• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston Bike Show 11/12/05

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McKendry
Re: Houston Cycle Show Nov 11-13th

I'm back home. Managed to survive my trip south of the border (the Montgomery/Harris county line) without getting in a wreck. What a mess.
I didn't even make it to the show. Got turned around in traffic, missed the exit..I think. Never even saw the Reliant center so I obviously made a wrong turn. Had to go #1 so bad that I was about to go berserk and by the time I got out of the traffic and found a place to stop I was on 290 heading west. So I drove 300 miles over a 5 hour period for nutt'n! Got rained on twice so I'm glad I caged it. I was gonna ride the Magna but opted out as I was getting ready to leave. Probably the best decision I made all day.

So those of you that made it, how was the show?

Since no one else from Austin was riding down, I asked my family if they wanted to go. Rhonda wrinkled her nose at the thought of spending more than 10 minutes looking at motorcycle stuff, and Leigh took me up on it as she was grounded and had nothing better to do. Since I bought a new cage yesterday, I thought we might take it instead.

We left at 0700 and arrived at 10:00. Where do they find all the enthusiastic Reliant employees to work the parking lot? We walked in and found that the "D" hall was all there was. Really kind of a let down in a way. I just expected more than a half full center. We saw the Monster Energy Drink show and thought it was pretty cool. Hit all the vendors, saw all the bikes and wondered what to do for the next hour until the TWT's showed up. We decided to eat the worlds most expennsive BBQ sandwich. Almost immediately Leigh felt ill and within 30 minutes was really sick, so we had to leave without seeing anyone.

Squeaky called me about Brenham to ask if I was there and I got to tell the sad story to her. A brief visit with a DPS Trooper in Jonah just made the day complete. At least I just got a warning. Who knew they could run radar while moving and shoot backwards? :shrug:

On to the bikes. The first must see bike was the new FZ1. I hate the seat, the tank is wider but other wise I love what they have done. The ZX14 was just as ugly in person as it is in print. And just as uncomfortable as it looks. The new Ninja 650 should give the SV650 fits. It has the ergos of the naked SV and the wind protection of the "S" all in a very cool looking package.

Honda made changes to the V-Tech in the VFR. :rofl:

I did like some of the new Harleys as well. The new Street Bob was sweet looking and I'd love to give the V-Rod dragster a whirl. The Star line up (formerly known as Yamaha) was fun to antagonize as well. No one could tell me what improvements justified a $2,000 bump in price.

Although Triumph wasn't formally there, one of the area dealerships was. While they don't have the new harware, I finally got to see a new Speed Triple in person. It wasn't what I expected and it dropped several points on the lust list. Likewise the Buell Ulysses and the XB12Ss.

All in all, there wasn't a single bike there that I viewed as having anything over and above my FZ1 to warrant a change. It was a great way to kill a couple of hours, but I won't ever feel like I missed a major event in the future. It would have been much more worthwhile if I had gotten to stick around long enough to see everyone.

The new Ninja 650 should give the SV650 fits. It has the ergos of the naked SV and the wind protection of the "S" all in a very cool looking package

I wasn't real impressed with the 650. Yeah the bars are higher than the SV650S, but not that much higher than my hawk bars, but more comfy I'll admit. But, the seating position was just as cramped and the seat felt just as hard. Seat might be a little wider, but it didn't feel that comfy. I've got a double bubble screen on my SV, but I believe that Ninja's fairing would offer better wind protection. That part of it impressed me.

Just looking at it, I don't think the SV has a thing to worry about on the race track. Yes, it will be a good street bike, but if I had it, I'd probably be looking at aftermarket seats. It just didn't get me giddy, I guess, not that I would trade my SV for it. The SV's chassis is much cleaner looking IMHO and probably a lot stronger. Those SV frames are solid!

The bike that DID impress me was the Buell Ulysses. That thing is a lot larger than the other Buells, has a NICE seat, sits tall, looks comfy, is relatively light at 430 or something lbs, and has bags available. I WANT A TEST RIDE! However, the price tag is something under 12K and I don't know if it's that much more motorcycle than a Vstrom 650 considering the price difference. They're both about the same weight. The Buell has a lot more torque and a bit more horsepower, but that's a lot of money there. Then again, if I get an adventure tourer sometime anywhere near the near future, it'd probably be a $5200 KLR650. I REALLY like the looks of that Buell, though.

Last edited:

I got to go to the show yesterday (Friday) after my meetings earlier in the day, and by total chance I met a TWT member 'fastraveler' as we were both looking over the '06 ST1300. I think the new 'paddle shift' FJR might be interesting to demo, but I still can't get over the fact that it looks like it's missing parts (namely a clutch lever). I don't know how Saturday was, but Friday was great. It wasn't crowded, there was no wait to get on any bike and I easily got a front row spot at the stunt show.

Since I'm very happy with my Trophy, my thoughts have been turning more and more to something that doesn't always want to stay on the pavement. I really liked the Aprilia Caponord, which I had never seen before. I also liked the BMW R1200GS and the F650GS Dakar, and found the Honda XR650L surprisingly comfortable for a dual sport. Luckily I am saved from having to decide between an "adventure bike" and a "dual sport" bike by a lack of funds and garage space.

All in all, a great way to spend an afternoon...

As always, it was great seeing the TWTex group. Although I cannot make the group ride tomorrow, just seeing my riding buddies somehow fills the void.

The picture is a bit dark but it's the best of the four. The 2nd was blurry, the 3rd had Steve bent over, the 4th had Gary bent over. Everyone needs to identify themselves. I'm in the 2nd row, 2nd from the left, sandwiched between Snoopster's SO and Gavin. It's a fairly large image.
http://www.thorn.org/images/misc/TWT_group.jpg

Well, I bugged out before the picture. I needed to get home 'cause I'm racing tomorrow. Nice to see you guys there.

BTW, did anyone notice the Diamo exhibit? They've added a little bling to my LS200, an upside down fork. :lol: I'm sure it don't work any better, but it looked cool. They've got a $1995 MSRP on it and I was selling 'em for $1500. But, heck, maybe the dealer cost went up cause I haven't bought any in 6 months. Kinda got out of that working over in Edna now. They had that convertible top scooter there. I'd been wanting to see that thing. Looks nice, might be nice if it had a little bigger motor in it, maybe a 250. It just ain't up to highway stuff. Be great in the city. It comes with optional rear view camera ..:rolleyes:.., optional DVD player (like you're going to watch sponge bob while commuting?), and an optional GPS (that's neat). I was hoping they'd have that sport bike they're showing on their site, but guess they haven't gotten it, yet.

Last edited:

Jack Giesecke said:
They had that convertible top scooter there. I'd been wanting to see that thing. Looks nice, might be nice if it had a little bigger motor in it, maybe a 250. It just ain't up to highway stuff.

I had never heard of Diamo, but when I talked to their reps, they said there was a 250cc version of the scooter coming out soon. It has ABS and a 12V power adapter too. I didn't think to check for cupholders. ;-)

Of course, when I asked if they had any dealers nearby, they didn't know :suicide:

xtalman said:
I had never heard of Diamo, but when I talked to their reps, they said there was a 250cc version of the scooter coming out soon. It has ABS and a 12V power adapter too. I didn't think to check for cupholders. ;-)

Of course, when I asked if they had any dealers nearby, they didn't know :suicide:

Don't take much to be a dealer. I was selling 'em here for a while, approved sales and service. Since I've partnered in a deal over in Edna doing small engines and farm tractors, I've not been selling 'em. Only thing I've sold Diamo was the LS200 DPs. I have one here and it's been a good bike. The first one I sold of that lot is still going strong mostly off road in hard use. I've heard no complaints from 'em. My partner wants to check out this place off Pinemont in Houston that's selling stuff dirt cheap. They have four wheelers for unreal cheap and he thinks we can move 'em over there to the farmers and hunters, but I'm a little leary. I know what I've seen from Diamo I can believe in and sell, but these things are so cheap from this other outfit, and I don't wanna sell junk. Farmers tend to be hard on equipment. You should see the condition of some of the four wheelers I get in there to work on. :lol: They'll neglect a Japanese four wheeler to death in five years.

I've seen that this chinese stuff varies in quality. The Diamo stuff isn't the best I've seen, but it's certainly not the worst. I can deal in them and be confident I'm selling a quality product, now. I don't know that about that Pinemont distributor. Their URL is http://www.acedivision.com/ .

BTW, you can buy direct from Diamo in Sugar Land and they have the parts and such you might need. The URL is http://www.diamousa.com . However, it doesn't hurt to have a service dealer near by for warrantee issues and such. They list a 600cc sport bike on that site that they didn't have at the show, still to come I guess. That fancy scooter ain't that cheap, retails for 4K or something. Not something I'd buy on a whim, LOL, and gimmicky as heck. I don't really see the practicality of the top. Might be better to take that out and use the space for luggage. But, I guess it could be nice, have to live with it a while to see.

They list a 600cc sport bike on that site that they didn't have at the show, still to come I guess.

The sportbike listed on that site looks suspiciously like a Yamaha YZF600.

terrebandit said:
It would be nice to put some names to these faces.
There were four cameras in use for this photo session so someone must have a better quality shot than me to post up.

Here is the group pic with a little fill flash added to lighten it up.

TWT_group.jpg

Yes! Someone attempt to name this bunch:

Standing: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8.
Kneeling 2nd Row: 1. 2. 3. 4.
Sitting Front: 1. 2. 3. 4. 4¼. 5. 6. 7.

I'll make a feeble attempt.

Sitting:
2 Debbie (Snoopster)
3 Scott (Komandant Klink, err, Tourmeister)
4 Beth (Blue Bomber)
4.25 Sarah (Princess)
5 not sure, Claire maybe?
6 Rita (Hurricane Rita)
7 Rebecca (Squeaky)

Kneeling
2 Brian (Texas T)
3 Gavin (skid)
4 Steve (cruizintexas)

I probably should know some of the standers but I am drawing a blank right now... :-(

I am 4th from the left in the back row.

It was nice meeting everyone.

Vaughn

Oops, sorry Vaughn - I should have know that was you (met you at King's a while back). :oops:

The show seems like it's getting fewer and fewer vendors each year. I drove over there with a wallet full of cash hoping to pick up some gear. But I went home empty-handed because nothing seemed interesting. Motoliberty, which usually has the largest vendor display, didn't even show up.

As for the bikes, Husqvarna had a supermoto bike decked out in stealth black that I really, really wanted. I like the new FZ1, although I would replace the stock triple clamps with some lower ones offered by the factory. Likewise, the handlebars on the Ninja 650 had a weird (to me) feeling, a narrow bar with too much of a pullback. Both the Kawi ZX-14 and the BMW K1200R are as homely in person as they are on paper, but that doesn't matter if you're cruising along at 150 mph. If I had the discretionary income to do so, I would drop it on a MV Agusta F4 or the Brutale. Especially that Brutale with the Corse kit. The Yamaha R1 LE limited edition is an excellent bike to kill yourself on if you happen to have $18 grand lying around.

And I was hanging around the Buell display for so long that I think one of the rep girls was eyeing me suspicously. A XB12 may be in my future.

Why is Mark (Texian - 3rd from left) pouting?

Red5 said:
Why is Mark (Texian - 3rd from left) pouting?

I'm pouting 'cause I paid 32bucks to get into a sorry excuse for a show.
Acutually, I was looking at little Sarah laughing at how unfazed she was at the BMW guys attempt to get here to look at the camera.
(by the way...Me 3rd standing from left, Sarah (Redd) 1st sitting from left)

I have the same feeling as most of yall. I wen't last year to Dallas and it was pretty good.
This time I had cash to burn, and not even half of the vendors were there from the '04 Dallas one.
Over at one of the Arai tents, I asked if they had any "Deals"...he pointed me to the Rx7rr Edwards rep. ...500$ and proceded to tell me what a steal it was:rofl:
After a chuckle, I asked what his Arai XD were going for.....I almost spewed my beer all over the booth. Almost 100$ more than I could get it ANYWHERE...Cyclegear, online, ANYWHERE. I kindly thanked him for his time, for me it was time to go.

Major dissapointment in the Show, but as usual It was great seeing everyone.

Did everyone vote on the custom Monsters at the show? I'm thinking that this one is abrussich's wife's bike:

Guess I could have read the placard on the seat to confirm who's it was, but I was too dazzled to notice. :suicide: Anyway, it certainly earned my vote! :clap: Did anyone find out what the results of the contest were?

Another cool thing I noticed was the tread pattern on the tires of the new retro Ducati models -

Looks like a ringer for the classic Pirelli Phantom. 8-)

Last edited:

Texian said:
I'm pouting 'cause I paid 32bucks to get into a sorry excuse for a show.

You could have driven 6 hours round trip, and paid $8 for parking only to have your daughter declare she doesn't feel well after ingesting a $6.50 BBQ sandwich and a $3.50 soda. :-P I felt ill after paying for it. :help: I did enjoy my 2.5 hours there while it lasted.

Sitting
#5 Amanda (afrazier)

Standing
#8 Randy (Cherioer)

To the most esteemed Scratch, thanks for your vote and comments. That was my wife's bike and it won first place in the contest. Thanks to all who came out and took the time to really look the bikes over. A lot of time went in to some of the bikes and the scrutiny is much appreciated.

As for the show itself, I add my vote to the "a bit disapointed" crowd. The lack of vndors was a common sentiment throughout the three days we were there. I think the show planners were expecting a good deal more judging by the open floor space.
Maybe we should look at it this way, it was our first year for having it here, perhaps next year if they do it again, it will get better. Keep the faith.

Congratulations on the win abrussich! They were all very nice customs, but your wife's bike really stood out, IMHO. 8-)

Very nice bike! It caught my eye from several booths away and I just had to go see it. Myself and another gentleman had a five minute discussion on the work that went into it. I had no idea that there was a contest or I would have voted. Again, congratulations.

Back