• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico Off-Road: The Cloudcroft Recon

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
852408909_mNchH-O.jpg

851600706_53oxb-L.jpg

Phone: rrrrrriiiiinnnnnngggggg

Me: Hello?

Richard: Hey Bob, want to ride New Mexico this weekend?

Me: This weekend? It's already Wednesday.

Richard: Yeah I know

Me: I'm in.

**click**

Me: Hi John, want to ride New Mexico this weekend?

John: This weekend? It's already Wednesday.

Me: Yeah I know

John: I'm in.

**click**

852321765_LfiJA-XL.jpg

1 - XR 650
1 - DRZ 400
1 - KLR 650

Recon of New Mexico's Lincoln National Forest in the Sacramento Mountains.

Sunday, April 25th - Thursday April 29th

Austin - San Antonio - El Paso - Alamogordo - Cloudcroft

3 Amigos. No schedule. A bit of a plan.

This is how it went...

**click**
**click**

Excellent!

Richard's Italian Supermodel didn't get to play??

The Little Blue Cooler...

There on the back of the trailer.

Anybody guess what we stocked in that thing?

Rich had a plan for the cooler:

852321530_LNs9w-L.jpg

So innocently waiting on the trailer with the bikes...

852321580_Mobhe-L.jpg

The SPOT Tracker

The collection of SPOT pings from the trip. That's the total collection from a SPOT II, which was activated for each of the three riding days. A more detaled explanation of each's days route path is coming.

You can see White Sands Missle Range and Holloman Air Force Base off to the left.

Note: The "new" SPOT II worked flawlessly. It had been sent back to the factory per their recall for battery issues. No battery issues and the thing worked fine.

852528558_3FELc-O.jpg

The Trinity Nuclear Test

Interesting video to see before you head out to Alamogordo/Cloudcroft for your own ride.

You can get to the actual Trinity test site, but it's only open to the public twice a year.

The Manhattan Project

Campsite Nuclear Reactor

Out at White Sands they sell these nifty (but expensive) portable, nuclear-powered water heaters. I'm praying it doesn't explode.

851841728_KCn9W-L.jpg

Yes please, we need more of this story. Or are you going to drag it out like the good doctor Milton? But at least we found out why the Italian Stallion wasn't on the trip.
Robert

Well, we now know that Richard has a hot new camera so I bet he took a lot of good pictures. So hopefully tomorrow morning we'll all know more about this saga. Some nice teaser photos already in the other post about his new camera.
Us working stiffs have to live through these stories sometimes. And we all know that all three of you are good writers so this ought to be a really good story. Now we just gotta wait for it! Guess I better go home and get a good bottle out.
BTW Richard, that new camera looks neat. I've been looking to upgrade but haven't been able to talk myself into a big DSLR that I would probably leave home too much. But this one looks and sounds really good.
Robert

Full Disclosure

Richard dumped his camera card to Smugmug and so did I. He took more photos than I did, and I took a lot. So did John. Rich turned over the keys to his Smugmug account on this trip to me and I'm the writer, with Rich and John piping in as they see fit.

Let me also say this. I've always wanted to explore this part of New Mexico. So has John and so has Rich. We found what we went looking for, in spades, and there is more there.

And this was just one tiny bite of a big state. We came within a wisper of heading over to Silver City to explore that area as well. That's next.

Oh, and here's one thing I really didn't prepare for on this trip:

852325540_y52C4-L.jpg

BTW Richard, that new camera looks neat. I've been looking to upgrade but haven't been able to talk myself into a big DSLR that I would probably leave home too much. But this one looks and sounds really good.
Robert

Robert,

As noted in the camera thread, this trip was the first test of the G11. Overall I am very pleased with the G11 and the images I got from it. It is a nice step up from a typical point and shoot in terms of capabilities and image quality without the size and bulk of a dlsr.

Oooh good choice on a moto camera. The wife has a G9 and it makes me too lazy to carry the DSLR. Not to mention it's much easier to strap onto the Camelback strap and get to in a hurry.

Looking forward to the RR once Trice gets through with the prelude. :lol2: :giveup:

**click**

**click**

1 - XR 650
1 - DRZ 400
1 - KLR 650

Recon of New Mexico's Lincoln National Forest in the Sacramento Mountains.

Sunday, April 25th - Thursday April 29th

Austin - San Antonio - El Paso - Alamogordo - Cloudcroft

3 Amigos. No schedule. A bit of a plan.

This is how it went...

You left out the other call that went like this:

Me: Hi Rusty, when do you start your new job? Because I'm going to New Mexico this weekend.

Rusty: I start on Monday, why didn't you plan this sooner?

Me: It just came up, but send me some routes ideas and I'll tell you all about the fun we had...

Rusty: Okay, I'll get right on it.

**click**

And then I delayed a day and had to email them to Tricepilot while they were on the road. :doh:

Back