• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Continental Divide Ride 2008

Carl
Back when I did the CDR northern New Mexico was also one of the toughest parts and enjoyably parts. However Lava Mountain Area was a lot harder for me and not much fun at the time.

Great report guys but we don't have all year. :lol2:

Thanks, Gary, you are doing a good job. As a rider, Gary can not be beat, as a writer, you are showing the flow of the ride. I appreciate it.

To answer some of your questions:
Our ride took 12.5 days and that included 1 day of riding around central Colorado off the CDR.
We all agreed our favorite part was northern New Mexico. That could have easily changed depending on the weather. If it had been wet, much of that area would have been impassable, then it stops being fun. To prove the point, 2 bicyclist we met on the ride and have stayed in contact with, said their toughest part was New Mexico. They were caught in a rain storm that turned our favorite area to a sticky mudfest for them. We last saw them in southern Colorado and learned it took them another 6 weeks to finish the ride to the Mexican border, in the rain, at night, in the cold. All the bicyclists we talked to were extremely friendly and seemed happy to visit. We all came away with deep respect for the bicyclists that complete this ride. On the other hand, we passed only 1 other group of dual sporters and they did not even stop to talk.

Door to door.....17 days
Unable to post more pictures and story till Saturday.........Have three more States of riding pictures to show.....
Stay Tuned........:popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

It is Saturday at 858pm........we're waiting! :giveup:

and I'm out of popcorn!

Welcome Back.....Prop your feet up.....Come along for another days ride.
By now, we're really getting into the groove of daily 200-300 mile days......The initial soreness is past, we've become one with our machines, and enjoying the heck out of this "Adventure".........
We come down out of the 10,000 ft mountain range to a small town tucked away in a valley (Atlantic City). A very rustic town, sort of like the town in "Little House on the Prairie", thankfully we didn't run into Mrs. Olson.......... We had read about this last stop for "Gas" before you hit the "Basin" or "No Mans Land". There was no regular gas station as you know it, just a mercantile trading post with a big rusty storage tank on stilts and with the really old fashioned measuring sight glass. Carl will now be saying, "I Knew I should have stopped"....More on this later......
dscn2210kt7.jpg

"The Great Basin 150"..............
Let me try to set the "mood" for this section of the days ride......The photo's don't have all that much to look at, so you must feel what it was like to be looking down that long road, with all kinds of thoughts running through your head,........Like,..... "Dang, I hope I tightened all the nuts n bolts, I hope I don't get a flat, I hope the engine gets me through this section, (Nows a heck of a time for that blasted Doohicky to crap out, and the most important one,.....Dang, I hope I don't run out of gas......:rofl: This was a section of Wyoming that was vacant, as in, the last person left and turned out the lights.......The horizon went on as far as the eye could see..........There were Prong horned antelope, rattle snakes, scorpions, and 4 spiders.........
dscn0144oi4.jpg

rattlesnakewp6.jpg

The roads however were "GREAT"........No washed out ruts, potholes, or deep loose gravel........The best part about them was, they hugged the rolling plains, they weren't cut into the landscape. You would roll up over a fold in the landscape, down into the next, to then hang a turn to head up over the next..........This went on for hours.........We would separate by a mile or more (Dust), and see if we could catch the other rider off in the distance.....We'd have the rear end kick out once in awhile, we'd crest a sharp fold and get real lite in the seat....Sort of like a "Hare Scramble"....We were having our own mini race....That's where the name "Great Basin 150" came from...........150 miles of not seeing another human.........The leader would stop every 30 or so miles and check on the other rider......Carl or I would pull up and we'd both have a silly grin on our faces...."You having Fun?"...."Oh Yeah"........and off we'd go.
cimg0295bx7.jpg

cimg0300dm7.jpg

cimg0301ok2.jpg

cimg0306pp5.jpg

dscn2218lz9.jpg

dscn2214lj9.jpg

We've settled into our "Fast Pace" through the Basin having a time of our lives......The terrain was starting to level off a bit, when far off in the distance we could see something along the side of the road.....The closer we got to it, the more it looked like a person slumped on the ground........We come sliding to a stop and see a guy sitting on the ground slurping some soupy substance from a freezer bag...........He stands up and introduces himself as David from Houston.....He was our first Bicyclist doing the CDR we've met....He said he had gotten low on blood sugar and fixed himself some powered soup....He was just sitting in the dirt in the middle of nowhere eating his gourmet dinner........He said he was doing fine but having a tough time getting through the basin.
cimg0317ge4.jpg

cimg0319dt6.jpg

This was chasing us,...but it never did catch us.....
cimg0316tm0.jpg

Off in the distance is where we came from.......We come across some ravines that still had some snow.......Of course, the southern boys we are, we had to go play in it.
cimg0325zs4.jpg

cimg0324ro2.jpg

dscn2216rj3.jpg

A few miles down the road, we see a lone rider.... We get close and see it's a girl doing the CDR all by herself........I pull past her, Carl behind her........She sees Carl getting off his bike...and I can almost see whats she's thinking..."Okay, what's this old man want, am I going to have to break out my Pepper Spray?".........Carl and I introduce ourselves and talk with her for awhile.....She started in Banff Canada, and has been riding by herself all these weeks...23yrs old from California....We asked her why she was riding with a skirt....She said, "that the tight fitting bicycle shorts were too form fitting and that she had noticed some roving eyes from a few Montana mountain men. Other than that, she had no bad experiences since she started her adventure.........Spunky little Girl, gotta give her that.
cimg0321nu0.jpg

cimg0320ga0.jpg

Seems the Great Basin was swallowing up a bunch of Mountain Bikers........A little bit further down the road we come across Steve from across the big pond........He had heard about the CDR in England and had flown his bike across. He was heavy with a thick "Bloke" accent and a great attitude. We talked about all that he'd seen so far and asked him what he thought of the good Ole USA.........He said all the people he'd met were super friendly and it was living up to everything he'd read about the ride.........He said something funny,...He said the best thing about the ride was that he had a "Six-Pack" now...he was in his 40s and never had a flat stomach before...now he could actually count his abdomen muscles.........We talked for awhile and parted ways.........
cimg0326jj6.jpg

cimg0327qi5.jpg

We were finally glad to start seeing some mountains once again....We entered another National forest and came across one of the famous CDR landmarks....."Aspen Alley"........An amazing corridor of tall white aspens lining the road.........
cimg0329qn6.jpg

dscn2231aw9.jpg

dscn2230dg4.jpg

dscn2221iq3.jpg

dscn2229nk4.jpg

dscn2222lb4.jpg

cimg0352am4.jpg

We once again came down out of the forest to view a "post-card cover" farm valley off in the distance.............
dscn2235df8.jpg

dscn2234gh0.jpg

cimg0365ns8.jpg

cimg0367ep3.jpg

cimg0369ye4.jpg

cimg0372nh6.jpg

cimg0373em5.jpg

cimg0375ai3.jpg

cimg0378ws4.jpg

Hey Buddy,....Don't forget about us...we heard there was some free candy somewhere along this fence line...........
dscn2236mw2.jpg

Doc...I post at 858pm and you reponsed by 859pm...I am impressed!!! Great pics!

What a great ride. Now how can I get somebody to drop me off at the north end?!

This report is just awesome. Would somebody out there please buy my 250 EXC? I'm in bad need of a KLR!!

Great ride report :clap: makes me want to :rider:

DrBlackbird, thanks for resizing your pictures to 640x480 like Tourmeister asks everyone too. It makes the report load so much faster & I do not have to scroll the screen sideways. Those big pictures are a pain. :giveup:

DR Blackbird, Will there be a report on bikes and equipment?

How did the driving (fog?) lights on the KLR perform?
Yes......A couple of people have asked this.........
At the end of the trip, (If we make it to the Mexican Border)..........I'll close the Ride Report with some particulars....Like, How much did we spend every day, where we stayed and costs, how we had the bikes set up, luggage, tools, cameras, clothes, camping gear, and what gear we could have left at home...etc...........What areas we liked the best, the weather, the logistics of getting to the start and from the end points...........Thoughts on choosing your riding partners................
Jerry........Don't know if you've really checked out the KLR........I've trimmed some of the "Butt Ugly" KLR plastic bodywork..........Not that's it's possible to make the "Farm-Tractor" into anything that resembles a KTM, or Husky,....But it has helped..........
Front fairing has been shortened, rear fender is trimmed, KTM front fender, Rear passenger sets gone, Rear grab rails painted black as well as all plastic bodywork. Blinkers front and rear brought in closer to bike, Front 55w lights work great, (Don't use them too long while idling)
cimg0024ou7.jpg

cimg0027ww6.jpg

cimg0050un5.jpg

Life is too short to ride an Ugly KLR............But, It's by far, still the best all around Adventure Scoot for the money..........I think I'll keep mine for awhile.
.......Gary
Stay tuned...More Pictures being developed

Colorado................Don't ya wished it was a little bit closer.
Sit back, grab a cold one and let us show ya what we found in Colorado..
We enter the state through a National Forest.....to find this around a bend in the road..........Just someones "Little Getaway".......No, this isn't a lodge but a "Home"
cimg0390di1.jpg

cimg0389ai0.jpg

For the past couple of days we've been noticing the pine trees looking like they were going through fall color changes...But this is summer time, whats up?.....We ask around and find out that there is a bug eating all the Rocky Pines........And there is nothing that the scientists can do about it......In the near future, there will be very few pine trees left in the mountains......So Ya better get up off yer Butt and go ride the area before it's too late......Link below explains in greater detail.
http://www.fs.fed.us
/r6/nr/fid/fidls/fidl2.htm

cimg0388su7.jpg

cimg0392gw2.jpg

cimg0416wo6.jpg

We make our way down out of the Divide into the town of "Steamboat Springs" to hook up with Ray (Hoop) and our trusty Chauffeur (Floyd). We enter the north side of town and pull up to the main drag. The light turns green, I pull in my clutch and the lever goes to the bar and nothing happens.......This is when I think "****, that cable I bought is sitting on the kitchen table back at home"........Those that are here for just the pictures, go on,........
Those that might want to know how we got out of this serious jam, read on.......I pushed it down the slope and clicked it in gear, caught up with Carl, did a quick look see, broken at motor connect point, Carl said he'd go find Floyd and get the trailer, It's late Saturday, didn't know if there were any big cycle dealers in town......I just knew my trip was over.......(Long Story Shorter)....While Carl was off getting help, I couldn't just sit still.....After asking three shops for help or advice on an open store......One pointed me to a snowmobile, boat motor, lawnmower shop........Guy said he didn't have any such cable and that all cycle shops closed at noon on Sat........Great,.....As I was heading to the door, he mentions that he makes cables. I hang a quick u-turn and go talk to MacGyver. Come to find out, this guy is a wannabe "Orange County Chopper" builder....He had about 5 really nice custom choppers in all stages of build in the back of his shop. He pulls out his handy cable making kit, and starts reading the directions, (First time he's gotten a chance to use it). We look at my broken cable and determine the he doesn't have the right size braided part...all his cables are for heavy Harley clutches.....My hopes are dashed once again........Across the street I see an ACE Hardware......I said I'll be right back. By this time Carl, Ray, and Floyd call and meet me at ACE. I go in and buy a length of braided cable and hope it'll fit........MacGyver doesn't have the correct ends for my type of bike, so out comes the "Lead Smelting Kit"....He breaks off a chunk of lead and melts it down, all the while saying how much he's wanted to play with this new toy of his........This all takes place at 4:00 on a Sat afternoon........Three hrs later, we have a cable with two ends......Put it on the bike.....We measured wrong, it was too long......No sweat, he takes out another box of parts and a grinder and custom makes an inline spacer that we duck-taped and tywrapped on to the new custom-delux "ACE hardware/Harley" cable.........Install it, hop on the bike, I reach up and Carefully squeeze the lever all the while expecting to hear a big "Pop"........It work like a champ.
I don't know how many times I thanked the guy and said he saved my trip........$60 later,( yeah, I feel guilty, 3 hrs labor + parts)....I'm following the guys to the Hotel......
img2153uq1.jpg

img2164lp7.jpg

Enter..."The Hoopster".....Ray from Beaumont, parked in Demming NM. and slabbed it to S.Boat Springs to hook up with us for the second half of this Adventure........He was fresh, raring to go, wanting to get his good looking XR (Little Girls Bike) Dirty.........We'd been on the road for a week and wanted to sleep in...No such Luck...........Back in the saddle bright n early next morning.
img2324ih5.jpg

cimg0394mq9.jpg

cimg0396kl8.jpg

This day starts out with liners and rain gear on.......( Notice how clean we are in this shot)........"Cold n Wet"..........We swore Ray brought it with him.......:storm: ........We are above the clouds in a lite cold drizzle. Being supper careful to not over shoot a slippery cliff corner.......Thank goodness for good knobbies..........
dscn2244rj2.jpg

cimg0409az1.jpg

cimg0414lo6.jpg

Are the bike an I leaning or is it the mountains
dscn2249la7.jpg

cimg0417xm4.jpg
Thinking we are pretty much alone up here on the slick, water logged roads, I wasn't prepared for a Jeep to come sloshing around a corner filled with a huge mud puddle. He beats me to the mud hole and throws up the biggest wall of muddy water that almost knocks me off the bike,...Thank goodness I had my visor down.........
cimg0419mf4.jpg

cimg0421iq0.jpg

cimg0422yo5.jpg

cimg0432nq5.jpg

Some hardy tourists out rafting on a day like this.
cimg0412jb3.jpg

Around noon the drizzle fades off across the next range and the day begins to look good. .......A bit down the road, we see what looks like someones pet dog running down the road....Closer it gets, we see it's a wild Fox........We stop and watch as it walks right past our bikes, kinda gives us a nod, and goes up the side of the mountain........
cimg0424im2.jpg

cimg0425bi4.jpg

cimg0426na8.jpg

cimg0427ws5.jpg

cimg0428hq9.jpg

cimg0429tu9.jpg

With the rain last night and this morning, Carl is a little worried about a water crossing he had read about in other CDR reports........I had forgotten about it....Well....round about now is the time we come to it.........Do we try to cross it.... or ask our Garmins to reroute us.........What do you think........We had to go for it.........
dscn2243ln4.jpg

cimg0404ss9.jpg

cimg0405su0.jpg

cimg0406va8.jpg

img2173eq0.jpg

Clean rides once again.........
cimg0407uk1.jpg

cimg0438vm3.jpg

cimg0431ww9.jpg

dscn2255wy7.jpg

dscn2256rh9.jpg

A DR all alone.........Kind of a Sad, Lonely looking picture
dscn2257yp2.jpg

dscn2259kl1.jpg

ste2207xc2.jpg

cimg0503wl4.jpg

We come down into a high valley town of "South Park"......Gassed up, energy bar, adult beverage for later in the evening and some talk with some Adventure seekers" on Mules from Shreveport LA.....I'll let Carl tell the story, since he talked with the guy.......The sun came out and the rest of this day was beautiful.........
cimg0439ra0.jpg

cimg0441nn6.jpg

cimg0444ln8.jpg

cimg0459ms4.jpg

cimg0461kn2.jpg

cimg0462rk4.jpg

cimg0464ie9.jpg

Carl will have to remind us what town we stayed in this night.......Great hotel, Commercial washer n Dryer, a Computer with internet, indoor pool with two big heated outdoor hot-tubs, hose for washing our bikes, and restaurants all around us.
cimg0468kw8.jpg

cimg0469ll9.jpg

cimg0470kn4.jpg

cimg0472vn4.jpg

cimg0471ua9.jpg

More Pics to come......Just Let me finish the last of my Tequila

Our plan was to meet up with Ray (Hoop) and Floyd in Steamboat Springs, CO. Hoop was joining us for the rest of the CDR to the Mexican border. As Gary and I came into town at the first traffic light we had seen in days, the light turned green and off I went, but where is Gary. We just hit town and I already lost Gary. Gary then rides up and says his clutch cable broke. We regroup, Floyd had reserved us a hotel room so I go off to find them and return with the truck and trailer. Gary already covered the McGuiver clutch cable episode, but that cable made it the rest of the trip and saved us a lot of time. It rains hard that evening and is still misty the next morning when we, now 3 of us, head out. Gary and I had met Hoop back in January at the TWT East Texas mudfest ride. We really did not know Hoop that well and wondered how it might change the routine and rhythm of the ride Gary and I had developed.

We head out the next morning in the mist and mud. I knew we would have a major water crossing this morning and wondered how the recent rain would affect it. Well, it was deep and wide, but we all made it thru without a problem. Another section we wondered about was the area between Breckenridge and Salida, CO. The bicyclist's CDR route takes you more east thru Como, Hartsel, and South Park, CO. actually away from the true Continental Divide. We assumed beacuse it would be an easier route for bicyclists than the Rocky Mountain Passes. This eastern route is high open mesa and from other ride reports knew it could be another mudfest if it had rained. We decide to try it, glad we did, it was another high speed run similiar to our Great Basin 150 and a good introduction for Hoop. We take a break in South Park, CO. and in pulls 2 diesel trucks pulling horse trailers. I take a look and notice they are hauling 3-4 mules per trailer so I gots to go up and talk to these packers. Turns out they are from Louisiana and haul their mules there every year. They are, of course, very friendly and we talk mules for awhile. I have ridden mules and horses in the Rocky Mountains and know they will be riding on trails our mounts cannot go. We wish each other good luck and a good time.

It was along this eastern section that we meet bicyclists Cricket and Tina. We stop for a nice visit, I move in for another photo op, Gary will have to post that photo, and we move on down the trail to Salida, CO. for the night. We find a motel, wash the bikes, grab some beer, and head for the hot tub. Its getting late and we have not had dinner, next door is a restaurant. Gary decides not to eat and Hoop and I make it in the door just before closing time. It has been a long and full day riding, starting in the misty mountains, a major water crossing, a high speed mesa run, beer and hot tub, and now a late dinner. This is Hoop's first day on the CDR and he asks "is this your typical day"? Yea, pretty much, welcome to the CDR.

Well, I need to add a little bit here and there. I was supposed to have a riding partner to travel with me to Steamboat and meet up with Gary and Carl, but my partner backed out. So, I trailered to Deming, NM and left the car and trailer there. Rode the bike a couple of hours on pavement to Truth or Consequences and holed up there for the night. Got up the next day planning to ride about halfway to Steamboat, then finish up the ride the next day to meet the gang. I rode into the afternoon, some backroads, some interstate, and wound up in southern Colorado. I looked at the map and planned to ride another few hours and call it a day. Then I rode another few hours to make it to Buena Vista, where I knew I could find a hotel room.

After 450 miles of pavement, I pulled into Buena Vista, holy crap, there are people everywhere! All the hotels have the "no vacancy" signs lit, but I pulled in at the Best Western and asked what was going on. Turned out there was a big bicycle race the next day, and the town was overflowing with healthy young people wearing spandex. I got on the phone and called my wife and told her I was heading north some more, get on the phone and get me a hotel room in Frisco, Breckenridge, or Copper Mountain. By the time I got back on the bike, it was late afternoon, the sun was setting behind the mountains, and it was getting cooler. I thought to myself, “Well, at least it’s not raining.” I had about 60 miles to get to Breckenridge. About halfway there it started raining. I stopped at a gas station and called my wife again. Then I hung up with her, and started calling hotels myself. Finally found one in Frisco, another 10 miles up the road.

Got to the hotel, got cleaned up, headed across the street for some grub. I’m enjoying some Co-Mex food when the cell phone rings. It’s Carl, and he’s asking if I have Gary’s cell phone number. I don’t (see one of the earlier posts on this subject). Turns out Carl has run out of gas, and Gary left him on the road for dead, or something like that. Anyway, finished my meal and an adult beverage, and headed back to catch some Z’s.

The next day, I only had about 100 miles to ride to Steamboat, so I slept late, and finally headed out late morning. Made it into Steamboat before noon, met up with Floyd, and we went and had lunch in town. Later that afternoon is when we met Carl and Gary at the Ace Hardware store, and then hung out at the Insta-Gator’s shop making a cable.

The next morning, when we were at the gas station I was really feeling fine. We were gassing up and about to go ride in the rain, in the mountains, and we didn’t really know where we were going to spend the next night. We were at the pumps when I noticed the Suburban next to us. Kids in the back, Dad pumping gas, Mom in the front seat is looking at these three guys on dirt bikes. And I’m reading her expression, and she’s thinking that she wished she was with us instead of stuck in her Suburban. That was the inspiration for this post.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31869

Gary, you need to post the biker chic pics. And tell that story in full detail. The town we spent the night in that night was Salida. The Super 8 is owned by a friend of Malcolm Smith’s, so the story goes. The other 2 guys couldn’t stand the dirt on their “dirt bikes”, so they spent a half hour each washing their bikes off. Whatever. Then we terrorized the families in the hot tub. I had swim trunks. Unfortunately, Gary did not.

Steamboat to Salida - 256 miles, 11 hours. 6800 to 11,400' elevation

oh, one minor detail here. So now, there are 3 of us traveling together, Floyd is off doing his own thing on his street bike. So the 3 of us cram into a hotel room, and this is the first night I've experienced the freight train otherwise known as Gary's snoring. I've been around people who snore before, and I can snore some myself, but Gary takes snoring to a whole new level. And it's not just for a while, it's like a freight train a hundred miles long rolling down a mountain. It's like sawing logs with a chain saw. What else can I compare it to? And Carl's been dealing with this for a week now!

Ok, so now we have an excuse if we get the pics out of order, or leave out important details like the biker chicks. We were sleep-deprived. :mrgreen:

Well, don’t know what happened to Gary, so I’ll take over for a while. This is Day 1 for me, Steamboat to Salida, passing through Copper Mountain and South Park. After the deep water crossing, and after passing through Copper Mountain area, and the railroad stuff to the south, we were in the central Colorado plains for a while. It looked like this:

3017046483_08712cd553.jpg

This stuff was fun, but too much of a good thing sometimes. We were getting a little silly at times, hot-dogging and shooting some video.

I was in the lead when I topped a hill and passed two bicyclists who were sitting on the side of the road. I slowed down and waved, but since I was cooking along pretty good, I just kept going. I went maybe a half mile, and crossed another little creek, then stopped to see if the guys were still behind me. They weren’t. So I backtracked and Gary had just taken a couple of pics with Carl and the girls, Cricket and Tina.
3017980682_d00679cffb.jpg

We chatted with the girls for a while, and again, really admired their ability to take off a month or two and do this. I was also impressed with how light they are able to travel. Gary, the eternal flirt, asked where they were staying that night, and offered to buy them a drink. They said they were going to make it into Salida, and would look us up. Unfortunately, we kept going past the first hotel in town, and went to the Super 8, which was pretty nice for the price.
3017157947_2f34ba227a.jpg

This is Day 2 of CDR for me, but we decided to take a day away from the route to do some exploring to the north, with the general plan of getting to Gunnison for the night. I had ridden some of this area before, many years ago, and we had done a little pre-planning for this detour. We headed out with the idea of going to Tincup and freelancing from there. Some nice aspen on this road.

3017172915_39a735bfdc.jpg

We made it to Waunita Pass and met a guy on a CRF230 chugging up the mountain.

3017182891_eda1057739.jpg

We stopped and talked for a minute, then his sister came JOGGING up the mountain. Lung power, baby. This guy suggested we go to the train tunnel and look around on the way to Tincup, so we did.

3018058438_661ceb259b.jpg

3018058464_9c2dff3bc3.jpg

3018058458_6c1b676f40.jpg

We thought about taking a really rough “road” over Hancock Pass, but with Gary’s home-made clutch cable, it didn’t look like a good move. So we backtracked a bit and rolled on to Cumberland Pass, then took a nice backroad into Tincup for lunch.

3018058468_cc891f1d52.jpg

Couple of nice pics near Cumberland Pass.

3018074932_0cfefdd7a2.jpg

3018074936_dcc0a600ac.jpg

Here’s a pic of the famous café in Pitkin. No real café in Pitkin these days, what a shame.

3018058418_6eddc0a23f.jpg

Tincup had grown a restaurant since my last visit, and it was a pretty good one. We sat outside with an assortment of folks on bikes, ATV’s, jeeps, golf carts, you name it.

3018074958_9a486d2dbb.jpg

3018074960_9a14dc6a2f.jpg

After lunch, we started talking with some friendly bikers that were sitting next to us, and they suggested we take “One Mile Road” which leads south from Taylor River Road, which would be a shortcut to Gunnison.

Our first mistake, talking to this bunch from Chicago.

3018074966_5e695bdc45.jpg

They said this was a really nice trail. The directions were a little vague, though. Something like, “On the top of the first ridge, take a right. Then on the top of the second ridge, take a left.” That sounded pretty easy.

We hit a traffic jam on the way into Taylor Park.

3018058476_f8235c9678.jpg

Getting some gas at Taylor Park. There were bikes and ATV's everywhere.

3018074998_3e17cece41.jpg

Then we ran into Floyd, who happened to be riding his Ducati the opposite direction on Taylor River Road. Floyd was going to set us up with hotel rooms in Gunnison, we just had to get there via the scenic route. We found One Mile Road without any problem, passed some equestrians going the opposite direction, and it was a really nice trail, lots of steep climbs, some hardpack, some loose rock. We got to the top of a ridge, was that a right we were supposed to take? We took the right, even though the left looked like the most well-used trail. We got to the top of another ridge and faithfully took a left. Gary was in the lead at this point, and we got onto a really steep descent with loose pea-sized rocks. I was hoping that we wouldn’t have to backtrack. We came up to an intersection at the top of another ridge. It wasn’t obvious which way to go, so we consulted the GPS’s. It looked like a right turn was the correct direction, although the GPS’s didn’t show any roads or trails. We tried it, the road switchbacked down from the ridge and gradually petered out to nothing.

We backtracked and tried going straight at the intersection. This road had seen some recent jeep traffic. We came down from the ridge, and the road veered to the right, which was a good direction, and we could see the highway to Gunnison in the distance.

There's the highway! We're saved!

3018187970_06012b4ce3.jpg

We kept going, and we were within probably a half mile from the highway when I remembered that we would need to cross the Taylor River to get to the highway. Uh-oh. Then we topped a rise, and holy cow, there was a bridge across the river! Got a little closer, and we could see a closed gate at the end of the bridge. Oh no. Got up to the gate, and it wasn’t locked! Woo-hoo!

3018187978_e839c6e12a.jpg

Our luck turned again, just as we’re about to open the gate, we see someone in the distance waving to us, and pointing back toward the mountain behind us. He was yelling something, but we couldn’t make it out over the sound of the river. He continued waving and pointing, not in a friendly sort of way. We didn’t know what to do at this point, so we just held up our hands like we were lost (which we were), and didn’t know what to do (which was true). The waver, who we nicknamed Farmer Brown, finally got on his ATV, and rode over to talk with us.

As he got off the ATV and walked across to bridge toward us, we could see his face was red. This dude was hot. He started hollering and cussing at us, I can’t repeat what he said on this family forum. (I guess I could post it on ADV.) To make a long story short, he threatened us, and told us to backtrack and get off his property. Carl tried to reason with him, and calm him down, but he just started cussing us again, so we left.

We more or less followed his directions and eventually made it to Gunnison. Passed this relic along the trail.

3017309619_62b8b6ef96.jpg

We stayed at a new Super 8 in Gunnison. Carl really likes Super 8's. Floyd set us up with reservations at a restaurant north of town, which had the river in the backyard. We had a nice meal and turned in after doing some laundry.

love the Gunnison area, my family has gone there almost ever year for the last 25-30 years for a nice week to 2 week vacation. I have taken the jeep up there, but I think its time for a trip on the tiger.... hmmmmm :-D

stats on that last day of riding:

Salida to Gunnison - 148 miles, 9 hours. 7200 to 12,300' elevation

Ok, on to day 3, which happened to be a Monday, and we happened to be in Gunnison, where there is a Kawasaki dealer. We were still worried about Gary’s homemade clutch cable, so we figured with all the KLR’s in these parts, the dealer should have a cable. So, we slept late and arrived at the Kawi dealer at his opening time. To make a long story short, the dealer was a jack---***. He told us that he didn’t have the KLR part, but he had over 200 different cables in stock, so we should take the cable off the bike and let him try to match it. So, Gary took the cable off the bike and brought it back inside. The guy went behind the counter for maybe 2 minutes then came back with a cable that was about 2’ too short, and he says that’s the closest match he’s got. We were impressed that he could go through 200 cables that quickly. The guy just didn’t want to help at all. We asked if he could order a cable and have it shipped to Cuba, where we planned to be in 2 days. Nope, couldn’t do that either.

We moved on to the Husaberg dealer a few blocks away, where he took Gary’s money and had a cable shipped to the hotel in Cuba. So, we finally got out of town around 10:30 AM. We knew this was going to be a relatively easy day, since the trail skirted east of the Divide for a while. We also knew that we needed to spend the night in Del Norte, otherwise we would probably be camping out. So, we had all afternoon to go about 125 miles. Fortunately for us, the day’s ride had a high scenery factor to make up for it.

This is the road south from the Sargents area. This is a relatively people-free zone, except for some fishermen and ranchers, this area doesn’t seem to get much traffic.

3020940616_d00dfbe230.jpg

3020940620_9e0534e872.jpg

3020310779_366f227fca.jpg

Hey, not too far off the pavement, we ran into the biker chicks again. This time we got a group photo. They had stopped at the first hotel they hit in Salida, since it was after dark when they arrived. We compared notes again, and said our farewells once more. Notice that Carl always gets in close for photos with strange women.
3020310773_728786ec4a.jpg

Staying out of the dust. (That spot of light is Carl's headlight.)

3020940624_1d31a07336.jpg

3020940630_e184b98af3.jpg

When I stopped to take these 2 pics, I told the guys to run up to the next campground, and let’s turn off and take a break. Then I missed the turnoff somehow, so we got separated for a while. I figured I had missed the turn, so I stopped and took a long break at another campground, thinking that the guys would catch up with me. I waited for a good 30 minutes, then I figured they must be ahead of me, so I got on the bike and rode like a madman for a while. Then I stopped again when I came to a spot where I could look for tracks and didn’t see any.

3020940636_7bfdc4a38c.jpg

3020940646_07dbac7afc.jpg

Carl cookin’on down the road to catch up with me. Turns out Gary wanted to commune with nature some more, so Carl went ahead to find me.

3020103269_fde4583baa.jpg

Carl and I leapfrogged the rest of the way into Del Norte.

3020111037_6248caa93f.jpg

This corner snuck up on me (Gary took the pic an hour later). Fortunately, this wasn’t one of those Colorado turns with a 50’ drop-off.

3020310797_2c738181a2.jpg

A rock photo-op.

3020310791_36f34da048.jpg

Scenery a little north of Del Norte.

3020111043_1a08aa6b04.jpg

Just north of Del Norte is a few miles of sand whoops that had me wishing for a lighter bike, or just that I was carrying less gear along with me. (sorry no pics, hanging on)

At the hotel in Del Norte. (the only one)

3020111051_debcee6fcc.jpg

The hotel was a quaint little place with a restaurant out front. Very friendly folks. No AC, but we didn’t need it anyhow. We got in early, and got fed early, and had lots of time for adult beverages. We really had a good evening sitting around and hearing Gary’s life story. Unfortunately for me, I had a few too many and I was to pay the price tomorrow…

Stats for the day: Gunnison to Del Norte - 124 miles, 7 hours. 7700 to 10,100' elevation

The next morning, we got a relatively early start, since this was going to be a long day. If I haven’t said this already, I should have had a bigger gas tank. I had the smallest of the three bikes, at 4.3 gallons, which gives me about 125 miles to reserve, then another 40 or 50 miles to empty. However, I had scoped out where gas would be a problem, and had made a list of detours away from the route that I would have to take to go get gas to stay out of trouble. For some reason, I was in a hurry and neglected to check the route for the day, instead relying on memory where my gas stop escape route was.

We started out on dirt roads right outside of town, climbing towards Summitville. We passed a sign that listed a closed road somewhere ahead, but didn't stop to read it, didn't recognize the road number, and kept on trucking. We were mostly on national forest land, lots of trees, good dirt road, high speed. Got high enough where there was some snow on the side of the road, stopped and played in the snow.

3023868292_2d9eb51a53.jpg

Gary stuck his bike in the mud bank in front of the glacier.
3023049253_5b40e6baa3.jpg

It fell over after a few minutes, then it took all of us to pick it up, turn it around and get him pointed back to the road.

3023082529_ea632c0129.jpg

3023082533_2d045b5afd.jpg

This is what a stupid grin looks like.

3023902496_9e3ca6a061.jpg

Wrote a sign in the snow to the biker chicks, to let them know we were thinking about them. I was pooped out after scratching “TINA” into the ice, so I had to abbreviate “Cricket”.

3023049267_be05ce8338.jpg

Got rolling again, rolled another 20 miles uphill, and hit a road closed sign, with a chain across the road.

3023049285_564d852aeb.jpg

GPS shows we're within smelling distance of Summitville (the peak). We went around the chain to see what we could see. There were a dozen or so guys working with heavy equipment installing culverts under the road, and then a lot more activity adjacent to the road where they were remediating some water that was contaminated with cyanide from mining activity. We could see where the road picked up again not more than 2 tenths of a mile from where we had to stop. One of the crew came over and made it clear that there was no ******* way we were getting through.

3023902504_08be797933.jpg

Carl consulted the maps. I should have done more of this.

3023902502_45b920af3a.jpg

3023902514_26683f497f.jpg

He told us to detour back towards South Fork, then take Park Creek Road to Summitville, he said about a 20 mile detour. To make a long story short, it was a 60 mile detour. Scenic, but still a detour, and we were already on a long day. The good news was that we got gas near South Fork at an RV park. The bad news was that I had only burned 1.5 gallons at that point, so I wasn't in the clear for the day.

Scenery along the detour.

3023049289_67467f720a.jpg

Picked up the route again and continued on. Good roads, lots of scenery. Passed through an area with mining legacy.

3023082547_85604dd94e.jpg

3023967346_c30ae4428e.jpg

3023967316_bf16480d1f.jpg

Hit highway 17, turned south on dirt roads and crossed the narrow gauge railroad. This was where I screwed up, because I needed to run hiway 17 west to Chama for gas. I mistakenly thought the side trip for gas was from hiway 64. We continued to the Co/NM border, stopped for a granola break.

3023906812_a06ee0a366.jpg

Continued south into NM, the road suddenly got insane. Went through several miles of very difficult terrain, baby heads, shale, steep sections, washouts. I was in heaven after all the jeep roads we'd been running. Sorry, no pics, hanging on for dear life.

The only problem was that this slowed us way down, we were going to run out of daylight. The going got easier after a while, running a high ridge which dropped down into forested valleys then climbed up again. Switchbacks, some wildlife, very scenic overlooks.

More scenery:

3023082539_823e391873.jpg

Hit hiway 64 and looked at the map for my gas stop, and realized I'm screwed. It was a little after 3 PM. We assessed the situation. Carl was convinced that if we continued on south on the route towards Abiquiu, that there was no gas. Only choice was 40 miles on the hiway to Chama. I told the guys to continue on the route, and I'd meet them in Cuba by riding the highway. They said, no, we'll stick together.

So we made the very scenic run into Chama, but I felt like an idiot. Got to the gas station, we were all beat, mentally and physically. Carl suggested sleeping in Chama instead of pressing on to Cuba, and Gary and I agreed. We made a lap around the town, Carl picked a hotel, we checked in. Drove around back to our room, and there was Floyd's pickup truck, he had picked the same town and the same hotel on the same night, purely by coincidence. I was going to volunteer to sleep in Floyd's room to get away from Gary's snoring, but Carl beat me to it.

After we got checked in and fed, we started thinking about the biker chicks again, and how that 60-mile detour would probably cost them the better part of a day. So we called the hotel in Del Norte, and told the receptionist that we needed to get a message to the two women who were riding bicycles. To my surprise, she rung their room, and Cricket answered. We told them were the roadblock was, and suggested they ride the highway to South Fork to detour. They were grateful to avoid such a long detour.

We had a few (fewer than the night before) adult beverages and hit the sack.

Floyd and feline companion after unloading the Duc for the next morning's ride.

3023082555_c351e74db8.jpg

Stats: Del Norte to Chama - 236 miles, 9 hours. 7400 to 11,900'

Last edited by a moderator:
New Mexico.....The Land of Enchantment.........
The State we'd heard so much about.......Really lived up to it's Reputation......One would think, when you arrive down south in N.M., it would be dry canyon after dry canyon........You'd see nothing but Cactus, mesquite, and Rattle Snakes........But... "Oh No my Friends"......New Mexico turned out to be our "Bestus" State.......It had Aspens, Killer National Forests, Insane twisting roads, Major Elevation changes,..(Poor Bicycle Riders), Lakes, Rivers, Flowers, great camping areas..."Ahhemm, Carl"......Even when we had to do short stints on asphalt, We felt like we were on the "Tail of the Dragon".........
Day starts out with a great statue in the parking lot........These next pictures may over-lap some of Hoops postings.........I'll keep the verbiage to a minimum, and let you "Guys" look at the pictures...........
Enjoy
cimg0475qs9.jpg

cimg0480km2.jpg

The next grouping of Pictures will be of some of the great roads we encountered along the way
cimg0961wv4.jpg

cimg0579ng4.jpg

cimg0485ea5.jpg

cimg0500fk9.jpg

cimg0514le9.jpg

cimg0533yd7.jpg

cimg0696nd0.jpg

cimg0694vk4.jpg

cimg0693ro8.jpg

cimg0653wl7.jpg

cimg0640eq6.jpg

cimg0618cr8.jpg

cimg0705et7.jpg

cimg0612hw4.jpg

cimg0767bf5.jpg

cimg0868wq3.jpg

cimg0698nv7.jpg

Today, we were really getting into the scenery, the roads, the smell of mountain pines and fresh air.........We pulled up to a watering hole and agreed to ride our own ride.......We knew where we were going, (GPS), we decided to separate, and do our own thing.........I found a nice Aspen meadow and laid back watching the clouds....next thing I know, it was 30min later and I was waking up from a nap..............(You know the old saying,"When a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there, does it make a sound?........Well, If I "Snore" in the forest and no one is there..........:sleep:
cimg0631aw4.jpg

cimg0651ej8.jpg

cimg0649xp7.jpg

cimg0648ul7.jpg

cimg0633hm6.jpg

cimg0849rb9.jpg

cimg0848dd7.jpg

cimg0525wi5.jpg

cimg0528vf6.jpg

cimg0530xc4.jpg

What,..we would give to see signs like this here in Texas.....
cimg0611ds2.jpg

We were separated by 15 - 20 mins each....When I come across this sight that put a smile on my face........I see not one, but 2 sets of tire tracks blowing a turn...Right off into the field they went....Of course I had to mention this when I caught up to them...........:rofl:
cimg0663kv1.jpg

We rode for most of the day without seeing anyone and finally came out of one of many National Forests to see the most impressive sign we'd yet to see....Three tracks leaving one of the "Bestus" areas we'd been in......120 miles of rugged prime "Dual-Sport" real estate........
cimg0877wy5.jpg

cimg0878go2.jpg

dscn2371xr3.jpg

dscn2373ll5.jpg

Rain.......Had been off in the distance a couple of mountain ranges over, and it looked like it was catching up to us. It was late afternoon when we came down into town to get some gas for Ray and hook up with Floyd.........The hotel was ready and waiting for our arrival......and just in time..........We had barely unloaded the bags when the wind picked up and turned very cold........We were just sitting down on the back patio having a beer when it let loose with rain, wind, hail and fireworks.............
dscn2436hq7.jpg

dscn2434nu2.jpg

cimg0888fe3.jpg

cimg0893br7.jpg

cimg0894pn7.jpg

We should have been camping this night........smiles
We unwound on the back patio for one or two beers, then headed to the kitchen for some Grub...........I order a chicken breast and some fresh veggies, noticing the steak selections, but passing on the steaks, thinking that this little Mom n Pop Hotel will probably have some frozen horse meat......."Say hello to the finest hunk of Prime Beef we've seen all trip.....and the kicker is...$13.00 for that plate..........I moaned so much about my wimpy "Barn-Yard-Bird, that Carl gave me a taste.........
dscn2431jq0.jpg

At our table, right outside our window....there were Humming Bird feeders.....Alfred H. could have made a sequel to the "Birds", with all the humming birds.........It was pretty cool, eating a fine meal and being entertained by Nature.
cimg0899oe8.jpg

cimg0900zy5.jpg

Good Night.........More to come Tomorrow

Back