• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston 2010 Ride

Reaction score
So I realized that I had only gathered approx. 9000 miles on the Ghost last year. Thus, after I worked New Years Day it was time to start the new year right with a ride. Simply pointed the bike in a direction, no real plan, gather a few miles. So, off I went on January 2:

After making the required morning stop....

IMAGE_391.jpg

... I then paused at the site where the old fire station once stood.....

IMG_1237.jpg

....and where the highest elevation in Bellaire is currently located.

IMAGE_390.jpg

Rendering of the new fire station, to be completed in November.

Rendering.jpg

I then continued my journey and found myself onto South Braeswood Drive. For those that know Houston, having a dual-sport here does have its virtues:

IMAGE_393.jpg

But the ride into the Texas Medical Center on Main street is nice.

IMAGE_395.jpg

Whadya think? Good 4-wheel alternative to the F650?

IMAGE_392.jpg

For those not in the know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High_Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

Now you know ;-)

Moving right along into the Texas Medical Center, I revisited a spot where one of the Photo Assignment images was taken before:

IMAGE_397.jpg

The Gus S. and Lyndall F. Wortham Park Fountain. This fountain in the Medical Center is a popular landmark and park. It was designed by John Burgee Architects in 1991. It is located on the corner on South Main Street and Holcombe Boulevard.

IMAGE_398.jpg

I could not resist this:

IMAGE_399.jpg

:mrgreen:

At the MD Anderson Cancer Institute, off Bertner Drive:

IMAGE_404.jpg

Looks like Santa's shop is open year-round here, next to the Texas Children's Hospital:

IMAGE_405.jpg

Opposite Hermann Park Zoo:

IMAGE_406.jpg

Hermann Park Reflection Pond....

IMAGE_408.jpg

....from the Sam Houston Statue in the middle of Hermann Loop Drive

IMAGE_409.jpg

Mecom Fountain at South Main Street Circle

IMAGE_410.jpg

Montrose Street Bridges over US 59

IMAGE_411.jpg

Downtown skyline from Memorial Drive at Buffalo Bayou Park

IMAGE_413.jpg

Wortham Memorial Fountain in Buffalo Bayou Park at Allen Parkway and Waugh.

IMAGE_414.jpg

From there I hopped onto IH 45 north, towards home in Conroe. 'Twas a nice 2 hour tour through Houston, and since it was Saturday traffic was minimal. Very nice.

Home Sweet Home

IMAGE_415.jpg

BTW Photos were taken with HTC Ozone phone camera. Not bad, considering it is only 2 MP :-D

Very nice ride!

Can't wait to watch the new fire station as it gets built. Hard to believe that the building in the drawing is going to fit into that space !

Peter, only you could drive into mid and downtown and make it seem like a fun adventure....ha, ha. I have a picture of my old bike in front of a couple of those places if memory serves me.

Husband gave me the new HTC Eris for Christmas (he works for Verizon) and I am loving it.

Hope the New Year brings you good health and good fortune...

Georgia

Back