• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt Ride (training?) - April 2nd - Crooked Creek Cycle Park

Reaction score
Here's my take on the day:

Short version: Brrrr. Drone. Hi! w00t. Munch. w00t. splat. snap. Saved. Drone. Wind. Hot tub.

All pics: clicky

Blowhard version:

It was 40*F and calm when I started out on the roadified DR. I was going to go up 95 and wind my way to the cycle park, but getting out a bit later than planned, I decided to blast up I-35. I was prety toasty, but the windblast was fierce, and my seat/suit combination was slippery. I really missed the Futura's slab-manners and comfort.

Anyway, before long I was pulling into the cycle park, and met Lori, who took a pittance and made me sign my name saying I wouldn't sue her when I got stupid.

18779103-M.jpg

As folks started to arrive, I met some new friendly people, and their dogs :-), including:

Rusty (Woodbutcher)
18779128-M.jpg

Jeff (Doc) (in black; I think he had a bit of fun) and Rusty's buddy Brad
18779123-M.jpg

Philip (pdef) and Tracey (kawgrl, thanks to Hemibee for the screen name reminder). Apologies for calling her Stacey. :oops: Tracey was a real trooper, going around trails, having never ridden a dirt bike before today. :chug:
18779118-M.jpg

John (Irondawg) brought his lovely entourage with him.
18779124-M.jpg

John's wife, Lupita, even had a go at this dirt bike stuff, good on her!
18779117-M.jpg

I think John's gonna ditch the GS and downsize... :twisted:
18779116-M.jpg

I don't have pics for John (Dyna Sport?) and Tony (Hemibee), and I've probably left out other attendees, sorry... :oops:

Btw, it's good to be one of Hemibee's kids, apparently family membership rates each one a KTM. :clap

So, I dropped the pressures in the DR's tires per Rusty's advice, popped off the topcase, and told the DR to pretend it was a dirt bike like the others. The tires sort of gave it away (as did the license plate, turn signals, etc.).
18779114-M.jpg

And off we went, with Rusty patiently helping us n00bs out on the various easy trails.

After lunch, I decided to make a go of one of the trails on my own, and of course, managed to do a 1 1/2 small biffs. The 1/2 one was exactly where Tracey had run off trail on the previous run; so it obviously wasn't Tracey, it was a devilish bend. I almost dropped it, but managed to muscle it upright in time.

I wasn't so fortunate (or skilled) a few minutes later, as I froze on a particularly challenging little horseshoe of a turn, and dropped the bike on the left side after venturing a few feet into the weeds.

The picture lies, this rut (viewed from the exit) is easily 12-15' deep... :moon:
18780945-M.jpg

Time for damage assessment. Uh-ohhhhhhh. Time-out.
18779126-M.jpg

I figured I'd better solve this problem somehow, before I run out of Gatorade and wind up joining the horse (?) in the middle of this picture...
18779127-M.jpg

Once again, Rusty came through, and provided a usable spare clutch lever that he had kept from his DRZ.
18779129-M.jpg

One small problem, my DR has a clutch switch that prevents the engine from starting. That connecting piece had broken off, so I had to use the toolkit's pliers to hot-wire the switch whenever I wanted to start the bike.
18779130-M.jpg

Anyway, off I went back to the group. After a bit of jawing with other folks, and a quick spin around the field on Rusty's REALLY FUN CRF230 (ask Doc if you don't believe me ;-) ), I re-roadified the DR and myself, and braved the windblast back to Round Rock on I-35, only a few hours after my kitchen pass expired. A couple of Advil and a dip in the hot tub, and I declare the day decidedly dandy. :chug:

Despite the little drama caused by warm-weather freezing on that bend, I am happy in that I accomplished my main goal, which was to slide the DR around a bit in the dirt, and get used to that. Rusty (and everyone, really) were great about making it a fun learning experience.

The bike and the tires (Avon Distanzias) were great; the rubber seemed to hook up nicely on all the dry stuff (grass, dirt, gravel), and though the bike hardly ever saw any gear besides 1st (and even that involved a lot of clutch slipppage), the machine was very tractable and fun. On the road, the tires were very quiet and sure-footed. w00t.

Thanks again to Rusty for coordinating a great day, and for coming through in (on?) a clutch. :chug:

The only downside of the day, really, is that I think I want yet another type of bike. :twisted:

18779132-M.jpg

You'll learn quickly which vital parts to carry spares of, which silly switches to bypass (kickstand too) and that trying to keep the bike pretty is futile... Some aluminum handguards (AKA barkbusters) are good at protecting the levers FYI.

Glad you had fun. Wish I could've joined everyone, but it was time to fix the A/C in the car :roll: .

It was hard to tell who had the best time. Was it Doc when he had the Yellow Jacket fly into his helmet? Or was it Irondawg when he was helping Dyna Sport get up the creek bank and took a wrong step? Maybe it was Doc when he hit that tree and knocked a 6"X 8" piece of bark off the side of the tree and left it showing bare wood? Or maybe it was Kawgrl riding dirt bikes for the first time. It would be hard to beat the fun Irondawgs wife, Lupita had on the two bikes she rode. Paul did seem to have a good time. One thing I might add, always have some one riding with you when you hit the trails since you never know when you will get caught in those 12 to 15' canyons (ruts) and break something. When we came past Paul we couldn't help but notice his problem so we all stopped to help look for the missing nut and broken clutch lever. We are not sure if the Gatorade was going to do much good at this time or not.

Irondawg, Mopower, Buck000, Woodbutcher, Doc and Dyna Sport
dsc004154ib.jpg

Sorry Paul, they made me do it............. :shame:

I'm not sure of everyone riding with us was aware of it or not but there was a pond on the other side of a large man made hill just across the field from the parking area. Doc was good to inform all of this pond since he had the best first hand experience with it. It was a blast listening to him tell that story. I can only hope it will be as good when it is published as it was around the parking area.

If you look real close, about middle of the photo on the right hand side you can see Mt. Doc just below the tree line. John, Alex, Paul, Rusty and Jeff. Brad is hiding behind Jeff.
dsc004009nv.jpg

Paul, Rusty, John, Brad and Jeff
dsc004048wm.jpg

dsc004012ah.jpg

Alex, Philip, Tracey, Rusty and Paul
dsc004052un.jpg

Alex trying to get use to his new bike. Lord help us if he ever gets use to it. I've already eaten enough of his dust.
dsc004248if.jpg

dsc004238pv.jpg

Lupita giving the TTR a try. Man did she look like she was having fun. Guess who is going to have to buy another bike?
dsc004211zk.jpg

dsc004200ir.jpg

dsc004193ok.jpg

John, Tony, Rusty, John and Jeff behind the tree.
dsc004176yn.jpg

Had a blast and can't wait to do it again. I may have to get y'all to our riding area to sample some creek crossings and sections with such names as "Snake Canyon", "Skull Creek", "Poo Creek", "Magic Forest", "Camelback", "Double Dip" (which has also been called 'Oh, Jesus' and a few names I can't put in here and the rest of the trail sections.

Hemibee said:
Irondawg, Mopower, Buck000, Woodbutcher, Doc and Dyna Sport
dsc004154ib.jpg

Sorry Paul, they made me do it............. :shame:

:rofl

Looks like my 'dirt-trail diet' is paying off, I've never been so thin!!!!

Thanks for the advice, I know I shouldn't have gone off by myself. Live and learn... :oops:

Had a blast! Thanks for letting us ride your bikes, Rusty and Tony. Thanks Rusty for showing us the ropes and being so patient.

Yup that was a lot of fun. The woods were bit tight for a big 620, but all the trails were great. Was nice meeting everyone and riding with folks.

We should do a day at some other places like Sam Houston Forest, Muenster and Gilmer.

I think Doc had a good time and took to it like a duck to water once he figured out riding a 300lb 620 in the tight woods isn't beginners stuff, should we start a pool on when he gets his first little dirt thumper?

Dyna Sport said:
I think Doc had a good time and took to it like a duck to water once he figured out riding a 300lb 620 in the tight woods isn't beginners stuff, should we start a pool on when he gets his first little dirt thumper?

Tuesday May 17, 2005 at 09:45 8-)

Hemibee sent over a couple of videos he took, I'll have em up in a bit.

Glad he picked that crossing and not the next one. :)

Ok here's a couple of quick vids of gettin dirty.... Right click the link and "save as"...

Movie 1

Movie 2

Looks like we may have a third video coming.

I would have taken som pics but I forgot to put a memory card in my camera before I left the house. :oops:

Well, I got home late and took my time unpacking. This morning I got up and started doing the honey-do's that I owed my wife, then I gave the bikes a good washing and re-lubbed the chains. Then spent some time chasing down that suspension squeak on the xr100 and adjusting the clutch cable, brake and shifter levers, brake and clutch handle positions and the idle. Tracy, I think you will like it better now. Everything is easier to reach and it doesn't stall as easily. Plus you don't have to give it gas when you kick it.

Anyway, everybody else has posted pictures and all I have to add is a movie of Lupita riding the TTR. I sent Dyna Sport a note and we will see if we can get that posted too.

I can home tired and slightly sunburned, but very satisfied with the day. I think everybody got a chance to ride at least one bike and got to feel what if was like to ride in the dirt (or in some case, mud).

I agree that we need to do it again, maybe Tourmiester Scott can help with coordinating a ride at Sam Houston National forest. I've never been there, but between the trails and dirt roads there we should be able to make the larger bike and the dirt bike riders both happy.

Paul, you did good on the those tires. They look more street than dirt, but I think the size of the bike was more of a factor. I started with the DRZ which is tall and heavy for a dirt bike and it took me a long time to get comfortable. I still hop on the CRF and feel invincible because it is so much easier to ride in the tight stuff.

Pdef, you took to it well. I see a dirt bike in your future for sure. Tracy, you were a good sport kicking both of those bikes. Specially with the idle so low that they would die again on you. We should have put you on the CRF for a quick ride. It really sounds more powerful than it really is.

Tony, your son is fast. He did heck of job staying behind me without running me over when I got squirelly and left me in the dust when I put him in front.

Doc, you really rode well for the first time in the dirt, and I could tell you enjoyed it by the number of times you thanked me for letting you ride the CRF.

Dyna Sport, I'm impressed. I know you really had to be working in the woods on that beast. We need to find some more creek crossings for you to practice on.

Irondawg, I think that DR of yours is louder than the CRF. I always knew when you were still behind me. You daughter is cute and thanks for letting me entertain her for a while. It's nice to borrow every once in a while, but don't want to start again though. At 12 and 17 for my kids, I'm looking forward to an empty nest now.

For those of you that didn't make it, you missed some great weather riding in the open and the trees, with minimal mud and lots of flowers starting to come out.

WoodButcher said:
I agree that we need to do it again, maybe Tourmiester Scott can help with coordinating a ride at Sam Houston National forest. I've never been there, but between the trails and dirt roads there we should be able to make the larger bike and the dirt bike riders both happy.

Scott, I will work with you on setting one up for the forest. The west side may be the best with the larger parking areas. It will probably be the best to keep lost riders at a minimum. Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Paul, I forgot to say, that wasn't a rut, it was a mini-berm and you were supposed to lean over and rail it. :-D There were real ruts out on the trail, complete with straight sides and mud. :eek:

When I was riding the CRF with John(Dyna) and Brad on the Bertha trail, I went into a rut so deep it kicked the footpegs up and my legs off. I got scared and laid it over to the side but it was so deep that it only tilted about 20 degrees without a rider. :-)

Also on that ride, I was behind John and he stalled out coming up out of a creek and I was right behind him. I couldn't move the bike out of the way so I just had to sit there and wait for the mud shower as he made it up and out. It's fun getting a little muddy. Of course I didn't clean the bike.. (sorry Rusty) :chug:

Ok, after a bit of internetery faniggling, here's vid #3 from Woodbutcher...

May need Quicktime to view it, it's in .mov format. Right click the link and "save as"...

Movie #3

I'll let Hemibee and Woodbutcher tell about the videos.

We definately need to do this again soon.

Video #1 is Alex trying to get use to his new bike. This one will fly and he is just testing it's wings on some short flights. It seems like he is getting a little more comfortable on it, he was taking some of the corners pretty quick by locking the rear end up to begin sliding and then powering thru them.

Video #2 was the first creek crossing on the trail. Alex and I had sped off from the group to get in place to video it since we had heard some good stories about the creek crossing on the first ride. This one doesn't look to bad in the video but with wet tires and the slippery slope it can be a real pain to climb out of. You can notice a little foot action by one of the riders, Doc I promise I won't say who it was, which is mild compared to what it would have been like if there had been any rain in the past few days. I wish I had been ready to video the other creek crossing. It didn't go as smooth and would have been fun to review. One of these days I'm going to get a helmet cam so I don't miss some of the great shots we all talk about later on.

Alex and I were talking this morning and he made me realize something I did not think about once we got to riding. With the group I normally ride with, we don't try to avoid roosting the rider behind us. In fact a lot of the time, well most of the time we try to roost them. To any of you that I roosted yesterday, I apologize for my lapse in friendly riding, that is except for who ever roosted me with that cow patty coming across the field back to the parking area. Just glad it was to the roost deflector (chest protector) instead of the helmet because it was real fresh. :rofl

WoodButcher said:
Paul, I forgot to say, that wasn't a rut, it was a mini-berm and you were supposed to lean over and rail it. :-D There were real ruts out on the trail, complete with straight sides and mud. :eek:

No, no, no, I thought we discussed this story before it went public. That was no berm, that was a rut-going-on-canyon.

Waitaminnit, this isn't a PM, is it....uh-oh

I'd like to go back and watch someone rail a large bike with street tires on it, so I can see how it's supposed to be done. I like role models... :-P

:tab Sounds like you folks had a great time!! Wish I could have been there. I've never ridden on the trails in Sam Houston NF, only on the forest roads. So I don't know who much help I can be in organizing a get together other than using my place as a staging grounds because we are only 15-20 minutes from the riding area.

Video #2 - additional info. You can see Alex (Hemibee's son) in the left part of the screen watching. First bike up is my friend Brad on his old school XR250L, then Doc on my CRF, then Dyna Sport on his KTM beast, finally Irondawg on his DR350. Only one of those bike was from this century. :-D

Video #3 - Irondawg's wife, Lupita (correct?), trying out the loaner ttr125. She gets off to a fine start, but ends up thinking it is too fast compared to the GT80 she started the day on. She rides is a little more and lucky for her I didn't film anymore. ;-) She made a wide turn and found a low spot followed by a high spot and got out of sorts. She bounced right up afterwards though. A good sport.

Tourmeister said:
:tab Sounds like you folks had a great time!! Wish I could have been there. I've never ridden on the trails in Sam Houston NF, only on the forest roads. So I don't know who much help I can be in organizing a get together other than using my place as a staging grounds because we are only 15-20 minutes from the riding area.

Hmm, so we could use someone that has ridden the trails to lead that. I was thinking along the lines of trails for the non-plated bikes and the adventurous others. Some sort of easy road loop with dirt roads for those that want to add some skills/comfort for the bigger DS bikes. And maybe something longer for those that want to cover more ground, like you normally do in that area.

If we work out of one parking lot, then we can keep meeting back and regrouping so people can try what they like. How's that sound?

If ya look close I think everyone dabs a foot coming up that crossing, I know I did.

I geared my bike up a couple of weeks ago for the big bend trip, I went from a 48 tooth rear sprocket I had on the bike for tighter dirt riding to a 40 tooth rear sprocket for roads and open riding.

I was geared way too tall for all that tight stuff, and way too easy to stall.

That ride has me thinking about dropping my front sprocket from 16 to 15 to maybe just get a little more RPM's without having to buy a longer chain.

That and buying a 400 or something for tight trails. :-)

Do we have anyone here that is real familiar with the SHNF trails?

WoodButcher said:
Hmm, so we could use someone that has ridden the trails to lead that. I was thinking along the lines of trails for the non-plated bikes and the adventurous others. Some sort of easy road loop with dirt roads for those that want to add some skills/comfort for the bigger DS bikes. And maybe something longer for those that want to cover more ground, like you normally do in that area.

If we work out of one parking lot, then we can keep meeting back and regrouping so people can try what they like. How's that sound?
I know them very well, provided they haven't changed too much in the last 5 years. I even know of some secret trails, but that's all I can tell ;-). All I need is a loaner bike.... You might also talk to Bagwell.

There are some easy ones that the GSers can ride (slowly) without problem, just to get their feet wet (maybe not literaly). Also quite a few hidden jeep and old logging trails.

We have ridden there several times, but it has been over a year since we last went. Most of the trails are like highways/atv trails. There isn't really anything difficult out there, so it would be a good dual sport riding experience. You may want to drop the gearing a little bit more because there are some sandy spots and a few hills out there.

Back