• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Trip Report] TWT Big Bend Rally April 15-17th

Crap!! It was all there last night at 2:00am!! :miffed: :miffed:

I don't know what happened to it. Perhaps there is a mximum length and it just got truncated. But I saw it after I submitted it!! :tears: :tears:

I hate when that happens. It is so hard for me to get motivated to go back and try to recreate what I have already done. I'll see what I can do... After all, we have to have the part where you hit the silt... ;-)

Adios,

Always best to compose long posts offline in notepad or wordpad adn keep em saved till you know they got uploaded ok.

:tab Yeah, I do that sometimes. But what is weird is that I did get it submitted and I saw the complete post afterwards. I have had them before where it would not let me submit the post because it was really long, but I have never had one where it truncated it after the fact! Oh well, it was nothing exciting... just everything after the goat trail by the runway...

Adios,

A few more pics from the road-riding group -

Claire & Will comin' round the Bend -

The view from the McDonald Observatory parking lot -

Classic design -

Design influenced by Buckminster Fuller -

The crew departs -

As for the rest of trip, it was a blast. Had a great group of folks to share it with too! :chug:

The only real downside: I learned a lesson about neglecting to put the room reservation on a credit card, but it worked out pretty well - the place down the road that Todd found for us wasn't much to look at but it was very cheap and the towels were so big and fluffy that I had trouble packing all of them into my saddlebags. ;-)

I definitely want to go back and do the road up to the observatory again some day - that's one of the best stretches of pavement anywhere! 8-)

Hey Paul,

The "The Crew Departs" shot is awesome! It just needs some spaghetti-western music to go with it. Very fitting for the locale! :chug:

Ditto on the observatory road comment. That's one of those roads you pound (lightly tho') you fist on the tank at the end because it..... ends.

As I was saying...

:tab All the grazing land imaginable and what do the cattle do? They run along the road :roll: So we finally decide to just cruise up the road nice and slow making some noise until the get the hint and move away from the road. We have to repeat this procedure several more times. Eventually we reach the end of the road. There are some scattered buildings, some vehicles and ranch equipment, and a house of sorts. A dog barks wildly in the yard of the house but otherwise the place seems totally deserted. My GPS shows that this road dead ends next to a runway and at the other end of the runway, another road starts up. John's GPS shows some kind of trail connecting the roads, so we decide to follow that. It pretty much is a trail, lots of loose sand and scrub brush hanging over the path. We follow it and sure enough, at the other end we find something that looks like a vehicle might have driven over it a few times thus creating a "road". How this ever got on the maps is beyond me... :scratch

:tab We run this little goat trail thing that consist of loose gravel/sand, ruts and potholes. It follows real close to a barbed wire fence, so falling to the left would be ugly :-| With cacti on the right, falling that direction is not exactly appealing either! Shortly we find ourselves on the other end in an open flat area. I look around wondering if there is really a road here somewhere? The ground looks like some kind of black volcanic based rock that has the consistency of very coarse sand. Most of the vegetation stops at about two to three feet tall. Scanning around I spot what looks like faint tire tracks in rocks leading off into the brush. It seems to go the direction where the GPS indicates there should be a road so off we go!

:tab There are some pretty nasty potholes, ruts and washouts. Standing on the pegs, the GS is flopping around under me yet I never feel like I am on the edge of control. I just stick it in second gear and motor on through. Some of the really big bumps test the limits of the suspension, but it soaks them up without too much trouble. Considering the weight of the bike, myself and the luggage, that is no small thing! We cross numerous dry creekbeds and soon the ground begins to change to a pinkish red color and the taller vegetation gives way to tons of little bushes covered with yellow flowers. Jack Rabbits are springing out from the side of the road every few hundred yards and then bouncing off into the distance. Looks like a decent place to stop for another break and soak in the views.

DSC03611.jpg

Marks bike after a day and a half of running midpack int he dust
DSC03612.jpg

Looks smooth and flat right? Looks can be deceiving...
DSC03613.jpg

:tab We have a few more cattle encounters along the way. At one, Randy just cruise right up through the middle of them and they part like the Red Sea. But then they freak and regather right in the middle of the road after he has gone through. Then Will heads off road thinking he will herd them with his bike and promptly runs over something that stops him in his tracks :lol: He has to dismount to get the bike unstuck and headed back towards the road. We work our way through the cattle and they reluctantly head away from the road. Past the cattle, the road starts to take on more of a loose sand quality making the front end sort of wander aimlessly. It is hard to get used to that feeling when cruising along at 45 mph, but fighting it only makes things worse.

:tab We are now heading generally Northeast, crossing numerous creekbeds, having fun sliding around the turns and generally being squidly. Soon we come upon another collection of buildings. Just prior to them, there are signs on the road stating that all ammo should be removed from any guns beyond this point... Same thing on the other side once we figure out which road is the one we want. Must be some kind of hunting ranch or something. A few miles further up the road and we reach another water crossing, Terlingua Creek.

Mark going back so I can shoot video
DSC03614.jpg

And Don
DSC03615.jpg

Will, Mark, Don and John doing the crossing.

Looking back at the pit
DSC03617.jpg

Looking up from the pit to the top of the hill
DSC03618.jpg

Your's truly... floaties and all :-P

:tab Leaving the water crossing behind, we set about getting dust caked to our wet riding gear and bikes. Mark and I are running point at about 40-45mph when I come to a fast corner. As I get into the corner leaned over and sliding, the gravel becomes loose silt and the road drops into a wide gully. Committed, I have no choice but to attack it and hope for the best. I stand up, lean back a little, relax my grip on the bars and pour on the gas... I'd love to say it is my Mad Skilz that get me across the other side; however, as much as I am bouncing from side to side clear across the gully and up the other side, I will have to say it is mostly good luck! Seeing the monster cloud behind me, I know Mark and the others have very little chance of being as lucky...

:tab By the time I get off the bike and turn to face the gully, the dust has cleared slightly and I can see the dim shadowy figure of Mark standy over his GS looking slightly confused and dazed. Then much to my dismay, the next thing to emerge from the cloud is Randy... heading straight for Mark's GS!! Somehow he manages to swerve and miss it. I am yelling at Mark to run to the other side of the gully to warn the others. He disappears into the haze about the same time Will comes blasting through with a wild look on his face! Again, somehow he manages to miss Mark's reclining steed. Fortunately, Don and John have hung back a bit and Mark successfully warns them before they start across. Satisfied that Mark is uninjured, out come the cameras!

Don paddling the DRZ through the powder
DSC03620.jpg

John motors through on the KTM unfazed...

Mark's a real trooper and takes it all in stride
DSC03622.jpg

We send Mark back for a chance to redeem himself :lol:

:tab When Mark starts his bike, it creates a small dust storm :lol: I don't know that he will ever get all that dirt out of the nooks and crannies of the GS. We resume our run, albeit a bit more cautiously! The terrain looks basically flat with gullys and washouts that come up real quick, and like the cattle guards in the Hill Country, they always seem to be in the corners at the worst possible place! Go figure!? Now we're back to hard ground, loose gravel and lots of dust. To our left is a long ridge line with massive boulders that litter the base of the ridge between the road and the ridge. Seeing one of those things break loose and come tumbling down the cliff face would really be a sight :eek:

DSC03624.jpg

DSC03625.jpg

It's much taller than it looks, close to 250 feet according the topo maps. Once right up under it, I don't doubt it one bit!
DSC03626.jpg

:tab John and I spend a few minutes pondering some smaller roads that wander up into the hills and generally head North, eventually bringing us back to Us 90. However, it is getting on the afternoon and the likelihood of being able to get through that maze without getting lost before dark seems slim. We opt to just continue heading for Hwy 118, which should not be much further. Sure enough, about ten minutes later, we reach they highway, but there is a slight problem...

DSC03627.jpg

DSC03628.jpg

It would appear that we are on private property after all. We can almost spit to the highway and yet have no way to get there! Gas could be an issue, but we have not yet dipped into our reserves. The thought of actually having to go back actually appeals to us somewhat except for the time involved. John tells me that there is a truck coming behind us in the distance. I take a look and sure enough, there is a dust cloud getting closer and larger. I had been very careful to look at all the fences and cattle guards as we made our way into this area to see if there were any posted or no trespassing signs. I doubt this rancher is going to really care much about that... I am not really looking forward to any kind of confrontation. I turn back around to face the gate and then see Will standing there with one of the locks in his hand and the gate open!? Seems I did not notice that one of the locks was actually unlocked! What a stroke of good luck!! We quickly move the bikes out to the highway, close the gate and get moving!

:tab There is still a few hours of light remaining and still being high on the whole dirt riding thing, we look for some side roads that might be fun and still take us bsically North. All the gates we pass are obviously locked and marked as posted. So we have to suffer through the next 35 miles of twisty curvy Hwy 118 up to Alpine... It's brutal! Even though it is still quite light out, the sun is getting lower on the horizon and the temperature is already dropping rapidly. Crusing along the pavement and soaking in the beautiful scenery, it occurs tome that the best is already over for the weekend and it bringes a twinge of regret. We soon reach town, get to the hotel and find the street riders already settling in for dinner at a restaurant next to the hotel. We join them for an evening of story telling and laughter before retiring to the hotel and eventually calling it an evening.

Sunday May 17th - 690 miles

:tab Sunday morning arrives much to early. I find myself laying in bed trying to figure out ways I can sleep later and still get home at a reasonable hour. I am still in that half sleep half away dream state and it includes things like flying and teleporting... Finally reality forces its' way in and I am left with no choice but to get moving. After getting my gear all packed, I head down to the parking lot and find the others. Some have already gone, others that were planning on heading out at the crack of dawn are still here... hehe. Randy, Will Bird and I head out.

:tab The run East on US 90 to Comstock is tough. The farther East we get, the colder and windier it gets. We're running a pretty fast pace and sucking down the gas. A quick stop in Sanderson and we are back on the road. We stop in Comstock for a break and some snacks but neglect to get gas at $2.50/gal!! I know better, the first rule of riding in vast open spaces is to get gas whenever possible...

:tab The run down 90 had me feeling pretty stiff and sore because of the cold and lack of moving around on the bike. As we head North on Hwy 163, that fades and I start feeling pretty good. We run a great pace up the road to FM 189. The cactus are not blooming just yet, but I can see they are covered in big fat buds and in a week or so this place will be incredibly colorful! We hit FM 189 and continue the fun pace. I see tons of wild turkeys and more of those pinkish/copper colored snakes. About fifteen miles before reaching the US 277 intersection, my reserve light comes on... :-| We are still a good 45-50 miles from Rocksprings, the next available gas stop!!

:tab When we reach US 277, I pull over to see how the others are doing on gas. Randy and Will are both on fumes... I figure I have close to a gallon still. I am the only one carrying extra gas in a 2-1/2 gallon tank. I drop about a half gallon in my bike, and about 3/4 gallon or so in Randy and Will's bikes. We get going again and just a few miles down the road I look in the mirror and notice there is no one behind me?! I head back to find that Will's bike has sputtered to a stop. It seems the gas takes time to work its' way down through the plumbing in his bike. After a few minutes, we get started again. I reach the turn off for Hwy 55 and once again check the mirrors to see no one is with me. This time we just dump what is left of the gas in Will's bike and hope that Randy and I have enough to make it. Will takes the lead and we start heading East to Rocksprings at a nice gas conserving pace. The weather ahead does not look good...

:tab As we get closer and closer to town, I am starting to get nervous. My reserve light has been on for at least the last 25 miles. It looks like it could start pouring down rain any moment. Will occasionally slows for some reason, but we eventually make it into town and get gas. 5.3 gallons in my 5.5 tank, 5.5 in Randy's 5.3 tank, and 6.3 in Will's 7.0 tank. It turns out that Will was slowing because when he hit a hill, the gas would run to the back of his tank and starve the engine :shock: Too close :lol:

:tab Tanks full once again, we head East on Hwy 55. This time we don't enocunter our friendly constable or any other LEO, but we still run a relaxed pace and enjoy ourselves. We've managed to miss a lot of potential rain so far, I just hope our luck holds. We pass through Campwood and run FM 337 back to Vanderpool where we stop for a BBQ lunch and meet some other riders out enjoyign the roads. Afterwards, Randy splits off and heads for Bandera. Will and I head North on Hwy 187 to Hwy 39 for the run into Kerrville. Then up 16 to Fredericksburg. We take FM 1631 to FM 2721. I've never come this way before and want to check out the roads. They are quite nice. We hit FM 1320 and head North to FM 1323. The blue bonnets are great along this section!

:tab Soon we are headed North on US 281 up to Marble Falls. Again, there is a storm brewing that looks like it will hit us. Sure enough, just outside Marble Falls it hits. As is so annoyingly often the case, it rains hard enough that if I don't get out the gear, I will get soaked. But moments after getting all the gear on, the rain stops :roll: Better safe than sorry, riding home the last three hours wet and cold would not be a good way to end a long day! We reach Will's house in Leander around 7:00pm and I call Beth to let her know when to expect me. The ride home is boring as I stick to the main highways to make time. I am tired and ready to be home. I roll int he driveway about 10:00pm and park the bike in the garage. Sleeping in my own bed tonight will be sweet! I'm sure all I will dream about is huge rocks, sandy washouts, and huge whoops! I cannot wait to go back!

Adios,

FotoMoto said:
Hey Paul,

The "The Crew Departs" is awesome! It just needs some spaghetti-western music to go with it. Very fitting for the locale!
:chug:

Thanks, Doug! The theme from The Magnificent Seven popped into my head when I snapped that image. (O.K., so there were only six of us - it fit the moment! ;-) ) Stopped to fiddle with the camera for a second as we were walking down from the observatory, then looked up and the s.hot was right there. Just got lucky.

oH no, you had to post the vid of the second pit crossing..... :-P
That's just unbearable to watch :roll: ...I think my brain was still in shock mode from the tumble, I don't know why I didn't get on the pegs and gas that pig through there. Oh well, next time! :lol:

Thanks for the write up Scott, I don't know how you remember all those details for your reports. I get to the point where at each little adventure I have to be reminded of all the previous cool stuff we did!
Thanks again for a great weekend!

april 15 2005 sunset

Here's a pic of the sunset as we arrived in Alpine.
big_bend_sunset.JPG

oh, and my tire at the end
tire.JPG

I'd say you got your money's worth out of that tire! Close call! Especially with the rain there near the end...

Adios,

gotdurt said:
Squeaky said:
He had dropped his key and was using a long stick with a magnet on it to try to find and retrieve it. Funny thing is, here's a pic showing where the key landed...
A magnet for a brass key?

Umm, key ring?

Also, did you notice the total lack of compassion from my fellow riders? Geez, don't you all get up at once and help a guy who is over 350 miles from home and just lost his key!!!! :-P

BTW, I had a spare in my wallet but THEY didn't know that. ;-)

Another thing: remember all those pinkish or orange-ish snakes that seemed to be in abundance on the roads?

I talked to a real snake expert about that today at work (he also did a stint at UTEP) and he told me those are commonly called "coach whips", get to about 6 ft and can vary widely in color(s) and are EXTREMELY fast in the strike department (yikes!). They have poor eyesight and are predominantly daylight oriented so that's why we saw so many. I thought it was a cold blood issue and were on the roads for warmth.

Will,

So glad we did waste time finding you a new tire on Saturday, you still had at least 10 miles left on that tire :lol: :eek:

Doug,

You will have to excuse me, but I didnt even know what you had been doing until Squeaky posted here. All I remeber thinking was "I am not sure I really want to know what is going on here" :twisted:

So were those snakes poisonous? I saw a lot of them.

For those of you that went to the Big Bend Rally, I know it is after the fact, but would you be interested in T-shirts with this graphic?

bigbend.jpg

If so, then I will put some shirts together on the Cafe-Press site. I'd put the TWT logo on the front of the shirt.

Adios,

The only poisonous snakes in Texas are Rattlers, Copperheads, Moccasins, and the rarely found Coral Snake, not to be confused with the King Snake. Red on yellow kills a fellow, red on black, poison lack.

For identification purposes, they are all Coralbandedrattlemouthedcoppermoccasins to me, and must be killed for closer identification. :-D

As far as poisonous your only going to see rattlesnakes around big bend I would think at least unless your on a wet creek bank. Mocassins and copperheads prefer cooler damper territory and corals ar rare outside forest and thick woods.

Around Huntsville is about the only area in Texas that is highly populated with ALL the poisonous types in Texas, and coral snakes are not rare there. If I were out to catch a coral or copperhead the piney woods is where I'd head.

Thanks John!! Now Beth will be freaked about letting Sarah outside the house :lol: Her and Kurt think a lot alike when it comes to snakes.

Tourmeister said:
For those of you that went to the Big Bend Rally, I know it is after the fact, but would you be interested in T-shirts with this graphic?
Who drew it? Great work!
:clap

Back