• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Escape the blizzard to Big Bend

ed29

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
Due to working a lot of extra hours over super bowl weekend I was able to take off half a day Thursday and all of Friday without burning a vacation day. A last minute trip to Big Bend shaped up. It was going to be a solo trip, but on Thursday morning, with snow already on the ground and falling fast, my neighbor Brian came by with a proposition. Hook my trailer to his Jeep and let him come along. Okay... Deal.

Here is what the yard looked like three hours before I could get away...

IMG_0433.jpg

I rolled the trailer into the street and loaded up my KLR and my new to me WRR.

IMG_0437.jpg

Having an hour to kill before Brian could go, I played in the snow for a bit.

IMG_0438.jpg

The dog thought I was nuts. He is probably right!

We made our way west, and as we went the roads got worse. West of Weatherford the slush in the road changed to ice. In a construction zone all movement ceased.

IMG_0442.jpg

That is ice in the road and on the hood. Not much for those used to it, but in this part of Texas stuff like this is rare, and driver's skill in dealing with it is about what you expect to see in those that don't see ice and snow often. Buck was pretty patient about the half hour of sitting still.

IMG_0440.jpg

We finally get going again, and the weather persists past Abilene.

IMG_0443.jpg

At that point I just put the camera away. we had already been on the road for five hours and had not covered 200 miles.

Friday morning dawned cool and clear in the desert. An 11:30pm arrival and some winding down bourbon did not make me miss the sunrise. Brian and I stayed at Randy's place, Cedar Springs Ranch.

IMG_0449.jpg

Ahhhhh.... sunrise in the desert. Time to shake off the stress.

IMG_0452.jpg

Our Friday loop had us visiting with Paul and Voni at their place, then a run to Kathy's for some delicious lunch. The only good food there at lunch time is basically anything on the menu. That is true of breakfast too by the way. Heading up to the ghost town we had a short visit with Roger. It is always nice to visit with that guy.

At some point I remembered that I had a camera with me.

IMG_0454.jpg

Brian had been to Big bend in the Jeep before, but this was his first time here on a bike. He had no trouble getting used to my KLR. We stopped at one of my favorite overlooks.

IMG_0456.jpg

Randy scooted around on his DR200

IMG_0457.jpg

And of course I was on the WR250R.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Miles later we made our way back to Cedar Springs for happy hour at the fire ring. No pics... must not have happened!

Saturday was spent riding and hiking canyons. After plowing the sand in the bottom of Rotten Draw we hiked into Rotten Canyon. Terrible place... nobody should go there!

IMG_0463.jpg

There was cat scat and tracks in the sand. Not your house cat sized scat or track, these were mountain lion sign. A few years ago a couple of hunters spotted a big cat near here, and followed it into this cave.

IMG_0466.jpg

Not smart. At least they had the sense not to fire a rifle inside of the cave. The concussion might have brought the roof down on them. Cat and hunters all escaped the encounter alive and well.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Head 'em up.... Move 'em out!

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Along the way we jumped up a herd of Mule Deer. There were no monster bucks in it, only juveniles. We counted 22 deer, and may have been short as they were moving about. The herd was not too spooked by us on the bikes, but when a pickup showed up down the road they high tailed it out of there.

IMG_0478.jpg

Next stop is known as Bee Canyon. It is also known as Tee Canyon as it is shaped like a T when seen from the air.

IMG_0485.jpg

While standing at the edge I held the camera out and pointed it straight down.

IMG_0491.jpg

It is a few hundred feet to the bottom.

Next stop was Schueler Canyon.

IMG_0495.jpg

There is a spring at the bottom of the canyon, so water is always present. The rains from the storm a few days before muddied it up a bit.

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Right across the canyon is an old tank and windmill tower on the famous O-2 Ranch

IMG_0501.jpg

Our last stop of the day was at the springs....

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

First motorcycle trip here.... but not his last!

IMG_0528.jpg

Randy tried out the WR... He liked it... That is all I will say!

IMG_0532.jpg

Buck had a good trip too, but he will have to write his own trip report.

IMG_0534.jpg

The following shots were provided by Brian, reddogbmw...

DSCF2089.jpg

DSCF2090.jpg

DSCF2093.jpg

DSCF2095.jpg

DSCF2096.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

DSCF2101.jpg

DSCF2103.jpg

DSCF2110.jpg

DSCF2112.jpg

DSCF2117.jpg

DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF2132.jpg

DSCF2154.jpg

Man, I came so close to heading out there this past weekend,....had Friday and Monday off. With all the snow on the roads Friday morning I backed out. Also was not sure if I could have gotten the trailer out from under all the snow. I should have gone for it, your pictures are great.

Don

Ed and Brian... just got in from the ranch. Glad you guys had fun. It was a pleasure having you up at the ranch. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. I wish I hadn't ridden your bike Ed.

Randy

Back