• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tinstar: Texas to Tombstone

Reaction score
I've been waiting for this week forever it seems. Too much work and too little play has made Jack a dull boy indeed!

My vapid plan was to leave early Sunday morning at daylight and make haste to El Paso by way of I-10, with intentions of continuing to Tombstone, Arizona and thereabouts. Having been inspired by Dave 6253's outstanding ride report here on ADVRider, I want to explore the area, including the remote and somewhat dangerous border roads along the Mexican border.

I'd just gotten a new set of panniers for the bike, and was anxious to get them on the road and full of too much gear. Unfortunately, I ran out of time Saturday and wasn't able to get my camping gear packed in time, so it will be rough... a hot shower and hotel bed every night. So sad :(

I woke up at 5:50 am, looked around, and then promptly fell back asleep. It was a rough night of wrestling with some bad fajitas... I eventually did get up, fed the cows, milked the chickens and finally got the last of the gear on board.

The morning was foggy and cool, and by the time the bike was warmed up, the clouds were clearing and the air was brisk. It was gonna be a gorgeous day!

P1010663-2-XL.jpg

P1020909-XL.jpg

The ride in to Kerrville was chilly, but free of any dangerous encounters with deer or the dreaded BlueHairs. I fear them more than anything and Kerrville is the epicenter of Buicks and bluehairs. Consider it Blue Hair Nation. Trust me.

P1010670_1-XL.jpg

At any rate, after gassing at the Shell, I was on the road at 9:30 and throttle pegged for El Paso. The rush of excitement hit squarely as the bike hit 80 and the sign for "El Paso 491 miles" flew by. I knew it was gonna be a long day :norton

After settling in for a while at 80, I was passed by a beautiful, black, Aston Martin doing about 110 or so. James Bond musta had a hot date...

There was a strong headwind and the new GSA cases had more noticeable drag than my older system cases, and it took a while getting used to the new sensitivity - the wind definitely moves the bike a bit more.

The great thing about 10 West is that posted speed limit is 80, but by the time I hit Junction, I could tell the bike was sucking gas more than usual. With the head wind, drag and 5000 rpm to maintain 83-ish, I was nearly empty by the time I hit Sonora... yikes! My mileage had dropped to 32 mpg from the usual 42 or so. Isn't this terribly interesting?

Even more excitement - gassing up in Sonora
P1010671_1-XL.jpg

I filled up the so-called "7/11" there and tho it seems to be an actual 7/11, I'm not so sure it isn't a cheap Chinese knock off... that was the dirtiest version I've ever seen.

At any rate, that didn't stop me from having a classic road trip breakfast. Coffee and hot dog warming on Beemer cylinder heads... yuuuuuumaaay!

P1010672-2-XL.jpg

P1010673_1-XL.jpg

From Junction, the terrain slowly changes from the green, cedar covered hills to the larger vistas and plateaus past Sonora. I hear folks complain about the flatness of west Texas, but I'm not sure why. Sure, the highway meanders through the flat valleys, but the hills and plateaus around are beautiful there are great vistas most of the way.

P1010681-XL.jpg

P1010679-XL.jpg

By the time Ozona slid past, the temps were beginning to warm up a bit from the sun, and as I reached the giant windfarms out near Iraan, I could tell it was about time to shed the cold weather gloves and remove the liner from my jacket.

P1010685-2-X2.jpg

P1010686-XL.jpg

I was eyeing my shrinking fuel supply, and as I neared Ft. Stockton, I knew it would be close... about 18 miles out, the last bar on the display disappeared and the fuel light came on. At 60, I can get about 20 or so miles after the light appears, but I wasn't sure I'd make it. I carry a couple of fuel cells for emergencies, but I didn't want the bike to die on the freeway. Finally, the first exit came up and I pulled into the Exxon. Woohoo! I did my routine of gloves off, helmet off, earplugs out, jacket off so I could take the liner out, unsnap the tankbag and lay it back, unlock the cap, dig out the wallet, slide in the credit card, debit? NO, authorizing..., insert fuel nozzle and select fuel type, premium... SEE ATTENDANT. Aaargh. Go inside to hear that "all the pumps are down and we don't know why". Crapola. Reverse the routine, get the bike back on the highway and hope it doesn't die before the next exit.

After fueling at the next station and people watching for a bit, it was back on 10. It's been a long time since I've been west of Ft. Stockton and the mountains and hills of Balmorrhea looked enticing, but no joy since I still had hours to go. At the merge of I-10 and I-20, the traffic picked up substantially as did the 18 wheelers, and the temperature in the area dropped about 10 degrees. I was wishing I'd left my jacket liner in :D

P1010688-XL.jpg

P1010689-2-X2.jpg

P1010683-2-XL.jpg

Settled in to my rythmic boredom of 85, I saw a white car coming up fast behind me. I tried to determine if it was local law enforcement, but in my buzzing mirrors I could only tell it was white. As it went past, at least 10 mph faster than me, I was shocked to see that it was one of those tiny "SMART" cars. I couldn't believe it. I had no idea they could go that fast! I was tempted to stay with it, but chuckled instead... it was funny seeing such a tiny car going that fast.

Here's the screaming little Smart car :lol2:
P1010692-2-X2.jpg

Strangely enough, not too long after this, I saw both Elvis and Michael Jackson. The rumors are true!!! They're both alive and well, tho Elvis has gained a ton of weight. They both had Big Gulps and were riding in a Kia... probably not to attract attention.

Van Horn was next up, and I swung through the town before gassing up.

P1010693-2-X2.jpg

P1010697-2-XL.jpg

P1010700-2-X2.jpg

The lady clerk at the gas station wished me a Happy Thanksgiving and told me to be "extra careful on that bike". I promised I would and took off yet again, but excited because El Paso was my next stop. It was the nirvana I sought, the unreachable goal, the never-ending journey, the end of a long, windy day. Was it really only 116 miles away????

P1020912_2-X2.jpg

As I entered the stream of trucks going west, I noticed the bike had more engine vibes than normal. Hmmm. Acceleration was groggy and the power didn't seem to be there like it usually is. I pulled off and checked the vacuum hoses on the injection side but found nothing. Eventually it cleared up and the power came back. Woohoo!

To the south, the mountain ranges in Mexico were visible in the blue haze and the slowly sinking sun. On the eastbound side of I-10, there was a large Border Patrol Checkpoint, and it appeared that all traffic on 10 has to go through. Wild!

As the range of mountains by El Paso began to appear, I could see large fires to the south, the blue smoke drifting eastward across the valley. I couldn't tell if they were on the Mexican side or the U.S. side, but there were several, spaced miles apart along the river valley.

I rolled into El Paso as the sun came close to the horizon, the smoke and pollution dense and blue in Cuidad Juarez, and the familiar smokestacks lit by the setting sun. I had planned on going on to Las Cruces, but after 8 hrs of buffeting on the bike I decided to gas up, buy a map of New Mexico and find a place for the night. As I passed the Best Western, I saw a lone 1200GS in the lot and wondered which way he was headed.

P1010701-2-X2.jpg

P1010702-XL.jpg

Grabbed a room at the EconoLodge, where the clerk told me I could park the bike next to the office window (cool!)

P1010704-2-XL.jpg

P1010708-2-X2.jpg

P1010711-2-XL.jpg

Finished the day with a great steak at the nearby Texas Roadhouse.

My apologies for the lack of interesting stories and photos, but today was for making miles. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Adios Amigos

Last edited:
I should be working rather than reading your story; I couldn't help myself. It has been awhile since the ladybugs rode on your windshield to ...Big Bend was it?

I am looking forward to the rest!

Another good tale Tinstar! Following along.

The bags look great.

You made I-10 seem interesting! I'm really looking forward to seeing your account when you get off of it.

Last edited:
Don't worry about your story so far. It's going great and I'm happy to be along for the ride!!! :rider:

Hey I think I recognize the GS. Keep'em coming and ride safe,dude.
TexTom

Wow what a great riding day

First off, when they say "EconoLodge", they mean it. My room smelled, well, smelly. It's also the first time I've ever had to put sheets on my own bed, and to top it off, there were only two sheets - no blankie, no disease ridden bedspread, just two flat sheets laying on a mattress. I won't discuss the mattress here, however...

Breakfast consisted of an amazing variety of Honeybuns, imitation Raisin Bran and slightly warmer than room temp coffee. And I was too lazy to warm them on my bike.
P1010712-XL.jpg

As I packed up the bike this morning, one of the guests (whom I'd seen checking in with what appeared to be a mail order bride) came over to talk bikes. He hadn't ridden in years and wanted to know all about the GS's. As much as I wanted to talk, I wanted to hit the road even more. But it goes with the territory so we talked for a while. I sooooooo wanted to ask him how he met his wife but was I was nice and didn't. But I digress.

My bike
P1010714-XL.jpg

My stuff
P1010715-XL.jpg

My stuff on the bike
P1010716-XL.jpg

My stuff on the bike and ready to git
P1010718-XL.jpg

I had decided to take NM Hwy 9 along the border all the way to Arizona, and my cheapo map didn't show where it connected in El Paso. The gal behind the desk told me a series of ways, all of which I immediately forgot, and all I remembered was the road to start on. So I did and when I stopped for gas, the cashier gave me better directions. When I got near to 9, I plugged in the next town - "Columbus" - and punched in "shortest route". It led me through a warehouse district, where I saw a gigantic collection of those huge wind turbine blades. There had to be thousands stored there, and that is not an exaggeration.

P1010721-XL.jpg

P1010723-XL.jpg

The pavement ended shortly after, and after a mile or two on the sandy road, I saw what appeared to be a smoke stack with a pile of cardboard and junk around it. I veered and slowed down, only to realize the "smokestack" was an optical device and the cardboard was actually tan military canvas... It was a military observation spotting post for illegals, and I panicked momentarily, wondering if they'd shoot me for stopping and looking at them. I decided to act like something was wrong with the bike instead and go on rather than risking "an incident".

Another mile or two, I hit Hwy 9 and turned west. The sun was still low behind me and the temp was a bit nippy. The road was long and straight, with sand and cactus as far as you could see. A steady supply of Border Patrol passed me going both ways, and the one thing I'd forgotten about New Mexico was their ridiculous speed limits. 55. For the rest of the day.
At this point, many of you are saying, "55? So what? Ain't no cops out there!" I, however, have vivid memories of getting a ticket for going 70 in a NM 55 in the middle of nowhere, so there. Plus, having outted a military sniper/observation hide, I was sure they'd be watching me live by satellite at the CIA and were looking for an excuse to nuke me... not to mention having notified all law enforcement in seven states that a big guy on a weird bike was running the border alone. Thankfully, I'm not a paranoid person or I'd really be worried.

Hwy 9 stretches before me
P1010725-XL.jpg

I must say, that area is loaded with Border Patrol. On the highway, along the side roads, and further out, the observation balloons floating high in the sky.

I had assumed that Hwy 9 would be a long, flat boring stretch all the way to AZ, and even so, I had no desire to travel I-10. I was wrong. As the miles passed, the vistas were great - much like traveling in west Texas, but I dig that terrain. The road actually turned out to be a great ride. As I got further away from the city, there was no traffic, save for the occasional BP truck.

At points, the road runs fairly close to the border, and as I entered an area of washes and gullies, there appeared another observation camera post. It was in this general area that the observation balloons were watching as well, many miles back from the border. At one point you could see what appeared to be a fence along the border, but it also may have been a train track. Hard to tell.

P1010734-X2.jpg

P1010736-XL.jpg

Another interesting thing I saw were stacks of stones on the side of the road. They were stacked one on top of another as if signs, or on top of fence posts - but only in certain places. Didn't get a pic

I arrived at Columbus, home of the Pancho Villa Park and Museum, at what appeared to be an old fort. I toodled thru the town, had a long chat with 3 guys at the gas station about my bike, then zipped through the Pancho Villa Museum/Park parking lot but decided not to linger. Wish I'd had more time as the museum looked interesting.

The old hotel... Still reminds of that one I stayed in in Cody
P1010737-XL.jpg

Brian H, here's a fixer upper like you wanted me to find
P1010743-XL.jpg

P1010748-X2.jpg

P1010752-XL.jpg

P1010753-XL.jpg

Cool old tank
P1010751-X2.jpg

Roadside memorial on the way. One of many I saw. This one happened to be in a curve, but along barren stretches I saw simple wooden crosses against a fence - almost as if they knew someone had died somewhere on a piece of property. Made me wonder if they were for people who'd died trying to cross the desert.
P1010754-XL.jpg

P1020917_2-X2.jpg

After Columbus, I reached Hachita, where an old abandoned Catholic church sits in ruins. The old town has a lot of broken down adobe buildings and would be fun to photograph in detail.

P1010755-XL.jpg

P1010757-X2.jpg

P1010765-XL.jpg

P1010760-XL.jpg

P1010766-XL.jpg

P1010767-XL.jpg

Heading on toward Animas, the stretches of road were awesome, with huge areas of land visible between the mountains, and it reminded me of areas in Wyoming. At Vista, I swung off to see a sign informing that this was the continental divide. Vista was appropriately named, as from there you can see great distances. Loved it. I watched hawk after hawk sitting on cacti, watching me back. At one point a lone coyote trotted out in the road and watched me approach, doing a slow loop around me as I passed. To my left I saw a pool of water, which explained his boldness.

Crossing the continental divide
P1010770-X2.jpg

The colors of the rocks and mountains were getting redder as I moved towards AZ
P1010771-XL.jpg

Mountains in the distance - woohoo!
P1010776-XL.jpg

Approaching Animas, I dodged a couple of tumbleweeds as they tumbled straight down the road. Those suckers are big!

At Animas, I eventually gassed up at the "Boot Heel" store, eyed a 10 pack of home-made tortillas (which I didn't buy), and finally found a map of Arizona. I knew staying off I-10 it would be difficult to find maps, but truth be told it's difficult finding ANYTHING :D

A line for gas at the Boot Heel Store
P1010778-XL.jpg

P1010779-XL.jpg

While gearing up to leave, I heard a motorcycle horn and looked up to see a guy on a thumper heading east and giving a thumbs up. I gulped a bottle of water and headed on for Rodeo, New Mexico, or at least that's what I told the GPS. A little before Rodeo, there was the turn off to ride the forest service road over the Coronado Mountains and down to the Chiricahua National Monument area.

Them thar heels must be the Chiricahuas!
P1010780-X2.jpg

Going south on NM 80, I eventually found the Park sign and turned west to Portal, portal for the Chiricahua mountains and Coronado National Forest. The road led up into hills and trees filled with fall colors, and began to twist and turn as it entered the base of the mountains. I stopped at the Portal Store and Lodge to ask final directions before heading up.

P1010783-XL.jpg

This was a cool little place
P1010787-X2.jpg

The road led past fantastic rock formations, and slowly wound it's way up the canyon, the blacktop finally ending and the road becoming rougher as it climbed.

P1010788-X2.jpg

P1010789-XL.jpg

P1010790-XL.jpg

P1010791-XL.jpg

P1010792-X2.jpg

Signs warned of unmaintained roads and smuggling and illegal activity. The loaded GS purred it's way up the twists, getting just squirrelly enough in the gravel and rocks to keep my attention. As the road climbed, the views were fantastic. A large mulie ran down the road in front of me. I really enjoyed this part of the ride, but it was also hard to rubberneck at the scenery as I had to stay focused on the loose stuff. I'm guessing it was about 20 - 25 miles.

P1010796-X2.jpg

P1010798-XL.jpg

P1010800-X2.jpg

P1010801-XL.jpg

After climbing up and over, you drop down slowly on Pinery Road into the valley and eventually connect with the entry road into Chiricahua National Monument. The area was used by Geronimo as a hide, and the ride in brings views of stunning rock formations. I stopped at the main center and paid entry, as well as buying a detailed map of Arizona counties for tomorrow's ride. The lady working there was surprised I'd come over the mountain on the bike, but most folks assume you're on a Harley or such. My plan on leaving the park was to ride the Middlemarch Road over the mountain into Tombstone, but she said by the time I finished in the park and got over there it would be getting pretty late. Gauging time and distance here has been harder, since I'm geared for Texas speed limits, and factoring in 55 mph roads doesn't work for me.

P1010802-XL.jpg

P1010811-XL.jpg

Back in the empty parking lot, I decided to take a few minutes to rest, since I hadn't stopped all day, and while drinking a water, heard a grunt by my leg. I looked down and saw what I first thought to be a very large cat, and then realized it was not. It appeared to be a Coatamundi or ringtail or something, and It scared the heck out of me! He was big, weird looking and not what I'm used to seeing when I look down :D He then looked at my leg, then the back tire of the bike and turned to waddle off. By the time I got the camera out he was across the lot and when I chased after for a pic, he stopped and turned as if to say "Just try it you fool". Too funny...

P1010805-XL.jpg

The ride up into the park is shrouded in trees in a narrow valley, and occasionally you glimpse fantastic rock spires towering above. A road cut into the mountainside leads to the top, and offers fantastic views. At the top, I parked while a guy eyed my GS and poked his wife in the ribs. I walked down the path to a lookout area with an older couple and three other couples. Turns out they have a tradition of coming up to the park every year when they all gather for Thanksgiving. We yakked for a while and the guy who'd been checking out my bike started asking about it. It turns out he and his wife are the editors of a riding magazine called "Full Throttle" and he's been thinking of getting a GS.

P1010817-XL.jpg

The views from up top are great. There are hundreds of massive rocks standing like silent warriors in the trees. My pics are crappy and don't do justice to the scenes. The park is truly a beautiful place and shouldn't be missed if you're in the area. I wanted to stay and hike some, but the sun was beginning to get low and I knew it was a ways to Tombstone yet.

P1010819-XL.jpg

P1010820-XL.jpg

P1020920_2.jpg

P1020923_2-XL.jpg

P1020926-XL.jpg

P1020929_2-XL.jpg

I coasted down the mountain road, alternating from the warm sun to the cold of the blue shadows. Looking at the sun, I knew it was too late to ride Middlemarch Road over to Tombstone, and I was getting tired, so I headed south on 181 to connect with 191 South. One of the maps showed a cut through road from 191 over to Tombstone by way of Gleeson, an old ghost town.

P1010822-X2.jpg

P1010823-XL.jpg

P1010825-XL.jpg

P1010827-XL.jpg

P1010828-X2.jpg

The dirt road was wide and easy, with enough silt and gravel to keep life interesting, but nothing difficult. I rode west into the slowly setting sun, occasionally being engulfed in a cloud of white dust from the pickup or car heading the other way. Suddenly, ahead I saw a cat - either a lynx or bobcat (possibly cougar) run quickly across the road about 150 feet ahead. I suspect it was a lynx, as he was larger than a bobcat and stockier, but with the sun and dust I couldn't see him clearly enough to say which.

P1020934_2-XL.jpg

A great day of riding was ending, and as I rode for Tombstone with a cloud of dust behind and the sun setting ahead, I couldn't help but think, "How cool is this!"

More manana mi amigos

(The Route and altitude)
Columbus-XL.png

TombstoneAlt-XL.png

Last edited:
Great ride report, tinstar. Couldn't agree more about Kerrville, and I live here. After dark, watch the deer. Before dark, somebody's sweet granny is out to get you!

I camped and hiked in Chiricahua National Monument about 10 years back, and it was absolutely gorgeous. We were there in March and had a late snowstorm. All the ryolite columns were snow-capped and lovely. They do have coatis around there, and they can be quite bold.

This is a great report. Keep it coming. :popcorn:

If you guys think Kerrville is bad for Bluehairs, you ought to try Ft. Lauderdale. The scariest thing in the world is seeing knuckles on a steering wheel coming right at you.

Great report and photos! Looks like a blast. I see your speedo/odo works as well as the one on my BMW. :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone! I'm having a ball. Wish you were here :mrgreen:

Internet was so slow last night I had trouble getting online, and this afternoon I see there a few photo links messed up - I corrected them so now you get to see a truly exciting shot of the southbound end of a northbound Coati.

And Soozy, it was Big Bend and I was hoping you had forgotten :lol2:

Man oh man, do those roads bring back memories. I was stationed at Ft Huachuca 87-92 and loved getting out and just riding in those spaces. thanks for the pictures!

I've read the thread on ADVrider, you are talking about the guy on the KTM?

Man oh man, do those roads bring back memories. I was stationed at Ft Huachuca 87-92 and loved getting out and just riding in those spaces. thanks for the pictures!

I've read the thread on ADVrider, you are talking about the guy on the KTM?

Yeah Dave6253!

Aaaaah, beeyootiful morning out here! Yowza!

I didn't have much of a chance to explore Tombstone, as it was late when I arrived and after 2 days of 9 hrs on the bike I was pooped. Since I hadn't eaten since breakfast, my plan was hit a restaurant downtown, but instead I spent the evening trying to get online. GRRRRR. Stupid technology!

P1010832-X2.jpg

P1020938-2-XL.jpg

Instead, about 11pm, I dined at the "Vending Corral" restaurant. The meal was only $1.50 and came in a plastic bag with "Lay's Potato Chips" emblazoned on the side. I washed it down with a cup full of tap water. Mmmm.

P1010834-XL.jpg

So, with that in mind, I ate a big breakfast before heading for the boardwalk in Tombstone.

P1010833-XL.jpg

P1010835-X2.jpg

The tall, one-armed Texan cast a long shadow as he walked slowly down the deserted street towards the OK Corral.
P1010843-XL.jpg

Arriving about 8 am-ish, the old ghost town was a ghost town. Actually, it was fun wandering around with no one there. About 9-ish, a few locals began to arrive and set their tourist traps. I had a few conversations about the bike, and generally hung out with my cup of coffee from the OK Restaurant.

P1010837-XL.jpg

P1010838-XL.jpg

P1010849-XL.jpg

P1010851-L.jpg

P1010853-XL.jpg

P1010855-XL.jpg

P1010856-XL.jpg

I never realized cowboys had trinkets
P1010864-XL.jpg

The county courthouse... for all those landmen out there, and you know who you are :D
P1010858-L.jpg

I think we're both parallel
P1010863-XL.jpg

I didn't want to wait for the OK Corral to open. And that was OK.

I also have decided that Tombstone is the only place in the world where it's ok to wear a full length duster and not look like an idiot. (Besides Australia) SO... now you know where you can wear it at last! ( and I know half you guys reading this have them hanging in the back of your closet, afraid to wear it publicly)

The only other place I wanted to see was Boot Hill Cemetery, so I headed over, where a sweet little old lady strong-armed me out of a $2 donation - which I gladly payed - and for which I received a tour map of all the graves. It was fun reading about all the different folks and how they were violently killed or died. Actually, it was quite fascinating.

P1010875-XL.jpg

P1010867-XL.jpg

The Clanton gang's all here...
P1010868-L.jpg

Including daddy...
P1010869-XL.jpg

This one's for you Dan
P1010874-XL.jpg

The border road was calling my name, so I finally saddled up and rode out of town. Well, about 1/2 mile to the Circle K to gas up, and while there saw this:

P1010876-XL.jpg

P1010877-XL.jpg

Like Elvis and Michael Jackson, Wyatt is apparently alive and well and has much better taste in cars.

From Tombstone, I took Charleston road to Sierra Vista, which turned out to be a nice curvy road and fun to ride, that is until I got stuck behind Granpa Cooter driving 35 mph in an old Grand Marquis, belching gas fumes and oil smoke so strong I couldn't breathe. Finally I got past him and zipped on towards Sierra Vista and the mountains beyond.

I stopped to take a shot of the observation balloon overhead:

P1020941-XL.jpg

Meanwhile, Granpa Cooter passed me again and I was stuck behind him all the way into town. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Sierra Vista was a modern town, replete with Lowe's, Best Buy, yada yada and possibly Prada, so I topped off again for the remote border road down south. Jumped on 92 south to the turn off for Coronado National Memorial and the Coronado National Forest, then wound my way into the foothills. Once again, the crystal skies, cool temps and beautiful scenery could not have been finer.

P1010879-XL.jpg

P1010881-XL.jpg

I stopped at the Visitor Center to ask about the route, carefully checking the parking lot for Coatimundi's first, and the Ranger inside was very helpful. She said the route was rough and only a "dirt bike" could make it. Also said the Border Patrol usage had really roughed up the switchbacks, so to be extra careful on the washboard in the turns. She told me I'd pass the National Monument to Priest Blah-blah-blah, (sorry, I can't remember his name!), who was the first European to enter the area back in the 1500's. Let's just assume he was hangin' with Coronado since the forest is named after him. She said he was also the priest who told the King of Spain that there were indeed, 7 Golden Cities in America and launched the whole schmear. She said "I call him Friar Liar." Well, I can't remember his real name, but I did remember that :D

But enough of history. Once again, having checked for Coati's, I downed a bottle of water and took the silver foil quilted jacket liner - aka the Disco Sweat Sack - from my jacket as it was beginning to warm up already.

P1010882-XL.jpg

P1010884-XL.jpg

P1010885-XL.jpg

The Duquesne - Lochiel road is remote and follows the border of Mexico, very closely in some areas, for about 60 miles to Nogales. It is an area heavily used by smugglers and illegals. The Ranger told me it would take 2-3 hours at least to get to Nogales, depending on the road. I was pumped!

The pavement ended quickly and the switchbacks started almost immediately. They were indeed heavily washboarded and a little rough and rutted from wheel bounce. The road headed quickly up the side of the mountain. The ride up required concentration on the heavy GS, but the ride, road and views were awesome. I had shut off the ABS on the pig before heading up, and a good thing, as there was a lot of loose gravel and the drops were magnificently sudden. Not that it was super tricky, it's just that a 650 lb bike with semi-street tires likes to go it's own way in the loose stuff and there was enough of that on the hairpins to keep me awake and inspired.

P1010886-XL.jpg

P1010887-X2.jpg

Sorry I don't have more pics on the way up but I was busy

At the top, there is a fantastic view both to the east and to the west. I pulled in on the east side and got off the bike, admiring the view back, when I was accosted by a guy wanting to talk about the GS. If I could get a dollar for each time someone wants to talk, I could ride a lot more LOL. Anyway, he was older and had raced desert in California back in the day... we talked about Husky WR's and such. He eyed the GS again and wished me well on the trip.

Looking back to the east from whence I'd come
P1010889-X2.jpg

From there I wandered over to the west side and was blown away by the view. There is a vast valley heading down into Mexico, remote and empty, and the scale can't be caught in pictures. I was like "Wow", and thought "Man I'm about to head out into that!"

P1010890-X2.jpg

It was easy to see why the Border Patrol has their work cut out for them. It is huge and nothing but wilderness. Also interesting was the radar/optic/hoosamawhatsit rig they were scanning the valley with. It was pretty cool standing there and looking out over that scene.

P1010892-XL.jpg

Nogales was still about 50 - 60 miles away, so I headed down the rocky road following the switchbacks into the valley below. I was on the pegs all the way down, as it was pretty rough with a lot of loose rock, gravel and the ever present washboard and ruts. I wasn't able to get much in the way of pics until I got lower

P1010893-XL.jpg

P1010894-XL.jpg

I passed several BP trucks, and was passed by a couple as well. They are very, very active on that road, and honestly I was glad to see it. I had begun to notice that the dirt on the sides of the road was smooth as if it had been swept, and about the time I realized they were doing it purposely so they could see footprints, I came up behind a BP truck dragging a set of tires.

P1010895-X2.jpg

I followed slowly behind him until he noticed and pulled over a bit for me, and I waved as I passed.

Having descended the mountain, I rode up and down through the foothills on the narrow dirt road. Again, after a few miles I'd see another BP truck, and at one point I was showered in dust as a truck overtook me and passed at a good clip.

Taking a break to pull off another layer
P1010897-X2.jpg

P1010898-XL.jpg

The ever present eye in the sky
P1020942-2-XL.jpg

Eventually the terrain changed into vast rolling grassland, and the road got smoother and wider. It was truly inspiring to be riding in the huge valley, with no human activity or presence visible as far as the eye could see.

I was able to open up the big bike and haul in some stretches, and it felt so good after the tedious switchback areas.

P1010899-X2.jpg

P1010900-X2.jpg

This ride is one that will forever be in my memory. The air was cool and crisp, the sun brilliant, the sky as clear and deep blue as I've ever seen it, the wind blowing the golden grass in waves as I glided up and down the rolling road with dust behind me. I asked God to forever burn this moment into my being.

It was interesting, as there were some areas I went through that were exactly like the area of the Hill Country where I live. At one moment, when I was down in a draw, it was so weirdly the same that I would swear I was on an old ranch road near Leakey.

P1010901-XL.jpg

At some point, you enter private ranch land on the road, and it was interesting seeing a windmill or two, old cattle stations and the distant ranch house.

P1010903-XL.jpg

P1010904-XL.jpg

P1010905-XL.jpg

Slowly the road became smoother and more manicured, and I could tell I was re-entering a region less remote. I came down through the remains of Lochiel, and shortly thereafter, hit about a 100' section of asphalt, then immediately was back on dirt. I thought "That was weird! Wonder why?" Right after that, I blasted past the Liar Friar monument and did a quick U-ie.

The monument is a giant concrete cross and sitting area, overgrown and unmaintained. I stripped off my gear and relaxed a while, looking out over the rolling grassland and savoring the sound of the wind.

P1010909-XL.jpg

P1010912-X2.jpg

P1010915-L.jpg

In a bit, I heard the rumble of a diesel engine and a Border Patrol truck idled up, the window rolling down as he stopped. I walked over to the window and the agent said hello and commented on the bike. He introduced himself as Dirk, and we talked a while. He said he knew Kerrville well, as he had been born in San Angelo, and spent a summer or two at Mo Ranch before his parents moved to Alaska. I never cease to be amazed at what a small world it is.

P1010907-XL.jpg

In commenting on the number of BP trucks and activity, he said business was brisk due to two other areas being clamped down on, and thus the smuggling had picked up here tremendously. While we talked, I heard the radio chatter of "We've got two runners - they're definitely running..." and other snippets of conversation. Quite interesting to have a moment in his world.
He also pointed to the strip of asphalt I'd just wondered about, and said it was there to cover an archaeological site that was found directly in the current road. They simply buried it again and covered it with asphalt to protect it.

Dirk was more than happy to pose for a quick snapshot, and then was on his way.

P1010908-XL.jpg

That was my cue to head on as well. The road continued on through rolling hills, until reaching the base of the mountains again, at which point the road climbed steeply into sharp switchbacks and gravel as it cut the mountain edge.

P1010917-X2.jpg

P1010918-XL.jpg

P1010919-XL.jpg

Ahead in the trees, I caught a glint, and was wondering what it was when suddenly a pickup came barreling out of a side road and stopped dead in front of me. I locked up and slid to a stop, then rolled back down a ways. The truck had two Marines in it, and they maneuvered around until passing me, with a second truck doing the same, but this one being law enforcement. If I hadn't seen that little glint, I'd have been creamed by the truck in the switchback.

Up and over the top, I slowly wound down into a valley again.

P1010920-XL.jpg

P1010921-X2.jpg

P1010922-XL.jpg

At the base, I began to hit grey silty areas on the road. For those of you who ride GS's you know how they like to take a dive when silt or sand comes along. I started to get a little antsy, especially at times when the sun is behind you and the flat light makes it impossible to read the surface.

The silt was getting deeper and sure enough, I rounded a corner to find two BP trucks stopped for a chat in the middle of the road. The only area I could get past was on the side where the soft stuff was and as I went past, the silt was deep and I did my best imitation of the guy riding the giant sand worms in Dune. I didn't go down, but I'm sure the agents in the trucks were highly entertained watching me.

The road smoothed out and eventually became asphalt again, leading up to Hwy 82 south for Nogales. I was getting hungry, and Mexican food in Nogales seemed appropriate. It wasn't far into town, but as I got into the congested downtown area, I decided I wasn't hungry any longer. I rode through a couple of neighborhoods built on the hills, then looped back out of town.

P1010923-XL.jpg

This Friar was not a liar - they have a large memorial to him - Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino. As the plaque says, "Founder of Missions, Man of God, Pioneer, Explorer, Astronomer, Rancher, Teacher, Cartographer, 1645-1711"
P1010925-XL.jpg

I had planned on continuing my ride on west, taking Ruby road across to Arivaca, but the sun was low enough to remind me that the days aren't lasting as long as I think, so I decided not to push it.

Instead I headed northeast on 82 for Patagonia. Sounded like an interesting place and it turned out to be just that. Kind of an artsy community and sleepy little town. They had a great coffee shop and I enjoyed a quick lunch and downloading pics. It was nice not pushing for a change.

P1010933-XL.jpg

The plan was to check in the hotel early, get a hot shower, relax and do the ride report. I parked in front of the old hotel, got my stuff off, drug it into the lobby and waited for the clerk to return. Twenty minutes later, still no clerk. I went next door and a guy in a black cowboy outfit walked out of a large old bank vault and asked me what I wanted. Told him I was looking to check in to the hotel, but no one was there. He suggested I go down the street a little to the bar and relax until Judy the owner showed up again.

Instead, I wandered the main street a while, enjoying the sunset and air, and eventually saw an older woman head into the bar. Sure enough it was the hotel owner/bartender, and an hour later I finally got a room :D So much for an early day LOL.

P1010935-XL.jpg

Still not sure which roads I will ride tomorrow. I plan to continue the west route of the road I was on today, which is called Ruby Road and goes to Arivaca. However, I have been warned by three folks now, that the road to Arivaca is dangerous and I had better "go heavily armed," as there have been "bandits" operating on that road. Gotta check the alternate routes and see...

Today's ride was fantastic. One of the best roads I've ridden, simply by the variety of terrain encountered, the incredible weather and the circumstances surrounding it.

If you're in that area, it's a great ride and perfect for a GS if you have decent skills.

More tomorow amigos!

(The Route and altitude)
Duquesne%20Rd-XL.png

NogalesAlt-XL.png

Last edited:
"Suddenly, ahead I saw a cat - either a manx or bobcat (possibly cougar) run quickly across the road about 150 feet ahead. I suspect it was a manx, as he was larger than a bobcat and stockier, but with the sun and dust I couldn't see him clearly enough to say which."

Do you mean a lynx? A Manx is a kind of a housecat. That is pretty far south for a lynx.

Great report. Keep it going.

"Suddenly, ahead I saw a cat - either a manx or bobcat (possibly cougar) run quickly across the road about 150 feet ahead. I suspect it was a manx, as he was larger than a bobcat and stockier, but with the sun and dust I couldn't see him clearly enough to say which."

Do you mean a lynx? A Manx is a kind of a housecat. That is pretty far south for a lynx.

Great report. Keep it going.

Yes, I meant a lynx :rofl:

He was built thicker than the bobcats I've seen in Texas but maybe they're bigger in AZ... and I thought everything was bigger in Texas

A lot of times apparent body size of critters depends on climate, which depends on altitude. Plus, he may just have been a linebacker bobcat. There's big 'uns and little 'uns just like with people.

Regargdless, I'm really enjoying the ride report. Have fun!

Back