• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

March 27,2010 - Snows BBQ, Lexington, McDade, Smithville

Reaction score
I met a group of Dualsport riders in Lexington TX at 9 am to try a little BBQ for breakfast at place called SNOWS. Snows apparently received a favorable write-up in Texas Monthly for 'the best BBQ in Texas'. They open early in the morning and remain open only until the BBQ runs out, which I was told is typically before noon, hence the early chow time for this ride.

For me to get to Lexington, via a somewhat interesting route, I had to be on the road by 7:30, which is sunrise CSDT.

SAW THIS SIGN ON FM 112 ENROUTE TO LEXINGTON. REMINDED ME OF AN OLD CONWAY TWITTY SONG... MADE ME LAUGH.
IMG_1650.jpg

As for the BBQ... I enjoyed it. Didn't kill me or make me sick, and tasted pretty darn good. Prices were reasonable and the folks were friendly.

SNOWS BBQ IN LEXINGTON TX. GOTTA COME EARLY, WHILE THE GETT'IN IS GOOD, OR NO BBQ FOR YOU!
IMG_1655.jpg

LOTS OF MOTORCYCLISTS AT SNOWS. BIKES OF ALL TYPES WERE PARKED EVERYWHERE.
IMG_1652.jpg

A LITTLE POST BBQ DISCUSSION ABOUT WHERE TO RIDE.
IMG_1653.jpg

Most of the riders I met up with were from areas outside central Texas. The DFW area seemed to be where most were from. Two riders trailered a pre-08 KLR and an XLR down to Giddings, while others camped in Lexington.

After our BBQ breakfast, we rode as a group 18 miles south to Giddings so the XLR rider could get his bike. This gentlemen was to be our guide for this ride. From Giddings we rolled west on 290 to McDade, which is nearly as far as Elgin on 290. From McDade we finally got to ride some paved and unpaved county roads in the countryside northwest of McDade. Pretty country there.

LOTS OF WHITE PAINTED CHURCHES IN AREA. WE STOPPED HERE TO ENJOY THE VIEW.
IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

Our guide used to live in this area, a couple of decades ago, but his sense of direction had us going in circles at one point.

WE PASSED THIS CHURCH TWICE. I DIDN'T MIND.
THE FLOWERS (INDIAN PAINT BRUSHES) WERE QUITE COLORFUL.
IMG_1661.jpg

A RIDER FROM OUR GROUP GETTING A CLOSER LOOK.
IMG_1664.jpg

A KLR COLOR COORDINATED WITH THE INDIAN PAINT BRUSHES. (HE'S ON A GRAVEL DRIVE)
IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

After passing some of the same scenery twice, the decision was made to leave the area and head south to Smithville where we would partake in a fish fry at a TWT members' home.
There was also a tech day in progress at the fish fry. Some doohickey replacement and chain tightening... that sort of thing.

THIS TWT MEMBER HAS SEVERAL BIKES AND SOME NICE FACILITIES FOR WORKING ON BIKES, NOT TO MENTION A WHOLE LOT OF FISH HE JUST HAD TO GET RID OF SO HE'D HAVE AN EXCUSE TO GO CATCH SOME MORE.
WE WERE PLEASED TO OBLIGE... AND I THANK OUR HOST. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
IMG_1668.jpg

MOST OF THE BIKES WERE GONE BY THE TIME I TOOK ANY PICTURES. THIS AREA WAS HANDLE BAR TO HANDLE BAR WITH BIKES EARLIER IN THE DAY.
IMG_1667.jpg

From Smithville most riders went their own way. I headed northeast on FM 2104 and rode Gotier trace road the backway into Bastrop State Park, to park road 1C. There were lots of people enjoying the mild weather at the small lake in Bastrop State Park. There was also some ARMY training going on. I saw numerous pairs of soldiers in fatigues trying to navigate their way through the trails in the park.

THE SMALL LAKE AT BASTROP STATE PARK.
FYI: THIS IS THE LAKE USED IN THE MOVIE "HOPE FLOATS" IN THE SCENE WHERE THE CHARACTERS WERE FISHING IN A SMALL BOAT.
IMG_1670-1.jpg

IMG_1672-1.jpg

From Bastrop I rode Old Sayers road to Elgin, and then back to Austin from there.

It was a pleasure to meet some new riders, and to meet again, riders from previous rides. I hope everyone got home safe so we can go ride again sometime... Adios.

Good Report and nice photos. Enjoyed meeting you and riding with you that day. As far as I can tell the best reason to live in Austin is its location in the middle of the hill country. Its beautiful in the entire area. :sun:

Back