• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Plucky Aussie Rides Up Above in USA

Reaction score
First Name
David
tn_DavidJ08277.jpg

The long awaited payback trip for Aussie David J. came to pass in September 4-17. This trip had it’s beginning in 2007 when David responded to my KTMtalk notice to borrow a bike for the motorcycle events at the World Police and Fire Games March 16-25 held in Adelaide, South Australia. It was a monumental, once in a lifetime trip for me. Not only did I compete in the Games MX and Cross Country events, David also took me on rides at Morgan and Bowhill. We talked about him coming over for a USA ride when I was there and in emails thereafter. Finally everything came together and a date was set. This is the story, my ride report, of those 2 weeks in September 2008.

A mere 36 hours after David left his home in Adelaide he was here at my house in Oklahoma. He traveled light, mainly because of the bargain prices of Moto gear in the US compared to Australia. His new stuff, including a nice Ogio KTM gear bag, was already at my house when he arrived.
The first few days Dave relaxed and got settled in. We went to the Friday night drags and checked out some fast bikes and cars. The next day we checked out our bikes at the local Crosstimbers riding area.
tn_DavidJ08001.jpg

Dave found the only mud hole on our, experts only, Black Loop.
tn_DavidJ08063.jpg

No worries. Dave showed me how to clean the bikes “properly”.
tn_DavidJ08066.jpg

I also talked Dave into taking a ride in my friends Pitts. Plucky
tn_DavidJ08018.jpg

Dave’s a big guy. A Pitts is small. Even without shoes it was a cram fit.
tn_DavidJ08048.jpg

He handled all loops, spins, rolls, and hammerheads without a problem. What got him was when she pulled vertical for another hammerhead then aborted the maneuver by nosing over. Clouds. This unexpected and abrupt positive g to negative g put Dave at his gastronomical limit. Thankfully no spew ensued.

Ready to head out. Myself, Roger Cox, David J.
tn_PicturesDave090911001.jpg

Dave enjoyed some driving in the Oklahoma panhandle and Eastern Colorado.
tn_DavidJagerCO08036-1.jpg

tn_DavidJagerCO08037-1.jpg

We stopped for lunch in Trinidad, CO. population 9,000. Besides being an historic old west town it is also known as the sex change capital of the world. http://www.moss-fritch.com/biber.htm True. With this in mind I thoughtfully suggested to whiny Roger that this could be a good place for him to get an inexpensive transplant of discarded manly adornments since he was unable to grow a pair on his own. Thoughtful friend, that’s me.
Trinidad.jpg

We stayed at a small motel on Highway 50 in Salida. Not the best place to stay but they did have guard rabbits keeping watch over everything.
tn_PicturesDave090911139.jpg

Across the street is a Chevrolet dealer with Dave’s new dream car out front. When it was sold the next day we couldn’t talk him into the white convertible version. It was declared a “Hairdresser’s car”.
tn_DavidJagerCO08122-1.jpg

We kept trying some typical American food on Dave. Thumbs down on the biscuits and gravy. “Not for breakfast”.
tn_PicturesDave090911008.jpg

We met up with my friend Bob Daniel for dinner. I first met Bob when he was in the US Air Force stationed at the Oklahoma City base in 1974. During that time he was one of the top riders in the Blackjack and Texas Championship enduro circuits. He bought a house in Salida several years ago and now lives there year round.

The first days ride began near St. Elmo. We loosely planned out an easy loop to get Dave acclimated to the altitude and rocks.
tn_PicturesDave090911012.jpg

We stopped and looked around at the Mary Murphy mine and then the much photographed Allie Belle.
tn_PicturesDave090911018.jpg

The first pass on the divide wasn’t very far.
tn_PicturesDave090911022.jpg

Tomichi pass is also just around the corner.
tn_PicturesDave090911024.jpg

We are riding jeep roads and stopping frequently to look around and take pics.
tn_PicturesDave090911028.jpg

After we pass through the White Pine community we take the sweet Lower Canyon Creek trail.
tn_PicturesDave090911032.jpg

Good stuff to break in a new guy.
tn_PicturesDave090911034.jpg

tn_PicturesDave090911038.jpg

We stopped for Elk and Bison burgers in Sargents. David declared the apple pie as the “best ever”.
tn_PicturesDave090911040.jpg

We took the Quakey trail to Black Sage pass. From Waunita Hot Springs we took FS 769 back to the Upper Canyon Creek trail. This is a short cut trail back over to Tomichi Pass. I’ve only taken it a few times, always in the other direction. I remember the last time I took it was with Denny Beitler back in the 80’s. As I recall he looped his Husky on one of the steep switchbacks and it ended up on top of him, in a gearhead Brokeback Mountain kinda way. Yes, there was penetration. Fair warning. Weird things have happened on this trail.

It starts out really nice though.
tn_PicturesDave090911041.jpg

As it continues you get to a pretty high elevation. That’s the easy part.
tn_Pictures080910008-1.jpg

After you reach the crest it starts getting a little rockier.
tn_PicturesDave090911052.jpg

Near the end are some switch back turns with some really big “Erzberg” rocks. Not fun at all for inseam challenged Roger. Todays ride, 84 miles easy, 1 mile challenging.
tn_PicturesDave090911059.jpg

The next day’s ride began at the Shirley town site near Poncha Springs. It’s just a short ride to the Rainbow Trail single track.
tn_PicturesDave090911070.jpg

This section of the Rainbow Trail is really nice.
tn_PicturesDave090911079.jpg

Good dirt, no dust.
tn_DavidJ08072.jpg

Here we are on the Otto Mears toll road. Bob’s telling the history of the old road and the names of some of the mountain peaks.
tn_PicturesDave090911090.jpg

Some of the old abandoned mine structures are still standing. This is the Cocomongo Mine and Mill. It’s interesting to try and figure out what processes went on there.
tn_DavidJagerCO08095-1.jpg

You could tell this was a room where miners changed clothes. Short buggers back then.
tn_Pictures080910013.jpg

We waited out the normal afternoon rain/sleet shower at Villa Grove and ate lunch. Food was OK but pie expert Dave, although smiling, gave thumbs down on this pie.
tn_PicturesDave090911117.jpg

Checking out another old area mine.
tn_PicturesDave090911120.jpg

This bossy little guy came out and demanded all our snacks.
tn_PicturesDave090911125.jpg

We gave him some then high tailed a fast get away.
tn_PicturesDave090911128.jpg

Back where we started at the Shirley site. 74 miles. From some scrawled notes the basic loop included Spring Creek Trail, Orange Trail, Rainbow Trail, Otto Mears Toll Road, Slaughter Creek, Bonanza, Whale Hill, Wild Bill Gulch, Villa Grove, Alder Creek, Clover Gulch back to Spring Creek. Could have gotten my creeks and gulches mixed up though.
tn_PicturesDave090911137.jpg

Time for another Roger rant before we head back to town. Dirtbikes got taller and he got shorter, yeah, yeah, get over it Stubby.
tn_PicturesDave090911138.jpg

Thumbs down on another classic American breakfast fare. Grits.
tn_PicturesDave090911068.jpg

View from Bob’s in the pinion hills. 0 miles this day but great food and fun hanging out at the Daniel homestead. Keywords for great cookout, Scanga’s Meat Market, best in Colorado.
tn_DavidJ08214.jpg

We met part time Salida residents Wendell and Jim the next morning. Wendell led us on a great loop out of Sargents. He thought I looked like Malcom Smith. I think he does.
tn_PicturesDave090911143.jpg

It was great following Wendell. He’s a good rider that knows some really good loops.
tn_PicturesDave090911149.jpg

tn_PicturesDave090911151.jpg

Upper Agate Creek Trail to the Crest Trail was nice.
tn_PicturesDave090911158.jpg

The Crest Trail is a really high trail on the divide and was in great shape from Agate Creek to Monarch Pass.
tn_PicturesDave090911167.jpg

tn_PicturesDave090911170.jpg

tn_PicturesDave090911176.jpg

Old guys like us take plenty of breaks to look around and enjoy the scenery. During one of our breaks we decided, as an international goodwill gesture, Dave could pick out a Rocky mountain to take home.
DavidJ08145.jpg

Eventually we picked up Lower Agate Creek trail. One of my all time favorites.

Roger would kill for legs like that.
tn_PicturesDave090911184.jpg

One of the many Agate Creek crossings.
tn_PicturesDave090911189.jpg

This is near where you see the remains of a lot of vehicles that have plunged off SH 50.
tn_PicturesDave090911204.jpg

The X trail back to Sargents. Once you find it, you can’t miss it.
tn_DavidJ08204.jpg

It’s non-stop entertainment with Roger around. Sargent’s is a great place to start and end a great ride. 62 miles today. Plenty of those miles were premium single track.
tn_PicturesDave090911206.jpg

Desk jockey Dave wore a blister on his knee. Probably some other places too. I didn’t ask. He put a Tegaderm bandage on it and never complained. Plucky.
tn_PicturesDave090911208.jpg

Final days ride begins at the Mt. Crested Butte trail head.
tn_DavidJagerCO08159-1.jpg

The mountains on both sides of Brush Creek sported some overnight snowfall.
tn_DavidJagerCO08160.jpg

We stopped and caught our breath before pushing the rest of the way to Pearl Pass.
tn_DavidJ08243.jpg

Pearl Pass elevation 12,705’. Aspen to the left, Crested Butte to the right.
tn_DavidJ08246.jpg

Cool spires on the Aspen side.
tn_DavidJ08247.jpg

The snow on the way down was a little deeper.
tn_Pictures080913041.jpg

The only Aspen trees we saw turning were these on the way up Taylor Pass.
tn_DavidJ08268.jpg

Coming down to Taylor Park.
tn_DavidJ08273.jpg

We had agreed Dave could have a mountain but not this one, not American Flag Mountain. Deals off.
tn_DavidJ08274.jpg

At this point Dave’s ridden a bunch of miles. I think he’s got to be worn down but he’s still smiling.
tn_DavidJagerCO08178.jpg

We head down then left past Italian Mountain to Cement Creek then the bitumen back to Crested Butte. 72 miles total.
tn_DavidJ08280.jpg

On the way back to Oklahoma we stopped by the Royal Gorge at Canon City.
tn_DavidJ08290-1.jpg

Roger and Dave weren’t concerned but those rocking floorboards didn’t seem too safe to me.
tn_DavidJ08286-1.jpg

Back at home we took a road ride down to Mount Scott.
tn_DJ08037.jpg

tn_DJ08038.jpg

Dave just before heading to the airport.
tn_DJ08044.jpg

David J.: 43 years old tooling engineer. Married. 2 kids 8, 11. Travels to Pacific Rim countries to inspect and set up press lines. He raced MX when he was younger and occasionally rides with some of the Ariel MC guys. Surprise, he really does eat Vegemite.

That’s it. 30 something hours later Dave is back with his family in Adelaide.
tn_DavidJagerCO08005-1.jpg

plucky

Adjective: pluck·y (pluk’e)
1. marked by courage and determination in the face of difficulties or danger.

2.Having or showing courage and spirit in trying circumstances.

DavidJ08059.jpg

Awesome Ride and report.

I was in Calgary back in the 90's when the P&F games came to town. That is truely an amazing event

Great pics, great report, great adventure, especially for Dave. He'll be telling stories to those kids for years.

Outstanding Ride Report!

Its Ride Reports like this that need there own place holder somewhere so we can go back to them often. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us! Great Work!

:standing: :clap:

Last edited:
Back