• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond EPIC - a weekend hill country dual sport ride

I woke up Sunday morning to see Bob Jet Boiling french press coffee on the back of his ride. Great cup of coffee.

Some people are coffee-in-the-morningj folks, some are not.

When you're on the trail, you've got to crank out your own.

When you are in a motel/restaurant, well, you can settle for what they pour, or you can continue to crank out your own.

Step 1:

Just place a few scoops of finely ground java into your Aerobie, or other type French press. How much you use isn't science, although the instructions that come with your particular press might suggest a formula.

When I make field coffee, it's like the Manhattan Project - I go for the Big Caffeine Bang, if you know what I mean, so I put about two inches of ground coffee into the Aerobie (at least two inches)...

363496106_CqJ4U-L.jpg

Step 2:

Have your water boiling in the background. You don't use boiling water, but sometimes you'll want to bring it to a boil, especially if you are out in the back country and are using water from a stream.

I like to use the JetBoil. Great for food preparation as well.

You'll need to let the water reach about 175-180 degrees before you pour it into the press. I used a thermometer at first, now I just wing it...

363495865_wcKrY-L.jpg

This is about what I use for one good mug of coffee...

363496273_bmLLM-L.jpg

Step 3:

Stir the water/coffee for about 10 seconds...

363496712_TFNf9-XL.jpg

Step 4:

Prepare to press the nectar into a stout cup....take 20 seconds to slowly press down to drive the water through the grounds/filter...

363496878_fJtxh-XL.jpg

363497155_mc8PX-XL.jpg

The end result will be like the hyper-concentrated coffee they drink in those little cups in Europe and North Africa. Most Americans will add more hot water to the cup to cut to taste.

Trust me, once you prepare it this way, you'll probably end up doing it at home (using a tea pot instead of a JetBoil).

Final hint: If you really, really want to make the bomb of coffee, get whole beans of your choice - its fun to experiment - and a burr grinder, and do a high medium/low fine grind. It will be very hard for you to return to roadside pots of java, although to a drowning man any life-preserver looks like an island, I suppose.

If you come on a TWT adventure ride, bring your french press, and can make coffee as good as this, you win this T-shirt:

365684534_TpYHb-L.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
I debated whether to edit out the aforementioned comments, but since I was there I know the context in which the comments were made.
There was no malice in the comments, only surprise that linx310 could bounce through the wet slimy stuff at speed and not fall.
linx310 definitely traversed the water crossings with a certain enthusiasm, and managed to stay upright.

Since I live in Hays county we have lots of rivers in the area and low water crossings that are always under water. I have learned if i put my bike in second or third and go for it its far easier then trying to baby it across. One water crossing in the area is actually uphill in about 1 foot of fast moving water.

Below is a photo...it looks flat but its actually uphill a bit and the thing is covered in algae...

image013.jpg

"although to a drowning man any life-preserver looks like an island"
Bob you'd make a **** of salesman. Maybe you should start an online endeavor selling your own exclusive blends to DS'ers?
Donny that looks like a pretty slick crossing. With a stretch that long you would need to get your momentum going just to cross it. Of course it is around a corner so you have to judge the speed based on that too. I love the water crossings, the ultimate in nerve, senses and patience. I learned them on riding around Austin trails on my mountain bike. Sometimes the rocks can be the difference between some traction and the really slick cement slabs but sometimes those rocks can be like riding over ice cubes, you just never really know until you are down. Could you imagine these in an all out race, man that must be chaos! BTW Bob how did the pics of the mountain bike race turn out?

Donny that looks like a pretty slick crossing. With a stretch that long you would need to get your momentum going just to cross it. Of course it is around a corner so you have to judge the speed based on that too. I love the water crossings, the ultimate in nerve, senses and patience. I learned them on riding around Austin trails on my mountain bike. Sometimes the rocks can be the difference between some traction and the really slick cement slabs but sometimes those rocks can be like riding over ice cubes, you just never really know until you are down. Could you imagine these in an all out race, man that must be chaos! BTW Bob how did the pics of the mountain bike race turn out?

Or you could just let me go across a few times, there would be a path 5' wide all the way across:doh:

BTW Bob how did the pics of the mountain bike race turn out?

I didn't have time to set up the camera properly, so the composition and the shutter speed were off, but here are a couple...

363501772_RZxCF-L.jpg

363501610_6KeFC-L.jpg

363501303_TgXkS-L.jpg

As a bonus, I'll throw in one of Rusty and his Transalp...

363499781_xXXz4-XL.jpg

Bob

Cool videos! The belch of a bualsport rider is unmistakable.

With regard to XR-Tim's alleged splash-down in the Nueces River along Hackberry Road.... The plot thickens. While there is no photographic evidence of the actual fall, here is a picture of Tim picking up the XR immediately after the "alleged" fall. Mind you, I had to carefully guard this evidence because it was suggested to me that if I was not careful about where my camera was at all times, this picture would mysteriously disappear.
TIMdownWaterXng.jpg

Thank you Richard for the compliment. I was worried that I would not be able to keep up with everyone on a ride such as this, so I am glad to hear that I did not hinder the group, or slow you guys down in any way. Can't wait to do it again. I am working on the video portion of the ride report today... hope to have it done soon.

While I am late to enter this thread, I am glad to see Tim's XR is getting some use.

Wow, that looks like so much fun! I'm just now getting back into riding after about 20 years, but I'm already setting plans to join you guys next year. Just bought a DRZ 400 SM and already have a set of dirt wheels coming. I'll be honing my riding skills between now and then just to be sure to be able to keep up.
It would be nice if some of you guys could chip in and comment about equipment for the ride though, as it would help possible newbies like me. I noticed some bikes has street tires, while most had dual purpose; which is the prefered setup, and why? Also, just how much luggage did you guys take? Mostly clothes, or were there other essentials that would be suggested? How necessary is a GPS? A checklist of suggested essentials would be nice to compile before the next trip.
I'll definitely keep checking back for more updates.

TX-SM,

Welcome to the site.

For tires, I prefer a knobby on the front and a dual sport tire on the back. I don't mind if the back end slides around a bit in the dirt, but I really don't want the front end sliding out in the dirt.

Others will have other set-ups they like and recommend.

In addition to clothes, I pack quite a few other items I consider critical for d/s travel. I carry all the equipment needed to repair and inflate a flat tire. I also carry a bunch of tools (ratchet, sockets, screwdriver, adjustable wrench, jb weld, allen wrenches, etc.). Essentially, I carry enough tools so I can repair basic problems out in the boonies.

A GPS is not necessary but it sure is handy to have. Note - a GPS does not replace a paper map, IMHO. I think riders should always carry a paper map. I use the Roads of Texas Atlas as my paper map and a Garmin Zumo as my GPS. Together they make a great combination.

If you attend my Texas Adventure Ride you will get a ride guide which includes a suggested packing list for all the stuff I think is important to carry during adventure travel.

Sounds great. I'll definitely be staying in touch. Thanks, Richard, and Merry Christmas to you.

Back