate fell off my WR on Hog Wild. At the end he pulls up next to me and tells me it fell out way back there. :doh: He didn't pick it up, but knew exactly where it fell so I got it pretty easily. Here's Forest on the track:

PICT2123.jpg

PICT2127.jpg

So, here is my home away from home for the weekend. Hot showers and satelite tv. However I was so tired from riding I had a cold beer, hot dinner and went to bed by 7:30

PICT2133.jpg

And this was the view out my door on Sunday morning.
PICT2136.jpg

Col's a quick kid, pretty competitive; I rode behind him while he chased Tony at one point, watching him work that bike. Has he raced yet?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Pull up, your nose is too low
PICT2129.jpg
I think part of my problem with the rear popping up (had the same problem coming out of the ditches) is the uber stiff spring with poor rebound damping I have in the rear. The stiff spring is a necessary evil though, to deal with the loads when I'm packed for an adventure ride.

Look at the size of that tire! :shock:

I totally forgot to mention riding with Jbay and meeting his family on Sunday. They are all new to the dirt and his son was on his first bike. Really cool to be able to learn on a brand new CRF100. I took James out the main road to the lake, then showed him the other two tracks. Since he got a family membership out there, I expect he'll be out there a bunch with the family.

Also, I felt brave after watching Casey and Tony ride the DR650 and KLR650 out there so I took the Transalp out on Sunday. Only did the road and the easy rider loop. And maybe the track some. I could tell that if I was riding right and picked a good line it was perfectly happy, but the fork is a little noodly for getting to hard on it. Plus I have less ground clearance than the other bikes. However it really was quite good for it's size. Engine had great gobs of torque for running up the hills.

Sunday I took the WR out by myself and did the Twist and Shout loop (bike only difficult) and then swung over and did Crippling Creek (bike only and lots of tight creek crossings) Should have taken the big bikes through there on Saturday. I wouldn't have been the slow one. We might even of had to pick a couple up.

Col's a quick kid, pretty competitive; I rode behind him while he chased Tony at one point, watching him work that bike. Has he raced yet?

He's my favorite riding buddy!:clap: He takes great lines and loves to slide into corners. This is the first time we've ridden trails that fast, Cherokee is typically more technical. He hasn't raced, I'd like him to try it, he doesn't really care as long as it involves riding.

I think part of my problem with the rear popping up (had the same problem coming out of the ditches) is the uber stiff spring with poor rebound damping I have in the rear. The stiff spring is a necessary evil though, to deal with the loads when I'm packed for an adventure ride.

Look at the size of that tire! :shock:

That happens because you were chopping the throttle on the face of the jump, you were doing it on the WR too.

That happens because you were chopping the throttle on the face of the jump, you were doing it on the WR too.
Like I said, "part of the problem". The heavy spring does make the rear kick pretty bad, probably magnified by chopping. I was chopping because I have a hard time processing the idea of leaving the the ground on purpose... :lol2: I don't have a problem with getting air on a trail, but the the whole track and jump thing screws with my head, especially having a sloped landing; that makes me want to go nose down.

Did I jump the WR250? That thing freaked me out... my input is so magnified on that bike that I was afraid to move around, it's so light. I also couldn't get used to the throttle and power characteristics. It's so high strung and having very limited and weak wrist movement and control (I actually have to use my shoulder and elbow a lot), I had to work to get it up in the power band, then it was really sensitive to throttle movement... The 650 so much more forgiving to my jerky, flawed throttle input, and I just work it at whatever rpm, high or low, only changing gears when absolutely necessary, in fact I typically ride with my hand off the clutch, except in the tight stuff. My little herky-jerky throttle movements have little effect.

Like I said, "part of the problem". The heavy spring does make the rear kick pretty bad, probably magnified by chopping. I was chopping because I have a hard time processing the idea of leaving the the ground on purpose... :lol2: I don't have a problem with getting air on a trail, but the the whole track and jump thing screws with my head, especially having a sloped landing; that makes me want to go nose down.

Did I jump the WR250? That thing freaked me out... my input is so magnified on that bike that I was afraid to move around, it's so light. I also couldn't get used to the throttle and power characteristics. It's so high strung and having very limited and weak wrist movement and control (I actually have to use my shoulder and elbow a lot), I had to work to get it up in the power band, then it was really sensitive to throttle movement... The 650 so much more forgiving to my jerky, flawed throttle input, and I just work it at whatever rpm, high or low, only changing gears when absolutely necessary, in fact I typically ride with my hand off the clutch, except in the tight stuff. My little herky-jerky throttle movements have little effect.

I don't mind the jumping part, it's the landings.:lol2:

Please allow me to add one of my pics from Crooked Creek. I really liked those trails out there and can't wait to do it again.

Blister.jpg

Please allow me to add one of my pics from Crooked Creek. I really liked those trails out there and can't wait to do it again.
Did you lance that bad boy yet? That's the one area that I didn't suffer - no blisters, for once.

Just a sore lower back here. I can feel that I rode, but no major soreness.
I seem to get more and more sore, and in more places... seems like everytime I move, I discover another sore muscle group :lol2: At work today I'd forget and get up and start walking to quickly, only to cuss myself as I grab for any nearby table/cabinet/cube wall that I can brace myself on...

I remember having the same problem in the past when I'd get off the bike for a while then get back on as if I never stopped... This has just been a longer while :doh: Usually only takes a couple of hard rides then it's no longer a problem. All the better excuse to do it more often :trust:

Back