• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The day frustration turned to moto-misery

TWTim

Reaction score
It's been over a week since Memorial Day, and only today do I finally feel like writing about what a miserable motorcycling experience it was for me.

I met my good friend Rodger at Midland International Airport around 9 a.m. that morning, where we lined up to participate in the annual Veteran's Ride to Remember. It's a 1000-bike excursion from the airport, into Midland, east down I-20, and then up the hills into Veteran's Park near Scenic Mountain in Big Spring.

The morning ceremony:

HPIM3316.jpg

Here we are, lined up and ready to go:

MemorialDay2008008.jpg

Here's a small section of the line:

HPIM3319.jpg

The ride over was just fine. The roads and highways were closed for the procession from beginning to end, which allowed the gargantuan group to stay together. It was actually great fun. It wasn't until we reached the park in Big Spring that the trouble started.

As the immense line of bikes slowed on the highway for the turn into our destination, I began to notice how hot the day was getting. Normally no problem, but by the time we made it to the top of the hill and into parking, the Rex was overheating in a major way. Coolant had filled the expansion tank and was pouring all over my back tire and swingarm. In the midst of all those straight-piped Harleys, I hadn't been able to hear that the Rex's fan wasn't operating. Strangely though, neither was the temp light. At that point, I immediately knew the radiator's thermo-switch had failed.

I spent a few minutes, and used an entire package of Windex wipes, cleaning my rear tire:

MemorialDay2008029.jpg

After letting things cool down, we got on the road for home, but took a wrong turn shortly after leaving the park and needed to turn around. We found a cul-de-sac and stopped to talk for a moment about where we needed to go.

That's when it happened.

As I put my feet down, I quickly realized that my left boot was still slick with the coolant I had walked through while cleaning my bike. I lost my footing to the tune of about three inches, but that was just enough to send me past the point of no return. I held the bike with all my strength for what seemed like forever, but eventually resigned myself to my own failure, and eased the Rex onto the ground as gently as I could. It went down to the left, marring the pulse cover and busting the front turn signal lense. There were also minor scratches on the grab-bar and bar-end. But thankfully, the tank, bodywork, and levers were all spared.

The damage was admittedly minor, but as I picked the bike up, I quickly made the realization that, for the first time in 18 years of street riding, I had dropped a streetbike from a standstill. I could've ****-punched myself, I got so mad at my own stupidity.

At any rate, the Rex did just fine on the way home with a 75-mile per hour wind blowing through the radiator, but I didn't enjoy a single minute of the ride. I just wanted to get home, drink about a gallon of water, lay down -- and cry.

So fast-forward a week, and as of last night, I have most of the marred parts sanded and repainted. I've also installed a manual fan switch that runs in parallel to the new thermo-switch, which is still on order, along with a new lense, pulse cover, and cover gasket. In addition, I've ordered myself a set of frame sliders just in case -- Lord please forbid -- I should ever drop it again.

Hat-tip to Rodger and Mike for all the pics. More to come as I get my new parts installed.

Thanks for reading.

Man, that stinks. That feeling when your foot begins to slide is a sick one.

Shootergal needs to see this thread :lol2:

Sorry about the bike. Glad you did not strain anything in your attempt to save it...

Wait, Tim Kreitz is HUMAN?!?!?!?!?!?!:eek2:

just razzing you. :mrgreen:

Sorry you tipped your bike man. Hope it gets all better soon. :zen:

I heard this doesn't happen to the green ones...

Yep. It's like that moment of horror when you're 12 and you accidentally cuss in front of your parents. You know you're about to get it.

Glad you did not strain anything in your attempt to save it...

Yessir, and I easily could have done so had I not accepted the inevitability of the drop and stopped fighting it. I stayed with it all the way to the ground, but I kept my back straight and didn't over-strain in vain.

Wait, Tim Kreitz is HUMAN?!?!?!?!?!?!:eek2: just razzing you. :mrgreen:

Heh-heh. Yeah, I guess so. I was actually very thankful the bike and I were able to make it home safely, but it definitely ruined my entire day.

It happens to the best of us......

Yeah, you're right about that. And hopefully that was the one and only time.

Yeah, but did Tim get the purse?

No, but I got my purse lightened at the motorcycle shop. :mrgreen:

I heard this doesn't happen to the green ones...

If only I had known! Well, my ZX7R is green, so at least I've got that going for me. :-P

Sorry to hear that Tim!

Just a couple months back I was changing the oil on my ZRX when it FELL OVER onto its right side in the driveway. I was in the process of putting it on a Pit Bull rear stand and over it went. I tried to stop it by grabbing the rear grab handle, but it was just past the point of no return as well. I had time to get one hand on the handlebars too and help it over...but I didn't have a whole lot of leverage from the left side of the bike.

Result was a bent front brake lever, scarred up bar end weight, rash on the fairing, and scratches in the Kawasaki letters on the tank. The bike now has Champ's sliders on it as well as proper swing arm sliders from which I can more securely lift the rear of the bike with the stand. A $40 front wheel chock from Harbor Freight rounds out my preventative measures now.

The whole affair ruined my day too...but I didn't have to ride anywhere afterwards.

The whole affair ruined my day too...but I didn't have to ride anywhere afterwards.

Gosh, no doubt. :doh:

You know, another thing about the Rex that I've not had to deal with in a motorcycle for many years is the extra weight. Even my ZX7R (a tank by modern sportbike standards) is a trials bike compared to the ZRX. That may have contributed, as well.

Between that and having your shoelace wrapped around your shifter, I don't think I could have felt any worse about a drop in my entire life. I've done both, and neither one feels good at all.

Glad the bike is alright Tim. So.... you going to give up now.

You are hear-by required to cut a corner off your Man Card, had any actual crying occured you must forfeit said Man Card. It may be reissued after some manly act has been committed. :lol2:

Dang, I knew I shouldn't have laminated it!

That really sucks, At least your OK, I no its after the fact, but out here in the West Texas oil Fields the boot shops have a special kind of rubber on the boot that even in oil it grips, It might help sometime...
Mike

That really sucks, At least your OK, I no its after the fact, but out here in the West Texas oil Fields the boot shops have a special kind of rubber on the boot that even in oil it grips, It might help sometime...
Mike

Yeah, I've heard of that before. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Mike

I have a pair of them, there great. Only problem is ive worn them everyday for 3 years and 1 year daily commuting on my bike, ive work through all the rubber and can feel the rocks when i put my foot down :doh:i think its time for a new pair, cause in the rain there great to ride in.

Sorry to hear it was a bad day, though glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

Sorry about the drop, Tim. That stinks big time! Keep in mind, though, that if that happened to me, my boot would have been stuck under the bike all the while a mysterious strong west Texas Wind blew, corkscrewing the bike through at least three 360 degree revolutions. Broken ankle/foot? No way, it would have resulted in complete amputation.

Anyway, you get my point. Glad you're okay bud.

Sorry to hear Tim.....but don't be mad at yourself. It was a heat of the moment accident when you have a zillion things in your head and hurrying to get home to fix it. We've all done the same or similar. Check into some frame sliders.....may cost less than the stock turn signal.

Glad you're okay bud.

Many thanks. :thumb:

Check into some frame sliders.....may cost less than the stock turn signal.

Yepperz, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I ordered frame sliders when I ordered all the other parts. Unfortunately, they and the new thermo-switch haven't come in yet. But on a high note, I did get the new pulse cover and turn signal lense installed last night, and the new manual fan switch I'm running in parallel works like a charm.

Another preventative modification I've decided to make is a minor seat modification. I'm taking the stocker to my favorite seat cover place on Monday and having it cut down an inch or two.

Back