• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Rib Too Far

kjolly

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jolly
A Rib Too Far

IMG_0136.jpg

So, headed out early Saturday morning to do a BBQ run to 5 classic Central Texas BBQ joints. Central Texas BBQ is unique - even in Texas. This area of Texas (roughly Austin to Giddings, to Schulenberg, to Luling) was settled by Bohemians, Moravians, and Czechs, and they brought their traditions of smoking and curing meats. The BBQ in this area could be thought of as Market BBQ - as these places (for the most part) grew out of city Meat Markets. They would smoke the less desirable cuts of meat and sell the smoked meat out of the back of the market. Places like Smitty’s, City Market in Luling, Prause’s in La Grange, and City Market in Giddings are direct descendants of those places. The other thing important (to me), is that these places make their own sausage. This is a Beef and pork sausage - not heavily spiced (salt, pepper, and red pepper) - and each place’s sausage is unique.

Anyhow, headed out early Saturday morning - to run to Gonzales - about 70 miles south - to try Gonzales Market’s sausage.

stevo_4.jpg

Gonzales Market - a nice looking place, just off the square in Gonzales. This is Steve, playing Monkey for the day.

IMG_0137.jpg

The sausage was amazing, coarse grind, mostly beef, salt pepper, red pepper, and smoked perfectly. The smell got to me before I remembered to take a picture - so this almost didn’t happen.

IMG_0139.jpg

We left out of Gonzales and took a couple of little county roads north about twenty miles to Luling. The road ran along the San Marcos river, well maintained caliche until the end where it was washboard for the last mile or so - but not bad.

stevo_5

Luling Market.

IMG_0142.jpg

This is probably the best overall Central Texas BBQ around - everything is good and more important, consistently good.

stevo_1

Through those doors is the pit room, where they cut your meat and ask if you want bread or crackers (which in years past was all you got in the way of sides).

IMG_0145.jpg

And a perfect breakfast II (it was only 9:45, so it could hardly be lunch yet). Moist brisket, sausage, and a rib. No sauce, no forks - fingers and meat. The sausage at Luling is excellent - more pork, less red pepper - brisket was like butter, rib was perfectly cooked - everything is cooked over oak.

Luling is an oil town, There’s over 200 working pump jacks in the city today. This one across the road from City Market behind Luling BBQ was pumping away (though you can't tell from the picture)

IMG_0144.jpg

We left out of Luling headed to Lockhart, up county roads again. And another pump jack just as we left town

stevo_2.jpg

Lockhart has 3 joints that a lot of people consider in the top 10 in Texas BBQ - Smitty’s, Kreuz, and Black’s. Our first stop of the day was Smitty’s - which I would put in my top 5.

It’s right downtown as well, just a block from the courthouse.

IMG_0148.jpg

The sign says all that needs to be said

IMG_0151.jpg

Passing through this door is like walking into a church, the nave is dark, and quiet, and filled with smoke.

IMG_0152.jpg

And there at the end are the oak fires, and pits full of meat, and the cutters swinging knives on the cutting block.

IMG_0154.jpg

And it’s another pile of well-smoked meat. I got a hunk of shoulder clod here along with the brisket (that’s the meat on top of the pile). It’s leaner than brisket, harder to cook without drying out - but Smitty’s does a great job with it. Everything was good. There's a little sauce, or glaze on the ribs at Smitty's which I don't think they need - but they're good.

IMG_0155.jpg

Now, one of the problems with this little trip was hitting 3 joints in Lockhart. The town’s not all that big, and they’re just a few blocks apart, so there wasn’t much time to digest. Steve was fading fast - but I was determined to trooper on.

So, next stop was Black’s.

stevo_7.jpg

Black’s is much more of a BBQ restaurant type of place nowadays, even though it’s been open since the 30’s. I’ve always thought it was off and on, but worth another shot before I crossed it off my list.

IMG_0158.jpg

Well, the sausage was pretty good, but the brisket was greasy and the char tasted of tar - like they’d had a pit fire. The rib was just terrible - undercooked, tough - no flavor. That's strike three for them with me - they’re going off the list I guess. And I was fading as well, and frankly not looking forward to Kreuz like I should - but onward and outward.

IMG_0161.jpg

Kreuz. Now the deal here is that Smitty’s used to be Kreuz’s. The father died and left the building to a daughter and the business to a son - and they couldn't get together on how to run it - so the brother went a few blocks away and build this BBQ palace, and the sister re-opened in the old place as Smitty’s.

I got say I don’t care for this place - too loud - to bright - not nearly enough smoke - it’s like a tourist version of a BBQ joint - much more Bill Miller than City Market.

stevo_3.jpg

But, what the ****. Brisket, sausage, pork rib and beef rib. The ribs were both good - the beef ribs is like brisket on a stick and when it’s done well it’s amazing. The pork rib was good, more black pepper than I care for - but well cooked. The sausage was nasty. It’s clearly machine made, fine grind - like that brown cr*p in the grocery store. The brisket was so tough I couldn’t tear it with my fingers. The sad thing was Kreuz had the largest crowd of the day - there were probably 300 people in line when we left - I think the volume is just ahead of what you can do and turn out good Central Texas BBQ.

But - really, it’s probably a good thing the brisket and ribs weren't up to snuff - no way I could have finished another ounce of meat - so back on the road to jet back to Austin ("jet" in the sense that the Ural - much like me after all that BBQ - jets gases into the atmosphere).

stevo_6.jpg

The good thing in making the BBQ stretch is getting to compare all five places at once. Here's what I think of these joints:
  • City Market - Luling - still my #1 all around - everything was excellent
  • Gonzales Market - Gonzales - that sausage was amazing, its easily hundred mile sausage for me. Gotta go back and try the brisket and ribs - but the sausage is worth the trip.
  • Smitty's - Lockhart - Good, sometimes great, they're pretty consistent and you can't beat the ambiance
  • Kreuz - Lockhart - Inconsistent - I think they suffer from a problem with volume - and it's like eating in a bus station
  • Black's - Lockhart - Sorry, I'm taking Black's off my list - this is my third disappointing visit

Gorgeous day, nice riding, and BBQ - can't ask for more - and at the end of the day I was definitely no mas, por favor.

The main thing I learned from this trip is that 5 joints is definitely a rib to far.

Kevo

Nice report. I've always stopped at Blacks and nobody else. I may have to venture my way out there again and try the other BBQ joints.

Ate at the City Market once in Luling and several times at the one in Houston on Richmond St. several times. The best barbeque sauce ever. It may have changed since this was about 15 years ago.

A Rib to far. Lol

how about

From Brisket to Eternity

What a brilliant idea! Sort of like a pub crawl. Only longer, more scenic, and more filling. :eat:

There's a small group of us going to Snow's BBQ in Lexington. Texas Monthly says this is the best BBQ in the state. They're only open on Sat from 8:00 am till the meat sells out - normally before noon.

We're planning to hit this one at about 9:00 am on March 27 so hopefully we'll have a good choice of meats to eat for breakfast. Feel free to meet us there to see if those guys from TX monthly got it right (sometimes they don't).

More about this ride here.

Kevin, thanks for the report. I think it was great, lot's of pictures, text short and to the point!

As far as your eating capacity.... well that is something else! :clap:

Camilo

Kevin...you need a disclaimer...

No vegatables were even remotely looked at during the eating of the Q. :clap::eat:

Ever been to the Zion Missionary Baptist Church here in Huntsville? It's been a while since I last had any of their meat, but their ribs were killer! :drool:

I agree totally on the Lockhart joints,pass them right by unless you want sausage.
Luling is one of the best kept secrets on Central Texas BBQ. The other place in Luling is good also and open on Sundays.
A long Sat BBQ tour would be a great idea for a RTE. Seperate the men from the boys and see who is the real BBQ king.
I will drive the chase vehicle and police up the carnage after the 3rd stop.

Ate at Hard 8 in Brady a few weeks back. Wonderful barbecue! They're smart there. You walk by the grill where you order and they cut it right there. The smell is marvelous.

Another thumbs up for Luling City Market! Stopped there on Monday as I was heading from Wimberley back to Houston - great food!

I think I'll be eating there for lunch on this Friday. Is there a meat they're really known for?

Probably best known for their brisket - but if I had to pick one - I'd get ribs - but really it's hard to pick - I usually get 1/4 lb moist brisket, 1 rib, and 1 link of regular sausage - and one slice of bread (no sides). I usually have some sausage and maybe 1/2 slice of brisket left - take that for later.

I'm jealous -

Kevo

Back