• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

From Here To There, From There To Here... Funny Things Are Everywhere... OUCH!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab So I am standing in the banquet hall the last night of the Junction TAR ride and Richard_ says, "Hey... Do you want to go with me to Arkansas Memorial Day weekend to scout out some routes for a future event?" Well... duh... I have to remind him that he has asked the wrong question. It is not an issue of whether or not I want to go, the proper question is can I go ;-) The wanting is never a problem :-P So anyway, I promise that I will work on the can part and see what I can do.

Friday

:tab Fast forward a month.... Bob "beemin", Roger "rsquared" and Chuck "Ceebee" are here to load up the truck and trailer to head to Arkansas. We will be meeting David "Cagiva549" and his older brother Wayne, and Hardy Baker and his neighbor Ray, up in Waldron. Waldron is North of Mena. All the motels in Mena were booked. We got the last few rooms in Waldron.

Daniel supervises the loading process
IMG_3947.jpg

Chuck unloads his WR
IMG_3948.jpg

Roger and Bob
IMG_3949.jpg

Sarah inspects the bikes for proper tied down
IMG_3950.jpg

Daniel helps
IMG_3951.jpg

:tab 9:00am arrives and we are actually pulling away right on time. The start of a trip is always fun because there is all that nervous anticipation of what is to come. What comes is a shock... When I recover I realize it is my cell phone ringing. Now that might seem odd to most of you, but you have to understand, my cell phone is NEVER on. So when it does ring, it takes me a moment or two to even realize I need to answer it :lol2: When I answer, it is Beth, "Do you know where your suitcase is...?" Oh crap!! "It is sitting here right on the bed where you left it." Uhh.... "Can you toss it in the van and meet me half way?" She replies with that knowing wife tone... "Of course dear, we'll be right there, just let me load up the kids." I crank the truck around on the highway and we haul back towards Huntsville. Fortunately, we had not been on the road very long before she called. A few minutes later we meet at a local gas station for the swap and I thank her for saving my bacon :doh:

:tab So the suitcase snafu sets us back about 30 minutes. However, it is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. We cruise up through East Texas and then up into SW Arkansas on Hwy 41 and 71 to Waldron. We arrive early evening to find other DS riders hanging out in front of the hotel. They are from Illinois, Georgia, and one is from Weatherford, Tx. We quickly make friends and then start unpacking.

They're all retired. That is Chuck on the end answering questions about his WR.
IMG_3952.jpg

Bob and Roger mark our territory :-P
IMG_3953.jpg

The bikes of our new friends, two Dakar 650's, a new 08 KLR 650 and an older KLR 650. These boys have been around...
IMG_3954.jpg

My KLR and Roger's DRZ400
IMG_3955.jpg

Hardy, Ray, Dave and Wayne show up shortly after we get settled
IMG_3956.jpg

Dave's sweet KTM 450EXC
IMG_3957.jpg

:tab We head over to a local "Steakhouse" for dinner. On the way across the parking lot we are trying to figure out which fast food joint used to occupy the building. I'm thinking a Mr. Ghatti's, but we aren't sure. There is a drive through window though :ponder: Once inside we grab a table. The couple next to us is celebrating their 44th wedding anniversary. They recommend the "Surf-n-Turf" special, a big steak with some shrimp. I get a burger. The others go for the special. The burger turns out to be fantastic! It seems the special is pretty good to as the other guys pretty much clean their plates. Unfortunately, the restaurant will be closed for the rest of the holiday weekend :doh: There aren't a lot of places to eat in this little town.

:tab Back at the hotel, we hang out in the parking lot until late in the evening. Dave is passing out some of his "Koolaid"... :shug: However, it will be a freakishly early day tomorrow since everyone wants to get rolling around 8:30am, so I head to bed before too late.

Saturday

:tab The plan is for Richard, Uncle and DirtbikeDave to explore the West side of Mena as they come in from Oklahoma. We will explore the area Northwest and Northeast of Mena on Saturday and Sunday. Richard and his group will explore SE of Mena in the Wold Pen area on Sunday. Then we compare all our notes and tracks to come up with spectacular routes for a future event. Sounds like a plan right... You'd think Richard has read enough of my DS ride reports to know how well my plans typically work out :lol2:

:tab Our group for the day is Roger, Chuck, Bob and myself. Hardy, Dave, Ray and Wayne are going to head towards the Queen Wilamena Lodge for lunch. I have what looks to be a great route laid out in the area West of US 71 and North of US 270. The maps shows TONS of county roads twisting and winding in and around the mountains. So we head out of town for the first road, turn off the highway, hit dirt almost immediately and start a hill climb...

To find this only a 1/4 mile into the route... :doh:
IMG_3958.jpg

:tab Okay... No problem... We'll just back track and readjust the route...

Or not... :argh: Time for more back tracking and adjusting...
IMG_3959.jpg

:tab So we head back towards town and look for a few little county roads that head West, roughly paralleling Hwy 248. Then we head South on CR 9 to get back on our original route. We find CR 101 and it looks to be fun. It is narrow, rocky, and looks to be seldom traveled. It follows a fence line back into the woods. Numerous bushy white tailed rabbits scurry out of the way as I chug along.

And then we come to this after a few hundred yards... :giveup:
IMG_3960.jpg

:tab Well... This is NOT boding well for our efforts. I take another peek at the GPS, figure out a way to just lop off the whole front part of the route, cut South on CR 9 and hope to pick up the remainder of the route, and hopefully NOT encounter any more gates!! So South we go on CR 9, which is actually a fun road. We just have to watch out because it is mostly paved, but has a nasty tendency to become unpaved mid corner :eek2:

[gotta work now, will try to pick up again this evening...]

Re: From Here To There, From There To Here... Funny Things Are Everywhere...

Guys...you are on dual sports. There is a way around that gate:trust: Time for some real off roading.

Delores

Guys...you are on dual sports. There is a way around that gate:trust: Time for some real off roading.

Delores

I don't enjoy being shot at ;-) Also, we were scouting routes for a future event that would have many people. I don't want to be routing people into private property intentionally, particularly in that area :wary:

Very good point you make.

[Okay... so I got busy :doh:... Anyway, back to the story...]

:tab So the gates thus far have caused us to drop quite a bit off the front portion of the route. The good thing about this area is that there are TONS of roads, so rerouting is not too much trouble. We head a little further South on CR 9 and pick up the start of CR 12, which has no gate and is quite nice!

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

:tab We run CR 12 East over to US 71 and decide to just backtrack it to CR 9. That is the direction we would have come in had we been able to stay on the original route. It is not all as straight at what is seen above in those pictures and is quite fun. However, like a lot of the roads in this area, it is covered in loose gravel which often makes it feel like I am riding on a bed of marbles. If you are fine with the bike feeling all loosey goosey, then you'll love it. If not...

:tab After back tracking to CR 9, we head South again. This little short stretch of CR 9 is a real hoot! It is all paved pretty well and quite fun! We head East on CR 106 and it is a lot like CR 12, smooth and loose, but with some good twisty fun!

IMG_3963.jpg

Chuck
IMG_3964.jpg

:tab When the sight lines are long and good, I crank up the KLR and have some fun. It loves to just float along nice and smooth. However, when I reach the corners, I slow wayyy down. I have never been good at trying to slide a bike through corners, especially with the amount of loose gravel present on these roads. On top of that, there is just the issue of what lurks around the corners. Too often I have had close calls with people on back roads that were under the impression they were the only ones on the road :doh: In Arizona, I was almost turned into a hood ornament for a big Dodge that was sliding towards me out of control... :eek2: That one caused an intense moment where I contemplated the sum of my life... :ponder: It has also made me a bit gun shy :wary:

:tab We soon reach US 71 again and head South. My goal is to see if the two ends of CR 14 actually connect at the Fourche Lafave River. All the maps show each going right up to the river as if it crosses, but none actually show it crossing... The first few miles are relatively flat and curvy. We take it slow because we are stuck behind some guy in a truck towing a trailer with some contraption on it that takes up the entire road. Fortunately, when we reach an area that is a little wider, the driver moves right and waves us by him. It is always nice to encounter folks like this and I overtake without going nuts and give a wave on the way past him. A minute or so later we come to a curve in the road where the road and the map disagree.

The road goes this way... no biggie :shrug:
IMG_3965.jpg

So we do to...
IMG_3966.jpg

:tab I quickly realize we are diverging from our planned route and stop. Moments later the truck/trailer catches up to us. I flag him down and ask about the road on the map. It seems it is the old county road that has been bypassed. The driver assures me it is still open to the public and that he drove it for most of his life until they recently made the bypass. Assured that it does go through and does not cross any private property, we turn around.

The map says go this way... which looks like a LOT more fun! :flip:
IMG_3967.jpg

Any road worth bypassing can't be too bad :trust:
IMG_3968.jpg

It gets interesting in a hurry!
IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

:tab Alas... the fun is short lived. The old road turns out to be pretty short and soon drops us out on the new road on the other side of a short climb of a few hundred feet. Then it runs down a long descent into the river valley below. When we reach the point where the road should cross the river... well... there is another locked gate :doh: BUT...! The road takes a right and keeps going off into the woods. Well, we are here to explore, so explore we will! We head off route into the unknown and soon find ourselves enjoying miles of this...

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

:tab The road wanders to the Northwest, generally following the river, but from up on a ridge. My topo maps show these roads, but the aren't on the City Navigator maps. We make a big curve back to the South and soon reach the river.

Debris from recent flooding. It is about 60-70 feet above the current level of the river :eek2:
IMG_3975.jpg

:tab The debris is also blocking a small road that drops down the bank to the edge of the river. Bob and I survey the situation. Other than the first fifteen feet of the crossing, the rest looks pretty easy. Getting the bikes down here would be tough though and would require a group effort and lots of energy. It is HOT right now and the humidity is off the charts down here in the woods with no breeze...

IMG_3976.jpg

:tab While it looks like a road may have gone through here at one time, it does not appear that there is much left of it on the far side. What I do see is lots of barbed wire fence... None of the maps show a road continuing on the other side. However, there are some roads back a ways that look like they might cross further upstream. So we opt for a little back tracking. Perhaps some day I will try CR 14 from the other side and see what is there...

This would make a nice swimming hole
IMG_3979.jpg

The end of the road at the river is a big cleared area covered in gravel, perhaps for camping...
IMG_3980.jpg

:tab Just a short way back up the road into the woods, there is a narrow two track that heads back to the Northwest again. The map shows it reaching several roads that then cut back South across Black Fork creek, a tributary of the Fourche Lafave river, and then connecting with CR 14 on the other side.

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

However... we cannot get through. We encounter a few more dead ends and finally turn back.
IMG_3983.jpg

A few hundred yards beyond this point, nothing but trees... :shrug:
IMG_3984.jpg

:tab We look in vain for a few more of the roads that show on the topo maps. It would seem they no longer exist and have been totally reclaimed by the woods. Hot and needing gas, we give up and back track to US 71 for a break.

There's gas/food in Boles. $4.00/gal for 87 octane :doh:
IMG_3985.jpg

:tab After a nice break of sitting inside the store in the AC, we gear back up and hit the road. Nothing to do now but scoot on down US 71 and try to get back on the route from the South side. Just beyond Y City, there is a road that cuts North along the West side of the river, CR 113. It turns out to be a great little road, winding through the trees, narrow and lightly traveled. It looks like it might connect with CR 131 and then we can run West and get back on route. No dice... :doh:

:tab A few miles further down US 71 we turn North again, on CR 9, the same one from earlier in the day. It climbs up and over a small ridge and then we connect with CR 111 and head West. The roads are now smooth and fairly wide, well maintained and covered with gravel again. Initially, the road is mostly wide sweepers and relatively high speed stuff. We hit CR 3, head back to the Northeast to hit CR 9 again, North to CR 4 and then start heading West again. The following are typical of what we are enjoying.

Chuck
IMG_3986.jpg

Bob
IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

Roger
IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Chuck topping off the WR with his spare tank
IMG_3994.jpg

As you can see, the conditions were brutal... :-P
IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

:tab Done with the fun and games, we get back to the task at hand. It is getting on in the day and we still have a lot of ground to cover. CR 4 drops down into the Black Fork Poteau River valley and runs West towards Oklahoma, eventually turning into CR 2 and then CR 110 when we cross into Oklahoma. The run down through the river valley is great and we can make up time lost to wandering in the woods finding all the dead ends ;-)

We come across a cool old steel bridge
IMG_3998.jpg

Bob
IMG_4000.jpg

Chuck
IMG_4001.jpg

Roger
IMG_4002.jpg

The river
IMG_4003.jpg

Steel and wood, the bedrock of civilization
IMG_4004.jpg

:tab A few more miles and we roll into Hawcreek, Oklahoma, a sprawling metropolis if ever there was one...

Don't blink...!
IMG_4005.jpg

:tab It is about 2:00pm and we have yet to stop for lunch. I head inside to find out that they have a full grill and cheap prices. Given the lack of alternatives, we decide to check it out. It turns out to be a great place for lunch! The sweet little old lady running the place is a good cook! I do believe she has made the best Tater Tots I have ever had in my life!! They are a golden crispy crust on the outside with steamy tender potato on the inside. The fries are the same way. The grilled cheese is excellent :-P The others all confirm that their meals are equally good. They also sell gas here, so it would not be a bad place for stopping on future rides. She claims they can handle 15-20 people at a time, but I expect it would take an hour or so to get in/out from start to finish. A huge John Deere pulls up to the pumps for a fill up while we are eating, then rumbles off to some pasture to make those huge hay bales.

:tab After lunch we keep heading West on CR 208, which follows the river valley towards US 270 until it hits CR D1550. The dust has really been bad all morning and is really bad now. The road gets quite sandy. It looks like there may have been some maintenance work done recently. Even at moderate speeds I am kicking up a cloud that totally obscures the riders behind me. This is one of those times where it is nice to be out front ;-) Soon we drop down out onto CR D1550 and take a break so the other guys can clean visors/goggles :lol2:

The view from up front :-P
IMG_4006.jpg

Stopping to put in eye drops and clean visors
IMG_4007.jpg

:tab The first mile or so of CR D1550 climbs up out of the valley onto a ridge some 400 feet higher. It is a fun climb, twisting back and forth. The KLR is kicking out loose rocks and bouncing around under me. Once again I am glad to have changed from the stock 15 tooth front sprocket to a 14. It makes quite a bit of difference, for the better. It lets me run second gear without having to totally lug the engine. It also makes small throttle inputs less disruptive. Then there is just the whole weight thing. I've done worse than this on the R1150GS I used to abuse. However, it was a LOT more work and distracted from the riding experience. It is MUCH easier on the KLR. Of course, I imagine it would be even easier on a nice KTM :doh: Well... until I win the lottery...

A typical view once up on the ridge heading back to the Northeast
IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

:tab CR D1550 hits CR 193, which is paved and runs back down to Hawcreek. Once we cross CR 193, the road continues but becomes CR 198 and heads East towards the state line. At the border, the road becomes CR 54. As we are riding along, I continually scan the GPS, noting all the other roads in this area that appear to link up with each other, making a spaghetti ball of potential routes out here that climb up and down ridges, run along the ridges, and wander next to creeks and rivers. None of what we have encountered is super technical and would be fair game for even the big trailies if the riders have a bit of experience. We soon drop down off the ridge onto Hwy 28 at Cauthron.

:tab The route is supposed to head back up into the mountains just a short ways down the road to the West. The maps show CR 249 heading North initially, then veering West. However, soon after we get started up the road, we get into an area where the road and map start diverging again. I spot a little side track that looks like it follows the map and head into the woods. There is a short water crossing and then the track gets narrower and narrower. Then we come upon the rotting carcass of a cow :puke: It appears to have been towed back here where the road peters out and left for the vultures. I decide this is a dead end and we turn back. Back to the highway we go... :argh:

:tab A little further down Hwy 28, we try again to head North back into the woods and mountains. This is the other end of CR 249. We run it North a short bit and pick up CR 401, back on our route, and start heading West again. CR 401 winds through woods and pastures along the base of the Poteau Mountain ridge line just North of us. If the route works out, we'll be running that ridge all the way back to Waldron soon... IF... :wary: Down in the lower elevation the road surface is very different from that up on the ridges. It is more dirt and traction is excellent. The ridges have tended to be more gravel/rock.

Here is where we were going to head North up onto the ridge
IMG_4010.jpg

:tab Chuck pulls up along side me at this intersection and mentions that he is going to need gas pretty soon. There is nothing between here and Waldron. A quick check of the map shows some roads that head South back to Hwy 28 where we can run over to Heavener for gas. Of course, unless I specifically check distances on the GPS, it is sometimes difficult to accurately guesstimate distances...

:tab The little side road turns out to be great fun. It is CR 50 and it drops down off the base of the ridge into the valley below where Hwy 28 runs. It runs around the West end of what appears to have been a small open pit coal mine at one time. The road does not look like it sees much traffic any more. I come around a corner to see a short stretch with a LARGE muddle puddle taking up the entire road from side to side. Throwing caution to the wind, I proceed directly through the center of the puddle... Albeit at a cautious pace :-P

:tab Things are looking good... The bike is chugging away... My feet don't feel like they are getting wet yet... Then the back starts to kick out and the front starts to flail... My heart rate spikes as I contemplate the gooey fate awaiting me below... :uhoh: There is NO WAY I am going down in this goop!! I grab a fist full of throttle and hang on!! The bike kicks and ends swap, but it launches me out the far side of the puddle into some nasty rocks and a broken up culvert. I manage to bounce across it all and come to a rest on dry level ground. I look back and see the others contemplating the scene before them... :ponder:

:tab They all tip toe around the edges in a wholly unspectacular and boring fashion... :roll: How am I supposed to get great action shots with these guys? :doh: :nana:

:tab The road curves up onto the side of the coal pit and becomes really wide and flat, but there are some killer potholes for the unwary... A little further and the map shows CR 50 dropping down off the big road through some woods to pastures below. The road gets quite narrow, rutted, and bumpy, but down we go. We round the edge of a little murky pond, reach what looks like an old rail road bed, and... a locked gate! :doh:

:tab Back up the hill we go. We keep following the main mine road and soon enough it drops us out on Hwy 28 at Coaldale... Think they worked a long time to come up with that name? Now on the pavement, all that is left is the short run over to Heavener, 10 miles away... It is late in the afternoon and the sun is really lighting up the bug goo and dirt on my visor. I imagine is must be much worse for the guys behind me. I squint and bear it. A few miles out of town I notice that there are no longer three headlights behind me. I pull over to wait and soon everyone catches up with me. It seems that Bob's XR650R had to go on reserve and died before he could get it switched. We roll on into town and fill up the bikes. The other guys also set to securing some beer for later this evening. I've no where to carry any, but Chuck and Roger have room for some. Waldron is DRY!

:tab Refreshed and ready to get rolling for the final run back to Waldron, we head South out of town. Several trains run right through town and they are backing up traffic while switching tracks. We get South of them and take a little back road back towards Coaldale. It is a nice little paved road with lots of cozy looking country living homesites. After a few miles it drops us back onto Hwy 128 (Ar Hwy 28 becomes 128 on the Ok side of the border) and we are back up to speed. We reach Coaldale and head back up CR 50 to resume our route. When we arrive at the large mud puddle, I pause. Chuck pulls up and I ask if he'd like to lead while I take pics... :trust:

:tab Now it would seem that Chuck had been the younger of a group of brothers and was often the one dared to do unwise things... So off he goes...

Things are looking good until he is about 2/3 of the way across... THE BEER!! :eek2:
IMG_4011.jpg

Man down!!
IMG_4012.jpg

:tab It would seem the beer has him pinned down and he cannot extract himself from the goo... On top of that, his motor has not stopped running and could be sucking it lots of that mess :uhoh: As I am struggling to get my kickstand down and put the camera away, Roger comes zooming by me in a blur, leaps off his bike in one smooth motion while putting his own kickstand down and jumps right in to assist Chuck. Man... you gotta love friends like that... :thumb: Seeing that Roger has things well in hand, I take more pics :lol2:

Roger lifts the WR of a VERY soaked Chuck
IMG_4013.jpg

Dude... how's the beer?!
IMG_4014.jpg

"Dang... now my feet are all squishy..."
IMG_4015.jpg

Once again Roger is the paramount example of prudence... ;-)
IMG_4016.jpg

And Bob wisely follows his example...
IMG_4017.jpg

As do I :trust:

:tab Chuck's cell phone and camera are probably lost causes. They were in his pockets. The beer is fine :chug: Even the inside of Chuck's helmet is wet with the stagnant puddle goo... :uhoh: I imagine with all the dust that by the time we get back to the hotel he will be all caked up and hardly able to move :lol2: We return to the previous location and resume our route up to the ridge. CR 50 climbs right at 1000 feet within about 2 miles. It is a fun twisting climb. Once on top, it becomes the Poteau Mountain Tower Road and then CR 70. It follows the ridge line, snaking back and forth, providing the occasional great view of the valleys below.

:tab The road continues to climb. We reach a turn off and there is a lookout road that runs to the peak of Poteau Mountain. So up we go... to almost 2700 feet in elevation, nearly 2000 feet above the big puddle below. It is an easy climb and we are soon at the top. There are numerous radio and cell towers. Unfortunately, there is no where that has the trees cleared to afford a good scenic view of the surrounding countryside. So down we go... but not all the way. The ridge has a steep side on the South and a gentle sloping side on the North. The road follows the South side. We hit some road improvements and the road becomes deep loose sand with BIG rocks laying about. There are also tree roots torn up and sticking out of the ground. So paying attention to the road instead of the scenery is paramount. Once again though, the cloud of dust behind me is impenetrable. The only good thing is that the sun is behind us, so hopefully it is not too bad for the guys behind me.

A nice smooth and clean section near the end of the construction
IMG_4018.jpg

Looking West
IMG_4019.jpg

Looking South across the Poteau River Valley
IMG_4020.jpg

:tab The road continues East around the South side of East Poteau Mountain and then drops down onto US 71 a few miles North of Waldron. We hop on the pavement and cruise down into town to find everyone else already on the hotel porch enjoying the end of the day conversation. Eventually, we round everyone up, pile into Hardy's truck and head over to a local Mexican restaurant. The food is excellent!! Then it is back to the porch to enjoy some of those beers :chug:

[only later did we find out that Oklahoma beer is only 3%... which would explain a lot :doh: :lol2:]

That does it, next time I wanna come with you Scott. It looks like you had a blast up there so far.

That does it, next time I wanna come with you Scott. It looks like you had a blast up there so far.

:tab Yeah... so far... :doh:

:tab Sunday morning rolls around and I eventually roll out of bed. The guys are hanging out on the front porch in no particular hurry to go anywhere. There is broken cloud cover and blue skies. The morning air is cool and damp, not likely to last long, except for the damp part :roll: While getting my stuff together, I notice the left side of the KLR's front fairing is flopping a little more than normal. Upon closer inspection I find a bolt is missing from the fairing stay mount. Locktite or no, I have never had a bike that shed bolts like the KLR!! :lol2: Fortunately, Dave (Cagiva549) has a little baggie of various bolts and one of them fits perfect :clap: I finish loading up the bike and we get ready to head out. Today, we head to the Northeast.

:tab Our group is the same as yesterday: Bob, Roger, Chuck and myself. We head North up US 71 into the mountains. Near the top of the ridge, we hang right on CR 20 and start heading East into the mountains, Pilot Knob and Round Mountain being the two "peaks" closest to us. The road is fairly wide, smooth and well maintained, but there is a LOT of loose gravel. We run the ridge a short way and then cut North between Pilot Knob and Round Mountain on CR 307.

Coming down the North side of the ridge we cross the Petit Jean River
IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

:tab We climb up out of the small river valley back onto small ridge line on CR 41 which becomes CR 85. Running along the ridge is nice because the road just sweeps back and forth, up and down, and we can cruise at a nice 35-40mph with good visibility... at least for me :mrgreen: Although, I can still see the headlights of the guys behind me most of the time, so how bad can it really be? :-P Yesterday, I rarely saw them at all unless they were pulling up to a stop next to me. Someone mentioned something about rain up North yesterday, so perhaps the roads got a bit of watering. The trees do look a little greener than one might expect next to a dirt road. Well... at least the ones that have not been cut down. Everywhere we go up here the signs of logging are all around us. In many places, there is zero undergrowth and the trees left standing are all spaced apart such that I can see a longggg way into the "woods".

:tab CR 85 becomes CR 45, which we run over to CR 20. CR 20 runs roughly West/East along the main ridge line and we're zig zagging back and forth across the ridge and around the peaks. Now we cut South between Round Mountain and White Oak Mountain. Looping around the South side of White Oak Mountain on CR 178 we soon reach CR 89, which runs up to the top of White Oak Mountain. The run up is fun. The road is rutted and rough from water running off the mountain. It actually requires some thought about which lines to pick, unlike most of the roads around here. It is also narrow and obviously not traveled very often. We soon round a last corner and pop out on top of the mountain where there are numerous large antennas.

:tab We stop for a break. Once again, there really aren't any good views as the surrounding trees block the view all the way around. However, there is a nice breeze cranking and it feels pretty good. I walk back down towards the road to get a few pictures. No sooner than I get behind the line of trees and the breeze is blocked, I am literally swarmed with gnats!! They are flying in my eyes, nose, and ears. When I try to take a picture, they are swarming so bad in front of the camera that they are blocking the shot!! I hate gnats... I swat furiously and make my way back up to the bikes and get my gear back on so we can get out of here!

A typical view in any direction from the peak :doh:
IMG_4025.jpg

Close up of those little blue flowers that are everywhere up here
IMG_4026.jpg

Looking back down the hill, as usual, the camera makes it look totally flat :roll:
IMG_4027.jpg

Looking back towards the top, the gnats stop when I clear that pole and get back into the wind.
IMG_4028.jpg

Bob coming down the hill
IMG_4029.jpg

Roger
IMG_4030.jpg

Chuck
IMG_4031.jpg

A short straight section on the way down
IMG_4032.jpg

[Dang... I am trying but work is really getting in the way of getting this report done! :argh:]

Arrrgh! Gnats again!? :eek2: Hmm, so maybe you're the one who brought them along in AZ, a place where I never had a problem before...:ponder:

+1

I think even I could handle those roads.......or atleast I'm dumb enough to try.:mrgreen: :doh: :mrgreen:

BTW....Great report so far Scott.

Arrrgh! Gnats again!? :eek2: Hmm, so maybe you're the one who brought them along in AZ, a place where I never had a problem before...:ponder:

:tab I asked a local about the gnats. They call them Buffalo Gnats. Apparently they are seasonal, kind of like the love bugs here. I was told that you do not want to get them in an eye. Something in them will make your eye swell up. They also said that the last few years have been exceptionally bad years in terms of the severity of the gnats. Anytime we were in the woods and off the bikes, they were thick.

I love the report! It makes me want to get a DS and do some exploring. :rider:

[Let's see now.... dust... check... gravel... check... great roads... check... on with the report!]

When we drop back down off of White Oak Mountain, the road starts following Sugar Creek.
IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

:tab We hit CR 19 and start heading in a more Northeast direction a few miles until we come to CR 879. This is a seriously squiggly road on the map so I am hoping it will be a lot of fun.

It starts out simple enough...
IMG_4035.jpg

It obviously sees very little traffic...
IMG_4037.jpg

:tab Soon the road turns to a trail, still two track though. We are having to go over and under pine trees that are laying over the trail. I later learn from a local that this is the result of ice storms not long ago. Pine trees will bend all the way over to the ground sometimes without snapping their trunks. Unfortunately, they never straighten back up after the ice melts. So we take turns holding up low lying trees while the other riders go under. Then there are just the normal low hanging branches from other trees that reach out to smack me in the face or rake along my neck under the helmet :doh: The "road" twists and wanders, up and down, yet our track still shows us to be on a road that shows on the map. There are even a few little side roads where I make a few wrong turns and we have to backtrack a few hundred feet to get back on the right path. We finally reach a point where the road becomes more rock and dirt and actually looks like a small road again. Here it starts to climb. It becomes rutted and rocky with tree roots sticking out from the sides. :rider:

Stopped for a break under one of the lazy pines
IMG_4039.jpg

:tab Yes, it is much steeper than it looks... :roll: :lol2:

Getting the bike off the side stand was a chore here :doh:
IMG_4040.jpg

:tab A few hundred feet back from where I am now parked, I had asked Bob to wait while I explored up the hill a bit to make sure the road followed the GPS map. So he stopped his bike while waiting. Unfortunately, because of the slow speeds and hot weather, his bike was burping up radiator fluid into the overflow. It did not want to restart. So we decided to take an extended break and let it cool off.

A nice level spot on the hill side just large enough for all the bikes
IMG_4041.jpg

Looking back down the hill
IMG_4042.jpg

:tab After a few minutes, Bob tries kicking over the XR and it fires to life. The rest of us suit up and get rolling. We start climbing again, rocks kicking out from under the bike making the back end kick around. The KLR just chugs away with no worries. Bob has taken the lead, followed by Chuck. Roger is behind me. We reach a section that gets quite a bit steeper. There are those erosion control humps in the trail, so I am launching over those and landing in the loose rocks on the far side. About midway up the hill, I happen to glance down at the GPS and realize that our track is now moving away from the indicated road on the map... Hmmm... I don't recall seeing another turn anywhere?

:tab I stop and Roger pulls up next to me. I can see Bob and Chuck through the woods just up the hill a few hundred feet. I start honking my horn hoping they'll turn around. No dice. So I run up to get them. They are stopped at what appears to be a large tee intersection. The area is wide and flat. The crossing trail looks like it has been maintained in the not to distant path. There is some kind of finely crushed black rock that has been put down as a bed for the trail. However, none of this is on the map and I don't have any idea where it will lead. The turn we missed shows that the road only goes a short distance further before hitting another main road that is on our route. For the sake of time, I decide to attempt to find our missed turn. So we head back down the hill.

:tab About 2/3rds of the way back down, I come to a small flat area where the map indicates the road goes off in a more Easterly direction. Sure enough, there is a two track trail running off under the trees. It is very grown though. However, it looks like we can get through on the bikes, so off I go. The trail soon starts getting harder and harder to pick out, but there are two tracks. The KLR is pushing down small pine trees while I dodge low hanging branches from larger trees. After a few hundred yards of this, the visible trail just disappears. Once again we are slightly West of where the map shows the trail should be. Roger takes off into the woods in the direction of the trail and disappears... I can hear him motoring around and it sounds like he is moving back in the direction where we just came from. So we fire up the bikes and backtrack to our last turn off where Roger joins us. He found nothing.

:tab Well, at this point we are faced with backtracking all the way to CR 19, which would not be a bad ride, but I really want to find a way through on this road. After all, the whole point of being here is to scout out routes for a future ride and I REALLY want this road to be on the route!! So we decide to run back up the hill again to that big tee intersection and follow one of the branches to see where it goes. CR 20 is to the North and West of us and the road we are trying to get to is just to the Northeast, so if the tee roads go through at all, they will likely hit one of these roads and we'll quickly be back on route. Best of all, this road will then be part of a future route :trust: Although, I don't think I'd recommend it for any of the big bikes unless the rider is very experienced.

:tab We climb back up the hill to the tee intersection and I decide to go right. That has the best chance of hitting our original goal. However, the road soon starts curving back to the West, away from our goal. Oh well, it is a fantastic road so we might as well run it out and see where it goes :shrug: It rounds the base of White Oak Mountain and heads almost due West. We are heading right back to where we were earlier, closing a complete loop around the mountain. Sure enough, we soon reach CR 20 again. However, when we drop out off the small road, we come up on the back side of a locked gate :doh: It is obvious that a LOT of traffic goes around this gate as there is a wide area to the side of it that is well worn with quad tracks. However, there was no gate or signage anywhere on the South end of the road to indicate it is closed. So it is a tough call for future riders. If a Ranger catches you coming out of the gate, odds are you are going to have a tough time convincing him you did not come in that way as well. Having a GPS track showing how you got there might help... Of course, this entire loop could be left out of the route, but that would mean missing the climb to the top of White Oak Mountain and this great little "county road", which would be a real shame.

:tab Anyway, we hope back on CR 20 and resume our Eastward course. We soon reach the intersection of CR 20 and 19. Recall that it was 19 that we had been running when we got to the South end of the fun road CR 879. Just in case using 879 is not possible, I want to run 19 back down to make sure it would serve as a bypass for a future ride. So we head South on 19, which turns out to be a really fun road! It drops down off a big hill into a small valley below where we find a recreational/camping area with a big swimming hole. This is Sugar Creek again. We cross the creek and continue South. Soon we are back at the South end of 879 again. So we have our bypass. We turn around and head North back to CR 20 to get back on route.

:tab As we are heading back, I see a local hanging out in his front yard and decide to stop in to see if he will chat with me a few minutes. He notices me pulling up to his yard and comes over to see what I want. At first he's a little suspicious, but his curiosity gets the best of him. I pull off the helmet and kill the engine. The other guys wait back up on the road in a shady area. When the guy sees my GPS he gets real curious. Seems he's been wanting to get one and he's got lots of questions. I explain what we've been doing, show him our track, and explain how we are trying to lay out routes for a future ride while trying to make sure we stay off of private land. He seems to like that we are working hard at that. What is crazy is that this guy has lived here for YEARS and had no idea about CR 879, which is literally just over the hill and on the edge of his own property!! :brainsnap Nor did he know about the roads that we found which eventually dropped us out onto CR 20 at the locked gate. I guess if you've got no reason to go over the next hill, you just never do... :shrug: It's hard for me to even conceive of living in such a small world... So anyway, we have a nice visit. I don't find out much in the way if useful information. We shake hands and I rejoin the others. We head back through the recreational area and climb back up the big hill, then we're back on route.

:tab It's getting on into the afternoon and the heat is cranking up good, as is the humidity. The road leads down off the mountain into the flat areas below where the roads are straight and tend to run along pasture fence lines. We pick up Garner Rd., and head East. Soon though, it looks like the road dead ends into someone's farm. My experience has been that as long as I stay on the road and don't start driving into a pasture or something, even if there is someone there they won't usually bother me. so we stop at the start of the drive up to the house and I check the GPS. It shows the road going on East of here. I zoom wayyy in and sure enough, the map shows a corner just beyond our present location. I look that direction and see a dark shaded road, very narrow and lightly traveled, that follows the fence line back into the woods... There's no gate, so off we go!

:tab Immediately this road gets fun. It is narrow and rough, twisting into the woods. We do a dry creek crossing with lots of large loose rocks. We start doing some mild climbing, the road widening a bit and straightening out. Moments later we are zooming along the base of the Northern slope of Hole In The Ground Mountain, a short 1341 foot peak, which are also called Knobs around here. We run Garner Rd., East to Dry Creek Rd., and cut North. The road is wide and smooth with big turns. So yeah, the dust starts getting kicked up pretty good again :lol2: In fact, I am having so much fun I neglect to see that we are supposed to turn and just keep on trucking... :rider:

:tab When I do realize we're off route, I do a quick map check and see that we can just make a loop on some other roads and get right back to where we are supposed to be. This area is still relatively remote, however there are a lot of homes up in the woods. From the condition of the homes, I am guessing folks in this area are quite poor. The contrast between their homes and what most of us are probably used to strikes me in the moment. This is an awesome area to be living. Are they really so "poor"? The older I get, the less things like fancy houses and new cars matter to me. I find that I am far more concerned with enjoying friends and family apart from all the stresses of modern life. I see several large gardens, chickens, and even some goats. It may not be a life of luxury and leisure... but still...

:tab As I am checking out the GPS and doing my on the fly rerouting, some movement on the side of the road catches my eye. I look up to see a little dog running as if its life depended on it. It is just hauling down the edge of the road. I idle up behind it on the far side of the road, just in case it goes suicidal, but it finally darts off into the weeds. Just ahead of it though is another little dog, realll little... This thing is a tiny little pup. The legs are maybe 1-1/2 to 2 inches long at most. They are moving so fast that they are almost a blur. Even over the sound of the motor, the tires crunching gravel and with my earplugs, I can hear the little pup yapping up a storm. It is both incredibly pathetic and hilarious at the same time. This little dude runs what must be close to 20 yards before bailing into the weeds!! I would imagine his little heart was about to explode!! Anyway, we get back up to speed and soon loop back onto our route, picking up the start of Wilderness Road.

:tab The start of Wilderness Road is a nice winding 1000 foot climb up on to a ridge that connects Dry Creek Mountain, Flood Mountain, and Petit Jean Mountain, which peaks around 2400 feet. Somewhere along the line, Wilderness Road becomes CR 30 and then shortly after dead ends into CR 29. Here we start a descent from 2200 feet down to 700 feet in the space of about a mile. The road is rough, looking like it may have been recently graded. There is a loose soft sand of a few inches deep with scattered large rocks and branches mixed in with the sand. In some places, the road is steep and I can see through several S curves in a row, cutting down between them all. i really have to watch the speed because it is easy to start picking up some serious momentum on this slope. With all the loose road material, there won't be any effective heavy braking going into some of the sharp corners. Even at slow speeds the bike is sliding around and wiggling its way through the corners. About half way down I pull over to stop and just take it all in...

Looking across Cedar Creek Valley to Potato Hill Mountain. just over 2200 feet high (which is fairly high for Arkansas).
IMG_4043.jpg

One of the many switchbacks. I take these at about 10-20 mph in either first or second gear.
IMG_4044.jpg

Bob and the mighty XR650R
IMG_4045.jpg

:tab After a short break, I decide to just coast the rest of the way down off the mountain to the valley below. It takes very little time before the bike is really moving! With no engine braking, I have to be careful with the brakes going into corners. Then there is the lack of rolling on the throttle coming out of corners, a feeling I am not real used to experiencing. However, it is great fun and very quiet. I reach the bottom in no time at all and soon hear the others motoring up behind me. We cut South on CR 28 a short way and then pick up CR 519 to run East along the Souther edge of Potato Hill Mountain.

:tab CR 519 is a great road. It climbs and twists along the base of the mountain, crossing numerous small dry creeks, running through the woods, and eventually hitting CR 518 at Mill Creek. CR 518 runs down to CR 170 and we turn East again, rounding some low lying hills. We are dropping back down into the lowlands with pastures and farms.

A typical pasture like all the ones we've been seeing all weekend
ArkPano1.jpg

Bob
IMG_4048.jpg

Roger and Chuck
IMG_4049.jpg

:tab We cross a few creeks and run CR 16 and 17 all the way to AR 80 where we cruise into Danville in search of gas and food. Gas is found on the far North side of town, almost out of town. It is a large modern station on the left, just on the far side of the Petit Jean River on AR 27 just past the 27/10 intersection. Food is found on AR 10 in town at the local Subway, which happens to have a KILLER A/C :dude: :zen: I spend a few minutes chilling in front of the coke machine while the others order their lunch... agggghhhh....

:tab Lunch and gas taken care of, we head back out into the heat, don our gear and motor back to the mountains. We backtrack our route until we reach Moss Creek Rd (Also CR 16). As I am heading to the next intersection a little white Chevy S-10 truck loaded with kids comes around the corner. I move over to the edge of the road to give them plenty of room. Then the driver makes eye to eye contact with me and starts coming over directly at me :eek2: I can't get over any further, but at the last second he swerves back. I see all the kids laughing... :angryfire Soon we head West on CR 716. This road runs along the base of the ridge we had been running earlier, twisting in and oot of the low lying fingers of the ridge that protrude into the valley. We aren't up high, but the road is a blast. It soon starts to climb a bit and get pretty twisty. The surface is covered in gravel so once again the corners are taken pretty mellow...

:tab There are those times where you wish you had a picture because as we all know, a picture can be worth a thousand words... Well, in this case it would be just one word, uttered VERY LOUDLY, moments before a sliding ATV collides with the front of my KLR... :argh: The picture would have been the look on the kid's face when he realized he had screwed up bad. As I am rounding a blind corner going up hill, I am hanging to the inside of the right hand curve, hugging the edge of the ditch. My dual sporting experience has taught be about blind corners. Never take the open road for granted! In this case, I am chugging up the hill in second gear when two large ATV's come flying around the corner at me, side by side, taking up the entire road! :eek2:

:tab The kid's eye's about popped out of his head. He had no where to go because if he swerved to miss me, he'd either go into the side of the mountain or into his friend on the other side. So he locks up the brakes and gets sideways... I'm on the brakes hard, trying to force myself to look to the ditch so I might have a chance of missing him. No dice. He slides maybe 45-50 feet in the space of a heartbeat and I spear him right ahead of his back left tire. In the next instant I am laying on the ground under the bike with my foot pinned. I felt the bike come down hard on my right foot, but once again, good gear has done its job. My Sidi boots take the impact and the weight of the bike, sparing my foot and ankle. Still, it hurt!

:tab Before the dust has even begun to settle, I see Roger at my side asking if I am hurt. Hard to know at this point as the adrenaline is still gushing through my veins. I get my helmet off as the other guys help lift the bike. I see the kid standing back a few feet looking on anxiously, obviously uninjured. A quick check of all the extremities reveals that everything moves like it should with no undue pain. Roger and Chuck help me to my feet. I put some weight on the ankle and there is only mild discomfort, no pain. I stand there a moment to catch my breath and look around...

:tab The ATV has bounced and spun around 180 degrees to the opposite side of the road. His buddy managed to stop and pull off just ahead of us. The ATV looks none the worse for the wear. The same cannot be said about the KLR :tears: I double check with the kid to make sure he is okay. He's fine, but a little scared looking. We start all the post accident evaluation to see what we need to do to get us all home. I ask the kid about insurance and get a less than useful answer. He tells me his Dad is on an ATV with someone else a little ways behind him and will be here in a few minutes. We'll wait and talk with him. Meantime, let's see what has happened to the KLR and make sure we get some folks around the corners to prevent any further traffic from running us over when they come around the corner.

Unless I want to do the NASCAR thing and go left all the time, I am not going anywhere :doh:
IMG_4050.jpg

I came from this direction and saw the ATV's when I was at the same place as Chuck's bike
IMG_4051.jpg

They came from this direction, I was on the right side of the right track in the road
IMG_4052.jpg

We hit right about where Roger's foot is, you can see some gouges on the road. You can also see where he slid, that is his tire track to the right of my helmet, it goes back about 40-50 feet. The ATV came to rest where you see it here. I came to rest with my head right were the helmet is. The bike was mostly in the ditch on the edge of the road.
IMG_4053.jpg

I hit him just where the rear fender meets the foot rest area. Fortunately, he got his leg out of the way some how. There is a crack in his fender where I think my bars hit as the bike rolled over the back of the ATV.
IMG_4054.jpg

Roger and Chuck loosen the triple clamps in hopes of getting things straight enough to be able to ride the bike down off the mountain
IMG_4055.jpg

The fender and handle bars are aligned... but not the tire... :doh:
IMG_4056.jpg

The kid in the orange is the driver. He later tries to tell his Dad that he was on that side of the road when we hit... :argh: Of course, his Dad doesn't take a moment to look at the scene to see if the kid's story jives with the evidence :doh: Chuck and Roger removing the left fork, thinking they might be able to straighten it a bit...
IMG_4057.jpg

Chuck and Roger contemplate the damage...
IMG_4058.jpg

:tab I'm not seeing that fork getting straightened :whatever: Nonetheless, Roger finds a few trees close together and wedges the fork in place. Then Chuck, Bob and Roger all pull on it. I think the trees might snap before the fork even budges. After a few minutes of working up a good sweat, they give up. Moments later the kid's Dad arrives on his ATV with his friends. After a few minutes of filling him in on what happened, he agrees to head down the mountain to his place and to return with a truck and trailer to help us get the KLR out of here. We grab a seat in the shade with the kid, Bradley, and wait...

Breaks my heart... :tears:
IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

Looking back down the road the direction we came from
IMG_4064.jpg

His Dad returns...
IMG_4065.jpg

Trying to give a hint of the steepness of the road and blindness of the corner
IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg

:tab When Bradley's Dad gets turned around and comes back, he stops right on top of the accident scene. When he gets out of the truck, he seems quite agitated and immediately says, "So what's this about insurance!?" Apparently, Bradley's friend mentioned that I had asked about insurance while they were going down to get the truck. I started trying to explain to the Dad how the accident happened and then both kids start lying about where Bradley was and how fast they were going. They were trying to claim he was over on the other side of the road and only going about 15 mph... Of course, with the truck and trailer right on top of all the skid marks, the Dad could not verify my story.

:tab However, it soon becomes obvious he is not all that interested in the story. "There ain't no 'right' side of the road up here because there ain't no centerline!" "You don't have to have insurance on ATV's so we ain't got it!" "You can't go suing this boy because he's just a boy and ain't got nuthin!" "I'm the one responsible for him..." At this point, it seems a moot issue to mention that insurance is not required because the ATV's are not street legal. Moreover, because they are not street legal, they are not even supposed to be on this freaking road!! Seeing that everyone is still standing around and making no motions like we are going to be loading the bike, I realize that my ride down off the mountain now hinges on this conversation. I immediately start trying to diffuse the situation. I point out that no one is injured and that even if I were to report the incident to my insurance under my uninsured motorist, it is highly unlikely they will sue over a bike that is only worth maybe $3000 if I washed it. It takes a few minutes, but Dad finally calms down a bit and agrees to help us out.

Getting the bike loaded...
IMG_4069.jpg

:tab We grab the spare tire for the trailer and put it under the bike so that the bodywork is not bashing against the trailer bed. We put a strap over the bike to try to hold it down and minimize the bouncing. I climb in the back of the truck while the other guys suit up for the ride down off the mountain. We are soon HAULING down mountain!! I am thankful it was just the kid on the ATV I met up with instead of his Dad driving his truck!! :eek2: I hang on for dear life in the bed of the truck, hoping that the other guys can either keep up or remember the directions back to the guy's house!

Breaks my heart... :tears:
IMG_4070.jpg

I am relieved to finally see the bikes catch up to us! I was starting to have flashbacks to a certain movie about tourists in the mountains of Arkansas... *que the dueling banjos... :wary:*
IMG_4071.jpg

:tab We quickly arrive at the Dad's home. The other ATV's have already circled under some nice big shad trees, their riders well into their supply of Miller Lite beer. After a brief discussion, the other guys head out for Waldron, about 30 miles down the road, to get our truck and trailer. Without realizing it, I am suddenly standing there by myself as ALL THREE of the other guys ride off!! :doh: Well... this is a bit awkward... How do I kill the next hour and a half with a half dozen guys drinking beer that aren't real sure they like me yet... :brainsnap

:tab We engage in some small talk for a few minutes and then Dad heads to the back of his truck. This is where the beer is kept. EVERYONE's truck has a cooler full of Miller Lite in the back, EVERYONE! :lol2: Dad offers me a beer which I happily accept. So the conversation turns to beer. I make the mistake of mentioning having a Tecate from Heavener yesterday evening and the conversation just stops dead... "What is that!?" "A Mexican beer," I reply. "A WHAT!!??" I let it drop... I find out that all these parts are dry and the big side business is driving the 45 miles to the place where you can get beer and then selling it to local folks that either forgot to drive that far on a holiday weekend to get their own or are too lazy to do so. Soon the cell phones are ringing... "We're just hanging out here at the house with a crashed motorcycle on the trailer." "Yeah... we got beer, two bucks each or sixty for the case." "Sure, c'mon over, we're not going anywhere..." Oh great, now I have become the "big event" of the day for the locals :roll: Soon more trucks are showing up, more beer, and the male egos kick in. The beer consumption is amazing. Chain drinking is what you might call it. Even the 16 year old kids are chugging them. Once folks are getting relaxed and the accident is not so immediate, details of the day start to filter into the conversation.

:tab It seems the whole group had been at the local swimming hole all morning and afternoon. The beer coolers were getting low and a few other locals had shown up wanting to "borrow" some beer. I can't imagine wanting it back when they were done with it... :uhoh: Anyway, the guys decided it was time to take their few remaining beers and head for home. The two kids were leading the way. A few more beers and the story turns to how well young Bradley can pilot these big powerful ATV's. "He can slide that thing from all the way over yonder clear to the mail box over there!!" All the talk is of who has the biggest, baddest, fastest, and coolest ATV. "That ol' boy has himself a 700cc ATV that will run 90mph!!" "Joe bob got him some new mag rims!!" And so it goes... I have another beer... Where are those guys!?

Pops place is on 15 acres just off AR 80, real nice.
IMG_4072.jpg

The truck plate is readable in the original of this... just in case the names and numbers provided me don't prove to be accurate ;-)
IMG_4073.jpg

:tab The sun continues to get lower in the sky. The empty beer cans are taking over the place. The stories are getting louder and more exciting. "We have lots of raffles here, this is raffle country without a doubt!" "What do they raffle?" I ask. "Guns and ATV's!!" To be honest, I am kind of surprised he did not say cases of Miller Lite! :lol2: It's all good though. We've been hanging out a few hours and the guys have relaxed. Any sense of hostility is gone. Still, it has been several hours now and there is still no sign of the other guys... :-|

:tab Finally... I hear the rumble of the truck and trailer, the other guys have returned! With all the help standing around, it only takes a few moments to get the bike swapped from one trailer to the other.

That's Dad standing in the middle with the blue shades on his head
IMG_4074.jpg

:tab I shake some hands, once again confirm that I have no intent to sue over this, thank them for their help and the beers, and then we are on our way... finally! It turns out that the reason for the long trip for the other guys is that there was a nasty accident on Hwy 80 that had the entire road closed down. Two drunks passing on the double yellow met head on in a corner, driver side to driver side. One was dead on the scene. The other was extracted but his survival to the hospital was questionable. By the time we got back to the scene, the road was still closed. The drivers were gone but they were still cleaning up the vehicles. As they let us through I could see what was left of one of the cars, truck, or whatever it was. It was hardly recognizable as a vehicle except for the one wheel I could see and a seat. Otherwise, it just looked like a crumpled mass of steel. The other vehicle had already been scoped up and was heading West towards Waldron. This was a white Chevy S-10. I hope it was not the kid that intentionally swerved at me earlier... Stupid as he might be, I would not wish this on anyone... :zen:

:tab We soon catch up to and pass the wrecker with the S10 on it. The truck is demolished in the extreme. It is all a sober reminder of how lucky Bradley and I were today. Either one or both of us could have been severely injured. I hope he thinks about that next time he is out there on that road with his buddy. However, given that he is sixteen, ten feet tall and bullet proof, I don't hold out much hope :shrug: I am getting hungry and we are still a ways from Waldron. Everything closes at 9:00pm. It's gonna be close...

:tab We decide to just head straight for the restaurant before hitting the hotel. We make it into town with a few minutes to spare and they let us in for dinner at the Mexican place where we ate last night. We find Hardy, Dave and Wayne there already eating. My ankle is getting a little stiff now, but it is not bad. A big plate of beef fajita quesadillas and a giant cold coke makes everything better :eat: Back at the hotel later the porch chatter begins in earnest. Dave makes me one of his special "Kool Aid" drinks which really hits the spot after a day like today!! Before it gets too late, folks start drifting off to bed. I call Beth to let her know I am fine, but the bike is not, to which she responds, "Well... it will be nice to have a little more room in the garage..." :brainsnap Sometimes I wonder about that woman... :doh: :lol2: Afterwards, I take a few Ibuprofen and hit the sack. Who'd have ever thought the plywood mattress could feel so good... :sleep:

:tab Monday morning arrives and it is a beautiful day. We start packing up and trying to decide how we are going to load the trailer.

How to strap this down?
IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

:tab Roger and I decide the easiest thing to do is likely to be just putting the bent fork back in and seeing it we can reinsert the axle. This way the bike can stand up and we can get the straps on it. Then we can load the other bikes normally. With a little elbow grease and the assistance of a ball-peen hammer, it all goes back together again ;-)

Hardy, Dave and Wayne loading up for the long drive home
IMG_4078.jpg

Hardy, Ray, and Wayne, strapping down Wayne's new BMW
IMG_4079.jpg

:tab With everything loaded, we say our goodbyes to everyone and hit the road. We roll into Huntsville about 5:00pm. Everyone gets their bikes unloaded and heads their separate ways. It's good to be home. Now I gotta start shopping for parts... :ponder:

Great report Scott! Great pics and glad everything turned out cool for everyone.

I will hopefully have a replacement set of forks and a new front wheel here in about a week ;-)

I'm sorry to hear about your bike, but glad to know you survived.

Thanks for posting. Once again, I am living vicaiously through others!!!

Back